ADVERTISEMENT

Division II: Moreau Catholic vs. Esperanza

Without Kyree they don't have a chance. Logan and Newark couple sophmores that played will be really good. One of Logans sophmores scored 13 in the state game. Logan will win league next year. Washington has good low tier players. They will be 4th in league behind Logan, Moreau and Newark.

Where is Kyree going?

@MoneyTeam0115 @LoganHomer; take a moment and remember your 2015-16 Senior Class team, this year's 2016-17 Senior Class team and next year's 2017-18 at the moment will be lead by 2 Junior class athletes. The 2016 team had good offense but your 2017 team had great defense. Next year one of your future Juniors played great defense with your graduating 2017 Seniors. Your other future Junior plays a lot like the 2016 Seniors that lost to Monte Vista in the first round of NCS. At the moment he isn't a high level defensive threat although he will play defense in spurts. @EHS90 I see the entire starting 5 on Moreau [2018 - 1 Sr, 3 JR, 1 So] all with significant court time on this year's varsity team; they are the MVAL favorite. Washington has 2 returning First team All MVAL players; I don't understand why they are called low tier. Logan did well this season because of defensive play. I am not so sure that will duplicate next season without a committed 6'9" shoot blocker. Logan will be good but this year's team was great in comparison. The 2015-16 Logan team wasn't so bad either.

http://themval.org/MVAL/Boys_Basketball_All-League_files/MVAL Boys BB All League 17.pdf

Last edited:
Pending 2017-2018 MVAL:

Moreau [players with 30+ games returning]:
#00 class of 2019 - 2.3 pt avg
#10 class of 2018 - 5.5 pt avg
#22 class of 2019 - 1.2 pt avg
#24 class of 2020 - 21.3 pt avg
#55 class of 2019 - 4.4 pt avg

Logan:
#23 class of 2019 - 4.4 pt avg
#33 class of 2019 - 5.0 pt avg

Washington [All MVAL]:
#01 class of 2019 - 15.5 pt avg
#05 class of 2018 - 14.7 pt avg

Irvington [+25 games]:
#00 class of 2020 - 12.1 pt avg
#02 class of 2018 - 2.8 pt avg
#04 class of 2019 - 3.0 pt avg
#30 class of 2018 - 3.3 pt avg
#33 class of 2018 - 5.3 pt avg
#34 class of 2018 - 1.9 pt avg

American [All MVAL]
#24 class of 2018 - 13.2 pt avg

Newark Memorial [All MVAL]
#23 class of 2019 - 6' 2"

Moreau will be a perennial favorite given they are the only team in the league that can actually recruit. None of the other schools can throw free private school scholarships at players they covet. Walker will obviously be the best player in the league and LJ Anderson is tough. Newark will rebound from a down year. Had a young team and some injured guys who missed the season. Ashmore will have them competitive. Logan, as I mentioned earlier is going to come back to the pack. They had the benefit of a senior-heavy team and a key transfer in Edra who anchored the D. Great experience this year for the young guys. Washington will be in the mix. One of the all-league kids is an aberration given his dad is a coach. They have a good 2018 class though and will battle.

@Straight8 stats doesn't matter in this case because you put either one of Logans sophomores on Washington and they average 15 points. Logan was senior heavy. And their seniors combined for a balanced 52 of their 67 points a game. But once again did anybody know who Noah Conner or Ryan Parilla was before this year. To me it's obvious Logan is doing a great job developing those kids. It's all about having a complete program. None of those number or kids you named score 13 points in the state game against Roosevelt except Kyree Walker. But I'm just a basketball junkie that watches A LOT of basketball. You can hold me to this. MVAL will always be dominated by Moreau Logan and Newark. Washington will never surpass any of those teams. Maybe since your so high on that program maybe you can go help them stop losing to Logan and Moreau by 30 plus points

Reactions: LoganHomer
@Straight8 Moreau has 30 plus points returning. But you take Kyree out the mix and they have 13 lol. Anybody. Points aren't everything man. Of course the irvingtons and the Americans and washingtons have kids averaging double digits. Someone has to score lol. I'm sure someone on Mission San Jose averaged double digits. Are you saying they beat Logan or Newark next year. Come on man. I'll make a bet with you next year the league will go Logan, Moreau, Newark, Washington and the rest won't matter.

Moreau will be a perennial favorite given they are the only team in the league that can actually recruit. None of the other schools can throw free private school scholarships at players they covet. Walker will obviously be the best player in the league and LJ Anderson is tough. Newark will rebound from a down year. Had a young team and some injured guys who missed the season. Ashmore will have them competitive. Logan, as I mentioned earlier is going to come back to the pack. They had the benefit of a senior-heavy team and a key transfer in Edra who anchored the D. Great experience this year for the young guys. Washington will be in the mix. One of the all-league kids is an aberration given his dad is a coach. They have a good 2018 class though and will battle.
Look at how many public schools beat private schools in the state championship. Yes private schools can recruit but on the court public or private anyone can lose.

Look at how many public schools beat private schools in the state championship. Yes private schools can recruit but on the court public or private anyone can lose.
Of course but they still have an advantage that none of the other schools in the league have.

@Straight8 First of all, I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make because I was in agreement with you that Moreau will be the best team in the league in my opinion and that Logan obviously won't duplicate a season like this. Also, those are nice stats and all but the difference is that I watched both Moreau and Logan play almost all of their games this season and I can clearly see how empty those stats are for Logan. You're copying and pasting stats from maxpreps in HS basketball, come on now fam. You put Gabriel Hawkins/ Malcom Steadman on any other team in the league not named MC and they are all-league. Logan had great seniors but they had a 7 man rotation that lead them to the stats. 2/7 were sophomores and 1/2 were in the game in almost every crunch time situation.

Also do you not see the flaw in posting stats when these 2 were playing winning basketball behind seniors? Also the guys on Irvington and the other teams barely won while they were putting up the stats. Unless they only score 20ppg someone has to get those stats.

Logan will not be as good as this year, yes everyone knows that. But they won't be back with "the pack" either. Logan has always had alot of great athletes but our basketball program and coaching was flat out terrible. Also, with all due respect it doesn't look like that hoopman poster has any idea of what he's talking about when it comes to Logan or MVAL.

Say whatever though, see you guys in a couple months. I'm confident that you guys will see Logan has really changed it's culture around. Have a great summer peace

Last edited:
@LoganHomer @MoneyTeam0115 @hoopman2015 @meezymo ; Great input from all of you nice key points. LoganHomer I just had added you in earlier I wasn't arguing against you. I think we all agree Moreau is the leader in the Clubhouse.
The trick with the MVAL is when a team can't reload enough for the next season which led to an off year by Newark for example [not enough horses]. As far as coming back to the pack it is true just like the 2014-15 MVAL season when Logan lost twice to Newark, Moreau and yes Irvington to go 8-6 in league in the now Logan's Coach first year with the program. Logan's 8-6 record that season was also tied by American High of Fremont at 8-6. Irvington drop 74 points on Logan on the road and 72 points on Logan at home. Yes you can find these stats on MaxPreps but when you know first hand how it went down it's not just stats.
During the 2012-2013 season Moreau tied for second in MVAL with Logan at 10-4 with An ALL Freshmen Lineup. That was the Class of 2016 with the great Oscar and the Gang.
The recent success of Logan has been anchored by Senior Class players [not Sr. bench warmers]:
2012-2013 - 2 Sr.
2013-2014 - 4 Sr.
2014-2015 - 3 Sr.
2015-2016 - 7 Sr.
2016-2017 - 5 Sr. <Starters>
2017-2018 - 0 ??
The Logan's class of 2018 is under developed as far as court experience on the Varsity level in games against opponents like Dublin, Palo Alto, Moreau, DeLaSalle, Mission, etc. Every Senior listed from 2012 -2017 had prior years on the varsity level of playing time as underclassmen against competitive opponents.
So MoneyTeam yes folks knew about Conner and Parilla before this year. It was just their time to step up. And all of the 2016-2017 Sr. players had on court varsity level experience and competition. As for the Sophomore scoring 13 points in the State Championship, he has a tremendous upside however I am not sure the Logan roster can support him like a Moreau, Dublin or Roosevelt rosters. Those types of supporting cast can aid a One man Show.
The All League MVAL underclassmen will factor in next season in the MVAL. They already have the competitive experience on the court against talented opponents. Their development is a step ahead as they have already been leaders on their teams. If you could find minutes on this year's Logan team the 2 from Washington, 1 from Irvington, 1 from American and the 1 from Newark all could average double figures playing with the Logan talent. They can score the basket.
Lastly I don't have the facts but Logan has not dominated the JV or Freshmen ball in the MVAL. As a matter of fact the 2 sophomores and the rest of this years Logan's bench went 10-4 on JV last year during the 2015-2016 season.
So let's understand nothing against Logan Outstanding season this year, nothing against the MVAL [the league I know best] I just call it like I see it. Congratulations to all the Coaches and to all the boys for their great effort on the court.

Talk that he"ll be at a Prep School next year. I heard it today from a friend connected to Moreau.

As a sophomore? Is he going to try to emulate Bryce Harper and then go to a JC for a year to be eligible for the draft?

I knew that, but have normally seen mostly seniors go there, not many sophs (and was kidding about the Harper comparison). However, he is clearly a candidate for something like that. Would love to see him stick around and finish up HS at MC though.

There a greater chance that cows will fly over the moon than walker staying at Moreau. Just aint happening.

Reactions: observer22
There a greater chance that cows will fly over the moon than walker staying at Moreau. Just aint happening.

Well, one can only hope:
maxresdefault.jpg

Without Kyree they don't have a chance. Logan and Newark couple sophmores that played will be really good. One of Logans sophmores scored 13 in the state game. Logan will win league next year. Washington has good low tier players. They will be 4th in league behind Logan, Moreau and Newark.

Money Team, what happened to Logan last night? I am surprised they lost to Newark last night.

The fact that Logan lost at home, to a very poor(by their standards) Newark team should eliminate any talk of them being a top 20 NorCal squad. Newark lost to Sheldon by 40 last week!

@da real not sure wasn’t at the game. But let’s no discredit Newark like they don’t have one of the best coaches in the Bay. But yea Moreau will win league easily. They are head above everyone else. Frank is doing a great job with that group even with the departure of Kyree.

Newark had a slow start but have played better recently, did someone come back from an injury?

I think their "better play" is more a sign of the weakness of the MVAL. Ashmore is a great coach, but this year he doesnt have any horses.

@da real they actually had 3 players from Logan that transferred and is now eligible to play from what i hear. Talked to someone who was at the game last night. Said Logan was up as much as 12 in 2nd half and Newark just wanted it more.

Reactions: relittleton
To underscore how far Newark has fallen, they lost this weekend to Mission San Jose. Has that ever happened in the Ashmore-era?

@da real they actually had 3 players from Logan that transferred and is now eligible to play from what i hear. Talked to someone who was at the game last night. Said Logan was up as much as 12 in 2nd half and Newark just wanted it more.
Newark better prepared for this game. They got after it defensively, took and made wide open shots, played harder and smarter, and were more discipined. Turning point was around 2:30 mark in the 4th and the score tied, Logan player loses control and pushes a Newark kid. Player is ejected and NM knocks down 4 FTs. End of game, I saw Logan assistant going after ref and ejected.

Hmm Newark beats #7 Moreau. Let’s hear about them not being a top 20 team. Or let’s give some credit to Newark. They have now beaten two really good teams. Stop sleeping

Reactions: Fentons Cream
I think the league in general is a lot better and more balanced than the past. Going to be a crazy finish down the stretch for who takes the league title. Big game tuesday with Moreau and Logan. I might have to check that out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT