ADVERTISEMENT

Division II: Moreau Catholic vs. Esperanza

Esperanza leads Moreau 68-65 with 23.8 left. Esp. ball out of the TO. Great back and forth action

Strange game though. I felt like Esperanza was a good 15-20 pts better but they sort of toyed around and let MC in. Never felt they were going to lose.

So Cal Boy's 3 NorCal Boy's 2 heading to the Open Division final

North Coast Section 1 Win 2 Losses

Mission Valley Athletic League 0 Wins 2 Losses

I thought Walker was a beast but Milstead sort came down to earth after his record breaking performances during the playoffs. The stanford bound Kezie has potential to be great. Looks to have the complete package but Harrick was the difference. I don't think MC could have beaten that team. They didn't shoot that bad % wise from the foul line. Esperanza didn't score a FG for almost a qtr and still won. They always seemed to be in control.

Who knows.. He played great whether he's a fresh or jr. But seems like he last true fresh by legit age who was 5 star was Aaron Gordon.

Impressive that Esperanza was just a group of kids that stayed together since the 3rd grade. When is the last time you've seen that in this era of transfers?

@Straight8 youre a Mission Valley League hater bro lol. What have they done to you? You must have a kid that used to get abused by Moreau or Newark back in the day lol. Congrats to Moreau and Logan on a great season. No league has ever had two teams in state. Congrats to the MVAL which is a "horrible league" lol

Reactions: LoganHomer
Larry legend33

Glad you came out of hibernation but should of known you would once Moreau lost, didnt hear ANYTHING during their run but here you come when they lose, you are a JOKE man like FOR REAL, Milstead came down to earth? What do you mean by that? He hasnt came down to earth his entire senior year have you been following? He had a tough 1st quarter 0-6 in 1st quarter all shoots he took went in and out but also ended up with 22 in 3 quarters, but everyone should expect that from you. But thanks mann for the 5 years of supporting Moreau Catholic, I wish you well my man.

#32 is the grandson of former UCLA HC Jim Harrick

He really was the difference maker in that game. Great spin moves and rebounder. Not sure what he ended up with since my view of their stat board was obscured, but I thought he outplayed Okpala or was at least a much bigger surprise since I was expected a lot of Okpala.

When I saw the name I asked the people around me if they thought he might be related to Jim. He may not be a top D1 guy, but will contribute well wherever he ends up.

Not on either side, but from the different bdays posted, he's legal(turns 19 after the season of Sr. year) & one of the oldest kids in his class by about 6 months, which is quietly common. It's a wash at any rate; if memory serves, milstead was one of the only/few young soldiers and highly-heralded 2017 class aau players who didn't re-class to 2018.

@Straight8 youre a Mission Valley League hater bro lol. What have they done to you? You must have a kid that used to get abused by Moreau or Newark back in the day lol. Congrats to Moreau and Logan on a great season. No league has ever had two teams in state. Congrats to the MVAL which is a "horrible league" lol
Unfortunately not true.
First, congrats to both teams on phenomenal seasons. Both teams in my opinion over-achieved and just fell short in the State game. Dublin was predicted to win D1 and BOD to win D2. Great seasons and great coaching from both programs.
In 2002 Riordan won the State championship and St. Francis lost to MLK Riverside by 1 point. Riordan also defeated SHC in the Norcal Finals that year.
Somewhere in the mid-90's Sacramento had 3 teams from the same league advance to State. I don't recall year, maybe 1995, or league but, 2 of the teams were Jesuit and Oakmont and I believe 3rd team might have been Foothill. Hopefully, one of our historians like Marcskit can recall.

Unfortunately not true.
First, congrats to both teams on phenomenal seasons. Both teams in my opinion over-achieved and just fell short in the State game. Dublin was predicted to win D1 and BOD to win D2. Great seasons and great coaching from both programs.
In 2002 Riordan won the State championship and St. Francis lost to MLK Riverside by 1 point. Riordan also defeated SHC in the Norcal Finals that year.
Somewhere in the mid-90's Sacramento had 3 teams from the same league advance to State. I don't recall year, maybe 1995, or league but, 2 of the teams were Jesuit and Oakmont and I believe 3rd team might have been Foothill. Hopefully, one of our historians like Marcskit can recall.

Congrats to Coach Easley and Coach Knight on getting their programs to the title game. Some coaches (and players) never get a chance to play for a state title. Logan was the 1st time since I was in high school and Moreau has gotten there 2 times in the past 4 year. Awesome accomplishments for both programs and coaches!

Unfortunately not true.
You are correct on teams , it was 1994. Drew Hibbs and Foothill won while Oakmont and Jesuit lost in final

Reactions: hoopisthegame
1994 Sacramento 3 teams from same league Foothill, Jesuit, Oakmont
2012 and 2013 Mitty and SHC

Reactions: hoopisthegame
LoganHomer pointed out that it would have been great if Walker was another year older and had one more year of experience. I simply pointed out as a two-year holdback (which is absolutely true) he should have been playing in HS already. The kid can flat out play, regardless of the age, but lets not act like this is some kind of wunderkind "true" freshman. I give Damari a lot more credit, because he is actually young for his class and didn't need to resort to this holdback mentality that you see is much more pervasive these days.

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
LoganHomer pointed out that it would have been great if Walker was another year older and had one more year of experience. I simply pointed out as a two-year holdback (which is absolutely true) he should have been playing in HS already. The kid can flat out play, regardless of the age, but lets not act like this is some kind of wunderkind "true" freshman. I give Damari a lot more credit, because he is actually young for his class and didn't need to resort to this holdback mentality that you see is much more pervasive these days.

Just to clarify, my point wasn't really about him having more experience this year. I meant that it would have cool to see him play with the Damari Milstead, Oscar Frayer, Terrell Brown and Brandon Lawrence squad. Can you imagine them with a 6'5 athletic monster who can score 20 any given game? They would have def. done much better in the Open Division

How embarrassing it must be for a kid to be held back 2 years for sports. I mean that is ridiculous. The kid is a talent. If he was a soph or jr I'm sure he would have offers. Not taking anything away from that fact. Let me ask this. Will be be eligible his senior year?

In HS does it really matter? With so many Kids ranging in age from 14-19 yrs old if you can dominate & put up numbers who cares if you're a year older for your class. I didnt know they had true Freshman in HS? What is a true Junior or Senior? Do colleges care if you're 18 or 19 when you graduate. Or is that just something for all these Hoop Haters to harp on??

How embarrassing it must be for a kid to be held back 2 years for sports. I mean that is ridiculous. The kid is a talent. If he was a soph or jr I'm sure he would have offers. Not taking anything away from that fact. Let me ask this. Will be be eligible his senior year?
Yes! CIF eligibility rule is you can't turn 19 before the Season officially starts. Walker is Eligible. however if he continues at this pace I wouldnt rule out a Reclass up to 2019 though!

Just Curious Bob33. How do you know he was held back for Sports reasons?

Believe it or not age does make a difference. Is he a 14 year old fresh who is 6"6 and baby faced or a 16 year old grown man? Coaches look at upside. How much more is he going to grow? How does he compare to his peers in his class.

It's like a senior from byu who is 24 vs a 20 year old European kid going to the pros. Makes a huge difference.

Of course it's sports related. Is that even a ?.

The kid can play. No doubt. But some of you need to open your eyes and look around.

Look around for what? He is clearly talented for his age and grade. Josh Jackson is 20 years old college freshmen. He is going to be a top 5 pick in the draft. If you can play...you can play.

Reactions: frencheezy
well next yr we will how good he really is. He will not have one of the best player in the bay area on his team. Now you can gear your defense to slow him down if you can. Can he lead a team? But keep it real HE IS TALENTED, also the fact that is he two yrs older then most Freshmen. So that play a part on how his game viewed. Question is he one of the best 16's ( well actually 17's since he be 17 in NOV). in the country? And we all know that he will play D1 college basketball for free!

Moreau will not be a one man team; look out. There is another guy that started or was the 6th man that has been a varsity type player since his freshman season. Also several sophomores from this years team are returning.

Believe it or not age does make a difference. Is he a 14 year old fresh who is 6"6 and baby faced or a 16 year old grown man? Coaches look at upside. How much more is he going to grow? How does he compare to his peers in his class.

It's like a senior from byu who is 24 vs a 20 year old European kid going to the pros. Makes a huge difference.

Of course it's sports related. Is that even a ?.

The kid can play. No doubt. But some of you need to open your eyes and look around.
Just like I thought. Bob33. just wanted to see if you would show your hater Side. It's obvious you don't know a thing about this Kid's History & it's really sad that you're a Super Hater on a Kid! If he doesn't grow another Inch he'll still be a 6'5" Big Guard who can play either Guard Spot.

Reactions: frencheezy
Moreau will not be a one man team; look out. There is another guy that started or was the 6th man that has been a varsity type player since his freshman season. Also several sophomores from this years team are returning.

They aren't going to be bad next year, and even if they're not great they will be a good team that's going to get even better progressively over the next 2 or 3 seasons with Kyree leading the way. They only had 2 or 3 seniors on the team with 6 sophomores and 2 freshman. None of them put up big numbers but they're talented.

They'll be a young team next year though so we should keep that in mind.

actually Moreau has alot of quality players on the team. I thing they can be in the running for the title with or without kyree. just matter of what Logon or Newark has in the pipeline. usually the rest of the league is not good. Washington of Fremont be decent sometime

Without Kyree they don't have a chance. Logan and Newark couple sophmores that played will be really good. One of Logans sophmores scored 13 in the state game. Logan will win league next year. Washington has good low tier players. They will be 4th in league behind Logan, Moreau and Newark.

Reactions: LoganHomer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT