ADVERTISEMENT

Division III: Mission vs. Villa Park

Folks,

Can anyone explain how SoCal slots their teams into Divisions? I know NorCal is by enrollment but Villa Park was listed (in wiki) as having a population of 2400 students.

Mission is around 1100'or so. Big disparity there. Mission did good and beating a bigger school is even better

Will Mission's Friday win in a CIF state final, combined with a stellar 35-1 record, finally wake up the people who run the San Francisco Unified School District? Will that historic victory jolt those officials to the realization that competitive athletics can be one of the district's most helpful assets when it comes to matters like public perception, enrollment, alumni support and the self-respect of the students at large? We hear lots of buzz phrases about those things. But few, if any, folks in charge actually understand (or seem to care about) what competitive athletics can do for young people. Maybe Mission's accomplishments can alter that situation. Maybe not. But at least Friday's triumph in Sacramento can be a start, a prod in the right direction. Let us hope.
Simply put...no.

So, Oakland and now a San Francisco public school has won a State title in the modern CIF format. I do not recall if a San Jose public has won a State hoops title?
I think Lincoln went undefeated and got a state championship in 1966 or somewhere around there.

True but in the Lincoln gym there is a banner that says 1966 undefeated state champs, which I'm not sure how true it is.

It's not. It may have been a final state ranking by a newspaper, magazine, etc. But there was no true state title (s) back then. That great Lincoln team won the old Peninsula Basketball Tournament (a rival to the TOC in the East Bay) handily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT