ADVERTISEMENT

Division III: Mission vs. Villa Park

It is hard to describe what this means for all of the SF public schools across the many decades. The AAA may have fallen on very tough times, but Mission's achievements this season are terrific balm for the city sports soul. Simply a great and historic story. Large kudos to the people at Mission, the coaches, players, parents, students, families, staffers, alumni, etc. This one means a lot to a whole lot of folks. Nice work.

Was it me or was VP's offense sorta weird. They never tried to get the ball inside. The basically ran a weave on the perimeter and jacked up shots. Then when in trouble they would drive and get to the line.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Let's be fair. There was a 55-year hiatus when there was no CIF state hoops tourney. It would not be out of line to state that, at several points during those 55 years, a public school from the AAA probably would have won a CIF title. But we can't know that for sure. Nonetheless, what Mission accomplished is definitely one for the ages. Congratulations to one and all.

So, Oakland and now a San Francisco public school has won a State title in the modern CIF format. I do not recall if a San Jose public has won a State hoops title?

Bones good post and great for AAA. For a couple other folks, guys, a little team out of NorCal won the state title. Let's take a moment to ALL celebrate and congratulate them instead of saying my city or team has more trophies than yours. Hilarious.

Congrats Mission! Outstanding.

Reactions: Bob33 and Scott2138
Got it. Can't recall a San Jose team winning a CIF crown. Not Camden. Not Willow Glen. Not Lincoln. No.
San Jose does have a Team track & field state championship.
Jeneba Tarmoh at Mt. Pleasant, she won both the 100 meters and 200 meters at the CIF California State Meet both her 2006 junior[2]and 2007 senior[3] years. She was also part of the 2007 CIF State Championship team from Mt.Pleasant High School. I was at both of the state meets.

Reactions: jordan24
San Jose does have a Team track & field state championship.
Jeneba Tarmoh at Mt. Pleasant, she won both the 100 meters and 200 meters at the CIF California State Meet both her 2006 junior[2]and 2007 senior[3] years. She was also part of the 2007 CIF State Championship team from Mt.Pleasant High School. I was at both of the state meets.
Ok. But nothing in basketball - boys or girls, right?

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
What will the SHC and Riordan posters do for next 8 months? Congrats Mission Bears for representing your league, alumni, community AND your City. We all win fellas.

For those of us who watched Mission all year; they were different. Defense ran the disciplined offense. Not unlike a WCAL team. Only problem, after preseason, all got lulled to sleep due to their AAA schedule. But even then, they were different. Nobody would take them seriously until they played a WCAL-caliber team. We know how that ended.

Look a special team that fortunately most finally had a opportunity to see, even if it was just during the State Championship game. Again, a bunch of City kids (allow me to say that again, CITY KIDS) that put together something very special.

Last edited:
What will the SHC and Riordan posters do for next 8 months? Congrats Mission Bears for representing your league, alumni, community AND your City. We all win fellas.
I congratulated Mission and was rooting for them the whole way. No haterade in DNA for 415 Public School!

Reactions: CityVibesII
Congrats to the Bears! I watched the first half and had to bail due to a dinner "date" with a woman I was meeting for the first time (SERIOUSLY). Despite this, I had to check on the score during dinner, luckily she didn't seem to mind. ROFL.

Villa Park's offense seemed to be stagnant in the first half and it sounds like it didn't change much in the second half. I thought Villa Park's size would be the difference but I guess they never took advantage (same as Vanden).

Reactions: slick58

For those of us who watched Mission all year; they were different. Defense ran the disciplined offense. Not unlike a WCAL team. Only problem, after preseason, all got lulled to sleep due to their AAA schedule. But even then, they were different. Nobody would take them seriously until they played a WCAL-caliber team. We know how that ended.

Look a special team that fortunately most finally had a opportunity to see, even if it was just during the State Championship game. Again, a bunch of City kids (allow me to say that again, CITY KIDS) that put together something very special.

Mission Brings 1 Home to The 415

So happy for those boys! I didn't attend Mission or even play ball in The AAA but I'm from the Mission (Grew up on Army St. back before it became Cesar Chavez; Real City folks know whats up) and this one is about more than a school.

This one is for every kid from SF who was never given a chance. For the HP kids. For the Sunnydale kids. For the kids that the media doesn't realize still exist in SF.

This one is for Ray Bass. The Mission Football and Hoops standout who was killed before he could ever cross the stage.

Enjoy it gentlemen. You made SF proud!

#CitySituation

I posted and gave praise to these Mission kids. I mean they eliminated SI! They did it for The City and couldn't be more proud of those guys. Terrific season. One for the history books.

Will Mission's Friday win in a CIF state final, combined with a stellar 35-1 record, finally wake up the people who run the San Francisco Unified School District? Will that historic victory jolt those officials to the realization that competitive athletics can be one of the district's most helpful assets when it comes to matters like public perception, enrollment, alumni support and the self-respect of the students at large? We hear lots of buzz phrases about those things. But few, if any, folks in charge actually understand (or seem to care about) what competitive athletics can do for young people. Maybe Mission's accomplishments can alter that situation. Maybe not. But at least Friday's triumph in Sacramento can be a start, a prod in the right direction. Let us hope.

Will Mission's Friday win in a CIF state final, combined with a stellar 35-1 record, finally wake up the people who run the San Francisco Unified School District? Will that historic victory jolt those officials to the realization that competitive athletics can be one of the district's most helpful assets when it comes to matters like public perception, enrollment, alumni support and the self-respect of the students at large? We hear lots of buzz phrases about those things. But few, if any, folks in charge actually understand (or seem to care about) what competitive athletics can do for young people. Maybe Mission's accomplishments can alter that situation. Maybe not. But at least Friday's triumph in Sacramento can be a start, a prod in the right direction. Let us hope.

Its definitely something positive. Its always welcoming. There's just too much wrong with SFUSD from lack of quality teachers due to insane cost of living. Many teachers just cannot afford to be teachers much less in our beloved city. Then theres the lottery system to where you go which just is a disaster in itself. I don't even know how or when this can improve. I just know families and kids are moving out of SF to friendly school districts. Charter schools are starting to pop up which is nice and an alternative.

Yes Mission winning it all does give us a breath of fresh air when talking about The City.

Congrats out to Mission team and their state title!!! Players, coaches, fans, parents, community, and city!!

Way to make end of game a thriller!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT