13) West Campus
14) ESCP
15) Brookside
16) CN
17) MA
18) Antelope
19) campolindo
20) Lincoln

Anybody else have any early Ranking predictions?????

Last edited:
If you had to put West Clovis in NorCal. I would list them in the top 5, maybe top 3.
Many of these teams play each other within the months of Nov and Dec. it will be interesting to see how those games go.

In my opinion early Ranking 2017

1) Mitry
2) Salesian
3) McClatchy
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) SMS
7) Carondelet
8) SHC
9) Carondelet
10) Sac High
11) Vanden
12) Oak Ridge
13) West Campus
14) ESCP
15) Brookside
16) CN
17) MA
18) Antelope
19) campolindo
20) Lincoln

Carondelet is accidentally listed twice at #7 and #9. McClatchy should be ranked farther down at #18. McClatchy lost to Oak Ridge last year. McClatchy will NOT be ranked very high in MaxPreps, but will probably make the Top 20 in NorCal by CalHiSports. Two completely different ranking criteria. McClatchy will be lucky to be ranked by MaxPreps in the Top 50 in NorCal, if the last three years (seasons) are any indication of MaxPreps' ranking formula and criteria.

cptmycpa

This year will be different with all them mustangs playing toget her. McClatchy going to push the pace and with Oak Ridge lose one of their main guards it going them hurt. Yes the have a tall front but need a special guard to feed them right and some that can bring up the ball with all that pressure.

Last edited:
In my opinion early Ranking 2017

1) Mitry
2) Salesian
3) McClatchy
4) Pinewood
5) BOD
6) SMS
7) Carondelet
8) SHC
9) SI
10) Sac High
11) Vanden
12) Oak Ridge
13) West Campus
14) ESCP
15) Brookside
16) CN
17) MA
18) Antelope
19) campolindo
20) Lincoln

your ranking of McClatchy high (at #3). I think they are SJS surprise team and it wouldn't shock me if they won SJS D1 this year. I would absolutely agree they end up in the top 8....

dislikes:
SI is too high to start. 19 or 20 is better.

where is Miramonte?? They should be in the top 10....substitute MM for SI

Antelope with the loss of the Johnson sisters is too high to start also. Probably shouldn't be ranked at all until they prove themselves.

and CN definitely should be at about #12 (ahead of Oakridge). No way West Campus or BC should be ranked ahead of them to start. I know BC is your squad, but you lost AMAC, by far your best player, BC in my mind is a wait and see(with questions) and definitely not ranked ahead of a state champion who didn't graduate anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Northbay

The only reason why CN won state was because default to the open teams (BCVK and Salesian). West Campus adding the Johnson Sister just beAmerican that team that team that can run and gun. They also can bring that high pressure to the guards.

As Antelope they still will be good with the Johnson sisters. Coaching is the biggest asset at that school.

McClatchy is not a surprise with the 2 transfers from Sac High 1 this year and 1 from last year. Courtesy Clark is a game changer plus with Jordan Cruz t h at some a good 35 to 45 a game plus other. They are built like SMS since they both consist Stockton Mustangs. Just to be honest between both teams they have 9 of 10 starting positions.

Northbay

The only reason why CN won state was because default to the open teams (BCVK and Salesian). West Campus adding the Johnson Sister just beAmerican that team that team that can run and gun. They also can bring that high pressure to the guards.

As Antelope they still will be good with the Johnson sisters. Coaching is the biggest asset at that school.

McClatchy is not a surprise with the 2 transfers from Sac High 1 this year and 1 from last year. Courtesy Clark is a game changer plus with Jordan Cruz t h at some a good 35 to 45 a game plus other. They are built like SMS since they both consist Stockton Mustangs. Just to be honest between both teams they have 9 of 10 starting positions.

Won the state by default? How do you win a state championship by default? So in your world Sacred Heart Cathedral and Eastside prep won their state championships by default last year? And Mitty and O'Dowd the year before?
AND Isn't that the EXACT scenario how BC made it to the state final the year before when they went? I don't seem to remember any complaints from BC when Salesian and SMB were put into the open that year.....talk about hypocritical...lol

as far as Antelope... unless the coach is putting ON a uniform, I'm not sure how that's helping.

and as far as West Campus... don't forget that CN beat them by 26 last year (63-37)...and again CN graduated no one.

NORTHBAY

All State Championships are at default since the made the Open Division. Answer this question did any team play the best team in their division last year??? When Brookside went to the state championship was it by default in away it was and another it wasn't. Brookside beat Salesian and SMB the year the went to state. Those 2 teams went to the open but I still think it was by default.

If everyone would follow suit with the SJS all the team that are the best in each division will be in D1 just like Brookside and year before MC.CCS needs to follow then Pinewood won't have that many titles. Just think D1 would really be the top division and not be the laugh stock that it has been for years letting D4 and D5 teams beat them.

BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS MAKE TO MUCH SINCE FOR ALL SECTIONS TO AGREE ON SOMETHING WITH COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!!

Northbay

CN beat them without the Johnson sisters that bring 30 pts a game between the both of them. They also bring a solid defender that can play one on one with the best. They will pressure the guard at CN and if the play them on a long court them the athleticism kicks in. I'm just being honest!!!!

S o the Iolani tournament....
early December
Mitty vs Salesian Semi One
LBP vs Clovis West Semi Two....

Anybody want to predict these games and the finals?

SI is way too high...more like 15

your ranking of McClatchy high (at #3). I think they are SJS surprise team and it wouldn't shock me if they won SJS D1 this year. I would absolutely agree they end up in the top 8....

dislikes:
SI is too high to start. 19 or 20 is better.

where is Miramonte?? They should be in the top 10....substitute MM for SI

Antelope with the loss of the Johnson sisters is too high to start also. Probably shouldn't be ranked at all until they prove themselves.

and CN definitely should be at about #12 (ahead of Oakridge). No way West Campus or BC should be ranked ahead of them to start. I know BC is your squad, but you lost AMAC, by far your best player, BC in my mind is a wait and see(with questions) and definitely not ranked ahead of a state champion who didn't graduate anyone.

While I haven't seen some of the top 20, there does seem to be a lot of parity after the top 1-2. But I'll give a little input on those I do know:

ST. MARY'S: Don't count out a team with that much tradition and the top 2018 in the country as well as the returning core. Yes, hurt by injuries, graduation and transfers, but still a couple players better than most on this list. I could see them as high as 2 as the season goes on.

PINEWOOD: Doc's teams are always well coached and shoot the lights out. Dangerous combo. 4 is prob right for now but could move up.

MIRAMONTE: Unranked? Open Division Runner-Up. Yes, they lost Sabrina which is losing a lot! As well as Delossantos. But they return a veteran core and are extremely well coached. A lot of people are overlooking them, which is probably fine with them. But they could fit in anywhere from 6-9. And they have some talented, underclassmen coming in to fill roles.

OAK RIDGE: Biggest front line in the state. 6-5, 6-3, 6-3. Coach White is a very good coach. Will the guard play allow them to establish themselves down low and hold up against pressing teams? They could go as high as 6 or 7 and down to 12 depending on these variables.

CARDINAL NEWMAN: Way to low in my opinion. Experienced starting five. Giant front line. Coach Mertle does a nice job with them. I think they could be a top 6-10 team. Possibly higher.

CLOVIS WEST: #9? Interesting. But we'll go out and earn our spot between the lines and see where we fall. Time will tell. Would be nice to know what region we will be pushed into as we begin this journey though!

I don't get to see many of the Sac area teams enough to know what they do and don't have. I do see a lot of parity and close games, injuries, illness, foul trouble could all have a huge impact in match ups as there isn't much difference between the top 3-5 and #20 on a given day. Fortunately, the teams will settle it on the court and not on a message board. But fun to look at nonetheless.

OK....

my preseason TOP 20....(assuming Clovis West is NOT in NCal)

1...MITTY...top 10 nationally and the early NORCAL OPEN favorite.
2...SMS...Just because they don't have the depth of previous teams don't count them out...that just means the starters play more minutes. In other words DeCosta averages 21/game instead of 13.
3...McClatchy...As I have already stated...I REALLY like this team to make a big run in the SJS D1 this year.
4...Salesian.....How high Salesian ultimately goes will depend on how Sierra Smith takes over for Minyon Moore. Moore was a beast and is a HUGE loss. If Salesian cant find a go-to offensive force, I think they struggle offensively as Moore covered up some offensive deficiencies last year. If they struggle offensively they don't make the OPEN. I could see them as high as 4 or as low as 10 or 11.
5. BOD... Salesian/BOD NCS D3 winner to Norcal OPEN. runner up???
6...PINEWOOD... good players who play hard and shoot the sh** out of the ball (just ask SMS) add in great coaching and they become a FORMIDABLE opponent to anybody in the state.
7...SHC...returns everybody from the D3 state champ....and they still have the big horse Limari'i....
8...CLET... D1, D2....what difference does it make? another year another section title...Yawn...business as usual for the east bay power.
9...MM....I completely agree with CW coach....flying a little under the radar this year. Still have a number of returning vets who have been thru the ringer. Will EASILY win the NCS D2 section, add that to a softer schedule than in the past and I think 30 wins isn't out of the question. Which means they are OPEN bound again in this mans opinion.
10...SAC.....talented squad. If they win the SJS D2 section, can grab a 3rd OPEN spot for SJS
11...CN.... returns everybody from the D4 state champ...should win the NCS D4 section. And will be in serious consideration for the OPEN.
12...MENLO-ATHERTON....best MA squad in 20+yrs according to those in the know..led by the Kaulehi sisters...depending on who gets pulled from D1 for the OPEN, could be the favorite to represent in Norcal state in D1.
13...EASTSIDE PREP.... back to back D5 state runs....The D5 Champs return everybody. Will play hard and leave it all on the court every game. Tough matchup....
14....OAKRIDGE... HUGE frontline getting a lot of pre-season hype. Can their play on the court match the expectations? They seem to be bowing out of sections/norcals surprisingly early the last few years.
15...VANDEN...Julia Blackshell-Fair leads the way for the defending SJS D2 champs who are looking to make another deep D2 state run.
16...WEST CAMPUS... 4 talented players with the transfer of the Johnson sisters. Questions remain on how well the 4 share the ball and whether they are up to grade defensively.
17...SMB....Blue Blood Norcal program could move up the standings if back to full strength.
18...CAMPO... Coach Thoms is in tough in the blood bath that will be the NCS D3 division with the likes of Salesian, BOD and SMB. But having 6'2 Hailey Van Dyke will help ease the pain. Is this the year that Campo can finally get MM in league?
19...PLEASANT VALLEY... the Vikes return 10 from a team that went 26-2 and return all state selection Sirene Tuitele at forward/center. We will find out how good they are right out of the gate as they are playing in the Cardinal Newman Classic on Dec1-3.
20...ST. FRANCIS... they play in the toughest league in NorCal (WCAL)...Last year they went 18-10 (6-6) with 5 freshman and they only graduated 3. I think they will finish in 3rd place behind Mitty and SHC and ahead of SI. They will be battle tested and playoff ready when sections/norcals roll around.

sorry RESPECT....but I think the loss of AMAC is just too much for BC.... the other girls haven't really done anything yet. They are going to have to prove it to me. I will put BC on the BUBBLE to start.

***** ONE NOTE: If CLOVIS WEST finds themselves in the NORTH.....pencil them in to the #2 spot in the rankings and bump everyone down 1.

Reactions: colhenrylives
I'm a SoCal guy but I think the rankings are really well done. I would say Clovis West would be a lot higher than #9 if they were in the north. They are a force in the southern region. What would you guys say would be the Top 10 in the south?

if Clovis West is truly a force, that would mean that a potential early season match up in Honolulu with LBP at the Iolani Classic should be a really good game. I'll assume both teams make it past their first round opponents.

If Mitty and Salesian make it past their first round opponents it will make for a good rematch from last years first of the NorCal Open.

NORTHBAY

FIRST of all, SMS don't have a true point to DeCosta the ball. She will try to take over the and that will hurt them. They will lose 3 to 4 games this year.

CN will win D4 because no one their in the section since Salesian and SMB move up out of D4. CAN SAY THAT WORD AGAIN DEFAULT!!!!!!!! Being tall don't mean nothing if you can't be physically right.

Salesian was going to beat SMS why do you think TOM cancel the game. Smith will be the difference maker.

ST. FRANCIS without T from last will be just ST. Francis of old. T was the difference maker on that team.

BC will be will be rank between 15 to 18 with 4 D1 and D2 Prospects. They are very quick and physical team. When they play team on a long court they will be trouble for other teams in the bottom 15 to 20. They will prove themself in time like the first tournament in Clovis.

Oak Ridge lost their point guard that going to hurt big time because she was the starter for the past 2 years. She was the only guard that was calm and collect when the pressure was on from the press.

northbaybbguru

sorry RESPECT....but I think the loss of AMAC is just too much for BC.... the other girls haven't really done anything yet. They are going to have to prove it to me. I will put BC on the BUBBLE to start.

Wow AMAC was their leader tremendous loss !?! but they return 4 starters from last years OPEN team........... girls haven't done anything yet ?
northbay dont turn into a loathing hypocrite dont take it personal CN should be ranked 10-11 to start the year !?!

Hey, I'm the loathing hypocrite around here. Don't go handing out my title to just anyone ...

As for all the rankings, lots of considered analysis rather than bombast -- and I would be surprised if Clovis West wound up in NorCals this year. The statewide consensus top five will include Poly, Mitty, SMS, La Jolla Country Day and Clovis West, I'd guess, so if CW does wind up that high, I don't think they'd be moved.

As always, though, injuries will tell a lot of the tale ... it would be wonderful if everyone stayed healthy.

Luv - I have had the pleasure of watching Brookside the last few years with AMAC and she was awesome. Their "OPEN" team, with her, lost their last game 109-41. In my opinion, North Bay is not being a "loathing hypocrite" he is being honest. Unless those 4 starters on Brookside have gotten A LOT better, I would say they will struggle with most teams that do not have 50 kids in their school.

My statewide top 5 is Mitty, LB Poly, SMS, Mission Hills, Clovis West. I'm from the south but I really enjoy watching pinewood and Cardinal Newman from the North. You guys would know more about the northern teams than myself, but I also heard Salesian and Mcclatchy are going to be very good. Thoughts?

OK....

my preseason TOP 20....(assuming Clovis West is NOT in NCal)

1...MITTY...top 10 nationally and the early NORCAL OPEN favorite.
2...SMS...Just because they don't have the depth of previous teams don't count them out...that just means the starters play more minutes. In other words DeCosta averages 21/game instead of 13.
3...McClatchy...As I have already stated...I REALLY like this team to make a big run in the SJS D1 this year.
4...Salesian.....How high Salesian ultimately goes will depend on how Sierra Smith takes over for Minyon Moore. Moore was a beast and is a HUGE loss. If Salesian cant find a go-to offensive force, I think they struggle offensively as Moore covered up some offensive deficiencies last year. If they struggle offensively they don't make the OPEN. I could see them as high as 4 or as low as 10 or 11.
5. BOD... Salesian/BOD NCS D3 winner to Norcal OPEN. runner up???
6...PINEWOOD... good players who play hard and shoot the sh** out of the ball (just ask SMS) add in great coaching and they become a FORMIDABLE opponent to anybody in the state.
7...SHC...returns everybody from the D3 state champ....and they still have the big horse Limari'i....
8...CLET... D1, D2....what difference does it make? another year another section title...Yawn...business as usual for the east bay power.
9...MM....I completely agree with CW coach....flying a little under the radar this year. Still have a number of returning vets who have been thru the ringer. Will EASILY win the NCS D2 section, add that to a softer schedule than in the past and I think 30 wins isn't out of the question. Which means they are OPEN bound again in this mans opinion.
10...SAC.....talented squad. If they win the SJS D2 section, can grab a 3rd OPEN spot for SJS
11...CN.... returns everybody from the D4 state champ...should win the NCS D4 section. And will be in serious consideration for the OPEN.
12...MENLO-ATHERTON....best MA squad in 20+yrs according to those in the know..led by the Kaulehi sisters...depending on who gets pulled from D1 for the OPEN, could be the favorite to represent in Norcal state in D1.
13...EASTSIDE PREP.... back to back D5 state runs....The D5 Champs return everybody. Will play hard and leave it all on the court every game. Tough matchup....
14....OAKRIDGE... HUGE frontline getting a lot of pre-season hype. Can their play on the court match the expectations? They seem to be bowing out of sections/norcals surprisingly early the last few years.
15...VANDEN...Julia Blackshell-Fair leads the way for the defending SJS D2 champs who are looking to make another deep D2 state run.
16...WEST CAMPUS... 4 talented players with the transfer of the Johnson sisters. Questions remain on how well the 4 share the ball and whether they are up to grade defensively.
17...SMB....Blue Blood Norcal program could move up the standings if back to full strength.
18...CAMPO... Coach Thoms is in tough in the blood bath that will be the NCS D3 division with the likes of Salesian, BOD and SMB. But having 6'2 Hailey Van Dyke will help ease the pain. Is this the year that Campo can finally get MM in league?
19...PLEASANT VALLEY... the Vikes return 10 from a team that went 26-2 and return all state selection Sirene Tuitele at forward/center. We will find out how good they are right out of the gate as they are playing in the Cardinal Newman Classic on Dec1-3.
20...ST. FRANCIS... they play in the toughest league in NorCal (WCAL)...Last year they went 18-10 (6-6) with 5 freshman and they only graduated 3. I think they will finish in 3rd place behind Mitty and SHC and ahead of SI. They will be battle tested and playoff ready when sections/norcals roll around.

***** ONE NOTE: If CLOVIS WEST finds themselves in the NORTH.....pencil them in to the #2 spot in the rankings and bump everyone down 1.

Very nice work. Great research and knowledge.

Luv - I have had the pleasure of watching Brookside the last few years with AMAC and she was awesome. Their "OPEN" team, with her, lost their last game 109-41. In my opinion, North Bay is not being a "loathing hypocrite" he is being honest. Unless those 4 starters on Brookside have gotten A LOT better, I would say they will struggle with most teams that do not have 50 kids in their school.

Winetot

Your 100% correct considering your position concerning BC ? In the past.......!?!

The difference being in the top ten is athleticism and coaching mixed. That is the honest truth in every sport that deals with running up and down. Some teams love to play on small courts but when it comes to section and state championships always played on a big court. This happen to MM in the state championship this past year. Can anyone name a team that won the Open State Championship that wasn't athletic. Yes MM made to the championship but just wasn't as athletic as Chaminadequate in the end. The Open championship is the only true championship game now days.

My statewide top 5 is Mitty, LB Poly, SMS, Mission Hills, Clovis West. I'm from the south but I really enjoy watching pinewood and Cardinal Newman from the North. You guys would know more about the northern teams than myself, but I also heard Salesian and McClatchy are going to be very good. Thoughts?

I like your list ... Salesian, McClatchy and Oak Ridge are probably the next tier, but have to prove they belong in the top five.

I'm not that familiar with Mission Hills -- who are their top players? Too bad they never go out of state to establish any national credentials.

Sue Phillips put together good schedule for Mitty.

BOD
Iolani Classic
Nike TOC
Coaches vs Cancer
La Jolla Cointry Day
SMS
Carondelet

Plus WCAL regular season. Inclusive of two vs SHC

Tough road ahead.

SHC at #7!? I think that's a bit low for a team returning 9 players, defending division III champs, and a POY candidate in Thomas. This is a well seasoned group of girls who took their lumps last year and as a result have that experience intangible. They have the size, depth, coaching, and star player to make that push to compete to win the OPEN the next 2 years actually. IMO I agree with Mitty #1 but other than that I think SHC can compete for the 1,2, or 3 spot. SHC also plays one of the toughest schedules just about every year. I also think Pinewood and CN are pretty low also.

This years SHC schedule:

La Jolla Country Day Tournament
St. Marys Stockton (at St. Marys Stockton)
Presentation Shootout vs Cardinal Newman
West Coast Jamboree
Miramonte Showcase vs Clovis West
Then the toughest league in the state!

Cityboy415

SHC will have the same problem they had last year at the point guard. If Thomas has to bring up the ball more then the point guard that will be an issue. You should win against CN because SHC is more athletic and physical so that's a given. The other games are good except your league when the only other competition is Mitty.

Cityboy415

SHC will have the same problem they had last year at the point guard. If Thomas has to bring up the ball more then the point guard that will be an issue. You should win against CN because SHC is more athletic and physical so that's a given. The other games are good except your league when the only other competition is Mitty.

I don't think they will have a problem at at PG this year. That experience last year I think went a long way. Not to mention there were some good guards at the JV level and a transfer PG. In league every road game is a good game. Mitty, SI, St. Francis are all top 20 teams so any night anything can happen.

Last edited:
WCAL note - Notre Dame Belmont is no longer in the WCAL, so teams like Mitty and SHC can schedule two more tough games than they could last year. Big bonus for them come playoff time.

Reactions: CityBoy415
northbaybbguru

Wow AMAC was their leader tremendous loss !?! but they return 4 starters from last years OPEN team........... girls haven't done anything yet ?
northbay dont turn into a loathing hypocrite dont take it personal CN should be ranked 10-11 to start the year !?!

PLEASE explain to me how anything I said was hypocritical?

loathing hypocrite?

northbay
Your right it's your opinion BC has to prove they belong ? I do apologize I allowed my emotions to respond. Your not Loathing..... just a hypocrite

And besides, I'm the only loathing hypocrite around here. Have some respect, please ...

Have anybody notice that Northbay Ranking is to pump the CN classic up. I can probably guess the brackets.

First round
CN vs Pleasant Valley
CAMPO VS MA
The other side of the bracket is very athletic!!!
SMS vs Oakland high
Sac vs SMB

Second round
CN vs CAMPO
SMS vs SAC

Championship
CN vs the athletic SMS or Sac High because that's a Grudge Match because a lot Mustangs playing each other.

Champion
SMS OR SAC HIGH

Have anybody notice that Northbay Ranking is to pump the CN classic up. I can probably guess the brackets.

First round
CN vs Pleasant Valley
CAMPO VS MA
The other side of the bracket is very athletic!!!
SMS vs Oakland high
Sac vs SMB

Second round
CN vs CAMPO
SMS vs SAC

Championship
CN vs the athletic SMS or Sac High because that's a Grudge Match because a lot Mustangs playing each other.

Champion
SMS OR SAC HIGH

Thanks!!!

I will be sure to forward your suggestions to the CN CLASSIC tourney director and to Coach Mertle.

I'm sure your suggestions will be given the consideration they deserve.

perhaps CLAY can hire you on to the WCJ and you can help him set up the brackets for that also.

Respect - I know CN was going to open with BC last year but your coach backed out. That would have been 1 good guard versus the unathletic bigs. I think Pleasant Valley will be really good this year, if CN opens against them that would be a great match-up. If I were running the tourney I would not open with PV and I would for sure have SMS and Sac on same side. It looks like a very competitive field, I would pump that tournament up as well. At least they aren't playing the games in a cafeteria, that's for sure a positive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT