ADVERTISEMENT

East back out against DLS

14U2ALLNV

Sports Fanatic
Jan 29, 2018
East has decided to back of its game with DLS this year. I have no idea why. I’m told they will possibly play Buchanan.

East has decided to back of its game with DLS this year. I have no idea why. I’m told they will possibly play Buchanan.

Maybe DLS will have 7 home games this season, now that the AV away game was switched to home vs. Folsom and the East away game has been shelved?

I let the guy who runs Prepgridiron logistics know so maybe he can help get them another national game

Reactions: coachlittle
St.Francis Academy (MD) has been contacted to see if they would like to contact DLS.

Reactions: bella123
Why are they getting another home game vs Odowd. Didnt they play at DLS last year

Why are they getting another home game vs Odowd. Didnt they play at DLS last year

Why they are even scheduling BOD is a better question, much less requiring they travel to OO 2 years in a row. I’m sure BOD feels it is worth it in order to be able to challenge their squad against the green machine.

Reactions: 1315
I’m sorry but you can go to almost anyone’s schedule and say why are they playing a certain team. Year in and year out DLS plays high caliber teams. So what if they have easy one here and there. After 8/17 Folsom should win out pretty easily. They don’t have BG coming up. Don’t think that just because you scheduled DLS the others will come. The others are begging for a game already.

Folsom should win out pretty easily.
I don't think so at all. They still have Chaminade AWAY, and one of the toughest leagues in NorCal. Plus they also play AT DLS.

I don't think winning out is as easy of a task as one would think. Especially with that schedule.

Go on SoCal preps forum. They don’t think very highly of Folsom wanting to play Chaminade over there others two choices for that week. They have lost a lot. Folsom should have a nice SoCal vacation. If they don’t walk all over the rest of there schedule then they are highly over ranked. I feel Folsom has a great team and program. But the only ranked team that I am aware of them having played is in practice.

What seems to keep getting overlooked is that DLS has had a massive advantage come playoff time. While everyone plays 10 games in the regular season, DLS has been 'Freelance' allowing them to have a very flexible schedule.

In the SJS, teams played every week to reach a state game. The NCS gives their open team a breeze into state. They get a bye before each game and do not play a regional game. So the SJS teams play THREE extra games come playoff time. The result is that DLS played 13 games in 2017 while Folsom played 16 and MD played 15. Any coach knows the value of keeping your team fresh come playoff time, and DLS has a HUGE advantage (on which they have not been capitalizing). I would label this the DLS FREE PASS/KEEP THE NARRATIVE ALIVE rule.

You can keep bashing Folsom for their non-league scheduling, or you can have intellectual honesty and compare SOS for the entire year and see that they are roughly equivalent (DLS's opponents had a rating of 41.09, while Folsom's opponents were 40.55). Basically zero difference.

But lets look a little closer. If you look at the best and worst opponents, then you will see DLS played BG (72.5) (BG's rating is roughly equivalent to Folsom and they whipped DLS), while Folsom's toughest opponent was Oak Ridge (53.7). If you look at the worst teams scheduled, then DLS played MV (11.4) while Folsom played Woodcreek (17.3). But the scheduling comes into much clearer focus if you look at how and when the teams schedule.

For the first 5 games, Folsom's opponents averaged 40.48, and in the second five games, Folsom's opponents were 40.62. If you look at DLS's opponent ratings, you will see that they were 53.46 during the first half and 28.72 during the last five games. To me the story is not Folsom's pre-season schedule, but it is DLS's purposely scheduling light during the second half of the season knowing that they have an easy road to the state games.

What seems to keep getting overlooked is that DLS has had a massive advantage come playoff time. While everyone plays 10 games in the regular season, DLS has been 'Freelance' allowing them to have a very flexible schedule.

In the SJS, teams played every week to reach a state game. The NCS gives their open team a breeze into state. They get a bye before each game and do not play a regional game. So the SJS teams play THREE extra games come playoff time. The result is that DLS played 13 games in 2017 while Folsom played 16 and MD played 15. Any coach knows the value of keeping your team fresh come playoff time, and DLS has a HUGE advantage (on which they have not been capitalizing). I would label this the DLS FREE PASS/KEEP THE NARRATIVE ALIVE rule.

You can keep bashing Folsom for their non-league scheduling, or you can have intellectual honesty and compare SOS for the entire year and see that they are roughly equivalent (DLS's opponents had a rating of 41.09, while Folsom's opponents were 40.55). Basically zero difference.

But lets look a little closer. If you look at the best and worst opponents, then you will see DLS played BG (72.5) (BG's rating is roughly equivalent to Folsom and they whipped DLS), while Folsom's toughest opponent was Oak Ridge (53.7). If you look at the worst teams scheduled, then DLS played MV (11.4) while Folsom played Woodcreek (17.3). But the scheduling comes into much clearer focus if you look at how and when the teams schedule.

For the first 5 games, Folsom's opponents averaged 40.48, and in the second five games, Folsom's opponents were 40.62. If you look at DLS's opponent ratings, you will see that they were 53.46 during the first half and 28.72 during the last five games. To me the story is not Folsom's pre-season schedule, but it is DLS's purposely scheduling light during the second half of the season knowing that they have an easy road to the state games.
You couldn’t be any more wrong. WOW. DLS has been screaming in the ear of the CIF for the past two years about how unfair it is that the SoCal teams get to play every week leading up to state. That is common knowledge. DLS was pissed that they only got to play 4 times in 8 weeks. While MD played 7 times in 8 weeks. And that’s what showed on the field. I’m not bashing anyone. I think Folsom is a great team. But is what your saying is that they have earned there ranking? Absolutely NOT. You saying DLS has an advantage because of there play off schedule is the most absurd thing anyone has written. Do you have any idea why DLS gets better as the year goes on. It’s not because they have byes or because they play weak teams. You trying has hard as you are to compare schedules is a joke.

Final question. Does Folsom play a tougher schedule year in and year out then does DLS?

I’ll go first: Your an IDIOT if you think so.

Why this game was canceled from a East fan

. A change in circumstances forced us to consider traveling down to Concord for the game instead. Unfortunately, our District said no to our program traveling out of state twice in one season despite our appeal of the decision.

Reactions: aztecpadre

. A change in circumstances forced us to consider traveling down to Concord for the game instead. Unfortunately, our District said no to our program traveling out of state twice in one season despite our appeal of the decision.
The game was scheduled to be played in Utah.

Did they mention what the change in circumstances might be? There must have been an issue with their field, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to travel to Concord if they didn't have to. And why not a neutral site in Utah?

I’m not sure why. But here is my take. Last season they lost twice to Bingham. Two transfers they were expecting decided just recently to go to Bingham instead of East. So I think the coach is trying to save themselves an ass kicking. That’s my opinion.

You couldn’t be any more wrong. WOW. DLS has been screaming in the ear of the CIF for the past two years about how unfair it is that the SoCal teams get to play every week leading up to state. That is common knowledge. DLS was pissed that they only got to play 4 times in 8 weeks. While MD played 7 times in 8 weeks. And that’s what showed on the field. I’m not bashing anyone. I think Folsom is a great team. But is what your saying is that they have earned there ranking? Absolutely NOT. You saying DLS has an advantage because of there play off schedule is the most absurd thing anyone has written. Do you have any idea why DLS gets better as the year goes on. It’s not because they have byes or because they play weak teams. You trying has hard as you are to compare schedules is a joke.

Final question. Does Folsom play a tougher schedule year in and year out then does DLS?

You seem upset. I would agree and I'm not sure why someone would bring up the massive disadvantage dls has in the playoffs. But Folsom schedule is no joke. And like I said before with the exception of St. John's, the teams they beat are about the same. STAY CALM. They will play.

Spot on brother.

Reactions: awood1
Spot on brother.
I’m going to stay calm. But I thought of you as a level headed Folsom fan until the “spot on brother” comment. Maybe it would be an advantage for Folsom to have so many byes. But DLS’s offense needs to play to stay sharp. I’m calm. Serenity now.

It’s why some call it N(orcal) C(rack) P (pipe.)

East Opinion?

I’m not sure why. But here is my take. Last season they lost twice to Bingham. Two transfers they were expecting decided just recently to go to Bingham instead of East. So I think the coach is trying to save themselves an ass kicking. That’s my opinion.
I don’t see it that way as they are opening the season in Texas against their top team Allen.Obviously he didn’t mention why the game no longer could be at East.I think everyone involved is disappointed

You couldn’t be any more wrong. WOW. DLS has been screaming in the ear of the CIF for the past two years about how unfair it is that the SoCal teams get to play every week leading up to state. That is common knowledge.

The fact that DLS has this schedule has nothing to do with the CIF. The section playoff format is determined by the NCS. As any coach could tell you, the byes are definitely an advantage even if you don't understand or agree.

But is what your saying is that they have earned there ranking? Absolutely NOT.

This is very dumb. Of course they earned their ranking. I understand you disagree, but multiple sources that have far more credibility all agree. Folsom was 16-0 and won a state championship. DLS finished 11-2 and lost to a great MD team. You place far too much value on DLS's history and that clouds your judgment. If DLS and Folsom played in 2017, maybe Folsom loses, but maybe they whip the crap out of DLS. BG whipped DLS and Folsom has about the same Calpreps rating. But you want to replace common sense with your own heavily-biased opinion.

Do you have any idea why DLS gets better as the year goes on. It’s not because they have byes or because they play weak teams. You trying has hard as you are to compare schedules is a joke.

Just about every team gets better during the year. If your point is that DLS underachieves/under-performs at the beginning of the year, fine. The schedule comparison is extremely fair and I think that is why you object so hard. DLS clearly plays a bunch of weak teams in the NCS. I think the analysis is pretty objective. So is your point that DLS is getting better while they are playing crappy teams? Or are you saying DLS looks better because the teams they are playing are weak?

No, I would not say Folsom plays a tougher schedule when viewed on a historical basis. But I also do not see why that is relevant. It does not change the fact that DLS played a bunch of weak teams in the second half of their 2017 schedule, then had weekly byes during the playoffs, and finally got drilled unmercifully by MD.

My wife would agree with you that I am an idiot. Your points might be better made if you dropped the emotion a few notches and refrained from name calling.

Folsom's league schedule is against a bunch of Division II schools. They play one Division 1 school that they beat every year. To suggest that this makes their schedule tough is overstating things. Nobody in their league gives them a game and most are boat races or 4 TD beatdowns, so the whole average SOS argument is silly. Bottom line is DLS plays more teams closer to their own ability than Folsom because they schedule them. End of story.

The fact that DLS has this schedule has nothing to do with the CIF. The section playoff format is determined by the NCS. As any coach could tell you, the byes are definitely an advantage even if you don't understand or agree.

This is very dumb. Of course they earned their ranking. I understand you disagree, but multiple sources that have far more credibility all agree. Folsom was 16-0 and won a state championship. DLS finished 11-2 and lost to a great MD team. You place far too much value on DLS's history and that clouds your judgment. If DLS and Folsom played in 2017, maybe Folsom loses, but maybe they whip the crap out of DLS. BG whipped DLS and Folsom has about the same Calpreps rating. But you want to replace common sense with your own heavily-biased opinion.

Just about every team gets better during the year. If your point is that DLS underachieves/under-performs at the beginning of the year, fine. The schedule comparison is extremely fair and I think that is why you object so hard. DLS clearly plays a bunch of weak teams in the NCS. I think the analysis is pretty objective. So is your point that DLS is getting better while they are playing crappy teams? Or are you saying DLS looks better because the teams they are playing are weak?

No, I would not say Folsom plays a tougher schedule when viewed on a historical basis. But I also do not see why that is relevant. It does not change the fact that DLS played a bunch of weak teams in the second half of their 2017 schedule, then had weekly byes during the playoffs, and finally got drilled unmercifully by MD.

My wife would agree with you that I am an idiot. Your points might be better made if you dropped the emotion a few notches and refrained from name calling.
Never called you an idiot. I said who ever thinks Folsom schedules tougher then DLS is an idiot. If you fall in to that category then I do apologize. I will say that Folsom fans have there heads totally stuck in Folsom dirt. Every coach to a man hates having byes. As far as getting better as the year goes, of course they all do but DLS seems to more so. Now that could be because they are so bad the first game. What ever. My point is not one coach on DLS wants a bye. As far as Folsom ranking. You can argue all you want, just give me one ranked team they beat other then in practice. And if you new how the points system worked you would not use that in your argument. Serenity now.

Also not just Folsom fans but all SJS fans. No matter how much or how bad you thump there skulls for them,they want more and more. You have to love that.

Reactions: remc
I've seen DLS boosters on this board previously declare that 16 games is too many for a HS team, and that they should not have to play that many games. Now that the NCS and Folsom Rule have shifted things and they only play 13, somehow its a massive disadvantage, and can (not so subtly) be used as an excuse for losing.

I've seen DLS boosters on this board previously declare that 16 games is too many for a HS team, and that they should not have to play that many games. Now that the NCS and Folsom Rule have shifted things and they only play 13, somehow its a massive disadvantage, and can (not so subtly) be used as an excuse for losing.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I haven’t really heard DLS make any excuses for any losses, subtly or otherwise. They didn’t create the Folsom Rule, two years of back to back NorCal Open Finals wins over Folsom seemed to have generated that.I think Folsom and DLS should have continued playing for the right to represent the North in the Open game. Folsom is a good enough program to have continued. Unfortunately, now everything is skewed when it comes to the perception that Folsom didn’t want to lose to DLS in the playoffs every year.NCS schools, particularly Pittsburg,understand all too well

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Forget boosters. Even though I don’t believe it. I know for a fact the coaching staff thinks it’s unfair. And it is. And it shows.

Also it’s not an excuse. Open your eyes, it easy for Your to say that when you get to play every week leading up to state. Through stones when you have to have 4 games in 8 weeks.

I have been sitting hear with a few of the DLS coaches. And there problem is with the byes. 10, 11,14,16 game’s they don’t care as long as it’s in a row. No byes. It’s kind of a sore subject with them.

It surprises me any elite level program would not want a bye heading into the biggest games of the year? I do understand the logic for a mid level or weak program that gets hot, but for a powerhouse it should only be benificial. I would say DLS relies on scouting and scheme more than any other elite so 2 weeks to prepare should only help. I mean college coaches sure seam to apreciate and utalize their time off before bowl games. Ha sorry for the length this is just one I had an actual genuine opinion on as I read the board.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I haven’t really heard DLS make any excuses for any losses, subtly or otherwise. They didn’t create the Folsom Rule, two years of back to back NorCal Open Finals wins over Folsom seemed to have generated that.I think Folsom and DLS should have continued playing for the right to represent the North in the Open game. Folsom is a good enough program to have continued. Unfortunately, now everything is skewed when it comes to the perception that Folsom didn’t want to lose to DLS in the playoffs every year.NCS schools, particularly Pittsburg,understand all too well

Agreed. It's just that complaining about the byes is akin to making excuses, but without having to say it. As Far Northern points out, there are definitely benefits to having byes as well.

CVC had the same bye prior to the first NCS Open game, Pitt had the same bye prior to the NCS Open title game, and MD had the same bye prior to the State Open title game. We heard no complaints from any of them.

Reactions: feedback1 and 1315
As do a few EBAL schools. No whining there, though. In fact, embraced the opportunities.

Reactions: observer22
Folsom's league schedule is against a bunch of Division II schools. They play one Division 1 school that they beat every year. To suggest that this makes their schedule tough is overstating things. Nobody in their league gives them a game and most are boat races or 4 TD beatdowns, so the whole average SOS argument is silly. Bottom line is DLS plays more teams closer to their own ability than Folsom because they schedule them. End of story.
Folsom must be really good then because the SFL is the #2 rated league in all of Ca, behind the Trinity League of Socal.

DLS just joined the EBAL. Look up the difference in leagues on Calpreps. And Folsom has DLS and Chaminade AWAY on their schedule this year.

If that's something to laugh at, there must be some real hatred in the air.

I said who ever thinks Folsom schedules tougher then DLS is an idiot
Funny- no one ever said that. If So, please quote whoever did.

As far as Folsom ranking. You can argue all you want, just give me one ranked team they beat other then in practice.
Folsom, their fans, and people on this board had nothing to do with their ranking. As I tell everyone who disagrees or makes accusations, there are outlets. You can call the ranking makers and argue your case. You can call the CIF if you think somethin is wrong. But to keep coming on here and slinging the same old "they haven't played anyone, haven't earned anything" BS is just getting old. Anyone who has watched the program knows how wrong that is.

If you weren't a regular like all of us and maybe a new 3rd party, you would think Folsom is some third rate loser program. If you didnt know better and just read these forums. Unbelievable.

Time to move on.

On other note- it sounds like someone is nervous about this game. I am excited!

Reactions: feedback1

That does not compute with what the East fan is quoted with. Is it fact East was asked to travel a second time to Concord? Opining East didn’t want face dLS again to “save themselves” is tainted since East delivered some humble pie last year. What DID those dLS coaches tell you a few days ago when you were “sitting” with them?

I love Folsom fans. Your ranking is fine. You have earned it. DLS has absolutely no business on the same field as Folsom. You let me under your skin which makes everything I said true. Scared? Get some defense. Then I will be scared. I truly believe Folsom is a great team and program. I also think DLS has put a little something together also. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone. I’ll I asked for was a reason why you were ranked so high. I haven’t got even close to an answer. But I don’t need one. Please don’t try. All this will be put to rest 8/17.

It surprises me any elite level program would not want a bye heading into the biggest games of the year? I do understand the logic for a mid level or weak program that gets hot, but for a powerhouse it should only be benificial.

You are right - every coach would want a bye during the playoffs. They probably would not want 3 of them, but the byes are extremely beneficial. The poster who suggested otherwise does not know what he is talking about and is just searching for excuses as to why DLS has been under-performing in the state games. DLS could easily have this changed by working with the NCS to change the playoff format.

You are right - every coach would want a bye during the playoffs. They probably would not want 3 of them, but the byes are extremely beneficial. The poster who suggested otherwise does not know what he is talking about and is just searching for excuses as to why DLS has been under-performing in the state games. DLS could easily have this changed by working with the NCS to change the playoff format.
I’m not going to argue with you. But when it comes to DLS you could not be more wrong. I know you hate DLS. That’s fine. I know first hand You will not find one DLS coach that wants those byes. NOT one. I have work with the NCS to try and change certain things. They don’t just change things. So on this subject you have no clue what your talking about.

That does not compute with what the East fan is quoted with. Is it fact East was asked to travel a second time to Concord? Opining East didn’t want face dLS again to “save themselves” is tainted since East delivered some humble pie last year. What DID those dLS coaches tell you a few days ago when you were “sitting” with them?
It wasn’t a few day ago it was yesterday. And they hadn’t talked to Lopez. Did not know why. The game was scheduled to be played in Utah. They dropped the game not DLS. It was just my opinion. I must have offended you and I apologize. Just to show you I’m not a bad guy. I’ll give you a little hint come 8/17 sprinkle some cinnamon over the top and it won’t taste so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT