ADVERTISEMENT

Elgin Leslie out at Carondelet?

Definitely not the one he's going to be in this winter..
Yikes! Always have to wonder when someone leads with touting their credibility. Also, when claiming to be knowledgeable it helps to be able to spell "knowledgeable". Seems like he has played a lot of ball. Still no idea, though, of what coaching qualifications landed him in the C-let hot seat.

Yikes! Always have to wonder when someone leads with touting their credibility. Also, when claiming to be knowledgeable it helps to be able to spell "knowledgeable". Seems like he has played a lot of ball. Still no idea, though, of what coaching qualifications landed him in the C-let hot seat.

Personal Logic has two Ls :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

As long as he keeps the team from throwing a section championship bash they should be okay.

Either that or if there are no pending lawsuits in and around the team this season they will be okay. And if people outside of the school didn't try to judge all children without knowing all the circumstances of why the school wrongfully punished the entire team just to try to protect themselves. Many things happen in and around the places where responsible children may be gathering socially in the supervised home of responsible parent(s) to cherish spending fun and quality high school time with their friends. Many times especially in this social media communicating high school world boys hear about girls (perhaps their girlfriend gathering with their friends) and boys go try to bash or join the so call party but aren't allowed inside. Sometimes unfortunate things outside of the home where the gathering takes place, and outside of other children's control happens. But to punish all the children and to label that entire group as bad party characters couldn't be further from the truth. But I do agree leadership from the top was very questionable that season. And better leadership from the top may have helped the situation that season, which was pretty much a disaster all season long. That team deserves so much credit for managing to hang in there (and accomplish all they did that season) under all the distractions they had to deal with that entire season. And for coming to the aid of someone who was unable to help themselves on the evening in question. Of course, that didn't make the 5 o'clock news or the internet until now. After carefully examining things ( which the school should have done initially) the school let go the people least accountable that season. The team, many of which are return players from last season, rightfully have an opportunity to play again this season. All the best and much success to the team, the new coach, and new parts of the administration.

Last edited:
Snarky reply: Playing DeAnza (4-13 and 873 in the state, including 51-point loss to John Swett) certainly should build confidence.

More to the point: I've always gone back and forth about setting high goals, or any goals at all. There are just so many variables. I've sort of settled on "Play the game as well as you can and the wins and losses will take care of themselves," as I've seen too many championships decided by luck and injury (ask Mitty) to define a season by setting particular goals and being disappointed if you don't reach them.

And I would disagree with Les Brown ...

Clay,

It looks like the new Carondelet coach wasn't done stacking his challenging schedule but appears to have completed it now. It no longer has De Anza on the schedule. I now see in addition to Pinewood, Mitty, Salesian, SJND, Bear Creek and Miramonte, SMS and SRV ( who some are putting in their top 20) along with a trip to Arizona to play in the toughest Prep basketball tournament in the nation, along with participating in your very own WCJ most likely at the highest level has been added. So perhaps we made a rush conclusion about how the team will actually be challenged or not this season. I think their schedule is pretty solid. What do you think.........http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/carondelet-cougars-(concord,ca)/girls-basketball/schedule.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: LBJ6
i forgot how much I didnt miss paytc... we moved past that incident long ago.. you should too

i forgot how much I didnt miss paytc... we moved past that incident long ago.. you should too

"As long as he keeps the team from throwing a section championship bash they should be okay".

"Seems to be true. That's a rough beat.. make the open div.. kids make poor decisions.. parents still get you fired"..

"Generally, when "positions are opened" and previous coaches "reapply," the job goes to someone else, but you never know. Elgin is a quality coach, and as far as anyone can tell, he had little or nothing to do with the postseason party that apparently was the trigger for these moves."

No actually I've seen comments from you and others either commenting or co-signing.

I think I have along with the administration put things in a better light for those who have jumped to the wrong conclusions.

And I've moved as far past it as anyone else who comments about it has.

But I must say it does feel good to hear you and possibly a few others miss me. I most likely won't be posting comments on this board after this season or the next at the latest. Once the kids who played on my daughter's team or should have played on her team have graduated, I'll be done supporting and speaking up for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinBrans
Good to see the change in the schedule ... Carondelet could indeed take a big leap forward this year. Lots of returning talent, and lots of size, which not a lot of teams have.

Reactions: Paytc
Good to see the change in the schedule ... Carondelet could indeed take a big leap forward this year. Lots of returning talent, and lots of size, which not a lot of teams have.

One advantage they will have this season over the 3 or 4 years prior is I think there will be a bit more emphasis on speed, IQ, and playmaking ability. And not only a fascination with size. They will be a quicker team than what people are use to seeing from Carondelet the past 3 or 4 years mark my words. And hopefully more discipline. I have a feeling a few speed girls who should have made the team last year or two will finally get pulled up. And circumstances will encourage the team to have the ability to create or adapt to where speed and tempos flow during games. They should be a fun team to watch once the coach gets to know what he's working with. Hopefully the return players will embrace the new players as that was always an area that needed to improve the past 3 or 4 years and most likely during the time Margaret was the coach also. But that I don't know for sure because Margaret had a firm hand on the team. But it seems like a culture that has been around a while. Nevertheless, I'm excited for them !

The new coach pulled up 1 of the 3 players I thought he should. He pulled up Kimani Holloway a girl that if she can stay healthy, should help add speed to a team that could use it. The other player he could have pulled up was sophomore Jalyssa Portis and one other I don't recall her name or number. He obviously pulled up Davis, and the freshman player to have some groomed size and talent for next season. I know 12 players is a much better number to manage than 13 or more. I have a feeling the coach knows Portis was perhaps good enough to get pulled up. And grooming her and his 2019- 2020 players for next season and beyond is important. Players that have an advantage of playing varsity sooner than later just have more time to adjust to the speed, pressure, and level of competition sooner. But perhaps Portis will get pulled up in the post season.

Based on what I have seen in only watching two games Carondelet's new coaching staff won't just let you beat them and be ok with it like in the recent past.

Some coaches let you beat them by either playing soft or playing not to lose. While some other coaches take a more aggressive approach and make you beat them. By not sitting back and letting the opponent be the aggressor. Instead going a step further to initiate and take on the challenge. So it's not quite as easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT