ADVERTISEMENT

Elle Ladine transferring

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
A Twitter feed today notes that the outstanding Lowell of San Francisco soph point guard is transferring to Pinewood in Los Altos Hills. Ladine was offered by Santa Clara University as a Lowell frosh.

This is a great get for Pinewood, especially with their four top players graduating in '21.

The rich get richer.

Big pickup for Pinewood, which was expected to be one of the top teams next season even before adding Ladine

I haven't seen Ladine but I assume she's good -- but Mitty is very deep and very talented. Presumably Ladine will have to sit out 30 days, which would be no problem if the season starts on time. But no one knows how they'll handle the sitout period if the season starts late, which it very well might.

Regardless, Mitty is still the preseason pick for me. Too much talent that we know about, and who knows which incoming freshmen or transfers might be difference-makers?

Yes sir, it was a joke. :) Pinewood added a nice piece, but they won't challenge Mitty next year. (I sure hope the games are played.) The year after will be interesting.
If ladine transfer is real will go with norcal preseason: mitty. Pinewood. Salesian. St joe’s. Bishop o down. Miramonte As norcal pre season rankings.

Yes sir, it was a joke. :) Pinewood added a nice piece, but they won't challenge Mitty next year. (I sure hope the games are played.) The year after will be interesting.

Pinewood should be able to challenge Mitty; whether it can actually beat the Monarchs and their non-stop influx of great gobs of South Bay talent remains to be seen.

I've seen her play.. she's good, don't get me wrong, but she will not make up for the 30pt difference there was between the teams this year. She is a nice piece added to an already good team but lets not get carried away just yet.

Reactions: colhenrylives

Pinewood is always underdogs, yet shocks people every year. While I agree with what you're saying, I'm not holding my breath against pinewood...taking down two number 1 teams in the country when you're lower ranked is very impressive.

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
Pinewood is always formidable and never to be taken lightly by the best programs in the state. They will be in the discussion next year.

I haven't seen Ladine but I assume she's good -- but Mitty is very deep and very talented. Presumably Ladine will have to sit out 30 days, which would be no problem if the season starts on time. But no one knows how they'll handle the sitout period if the season starts late, which it very well might.

Regardless, Mitty is still the preseason pick for me. Too much talent that we know about, and who knows which incoming freshmen or transfers might be difference-makers?

Plus a fully healthy Hunter Hernandez.

Assuming there's a season, Mitty will undoubtedly begin the year nationally ranked and certainly the top team in Northern California. For Sue and the program's sake, I hope we do get something close to a full season, because a great year could get Mitty right back up near the top in the country.

By top, I mean top five in the nation. They were top 30 this year and that's awfully damn good ... but maybe by their standards, it wasn't up to expectations.

By top, I mean top five in the nation. They were top 30 this year and that's awfully damn good ... but maybe by their standards, it wasn't up to expectations.
You've got to be kidding Clay.. coming from a coach really?? Do you really think if they would have won the open title that they would have cared what number they ended up at?? You play to the best of your abilities and wherever people want to rank you then so be it. They exceeded outsiders expectations and I am sure they believe they were in line to achieve their own expectations if there were 3 extra days of the season. (and btw I'm not convinced they weren't a top 10 maybe a top 5 team)

You kill me with your talking out of both sides of your mouth. I get you caring about dumb rankings because you do them, but you're also a coach, and the more I listen to you, the more I wouldn't want my kids to play for you.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Probably the best answer is this thread is no answer ... but still ...

I heard complaints, directly and indirectly, that I should have had Mitty in the top 25 this year. I could go into my reasoning, but that doesn't seem to be the point. I felt they were 26 or 27; others felt differently.

A couple years ago, I ranked them No. 1 in the nation even though they didn't win the state title. At that time, I got complaints that I was a NorCal homer.

As for rankings: I have said before, but just to repeat, for almost every team, the most important thing is to win a state title. Rankings are just a side dish to the main course.

That said, there are a lot of people who take rankings seriously, including coaches. I have too, as a head coach, when I felt my team was undervalued, but you prove it on the court, sooner or later.

If you don't think rankings are important, that's fine -- they're really not. They're fun, for the most part, and generate interest in the sport.

And I can't resist: So my treatment of Mitty in the rankings and a sloppy statement about expectations means I'm a bad person who shouldn't coach your daughter?

I heard complaints, directly and indirectly, that I should have had Mitty in the top 25 this year. I could go into my reasoning, but that doesn't seem to be the point. I felt they were 26 or 27; others felt differently

Putting an exact numerical "ranking" of teams across the country is a futile exercise. Transitivity only applies in math, it hardly works in sports/life. Arguing about #25, 26 or 27 is even more futile. There are only 2 camps, people who's teams were ranked higher than they deserve in whcih case they think the ranking are accurate and quote them. The other camp got shafted and disparage the rankings

Great point ... generally there's a group of four or five teams who can be considered for number one. Then there's a group of 10 or so more that can be considered for the top ten. And then there are about more 30 teams (now we're up to around 45) that are legit candidates for the top 25.

So really, there are 35 solid candidates for the bottom 15 spots in the top 25.

Elle’s father is the new boys head coach at pinewood. Hmmmm.... wonder how that happened?

So when I refer to an administration being committed to winning, this is what I mean ...

Reactions: Chsmatt33
Elle’s father is the new boys head coach at pinewood. Hmmmm.... wonder how that happened?
I'm sure free tuition is written into that contract...

Not only the administration supports the girls basketball program, but apparently all other sports are focused around that as well... track and field, now boys basketball... I wonder which team benefits more from these decisions..

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Most likely it would ... but not necessarily. Athletic directors have a lot of leeway in most public schools. Still ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT