ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom freshman makes eight first half 3s

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Folsom freshman guard Charity Gallegos made eight 3s in the first half of Folsom's 69-41 win over Woodcreek

Reactions: BBallBeliever
Dang, pretty amazing. This little guard is good. Makes the game look easy, plays with so much confidence and poise. Very impressed with this freshman. Between her and another little freshman guard Mya Blake from Bear River, these girls are must-see players. Mya is pretty much a do everything type of player, and confidence is her middle name. These girls will be names to know by everyone in the upcoming years. Both listed at 5'4", but I think that is with their shoes on and being generous.
Any other freshman stand-outs that should be recognized and will be names to look out for in the coming years in NorCal?

Reactions: Paytc
Dang, pretty amazing. This little guard is good. Makes the game look easy, plays with so much confidence and poise. Very impressed with this freshman. Between her and another little freshman guard Mya Blake from Bear River, these girls are must-see players. Mya is pretty much a do everything type of player, and confidence is her middle name. These girls will be names to know by everyone in the upcoming years. Both listed at 5'4", but I think that is with their shoes on and being generous.
Any other freshman stand-outs that should be recognized and will be names to look out for in the coming years in NorCal?

No one should be making a big deal about these two being freshman. Because obviously neither are aware of that fact. And we don't want to make them conscious of the fact because they might start playing down to the level of a freshman. One other is a (taller) freshman who plays for SJND. I'm sure there are a few others. What is really impressive about the first two is how big they each play in such a small frame. Very encouraging for the future of girls hoops !

I've heard a few things about a freshman guard that plays for Sacred Heart Cathedral and another taller girl from Lincoln High School in Stockton. Can anyone give us some info on these girls?

I look forward to seeing Mya this Friday if I can make it when Colfax plays Bear River. Colfax starts two freshmen and the point guard, Natalie (not sure last name) is a flat out stud. Controls the game on offense but her biggest asset is her defense. She generally guards the best offensive player and has a motor that never quits. My guess is she will guard senior sensation Sanders of Foothill tonight who averages 27pts a game. It will be a fun matchup because Natalie is listed generously at 5’1 and maybe 90Ibs. Sanders is a much more imposing physical presence.

Foothill senior pt guard Sanders is 5’9 and Natalie Lundberg is 5’1 according to Maxpreps

I've heard a few things about a freshman guard that plays for Sacred Heart Cathedral and another taller girl from Lincoln High School in Stockton. Can anyone give us some info on these girls?
Tuttle is probably the guard from SHC, I have seen her play a few times, she can end up being really really good if developed. The story I heard last year was that mom and dad are split, dad wanted her to go to AM. I won't say what I heard about how mom won that battle.. no proof to back the rumor :/

Tuttle is probably the guard from SHC, I have seen her play a few times, she can end up being really really good if developed. The story I heard last year was that mom and dad are split, dad wanted her to go to AM. I won't say what I heard about how mom won that battle.. no proof to back the rumor :/

OnBall8,

How a player is developed can make a huge difference. As some systems and some coaches are better fits for some children. Players don't keep improving without support. And being challenged to put in the necessary work in areas it takes to improve. Pinewood, Miramonte, Mitty, Salesian, Bishop Odowd, Eastside College Prep, and SMS are seven coaches and systems off hand that I have definitely witnessed good support and player development. I'm sure there are a few others. I don't know a whole lot about the coach or system Tuttle is in now with relation to her development.It might be a good fit, Not sure. I don't know SHC, but the coach there has had a pretty good amount of success in terms of wins and losses. It's true a young player having the support around them can help develop areas the young player and her parents may overlook. I am a firm believer in the importance of building confidence. And putting in the necessary work to improve.

Last edited:
It’s a shame that some users on here use this platform to talk about kids and families personal issues to spread gossip and rumors. Regardless of where the kid was supposed to go or what your personal opinion is of her talents is it necessary to put what you heard her parents personal relationship status is on here or why you think she went to one school or the other? Especially when hiding behind a screen name? Show a little more respect for the kid

OnBall8,

The responsibility of player development varies and every situation is different. No one high school program is responsible for player development. That is determined by how hard the player works on their own game and how much time is spent on developing vs playing AAU. In which AAU programs also play a major role in player development. Playing in an AAU program that mirrors the system that your high school program runs is also a major factor in helping players develop and flourish in a certain type of system. All of those programs are great programs and so is the program at SHC. The other part of having a great program is having kids and PARENTS that buy into a system and program. If you’ve paid any attention to the program at SHC you would have seen Imari Thomas, GeAnna Summers Louaulo and Ashonti Coleman and a number of other players develop during their stay there to become all Bay Area first team players and go one to have productive college careers. There are many other great coaches and programs in the Bay Area but a lot of them don’t go out and get the top tier kids. The WCAL in total has great coaches and programs which is why they are the top leave in the state year in and out.

How a player is developed can make a huge difference. As some systems and some coaches are better fits for some children. Players don't keep improving without support. And being challenged to put in the necessary work it takes to improve. Pinewood, Miramonte, Mitty, Salesian, Bishop Odowd, and SMS are six coaches and systems off hand that I have definitely witnessed good support and player development. I'm sure there are a few others. But a young player having the support around them can help develop areas the young player and her parents may overlook. I am a firm believer in the importance of building confidence. And putting in the necessary work to improve.

Lauren Garces and Analillia Cabuena from Lincoln-Stockton
Marley Langi from Eastside Prep
Samantha Johnston from Miramonte
Sophie Olson from Oak Ridge (was solid, believe she is Marie's younger sister)
Jzaniya Harriel from Antelope

IGNORANCE in its purest form! The question was asked about the guard from SHC.....not her family. You hide behind a screename. Cowardly!

Tuttle will develop into a great player. She has the passion and wants it. She works hard and has a great support system. Keep an eye out for her.

I look forward to seeing Mya this Friday if I can make it when Colfax plays Bear River. Colfax starts two freshmen and the point guard, Natalie (not sure last name) is a flat out stud. Controls the game on offense but her biggest asset is her defense. She generally guards the best offensive player and has a motor that never quits. My guess is she will guard senior sensation Sanders of Foothill tonight who averages 27pts a game. It will be a fun matchup because Natalie is listed generously at 5’1 and maybe 90Ibs. Sanders is a much more imposing physical presence.

Mya Blake Plays for BEAR CREEK (stockton, ca) not Bear River!

IGNORANCE in its purest form! The question was asked about the guard from SHC.....not her family. You hide behind a screename. Cowardly!

Tuttle will develop into a great player. She has the passion and wants it. She works hard and has a great support system. Keep an eye out for her.
you're right.. I shouldn't have even mentioned that I heard anything at all. That's my fault, and I'll own it and apologize, and won't hide by deleting the comment.

As far as the player goes, and the limited amount I have seen her, I think she has the platform to become the best guard in the league in a few years. Starting as a freshman, getting thrown into the fire, can be trying at times, but often it can pay off in the long run as experience is a huge part of being a solid high school player

T
Antelope has two outstanding freshmen both are high majors:
#21 - Jzaniya Harriel
#15 - Kaija Lesane
Thanks Coach. I have not had the chance to see these 2 play yet, but looking forward to it. Good luck the rest of the way. Glad to see the success from the teams in the CVC this season, although next season changes are in store. Finish league strong! Stay healthy and get the girls ready for playoffs! I think you have a good chance to make a nice run. Good luck!

It’s a shame that some users on here use this platform to talk about kids and families personal issues to spread gossip and rumors. Regardless of where the kid was supposed to go or what your personal opinion is of her talents is it necessary to put what you heard her parents personal relationship status is on here or why you think she went to one school or the other? Especially when hiding behind a screen name? Show a little more respect for the kid
Very true. Plenty of imposters love to demolish kids and parents on this board! True jealousy and envy and it continues. I will continue to support these kids no matter if they get a opportunity to play at a College or not. It’s disheartening to read the crap on here at times.

Very true. Plenty of imposters love to demolish kids and parents on this board! True jealousy and envy and it continues. I will continue to support these kids no matter if they get a opportunity to play at a College or not. It’s disheartening to read the crap on here at times.

True. Very true. And the sad thing is IMO and it appears you share in these concerns, adults should hold other adults accountable to putting the kids confidence and development first and foremost. The kids should come first. The only thing in High School team sports that should possibly come before the concern of each child individually is teaching them the importance of the acronym of the word "T.E.A.M." "Together everyone achieves more" Checking the ego is important. But unfortunately the greater importance is placed on politics and playing favorites) competition and wins and loses. Often highlighting individual accomplishments in comparison to others who are in different systems or lack the same support or exposure. Or simply aren't as blessed size, skill, or talent wise. Development, building confidence and character, while providing a positive experience for life after basketball should be a goal of every High School program IMO. I think those connected to high school sports should share in those concerns. But I think too many want to live through their kids, (others), or their coaching to stop long enough to keep things in perspective. Ego can often get the best of us all. Especially if it continues to roam unchecked. That is why through my ("Flying under The Radar" list) I wanted to highlight a few more of the talented seniors, and hard working children, that have gotten overlooked for a number of reasons. There is more than enough success to go around. Just different levels of it. I congratulate the champions, runner ups, and those who have worked hard yet didn't even make it to a playoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: allprepmedia99
Mia Mastrov form Miramonte is having a good year too.

Inderkum has two solid freshmen in Joe'l Benoit and Sydney Richards

Last edited:
Reactions: BBallBeliever
all the MM frosh are impressive...

And they made a smart choice hooking up with a coach and system that could help nurture and develop the young talent. Because it really matters where and under which coach you decide to dedicate yourself to. Not all situations are good fits. But you must maintain a good attitude regardless during the process. I personally like the way Kelly and several other Cal Star coaches have fostered the development of quite a few players. Of course there are quite a few other coaches and AAU clubs who have done wonders as well. But wherever you end up the bottom line belongs to the player(s). You must do a bit of research and study to look into becoming similar to the player(s) you look up to. And you must be willing to put the necessary work in. That will keep the player in control of how far they can go. Not a coach, school, or system if it turns out to be a bad fit. I have seen too many young girls mis-managed and their passion for the game crushed under the wrong circumstances. Some have even given up on playing the game they once loved. That is why I wrote "WIn Anyway" and am now promoting "Dial Me Up" and "Flying Under the Radar" To encourage young players to not give up on themselves. Best of luck to all who working hard to better themselves and their game.

Last edited:
MM has substituted liberally for some time, but I think they've cranked it up a notch this year, going to the bench early, often and deep. not quite Grinnell College (new group of 5 every 2 minutes, expectation of a shot within 10 sec of possession) but getting there. tempo means more possessions, more virtual playing time to go around. playing rotation likely will be pruned in postseason v tougher opponents, but it's a great way to get game experience for non-starters, who work equally hard in practice.

MM has substituted liberally for some time, but I think they've cranked it up a notch this year, going to the bench early, often and deep. not quite Grinnell College (new group of 5 every 2 minutes, expectation of a shot within 10 sec of possession) but getting there. tempo means more possessions, more virtual playing time to go around. playing rotation likely will be pruned in postseason v tougher opponents, but it's a great way to get game experience for non-starters, who work equally hard in practice.

Kelly is always coaching with the end in mind, not just stuck on the present. He does that to develop and build confidence across the board. Not to mention to see what he's working with in game time situations. To see what needs to be developed in individuals and the team as well. What I also like about Kelly is he will occasionally put his ego aside and go against predictability, unlike some system only and always coaches. He coaches each game and each circumstance making it much harder to predict or game plan for. And he will make an adjustment on the fly. I guess that is why he tends to get more from less. While some coaches get less from more.

Kelly is always coaching with the end in mind, not just stuck on the present. He does that to develop and build confidence across the board. Not to mention to see what he's working with in game time situations. To see what needs to be developed in individuals and the team as well. What I also like about Kelly is he will occasionally put his ego aside and go against predictability, unlike some system only and always coaches. He coaches each game and each circumstance making it much harder to predict or game plan for. And he will make an adjustment on the fly. I guess that is why he tends to get more from less. While some coaches get less from more.
More from less? He had Sabrina for 4 years!

More from less? He had Sabrina for 4 years!

No denying that. But he not only helped Sabrina, but many others reach higher than they would have elsewhere. And he has done wonders for Miramonte and continues to do them after Sabrina. While many other programs are pulling in far more talent than his public school does. I also thought he took the Sabrina era team further than most would have. The team with Sabrina IMO wasn't even close (depth and talentwise) to the level of Chaminade, SMS, Mitty, Salesian, Odowd, Mater Dei, and many other top teams across the country. But he had that public school nationally ranked and prepared to compete with the best. IMO a job well done.

Last edited:
Miramonte plays Campolindo tonight. Any thoughts on this game? I'm sure before the season started, this rivalry game was the big one on the schedule for both teams. But with the injuries Campo has experienced, I am thinking MM shouldn't have too much trouble this year. Last year, they split and Campo made a huge run to the D3 State Title game. It is too bad they have experienced their issues this year. Crazy to see them with only 6 or 7 kids on their bench, and Miramonte with over 15 players. I guess these programs going into different directions.

Miramonte plays Campolindo tonight. Any thoughts on this game? I'm sure before the season started, this rivalry game was the big one on the schedule for both teams. But with the injuries Campo has experienced, I am thinking MM shouldn't have too much trouble this year. Last year, they split and Campo made a huge run to the D3 State Title game. It is too bad they have experienced their issues this year. Crazy to see them with only 6 or 7 kids on their bench, and Miramonte with over 15 players. I guess these programs going into different directions.

Based on all that did or didn't happen even with a healthy Ashley Thoms I would have had Miramonte as a slight favorite. But with Ashley going down and several players not returning and or transferring in, I would expect this to be a Miramonte blowout. I can't see the Campolindo starters being able to both stay fresh enough and out of foul trouble for 4 quarters when you know Miramonte is gonna run and gun Jerry Tarkanian style. And I would think the defense would be aware on who is most likely to score for Campo and look to address that concern. Not like this is a coach who just goes about game planning the same way or just running the system as always regardless to who they are playing like some system only coaches do. I personally like both sides, so I hope the game is played well on both sides minus the so call hated rivalry. I do agree that the programs are most likely going in opposite directions at this point.

Last edited:
Based on all that did or didn't happen even with a healthy Ashley Thoms I would have had Miramonte as a slight favorite. But with Ashley going down and several players not returning and or transferring in, I would expect this to be a Miramonte blowout. I can't see the Campolindo starters being able to both stay fresh enough and out of foul trouble for 4 quarters when you know Miramonte is gonna run and gun Jerry Tarkanian style. And I would think the defense would be aware on who is most likely to score for Campo and look to address that concern. Not like this is a coach who just goes about game planning the same way or just running the system as always regardless to who they are playing like some system only coaches do. I personally like both sides so, I hope the game is played well on both sides minus the so call hated rivalry. I do agree that the programs are most likely going in opposite directions at this point.
Because these schools are so close, I’m sure they are competing for same girls in area. Because of Cal Stars program, gives them such an edge, right?

Other than Van Dyke Campo has little if anything at this point.
Campo just lost by 31 to Bear Creek at home
last week.

MM just way too deep and I just dont see the guard play for Campo to compete against the heat that MM will bring.

This will be as big as a victory as Sopak wants to make it. Ill say 30 pts...as I think he will show some mercy to his Cal Stars player Van Dyke.

a harsh judgment to level against high school athletes. maybe they're just not up to your standards.

I didn't agree with that part of his 3 part comment. I agree the kids don't deserve such hard critique. I know several of the players and their better than they get credit for. Even though they may not be quite on the level of the two Campo players that are expecting to play D1 next year. They have been working hard and will continue to give a good effort win or loss.

Wtf?

seriously? hard critique?

if you consider that "hard" Id hate to see how u respond to your boss when job evaluation time comes around...

yikes

they were a D3 state runnerup last yr with practically EVERYBODY returning.

They were picked to be a top 8/open team by most... by EVERY measure they have underacheived.... and now they have lost their 2nd and 3rd best players for the season.

If u take Van Dyke off that team they would be hard pressed to win a league game.
Im not being a jerk, just being realistic.

Wtf?

seriously? hard critique?

if you consider that "hard" Id hate to see how u respond to your boss when job evaluation time comes around...

yikes

they were a D3 state runnerup last yr with practically EVERYBODY returning.

They were picked to be a top 8/open team by most... by EVERY measure they have underacheived.... and now they have lost their 2nd and 3rd best players for the season.

If u take Van Dyke off that team they would be hard pressed to win a league game.
Im not being a jerk, just being realistic.
Guru maybe it's time you write a book"the truth hurts"

they would be hard pressed to win a league game.

which still doesn't make 7 high school players "little if anything". I forget, what was your career scoring average in the NBA? Kevin Durant is man enough to apologize, are you? did you ever locate the addresses of those girls' basketball slush fund properties? did you ever tell your kids that they were "little if anything?"

I assume (though I hope not) that kids read this stuff. but even if they don't, I feel a need to speak up on their behalf. I've seen winless teams whose kids offered a lot to admire. your analysis of the likely outcome might be accurate, but the gratuitous insult is a technical foul. do you even see it? remember, you're talking about kids. give me smack talk if you want, lay off the kids.

Last edited:
clearly your definition of smack talking is WAY different than mine.

Kid on the team I take it?
As Ive clearly touched a nerve....when all i was doing was critiquing the game.....this conversation is the epitomy of "making a mountain out of a mole hill"

Reactions: UncleYacht
Kid on the team I take it?

no. have you seen Campo play this year? not concerned with your "critiquing" the game, only with an insult for kids who you don't know, have probably never seen. waiting for your NBA stats and those addresses.

better yet--come to the game tonight and "critique" it after actually seeing it. I'll be the guy who's wearing glasses and looking for his glasses. and his car keys.

Last edited:
Guru did not call any of their other players terrible, he just said they lost their 2nd and 3rd best players. Most teams would struggle to win a league game if they lost 2 of their top 3.

Reactions: UncleYacht
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT