ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom goes down!!!

Tremendous W for MT. Very happy for Coach Ewing, his players, and @MTsince2004
But they’re far from done yet. Gotta go get one next week against OR.

Tonight’s game was as close a textbook example of controlling the clock as you’re ever likely to see in a HS game. According to the AccessSacramento announcing team, the Mustangs possessed the ball for 36 of the 48 minute game. Absolutely incredible!

Folsom’s defense could not stop them. MT completely controlled the line and moved the ball at will, churning out 1st down after 1st down.

I tuned in to the game a bit late, as it was already 14-0. And once Folsom tied it up at 14, I gotta give MT a ton of credit because they never wavered from their game plan. And they rebounded to make it work.

Their 1st possession of Q3 lasted nearly an entire quarter, which really set the tone of the 2nd half. The biggest play of the game was the 3rd and 15 TD pass to Antonio Williams — who made as good a catch before going out of bounds as you’re gonna see. I swear he caught the back half of the football. As the ball was in the air I didn’t think he had much of a chance of staying in bounds ... but he did.

The INT by Prophet Brown was the icing on the cake. If Folsom scores there, MT would have had a nervous time defending the ensuing onside kick!

Gotta also say that my wife and I were laughing several times during the game because it seemed like the announcing crew called out about a half dozen transfers on Folsom’s all- star roster (which is always a hot topic on this website). One play it was “the former player from Cosumnes Oaks” then the next play it was “the former player from Oak Ridge who moved down the hill” then it was “the former player from Del Oro”. And that’s not counting the players they already had from Sheldon, Nevada, and Washington!

I’m sure all that made the win much sweeter for the MT coaches and players.

Almost forgot, I was really glad justice prevailed on MT’s 11+ minute drive during the 3rd and early 4th quarter. Caleb Ramseur’s TD run was called back on a bogus holding penalty, which likely would have changed the outcome. But, instead, MT ended up with a 1st down after a PI penalty followed by an unsportsmanlike personal foul on 3rd and 25.

I don’t know whether either penalty was warranted or legit, but I’m glad it balanced out the bogus hold call that negated the original TD. Luckily for MT they did end up scoring a few plays later.

@ThunderRam, thank you for the well wishes. It was a fun night, no doubt. I can honestly say that it took everything going right for MT to win this game. Folsom is so explosive that the only way to really beat them is to control the clock and make every drive count. A full-size version of keep away. There are a half dozen plays that could have gone the other way and spoiled the upset. It was a much closer and tense game than the final score shows.

Much credit to the MT coaching staff and the character of the players for their mental and physical fortitude. It takes a lot of discipline and luck to hold the ball for nearly 21 minutes of the 2nd half.

A good win to sleep on, but Oak Ridge is no slouch and it's back to work tomorrow morning. I'm guessing coaches are watching film tonight.

@ThunderRam, thank you for the well wishes. It was a fun night, no doubt. I can honestly say that it took everything going right for MT to win this game. Folsom is so explosive that the only way to really beat them is to control the clock and make every drive count. A full-size version of keep away. There are a half dozen plays that could have gone the other way and spoiled the upset. It was a much closer and tense game than the final score shows.

Much credit to the MT coaching staff and the character of the players for their mental and physical fortitude. It takes a lot of discipline and luck to hold the ball for nearly 21 minutes of the 2nd half.

A good win to sleep on, but Oak Ridge is no slouch and it's back to work tomorrow morning. I'm guessing coaches are watching film tonight.

I remember doubting your Mustangs earlier this season in the rankings and you questioned me on it. I thought their schedule wasn’t incredibly strong up to that point nor did I believe they were as good as last season. Then of course they were upset by CO a few weeks later.

But they rebounded and have won out since. I certainly wouldn’t have predicted a W tonight, but I’m not shocked. They are a good program and TJ is a really good coach. Those kids deserve every bit of the attention they’re gonna get this week. But they gotta do it again against OR next Fri. Lamson is a handful!!!

Reactions: jamzz94549
There have been many moments of doubt, even for the MT faithful. But that was part of building the resiliency of this group. They immediately saw the COHS loss as a lesson on always respecting their opponents. They had to deal with the longest road trip in school history and maintain their composure at Paraclete. They had to focus on personal excellence and commitment to their own high standards while playing in the Metro. They had to deal with a seedings slight and enter the playoffs seeing the #5 spot as a challenge, not a roadblock. Upsetting Folsom is the rewards of buying into the process, but it is not the end goal. Now they must overcome the potential let down after a statement win.

Oak Ridge is a formidable opponent who will be excited to play MT. There is no doubt that they deserve to be in the Championship. They convincingly beat an impressive Inderkum team. If they can handle Indy's speed, then MT will really have to rely on their o-line to open lanes once again.

Congratulations to the Kids of MT for Knocking off a 2 Time Defending D1AA Champ and pulling the upset of the season!!!...

Certainly one of the Great Victories in the history of the SJS!!!.....

Good luck to them and I am Definitely on the Bandwagon on the Ride that hopefully ends in a SBG!!!!....:)

Congrats to MT! Great win. Folsom seemed ready to get picked off the mtn.

Oak Ridge looked as good as I’ve seen them in the past decade last night. Ansolute domination after a tied first. If Lamson and team play like that again the Trojans are section champs. Like I’ve said all year.. they have athletes and speed in positions that in the past they didn’t have.

Should be a great one!

Tremendous W for MT. Very happy for Coach Ewing, his players, and @MTsince2004
But they’re far from done yet. Gotta go get one next week against OR.

Tonight’s game was as close a textbook example of controlling the clock as you’re ever likely to see in a HS game. According to the AccessSacramento announcing team, the Mustangs possessed the ball for 36 of the 48 minute game. Absolutely incredible!

Folsom’s defense could not stop them. MT completely controlled the line and moved the ball at will, churning out 1st down after 1st down.

I tuned in to the game a bit late, as it was already 14-0. And once Folsom tied it up at 14, I gotta give MT a ton of credit because they never wavered from their game plan. And they rebounded to make it work.

Their 1st possession of Q3 lasted nearly an entire quarter, which really set the tone of the 2nd half. The biggest play of the game was the 3rd and 15 TD pass to Antonio Williams — who made as good a catch before going out of bounds as you’re gonna see. I swear he caught the back half of the football. As the ball was in the air I didn’t think he had much of a chance of staying in bounds ... but he did.

The INT by Prophet Brown was the icing on the cake. If Folsom scores there, MT would have had a nervous time defending the ensuing onside kick!

Gotta also say that my wife and I were laughing several times during the game because it seemed like the announcing crew called out about a half dozen transfers on Folsom’s all- star roster (which is always a hot topic on this website). One play it was “the former player from Cosumnes Oaks” then the next play it was “the former player from Oak Ridge who moved down the hill” then it was “the former player from Del Oro”. And that’s not counting the players they already had from Sheldon, Nevada, and Washington!

I’m sure all that made the win much sweeter for the MT coaches and players.
Actually, if you watched the game on Access Sacramento after the game recap showed 39 minutes of possession for MT and 9 minutes for Folsom.

Not shocked. Everyone that has been following NorCal football should know this is not as big of an upset as it may seem. Yes, Folsom having a coaching change matters and made this upset possible. This Folsom team wasn't built like the Folsom team(s) of past years and it showed in their play. If we just go back to week 3 of this season posters were expressing their opinions on how this team wasn't as disciplined and coached up as the prior teams. Hats off to MT for scheming a solid game plan that put down a SJS giant. But lets be clear here, the Bulldogs were suspect all season long. MT came into this game with athletic talent compared to the 2016 Sacramento Dragons talent which upset the Bulldogs. Once again, not as big of an upset as it may seem and that's why I picked Folsom at 5 in pick'ems this week. Had Folsom had the same championship coaching staff I'd most likely would have placed them in the 10 spot in pick'em. Coaching matters..... The Junkie

Agree. They were ready to be picked off. They didn’t have the best QB within 10 miles of that school playing. Should have went after Lamson. When is the last time they didn’t have the best QB in NorCal?
There defense was average all year. They lose a lot too. Oak Ridge could easily be the team to beat next year in SJS.

OR loss to Rocklin will haunt them this year. If they were 11-1 and beat MT next week gotta think they would be the invitee to play central Fresno.

Lots of people not fans of current HC at Folsom. Richardson and staff timed their exit perfectly.

Hats off to MT. Look forward to a great one.

Reactions: championcif75
Agree LL, that Rocklin loss hurts OR big time. Wish they could have pulled that one out. It would seal their game against Central (Fresno) if they get past MT.
Junkie,plz explain....you guys know much more than me,if the Trojans defeat MT and the same can be said for MT as well..either team depending who wins would play a NorCal game correct and upon winning that NorCal game wouldn’t they automatically play Central?I don’t understand the real importance of the Rocklin loss by OR other than they simply lost to the Thunder!If the Trojans or MT win out they play Central...that’s my little knowledge of the system....plz help me understand this Rocklin loss and its importance...i’m confused here buddy!Larry can chime in as well,plz!

Last edited:
Well done MT! This will now make the NorCal regional playoff seeding more interesting.

Agree LL, that Rocklin loss hurts OR big time. Wish they could have pulled that one out. It would seal their game against Central (Fresno) if they get past MT.
Actually, the Rocklin game was the best thing that happened to us! Coming off the 33-36 loss to folsom the week before, the team was heading into Rocklin thinking we just need to show up. We were not in a good way at that point. The SFL is a grind, however it makes you better by the time playoffs come around. As a team we have been kicking ass Monday through Thursday in practice for the past several weeks...last night was a great showing of that work. Inderkum is a good football team and we met with them last night playing at the top of our game. Size, speed, and athleticism were equally matched last night, and it was evident that SOS played a factor in the outcome. Also, we really appreciated the sportsmanship last night as well.

MT is a great program with a most deserving victory last night. Folsom has been playing to lose for the past couple weeks, but MT came in there and did their thing, proving they were better regardless. There is no secret that we wanted Folsom again, to be that team to take them down, but we are excited to play MT. It will be last year’s semi-final rematch. This Saturday will be a monster HS football game!

Reactions: RidgeRider
Junkie,plz explain....you guys know much more than me,if the Trojans defeat MT and the same can be said for MT as well..either team depending who wins would play a NorCal game correct and upon winning that NorCal game wouldn’t they automatically play Central?I don’t understand the real importance of the Rocklin loss by OR other than they simply lost to the Thunder!If the Trojans or MT win out they play Central...that’s my little knowledge of the system....plz help me understand this Rocklin loss and its importance...i’m confused here buddy!Larry can chime in as well,plz!

The loss to Rocklin most likely enables the CCS winner with only 1 loss to play Central.

Reactions: THEOC89
Actually, the Rocklin game was the best thing that happened to us! Coming off the 33-36 loss to folsom the week before, the team was heading into Rocklin thinking we just need to show up. We were not in a good way at that point. The SFL is a grind, however it makes you better by the time playoffs come around. As a team we have been kicking ass Monday through Thursday in practice for the past several weeks...last night was a great showing of that work. Inderkum is a good football team and we met with them last night playing at the top of our game. Size, speed, and athleticism were equally matched last night, and it was evident that SOS played a factor in the outcome. Also, we really appreciated the sportsmanship last night as well.

MT is a great program with a most deserving victory last night. Folsom has been playing to lose for the past couple weeks, but MT came in there and did their thing, proving they were better regardless. There is no secret that we wanted Folsom again, to be that team to take them down, but we are excited to play MT. It will be last year’s semi-final rematch. This Saturday will be a monster HS football game!

Congrats, coach.

Reactions: MCIC

People forget how much Folsom use to struggle with the Elk Grove schools lol they went to the sfl and started recruiting those same players from south sac/Elk Grove remember I said the delta league had better athletes than sfl. Sfl has better programs though. This lost will hurt Folsom’s recruiting. Anybody who watched Folsom in person you can tell who’s the recruits and who’s the locals the drop off was that big. Now when I said grant has the players it’s coaching that’s why they’re losing they walked in the sfl and went 4-6 and was equally as talented as Folsom. Now Folsom fans will see how it feels to have the talent and coaching steps in the way

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
An incredible victory for Monterey Trail, which beats Folsom 35-23, ending Folsom's 9-year streak of reaching a title game.
Congratulations to MT, GREAT win for that programs coaches, players, and fans.Congrats to Folsom also, although I know it stings right now.You're still a great program that has accomplished a lot and brought honor to your school and community. I'm sure you'll bounce back

The loss to Rocklin most likely enables the CCS winner with only 1 loss to play Central.
Ok 22,I did some research and I get what your saying,it appears to me(plz correct me if i’m wrong)but it appears best case scenario for OR should they win out is for 2 loss Wilcox to defeat a 10-1 Serra this afternoon and somehow beat a 11-1 VC next week,correct?That would have Wilcox still with 2 losses as would OR And a decision would have to be made between these two 2 loss teams...a VC win with one loss pretty much does OR in even if they win out,am I close here?

Yeah that is what I was thinking as well. CCS team.

Go Hillman btw!! Rooting for you guys.
Thanks Legend...the lil strawchewers have been in a couple tough nail biters last couple weeks but their pre season schedule as well as their league schedule have really prepared them,they definitely have been battle tested all yr.The chewers will have ANOTHER big test next week vs a very good Manteca team....we shall see my friend,we shall definitely see!Thanks again and go Trojans as they will be in a big battle as well vs a very good MT team....best of luck!

Reactions: larry legend33

What a game coach. I’ve been watching OR since the sam Clemons days and Lamson to me will be one of the greats. He was so good last night. I imagine only time before big schools start to offer.
Good luck.

I need to give a shout out to another fantastic team and program with exceptional coaching,
even though they lost last night to what appears now to be a very awake Oak Ridge Trojan team,I wasn’t there but i’ve heard not only here but in a few phone calls that OR was damn near flawless last night especially with the QB play of Lamsom...bravo to them!
INDERKUM TIGERS,COACH TERRY STARK....CONGRATULATIONS on yet ANOTHER tremendous season,
your 2019 Tigers,coaching and over all program.....is TOP SHELF as usual....CONGRATULATIONS....huge BRAVO!

Reactions: johnjohn73
What a game coach. I’ve been watching OR since the sam Clemons days and Lamson to me will be one of the greats. He was so good last night. I imagine only time before big schools start to offer.
Good luck.

Was obvious last year he was going to be a good one. Wonder how much better they would have been last year if they had played him more at QB.

Absolutely hilarious!!! LOL!

Congrats MT[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: RidgeRider
Lets give MT credit..they beat San Ramon Valley 48-8 earlier this year and that's a #4 seed in NCS. Only DLS played SRV that well. Their line is huge and their athletes are next level talents. Need some work at the QB position though for the games they need to pass

Reactions: forgotemail
Good luck.
Larry,
It was quite a game! He’s getting better each week. I’m a bit perplexed he doesn’t have any offers to date, however he didn’t play much at the QB position last season, so no real film on him until this season. He has a lot of interest from programs, I imagine this coming off season will be busy for him with regards to recruitment. In fact we have a lot of players returning next season....our defensive front seven are all juniors!

Ok 22,I did some research and I get what your saying,it appears to me(plz correct me if i’m wrong)but it appears best case scenario for OR should they win out is for 2 loss Wilcox to defeat a 10-1 Serra this afternoon and somehow beat a 11-1 VC next week,correct?That would have Wilcox still with 2 losses as would OR And a decision would have to be made between these two 2 loss teams...a VC win with one loss pretty much does OR in even if they win out,am I close here?

No question, a Wilcox CCS win puts the winner of MT and OR in D-IAA against Central.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT