ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom goes down!!!

Statistical and historical evidence doesn't at all support your belief, as demonstrated below:

Looks fairly even, doesn't it?

Except Folsom hasn't played Davis or CO in the past 10 years, which likely would have skewed the numbers even more in the SFL's favor had they played.

Also, Folsom moved to the SFL in 2014. Prior to that season, they weren't drawing blue chips the likes of Jonah Williams, Ngata brothers, Bennett, Badger, etc. that took the program to another level. So the SFL has been competing with Folsom, in terms of league games, at it's absolute highest point.

Circling back to the point, your belief isn't supported by the actual results of head-to-head match ups during Folsom's 10 season reign.

Once again, it's not about the athletes. It's more about the physical play and fundamentals. Match or beat Folsom on the lines and play assignment football and tackle. The teams that are able do that at a high level are the ones that compete well or beat Folsom.

Bellarmine 2015 didn't match Folsom's athletes. Neither did DLS in 2018. Or MT in 2019. But all three matched or outmatched Folsom on the lines and were able to play assignment football and tackle (Bellarmine & DLS more so than MT). Hence they all won close games.

Oak Ridge also did most of the above this season, but just came up short.
I wasn’t talking about after they started recruiting I’m talking about before they started recruiting it’s easy to start at 2010( the year they started to be good) and go from there but they’ve been playing football before 2010

Why do you think that?

styles and I’m on the record saying I believe their are more athletes in that league than sfl. A lot of Folsom’s skill position guys are from that area. And I believe prior to 2010 Folsom had a harder time beating those teams. It’s the same reason they can blow through the sfl and lose to a team like sac high. My biggest take away from Folsom this year is their offensive line play isn’t elite anymore maybe that’s what went under the radar over the years was how dominate their lines were

styles and I’m on the record saying I believe their are more athletes in that league than sfl. A lot of Folsom’s skill position guys are from that area. And I believe prior to 2010 Folsom had a harder time beating those teams. It’s the same reason they can blow through the sfl and lose to a team like sac high. My biggest take away from Folsom this year is their offensive line play isn’t elite anymore maybe that’s what went under the radar over the years was how dominate their lines were
Excellent point about Folsom's O lines

Prior to 2010? That is sure moving the goal posts.

Prior to 2010, they were a more normal program on the rise. Totally different conversation and one that is pointless considering we are almost 10 years removed.

Regarding this year, you are right about the line play. I would also point to QB play. Their best teams has elite players at that spot. Jake is a good HS quarterback who will have some options to play next year, but he isn't the same mold as Graves, Browning, Bennett.

Reactions: THEOC89
Have no clue what you are yammering about here. You're certainly not adding anything topical to my comment in red.
Folsom would struggle more in the delta than they do in sfl. I said it years ago and I believe it it’s just different athletes in that area. Styles make fights
Seems to me it's you that don't get the point here.This is "forgotemail's" point that you strongly disagreed with in which I agree with. And here's why: Folsom has been in the almighty SFL since 2014 and not one SFL team has beaten them, right? I repeat, not one SFL team has beaten them, right? I get it, you're stuck "totally" on the time and possession thing as the reason why. Simply put, I'm not. I see this totally different then you and that's okay. I know why PG beat Folsom those years and it had more to do with just controlling the clock via trenches.

An btw, didn't Folsom boat race every team in their first year after joining the almighty SFL? So that flatly tells me the SFL was no better prepared for Folsom then the DRL which debunks your whole SFL superior theory. And now we're supposed to believe Max Miller made Folsom tougher and not the athletes he inherited. You know that cuts both ways my friend. As great a coach Max Miller has been over the years I find it very hard to believe he's the reason Folsom was dominate from 2014 to 2018. He wasn't even there!

The fact of the matter is Folsom was just a better program athletically and schematically then any SJS team at that time. From what I understand Max only lasted a few years at Folsom if that, right? Whatever magic dust he has to make a team more physical post his tenure needs to be bottled up and put on a shelf. He'd make millions on that discovery. Be the best discovery since Columbus discovered America.

By your theory or opinion no one should believe a Delta team is better suited athletically to defeat Folsom then the feared SFL teams. If that was the case then why didn't a SFL team defeat Folsom but an original DRL team did? Could it be the Delta has better athletes across the board and just as good of coaching then the teams in the SFL? Hmmmm.

So yes, Folsom will struggle more in the Delta because they have "different athletes" which is a fact. Sac High has the same athletes as the teams in the Delta and we all witnessed the results of their head to head with Folsom. They played them better than any SFL team has since Folsom has joined the league. South Sac athletes status in the SJS is always on premier display. The struggle is real if you believe it or not when it comes to Folsom playing teams with different athletes. I'm not making this stuff up. It's been reported by professional sources. As you mentioned, I'm out here in the dirty south and don't know the going on's in Norcal. That's cute.

The point is this. "Differnent Athletes" I have nothing but respect for those that believe OR has better or equal athletic talent then MT and that includes you TR. However, that doesn't mean you're right. That said, I understand Lamson is a defense nightmare but outside of him do OR have the type of athletes MT have? I would find that hard to believe but hey, El Dorado Hills may just be the new Folsom. Who knows. And btw, I'm just a gotdamn poster. So don't take my word for it, just look at the winning results. Delta 6 SFL 1;) My point has been made.

Side Note: I totally respect posters RidgeRider and SmashmouthRick and believe they are two very knowledgeable and respected posters as are you TR. However, their opinions on this is their opinion and has no barring one way or another on the point I've made here. I stand by my points 100%. The Junkie:cool:

Last edited:
I wasn’t talking about after they started recruiting I’m talking about before they started recruiting it’s easy to start at 2010( the year they started to be good) and go from there but they’ve been playing football before 2010
And I'll add this. Folsom was playing with a Grant WR in 2008. So their recruiting or taking transfers habit began back then. Anyhow this isn't about their recruiting habits to me. This is more about the Delta being a more competitive league against Folsom then the SFL. Delta teams 6 SFL 1 in the past decade. Men lie and women lie but numbers don't lie. The Junkie

Last edited:
Now I'll dissect your bullet points since you seem to want to get granular about this and go there.

Please don't tell me something is "somewhat true" when it's subjective. They went 6-4 in 2007 and didn't even make the postseason, so I think you are also "silly" ;) and inaccurate for starting there.

I don't care when they installed their offense. By upward ascent I was clearly meaning when they started to become an elite level program. They were not that in 2007 or 2008.

2009 was the precursor to their 2010 State Championship team where they barely lost to Del Oro after holding a 35-7 lead. IMO, that team was the start of their ascent to where they are now. Still subjective? Sure. But far more logical and reasonable than the 2007 and 2008 teams.

From 2009 (the year I said it began) through 2011 (which you claim they didn't begin domination til after) they were 13-2 in the DRL. With one of the losses coming in OT by a mere point. Average score those three seasons was 45-22. Seems pretty dominant to me. I never said 'perfect'.

Yes, Pleasant Grove got one over on them with Armstead, Jenkins, Demps bros and Lewis (after losing the season before) with one of PG's best teams ever, but that doesn't mean Folsom wasn't dominate in their league. The 3-year record and average score differential show as much.

And, again, this was well before all the blue chips started transferring in. The teams Folsom has been fielding the past 5 years wouldn't have lost either of those 2 games. And you know it. They've been at a totally different level since being placed in the SFL. Arguably their best team ever was the first year in the league. And their 'athlete' level has grown since.

Have no clue what you are yammering about here. You're certainly not adding anything topical to my comment in red.

When Folsom and Oak Ridge were placed into the SFL in 2014, Oak Ridge was clearly the 2nd best team in that league. They had finished 2nd in the DRL in 2012 and 2013, right behind Folsom.

And if OR had remained in the new look Delta when Folsom left and were still there today, they'd have been one of the top teams in that league. Arguably would have won it in 3 of the past 6 seasons. Regardless, my comment above is factually true in the immediate season's leading up to and into the season they both entered the league.

Again, have no clue what the hell you're doing here. We're talking about current times in terms of where Folsom would be challenged most. And it surely ain't in today's Delta or even the past several years of it.

And you're further making my point when talking about Oak Ridge being the 2nd dominant team in the SFL for most of the past 6 seasons. In the past 6 seasons, they've played 4 games against Folsom decided by 14 points or less. Far more than any other team in the SJS. Hence my comment about why he's silly for thinking Folsom would be challenged more in a league w/o Oak Ridge.

FWIW, in the same 6 season time frame and prior to MT's upset last week, the current Delta League was 0-9 (PG 0-3, Franklin 0-2, MT 0-2, and EG 0-2) with only 1 game decided by 14 points or less. Average score was 51-13. Can't 'square it up' any more than that.

So please stop with this craziness and moving of the goal posts.

Your penchant for twisting things and simply not knowing what the hell you're talking about is reaching epic proportions here.

First of all Folsom played 5 DRL teams in 2009, not just 2, because they were in the freaking league.

Next, the 2 games you decided to cherry pick from the DRL were the 2 other co-champs from the DRL that season. Then, you compared those regular season games to playoff games against SFL teams that didn't win league. As if that somehow proves or says anything about physicality.

But I digress because the more egregious point is this.

In terms of not knowing what the hell you're taking about, it's very clear to me that you didn't see the Folsom-Del Oro game in 2009. Because if you knew anything about that game or that team that season, you wouldn't dare make the ridiculous comment you made about 'powder puff' football.

Since you won't take my word for it, ask any Del Oro fan on this site just how physical that Del Oro team was (@smashmouthrick or @RidgeRider can help you out). Their rush attack with Bryce Pratt was as fierce and physical as it gets. Folsom couldn't handle it. Which is why Del Oro eventually wore them down and won the game. It was also a precursor why Folsom hired Max Miller as their new defensive coordinator. Because they knew they needed to get tougher and more physical on that side of the ball.

Del Oro got down 35-7 due to a combination of one of Folsom's best offenses ever and their own self-inflicted mistakes -- such as Bryce Pratt fumbling the ball in the end zone because he chose truck the defender rather than just score the ball.

But in the 2nd half Del Oro gave Folsom a huge lesson in physicality and wearing a team down. Folsom only scored once while Pratt and the DO offense ran complete rough shot to the tune of 36 points.

Pratt rushed for 345 yards and 4 TD's while Del Oro, as a team, rushed for 446 yards and 6 scores. Could have been 7 had Pratt not tried to make an emphatic point.

That same Del Oro team also beat what some will tell you was St. Mary's best team ever or at least among them (ask @bulldogmgc what he thinks). An 11-0 team (to that point) that blew out WCAL Champ Bellarmine who reached the State Bowl and lost by 5. Their closest game was 22 points prior to the Del Oro loss. And they were a fast and extremely physical team too.

Never again speak to me about physicality. Because you have no idea about it if you dismiss that team.

Dead nuts on TR!

Al time record between Del Oro and Oakridgel Del Oro's favor 9-7.

Folsoms top five athletes did not come from south sac.
BTW why does the area they come from make them better? Must be the water!!!

Last edited:
Al time record between Del Oro and Oakridgel Oro's favor 9-7.

Folsoms top five athletes did not come from south sac.
BTW why does the area they come from make them better? Must be the water!!!

pretty sure Badger is a top 5 Folsom player the other 2 from Reno those 2009-2011 might’ve been the last real Folsom teams. And I have a nephew that went to sac high he was recruited to go play at Folsom as a sophomore. I’ve said it before Folsom’s basketball team been transferring talent in the football team just caught up. You guys could easily go on social media and find out where the kids a really from

Reactions: coachlittle
Prior to 2010? That is sure moving the goal posts.

Prior to 2010, they were a more normal program on the rise. Totally different conversation and one that is pointless considering we are almost 10 years removed.

Regarding this year, you are right about the line play. I would also point to QB play. Their best teams has elite players at that spot. Jake is a good HS quarterback who will have some options to play next year, but he isn't the same mold as Graves, Browning, Bennett.

my point was before the move to sfl. They struggled against the inner city schools moved to sfl got inner city talent and been boat racing teams ever since. The problem with inner City kids once adversity hits things can go south if they don’t believe in the coaching I think that’s what happened with Folsom this year

Reno
Ngata
Ngata
Bennet
Chandon Pierre

Elk Grove
Badger

The kid from Sac High.

Who else is from the inner city??? South Sac in particular???

Last edited:
Reno
Ngata
Ngata
Bennet
Chandon Pierre

Elk Grove
Badger

The kid from Sac High.

Who else is from the inner city??? South Sac in particular???
Those are the big name kids look at the role players my nephew played 2 years ago he was recruited along with his best friend from sac high. You can go online check social media you’ll find out who’s from sac and who’s from Folsom real quick

Well put up a list....those are the ONLY names that ever get mentioned.....by the way you describe it half the team is from South Sac, so for the last tens years lets hear who??

Like to know the story on 6'5/240 Deshawn Lynch. Which looks like he transferred into Folsom his sophomore year. And if he's a family member to Lorenzo and Marshawn Lynch. I bet he was born in Folsom California. :D

Lynch is more like 270. That is a big kid. He could be special at next level. Very quick for his size. But yeah I’m thinking he wasn’t raised off blue ravine rd!

Lynch is more like 270. That is a big kid. He could be special at next level. Very quick for his size. But yeah I’m thinking he wasn’t raised off blue ravine rd!
FB post shows he lives in Citrus Heights? Not that any of it matters bc the transfer and enrollment cleared cif-sjs..

Well put up a list....those are the ONLY names that ever get mentioned.....by the way you describe it half the team is from South Sac, so for the last tens years lets hear who??

Check social media then you’ll find out. But it doesn’t matter Now. Folsom better keep winning the last thing they want to do is play with kids in their radius

Congrats to a great win for Coach Heff and his staff. And if Irv and James is still a part of Heff staff congrats to them as well. Great job folks. This was also a great win for the Delta League. Love the way ya'll did this in GRAND FASHION! The Football Junkie

I don't see what the fuss is about transfers and Open Enrollment. Every good/great CIF team benefits from transfers and/or open enrollment. Especially in Metropolitan areas. The SJS should just be thankful that schools like Jesuit and St. Mary's don't follow the Mater Dei, SJB formula...

Cordova benefited from the AFB (kids came from all over the country)

Grant at one point benefited from Open Enrollment and the AFB.

Folsom benefited from Open Enrollment.

It appears that Monterey Trails is now benefitting from Open Enrollment/S.Sacramento. (As someone alluded, South Sac has always been a hotbed for football talent).

In the years to come, schools like MT and Inderkum should cause havoc on the SJS (solid coaching, great facilities). From what I'm hearing, Inderkum would take over the city if they ever decide to abandon that awfully outdated Wing T offense.

From what I'm hearing, Inderkum would take over the city if they ever decide to abandon that awfully outdated Wing T offense.

While they’re at it, if DLS would abandon that awfully outdated veer offense, they’d be able to compete with and beat MD and SJB. < /sarcasm> ;)

I don't see what the fuss is about transfers and Open Enrollment. Every good/great CIF team benefits from transfers and/or open enrollment. Especially in Metropolitan areas. The SJS should just be thankful that schools like Jesuit and St. Mary's don't follow the Mater Dei, SJB formula...

I think Jesuit and St. Mary’s would like too. But it’s just different up here with publics and privates. The public schools are really, really good academically — so not much need to spend $$$ on a private — and there’s a ton of history with the athletic programs of many of the schools.

Also, as far as Jesuit is concerned, I don’t believe they’ll ever attract at that level so long as they continue to play games on Saturday afternoon. I think Capital Christian has a much better shot building a juggernaut if the admin/parents don’t get in the way.

Regarding Open enrollment, San Juan Unified was open enrollment back when I attended and I believe it still is today. While they always had good programs, they had bad ones too. None of them ever developed into Cordova, Grant Union, Nevada Union or Folsom.

So even Open enrollment doesn’t guarantee anything.

Last edited:

It appears that Monterey Trails is now benefitting from Open Enrollment/S.Sacramento. (As someone alluded, South Sac has always been a hotbed for football talent).

In the years to come, schools like MT and Inderkum should cause havoc on the SJS (solid coaching, great facilities). From what I'm hearing, Inderkum would take over the city if they ever decide to abandon that awfully outdated Wing T offense.

Using AFB as an analogy is not a good example. The service men sent to those bases (Mather/McClellan) have nothing to do with HS football and transfers.

If inderkum ditches the wing t I don’t think they’d be any better that scheme is everything ask placer. Inderkum with all its regular season success still hasn’t won a section. That league does them no favors it doesn’t prepare them for the play offs. Inderkum needs to win a section title til then grant will always have dibs on the better talent in the area it’s not a lot of talent in north natomas they have to win while grant struggle to be able to pull some kids from grants radius

Natomas Unified doesn't have open enrollment, and Inderkum High is currently impacted with over 2300 students. That is 500 more students in the past 5 years. Unless you move into the boundaries of Inderkum high school you are not getting in.

Well, the CalHi rankings are out... And just as predicted, Tennis had to perform acrobatics on his system to account for the MT win over Folsom. MT moved from #50 (#14 in NorCal) to #18 (#4 in NorCal) and Folsom is placed directly under at #19 (#5 in NorCal). Also Serra and VC move up 3 spots to #15 & #16 (#2 & #3 NorCal). OR was moved up 5 spots to #25 (#6 NorCal).

Tennis is also weighing in on the NorCal regional DI-AA bowl by suggesting Central of Fresno will be paired with the Serra/VC winner. He clarifies, "If Central were to be upset by Buchanan, that would probably change."

If Monterey Trail were ranked properly throughout the season, there would have been no reason to drop them so far. I don't think there's any way that they're only the 19th best team in the state.

Reactions: MTsince2004
If Monterey Trail were ranked properly throughout the season, there would have been no reason to drop them so far. I don't think there's any way that they're only the 19th best team in the state.

The loss to Cosumnes Oaks was an anchor that weighed down the Monterey Trail perception for the whole season. Rather than being seen as a one-time outlier fueled by an uncharacteristic avalanche of fumbles, it was seen as a benchmark. That last 14 minutes of the game erased the entire fact that MT had been up by 18 pts. and was cruising. It erased decisive blowouts against perennial playoff contenders. After the CO game, once league play began, there was no way to boost CaPreps or even subjective rankings by beating up Metro League teams.

I think the playoffs demonstrated what this team really was: a very good but not necessarily dominant football team capable of competing with other very good football teams. Certainly, the playoff run demonstrated that Monterey Trail was MUCH better than their worst 14 minutes of football. In the end, that loss to CO put MT back in their familiar and comfortable position as underdogs. It let people overlook them, or at least not give them enough credit for their successes. And it kept the players humble, hungry, and hard-working. It's too bad these boys came up a score short of a Section Championship. That would have really given this season a fitting ending.

Reactions: THEOC89 and MCIC
We run a ton of 1 and 2 back offense with west coast schemes. Our Oline blocking scheme is the base of all the best west coast offense and we are in the gun about 20-30% in most games. Our kids love our offense. Our QB throws every game from 3-Step, 5-Step, 7-Step, half roll, sprint out, boot, waggle, naked, Play Action, and does this from under center and from the gun. Our QB Gun run game added the last 2 years has been great as well.
All I can tell you is we get our kids ready to play and be a student in college. College coaches mention all the time how everyone of our kids they recruit, come to them with great work ethic, great fundementals and knowing how to work on the practice field, in the weight room and in the classroom.

Just a side note, I just got a text from an ex player today who plays at juco. He sent me a pic showing his practice player of the year. I told him how proud of him I was with all of his hard work, I said this award is the 1st step to his Def Mvp award he will win one day. Long story short, he said he knows 1 way to work because of us...keep his head down and grind and thanked us.

We run what we run and we work hard. We coach who we get and love the hell out of our kids. If thats not what a parent wants, then that's ok, there are a lot of very good programs out there.

The loss to Cosumnes Oaks was an anchor that weighed down the Monterey Trail perception for the whole season. Rather than being seen as a one-time outlier fueled by an uncharacteristic avalanche of fumbles, it was seen as a benchmark. That last 14 minutes of the game erased the entire fact that MT had been up by 18 pts. and was cruising. It erased decisive blowouts against perennial playoff contenders. After the CO game, once league play began, there was no way to boost CaPreps or even subjective rankings by beating up Metro League teams.

I think the playoffs demonstrated what this team really was: a very good but not necessarily dominant football team capable of competing with other very good football teams. Certainly, the playoff run demonstrated that Monterey Trail was MUCH better than their worst 14 minutes of football. In the end, that loss to CO put MT back in their familiar and comfortable position as underdogs. It let people overlook them, or at least not give them enough credit for their successes. And it kept the players humble, hungry, and hard-working. It's too bad these boys came up a score short of a Section Championship. That would have really given this season a fitting ending.

Also, it wasn't as if C.O. was a terrible team, as well. Yes, they had the bad loss to Cap. Chr., but they also had a win over Elk Grove.

There's a lot of nuance to the games that a lot people either don't have the time to see or the ability. Some think that just because a game went one way, any rematch would always go that way. Just silly thinking. A lot of teams got punished this year for weird losses.

Reactions: MTsince2004
Also, it wasn't as if C.O. was a terrible team, as well. Yes, they had the bad loss to Cap. Chr., but they also had a win over Elk Grove.

There's a lot of nuance to the games that a lot people either don't have the time to see or the ability. Some think that just because a game went one way, any rematch would always go that way. Just silly thinking. A lot of teams got punished this year for weird losses.
All very true. A lot more parity this year. Not as cut and dried, which is a good thing.

Reactions: BoutDatAction
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT