ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom possibly being exiled from SFL

cookie530

Superstar
Sep 17, 2018
VERY interesting...Kind of funny too. I remember a scene from the DLS movie when the there is a league meeting and the other teams threaten to not play them. The same thing is happening in the foothills it seems. Article also copy and pasted in case you don't get the link.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article219497195.html

"The Folsom Bulldogs have been ready for anything thrown at them in the area’s best high school football league — except for an unprecedented effort to have them exiled from it.

At a recent Sierra Foothill League meeting, a monthly discussion of various sports and budgets, the last item on the agenda was Folsom football: competitive equity and safety.

“We felt ambushed,” said Bobby Fresques, Folsom assistant football coach and assistant athletic director, of the Sept. 19 meeting in Granite Bay. “These schools have been talking about this, and we didn’t know. They had data such as point differential, transfers, concerns of safety, if we’re running up the score, padding stats. You can only take so much of this criticism before you say something back.”

Do the Bulldogs have too much snarl and bite for their competition? Many SFL coaches and administrators have suggested that Folsom at some point be removed from the SFL and classified as an independent, to take on a national schedule to fit Folsom’s soaring profile of success.

In other words, pick on someone your own size.

“Folsom is so good, it’s from a different planet now, completely out of this atmosphere, and teams around here can’t compete, and sometimes it becomes a safety issue because you have teams going up against guys who are major recruits,” said Rocklin coach Greg Benzel, whose team lost to Folsom by seven touchdowns on Sept. 28.

“I don’t want to be a person who sounds like sour milk,” Benzel said. “We’ve had our success here. Folsom’s earned everything they’ve got with darn good coaches and a program that has attracted a lot of great athletes, but I think this should be addressed. Will I say I’d never play them again? I will say that I don’t know if I want to play them next year.”

Said Granite Bay coach Jeff Evans, “No doubt Folsom should play independent. What they are doing is not high school football, not public high school football, anyway. I have been around public high school football my entire life and what they are doing and achieving is unnatural.

“It is not sour grapes. We can all handle losing because we are in this for more than just wins, but something has to be done.”

SFL coaches point to De La Salle of Concord as an example of going to an independent schedule, to allow existing league members a chance to win a league championship. The nationally renowned Spartans went to an independent schedule 20 years ago — and wanted to as Bay Area teams could not compete with the private school.

Folsom has emerged as a public-school power this decade, one in which it has won 118 games and lost just 10, with six Sac-Joaquin Section championships and three CIF State banners, including last season for a 16-0 team.

Sixteen starters returned from that team for Folsom, which has plowed through the SFL this fall, beating then No. 2-ranked Oak Ridge 62-6 and Rocklin 48-0 with Whitney, Granite Bay, Grant and Del Oro remaining. The Bulldogs have won 26 consecutive SFL games since entering the league in 2013, winning by an average score of 48-10.
“The average margin, 48-10, means a running clock just about every time,” said Rocklin athletic director Ryan Spears. “We’re looking for competitive equity in our league. We’ve been a great league for a long time with schools that have reached or won section titles or won CIF state championships — Del Oro, Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, Grant.

“Folsom is just a different beast. We’re a proud football program, too, but this is something that needs to be talked about.”

No public school football program has gone independent in the history of the section. Such a move would require SFL-member voter approval, including from Folsom. But the Bulldogs want to stay in the league that is known for its sellout crowds, which provide an atmosphere for players, students and fans.

Folsom principal Howard Cadenhead, who represents the SFL on the CIF board of managers, said: “I understand the concern and the responsibility of the SFL administrators and athletic directors, but of course, I would not agree with any proposal to make Folsom football independent. Since we are not going to vote to become independent, I don’t believe any proposal made by the SFL would get to the CIF.”

Only preliminary discussions have been had at the league level, and no formal proposal has been introduced.

Folsom coaches said they feel they are under siege. Attacks questioning the means and methods of their success escalated this week on social media, including by some within the Rocklin community. It only fans the flames, said Folsom head coach Kris Richardson.

“To all of a sudden want to vote us out because we’ve been so good just seems wrong,” Richardson said. “Yeah, we take it personal. All we’re doing is playing good, hard football. We haven’t done anything wrong. We don’t run up the score.

“People forget that it wasn’t that long ago where we scrambled just to be competitive. We never complained when we got our teeth kicked in. We worked to get better.”

He added, “Not a single SFL coach has asked me about any of this, not a word. That’s disappointing. I hear it from principals, and that’s just not right.”

At the root of the issue is what SFL members deem unfair advantages for Folsom, The Bee’s top-ranked team for all but one week since the start of the 2012 season.

With open enrollment, Folsom can draw student-athletes from outside its district, which is not uncommon across the state but is within the SFL. Among the league’s seven members, Del Oro and Grant are the only others with open enrollment.

“Folsom isn’t breaking rules, but Folsom has a different set of rules than the rest of us,” Oak Ridge coach Eric Cavaliere said. “The open enrollment issue is big. We can’t take any kids into our school unless they live in El Dorado Hills. I think Folsom should go independent. We’d still want to play them in a regular-season game because that’s still a big game for us. But the gap between No. 1 Folsom and the rest of the area has never been bigger — ever.”

Some SFL coaches bristle that Folsom’s best players are not homegrown. Three of the Bulldogs’ stars, quarterback Kaiden Bennett and brothers Daniyel and Joe Ngata, are from Reno. They enrolled at Folsom before their freshman seasons after their families moved and have become perhaps the region’s greatest collection of skill players on one team.

Joe Ngata, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound senior wide receiver, has committed to 2017 national champion Clemson. Daniyel Ngata, an electric junior athlete, has more than a dozen scholarship offers, including from Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan and Pacific-12 Conference schools. Bennett, The Bee’s 2017 Offensive Player of the Year as a junior, has passed for 24 touchdowns and two interceptions in six games this season.

Ray Ngata and Derek Bennett said they moved to Folsom to give their sons the best chance at academic and athletic success.

Folsom received another injection of talent from Reno this season. Chandon Pierre, a 6-3, 255-pound senior defensive end, led Nevada in sacks as a sophomore and junior at Bishop Manogue. Pierre’s family moved to Folsom in February, but because it was not deemed a full-family move, CIF transfer rules required him to sit out until the Sept. 28 game against Rocklin.

Some SFL coaches and athletic directors question the inordinate amount of players at Folsom, at all levels, they contend were not with the program last season. But Folsom disputes any notion it has a high number of transfers. The section’s website shows Folsom has five total for junior varsity and varsity.

“Yeah, we’ve got great athletes, and we get some transfers, but everyone gets transfers,” Richardson, Folsom’s head coach, said. “We’ve lost really good players to other schools, and we wish them well. And we hear it all the time about some of our players, ‘Oh, he didn’t grow up in Folsom.’

“People on social media and everywhere else should just shut up when talking about 16- or 17-year-old kids. It’s just really dumb.”

Folsom’s three CIF State championship teams this decade featured a majority of players who grew up in the program, starting with the youth Folsom Junior Bulldogs, which has been dominant for 15 years.

“I’m not knocking on doors to hustle kids. I’m not driving around Reno to recruit kids,” Richardson said. “I teach PE. I tell freshmen and sophomores all the time to come play football. Yeah, we get incoming freshmen and some play football.

“If a kid is enrolled at Folsom and cleared to play, rubber-stamped by the CIF, then I’ll coach the heck out of him. I’ve never met a coach anywhere who wouldn’t do the same thing and isn’t doing that right now.”

Not everyone outside of Folsom feels that the Bulldogs should leave the SFL.

Grant athletic director Carl Reed, an assistant coach for the Pacers, wants Folsom to stay.

“Folsom’s a public school, and we were that school one time — dominant,” Reed said. “It’s a cycle. Many public schools have good runs. Eventually, you rely on kids in your own district. Hell, Folsom returns its entire team from from last year and you should expect them to dominate.”

Solution, Coach Reed? “Beat ’em!"

Reactions: s2h17
Using DLS as an example may not work. They were independent for years while they were in the BVAL before becoming full members of the EBAL from 2008-2011. They then went independent again until this year, where they are now back as a full member of the EBAL.

If teams the EBAL can play DLS every year, then the SFL (considered a better league than the EBAL) should be able to play Folsom (a team that is 0-3 vs DLS this decade). Time to step up instead of trying to hide.

Using DLS as an example may not work. They were independent for years while they were in the BVAL before becoming full members of the EBAL from 2008-2011. They then went independent again until this year, where they are now back as a full member of the EBAL.

If teams the EBAL can play DLS every year, then the SFL (considered a better league than the EBAL) should be able to play Folsom (a team that is 0-3 vs DLS this decade). Time to step up instead of trying to hide.
Good points. Folsom returned 16 starters from last year from a state title team. This year was much expected.

After this year, I don't think they return to anything near what they have been for the last decade or so. That is my honest opinion. Just not sure what all the fuss is about.

The article specifically points about the Rocklin community, especially on social media. Not sure where that came from since I am not on social media- and for good reason.

Reactions: awood1
Good points. Folsom returned 16 starters from last year from a state title team. This year was much expected.

After this year, I don't think they return to anything near what they have been for the last decade or so. That is my honest opinion. Just not sure what all the fuss is about.

The article specifically points about the Rocklin community, especially on social media. Not sure where that came from since I am not on social media- and for good reason.

block " That is my 'honest opinion " LOL!! mtjohn sock puppe.t

I guess what they are saying is if folsom is getting help from other places like Reno and Sacramento maybe they should play a schedule that will challenge them. Getting transfers to beat local teams is weak. Or just win with folsom kids
Good take but we could say the same about the teams in the SS. And if you don't have outside help/talent you don't stand a chance against teams like SJB, MD and perhaps Cen10. Don't believe Cen10 is on the level of MD and SJB in recruiting but I do believe they may get outside talent. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Folsom should be the ones making the request to go independent if the SFL competition isn't there. I'm not completely familiar with DLS' situation but in at least one of the instances where they went independent from the EBAL wasn't it at their request?

I used to coach against James Logan, our goal was to get a 1st down in the 1st half. The bigger goal was to be close enough that their coaches would actually have to coach at half time. Usually didn't achieve either goal. The issue I had was that they would stomp everyone and then lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. The MVAL wasn't strong enough to prepare them for the playoffs. Their starters were out in Q3 usually, and they didn't have to play hard or coach hard. I think it was kinda the same for DLS, the league was being dominated which didn't prepare them for post season. Now Logan is back in the MVAL and has to contend with Moreau.

If Folsom goes through every league season 48-10 they aren't being tested, I don't care how good the competition is. I'm sure that they won't have any problems, the coaches are good and so are the players. But I don't think that any league in the SJS would present a challenge to them.

We have the same issue, albeit at a lot lower level, a team in league that had been in a stronger league, had ok success, and is now in ours. Hasn't lost a league game in 4 years, by about the same score. Their position is you want to beat us, work harder. Sounds good, but they've got 4 players at 6'2", 220 or better, we got none. Their players move to DI's and start. Ours go back to the farm. It makes a difference. Lost 4 kids to concussions the last time we played them.

I wish nothing but the best for Folsom, they have created a great program there. And greatness attracts greatness, that's why the players go there. I don't think anyone will challenge them in NorCal except DLS.

And yes, at some point, the wheels will turn and DLS will lose a game to a NorCal team. And they will return to earth. I expected a bigger drop when the coaching changed. And Grant will rise again. And Folsom will be a .500 team. But its not this year.

observer22....you always seem to have good insights on the wheres and whys of the EBAL. Why is DLS no longer Independent ?

Know the importance of what I think is less important than the number of sideline Gatorade bottles available on Friday Night, but I liked the independent status with the Spartans partially filling their schedule playing some of EBAL's best each season.....,,but not all the league's teams.

Just as no one enjoys an a$$ kicking by someone with steel toed boots there is no honor in snot slapping a team that is clearly not your equal. Can be a definite learning curve being challenged by independent play of different non-league teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
Good take but we could say the same about the teams in the SS. And if you don't have outside help/talent you don't stand a chance against teams like SJB, MD and perhaps Cen10. Don't believe Cen10 is on the level of MD and SJB in recruiting but I do believe they may get outside talent. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you play in a league of transfers then schedule nationally ranked teams that’s one thing but if you need help to beat local teams then schedule sac high Jesuit anc other local teams that’s a problem. How much would folsom be beating these sfl teams without 3-4 Reno kids and a handful of sac area players? We now know it’s parebts of other sfl teams that don’t like what folsom is doing. Grant is ok with it because we know we will have better talent in most years. Folsom has returned a state championship team they should be doing this to the teams. It’s funny ho they added another Reno stand out though lol they took open enrollment to a new level

Thanks for posting the article by Davidson. I was at the Rocklin vs. Folsom game and the competition level was on different hemispheres, as exected. I do think the “Rocklin Community” was expecting to get worked, so no sour grapes about that, but the real objection was to the bush league b.s. tactics by Folsom, which I believe is a reflection of coaching leadership.

There is a clip of a hit circulating online, a pretty egregious cheap shot hit from a Folsom player targeting the head and neck of a defenseless player. The player, that was injured as a result had his back turned to the play (play blown dead literally 3 seconds before). The folsom player ran 20 yds to strike the player and was his second personal flag of the game. C’mon man

I think Folsom runs a lights out program, they clearly attract stellar athletes. My hope is that they stay in SFL, and it raises the competition of the league have nots. The reality is for the foreseeable future, Folsom is the big dog.

Dear Oak Ridge,

You have 8 players on your Midget Football team who all are repeating 8th grade, 3 of those would start on JV. 2 are safety issues for others.

Dear Rocklin,

You have 5-6 Incoming Frosh on your baseball team whose families moved to go to Rocklin. Several repeated 8th grade.

Dear Granite Bay,

You guys have FB players from Sacramento on your team.

Folsom has the best team it’s ever had and will drop off a bunch. Embrace it as a league. Nobody complained when DO won a State Title with many players NOT from Loomis.

Go get em Bulldogs!

Thanks for posting the article by Davidson. I was at the Rocklin vs. Folsom game and the competition level was on different hemispheres, as exected. I do think the “Rocklin Community” was expecting to get worked, so no sour grapes about that, but the real objection was to the bush league b.s. tactics by Folsom, which I believe is a reflection of coaching leadership.

There is a clip of a hit circulating online, a pretty egregious cheap shot hit from a Folsom player targeting the head and neck of a defenseless player. The player, that was injured as a result had his back turned to the play (play blown dead literally 3 seconds before). The folsom player ran 20 yds to strike the player and was his second personal flag of the game. C’mon man

I think Folsom runs a lights out program, they clearly attract stellar athletes. My hope is that they stay in SFL, and it raises the competition of the league have nots. The reality is for the foreseeable future, Folsom is the big dog.
Nailed

I couldn't have said it better Santa Ball..glad there’s a little perspective out there...Folsom coaches missed a ton of teachable moments at the Rocklin game to help those boys grow into men..but they didn’t take it, instead chose the easy way out...

Nailed

I couldn't have said it better Santa Ball..glad there’s a little perspective out there...Folsom coaches missed a ton of teachable moments at the Rocklin game to help those boys grow into men..but they didn’t take it, instead chose the easy way out...
Sour Grapes

observer22....you always seem to have good insights on the wheres and whys of the EBAL. Why is DLS no longer Independent ?

Know the importance of what I think is less important than the number of sideline Gatorade bottles available on Friday Night, but I liked the independent status where the Spartans partially filling their schedule playing some of EBAL's best each season.....,,but not all the league's teams.

Just as no one enjoys an a$$ kicking by someone with steel toed boots there is no honor in snot slapping a team that is clearly not your equal. There is a definite learning curve being challenged by independent play of different non-league teams.

The biggest reason DLS is no longer independent is that with the addition of Dublin and Dougherty Valley, the EBAL has now split into 2 leagues [Mountain (A) & Valley (B)]. The teams in the Mountain (DLS, MV, SRV, Cal & Foothill) play each of the other 4 and at least one other team from the other league, and still have room to schedule a lot of teams outside the EBAL. Although the league was flexible enough to permit DLS to drop the AV game on late notice in order to allow them to play Folsom in the opener this year.

The last few years, EBAL teams that played DLS had only 1 other non league game to schedule, so teams like SRV & Cal who played DLS every year we’re limited. Now this year we see Cal being able to branch out and play 3 BVAL teams, while SRV was able to schedule 2 BVAL teams plus Monterey Trail & Riordan. Similarly, this let’s DLS play a lot of non league opponents while teams like Livermore and Dougherty Valley won’t be subject to getting blasted by the big boys of the Mountain division anymore. It’s a win-win for all concerned.

I read the article from joe and looked to see if it was discussed on here..so well done! It is an interesting read and I have a few thoughts...

I think folsom really does like being in the sfl and does see it as a challenge and not every year is it a cake walk for folsom...though it has been since about 2014..though remember in 2015 they lost to bellarmine in nor cal finals and st marys in 2016...just no league losses....that being said, with more open enrollment and the success they are having this year and last and to some degree 2014, i think folsom is starting to build a more national foundation and reputation and as such are attracting better athletes to play...but also the education quality and quality of living make it that desireable...but mind you, kids still have to live in folsom whereas a dls or bellarmine doesnt require that..no animosity just a fact...

I think the sfl coaches are looking at this year and how dominant folsom is and declaring the need for folsom to go independent. While as a folsom fan i like a national profile, i care more about community and the sfl being represented...so staying in sfl for now should be valued by the coaches..if it wasnt for folsom, the exposure of students to potential cottages would be as readily available...now if folsom dominates sfl next year with another state final than yes maybe push tp go ind'pt would

The biggest reason DLS is no longer independent is that with the addition of Dublin and Dougherty Valley, the EBAL has now split into 2 leagues [Mountain (A) & Valley (B)]. The teams in the Mountain (DLS, MV, SRV, Cal & Foothill) play each of the other 4 and at least one other team from the other league, and still have room to schedule a lot of teams outside the EBAL. Although the league was flexible enough to permit DLS to drop the AV game on late notice in order to allow them to play Folsom in the opener this year.

The last few years, EBAL teams that played DLS had only 1 other non league game to schedule, so teams like SRV & Cal who played DLS every year we’re limited. Now this year we see Cal being able to branch out and play 3 BVAL teams, while SRV was able to schedule 2 BVAL teams plus Monterey Trail & Riordan. Similarly, this let’s DLS play a lot of non league opponents while teams like Livermore and Dougherty Valley won’t be subject to getting blasted by the big boys of the Mountain division anymore. It’s a win-win for all concerned.

I love the new EBAL setup. I’m hoping this trend can spread to the CCS and they can set up some smaller leagues in the (non WCAL) central and southern CCS, which are dominated by the same small group of public schools and Palma year in year out.

So does the other schools want open enrollment too? Or should the sfl schools all have closed enrollment. Folsom should just play better competition for non league games. Anybody that watched high school football should’ve seen this year coming. I say wait to the 4 Reno kids graduate then see if folsom dominates the sfl. I think it’s only a problem if they keep bringing in more kids from Nevada I believe that’s what the real problem is for the sfl people that’s crying. Me personally I don’t think folsom separates itself by much I’d it didn’t have the Reno kids from the other top sfl teams many others must feel the same

Dear Oak Ridge,

You have 8 players on your Midget Football team who all are repeating 8th grade, 3 of those would start on JV. 2 are safety issues for others.

Dear Rocklin,

You have 5-6 Incoming Frosh on your baseball team whose families moved to go to Rocklin. Several repeated 8th grade.

Dear Granite Bay,

You guys have FB players from Sacramento on your team.

Folsom has the best team it’s ever had and will drop off a bunch. Embrace it as a league. Nobody complained when DO won a State Title with many players NOT from Loomis.

Go get em Bulldogs!
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: s2h17 and awood1
that being said, with more open enrollment and the success they are having this year and last and to some degree 2014, i think folsom is starting to build a more national foundation and reputation
While this is true, your point about open enrollment is a bit deceiving. I will attempt to clarify:

1. Folsom DOES have open enrollment. So does Grant and Del Oro. The caveat to that is the school MUST have room at that school to take a student that applies for open enrollment. With that said, I can't think of ONE student on the Folsom FB team that is an open enrollment student. Why do you think the Reno families moved their entire lives there?

***Folsom's ONE transfer from the Reno area this year had to sit out games because his family moved to Folsom but the CIF deemed it "not a full family move," therefore, a sit out period ensued. Rules enforced.

2. Folsom shows a total of 5 transfers across JV & Varsity football. Other SFL schools actually have more! (5 just seems silly considering who they are being asked and told to play)

3. Folsom has actually lost 3 times as many students and football players to others SFL schools than it gets in transfers!

4. The whole "local talent" think is always a fun topic- "You need to play SJB or Mater Dei!" "You need to play a national schedule!" "Your talent better all be local!" All this while those teams sport 50-70 transfers. We cry over 2-3 on the varsity. Which one is it?

As @TheGoldenShower stated, many of the other SFL schools are doing many of the same legal things across many different sports. You don't hear a peep from the Folsom community. We support those programs and no sour grapes. The way it should be.

The Grant coach said it best- "Solution- go Beat em!"

While this is true, your point about open enrollment is a bit deceiving. I will attempt to clarify:

1. Folsom DOES have open enrollment. So does Grant and Del Oro. The caveat to that is the school MUST have room at that school to take a student that applies for open enrollment. With that said, I can't think of ONE student on the Folsom FB team that is an open enrollment student. Why do you think the Reno families moved their entire lives there?

***Folsom's ONE transfer from the Reno area this year had to sit out games because his family moved to Folsom but the CIF deemed it "not a full family move," therefore, a sit out period ensued. Rules enforced.

2. Folsom shows a total of 5 transfers across JV & Varsity football. Other SFL schools actually have more! (5 just seems silly considering who they are being asked and told to play)

3. Folsom has actually lost 3 times as many students and football players to others SFL schools than it gets in transfers!

4. The whole "local talent" think is always a fun topic- "You need to play SJB or Mater Dei!" "You need to play a national schedule!" "Your talent better all be local!" All this while those teams sport 50-70 transfers. We cry over 2-3 on the varsity. Which one is it?

As @TheGoldenShower stated, many of the other SFL schools are doing many of the same legal things across many different sports. You don't hear a peep from the Folsom community. We support those programs and no sour grapes. The way it should be.

4 of folsoms main guys aren’t even considered transfers. Let’s see if the families continue to stay there once their kids graduate. If sac high can beat this team and compete with them the sfl teams should just suck it up and figure out how sac high was able to stop them. If grant can figure out other pass routes than fades and clean up self inflicted mistakes I could see them pulling off the upset, I mean sac high did it so could we

Reactions: sarpar and awood1

See ! I knew you would know.....Thanks friend.
Someday we'll meet up at game and the touchdown chili cheese dog with jalapenos is on me...acid reflux is on you.

Again thanks.

See ! I knew you would know.....Thanks friend.
Someday we'll meet up at game and the touchdown chili cheese dog with jalapenos is on me...acid reflux is on you.

Again thanks.

I think O22 would consider treating since he didn’t fork over the tuition...maybe even throw in some stale nachos with the congealed, cold bagged cheez whiz!
Time to feed some 220 into the cafeteria?

New CIF HS Enrollment Form:

1. Where were you born?
2. Where were you born?
3. Where were you born?
4. Where were you born?
5. Where were you born?

I think that about covers it for some posters.

Grant athletic director Carl Reed, an assistant coach for the Pacers, wants Folsom to stay.

“Folsom’s a public school, and we were that school one time — dominant,” Reed said. “It’s a cycle. Many public schools have good runs. Eventually, you rely on kids in your own district. Hell, Folsom returns its entire team from from last year and you should expect them to dominate.”

Solution, Coach Reed? “Beat ’em!"
Well said Coach Reed!

Personally I find it incredulous that this is even a conversation. Why would any SFL team not want the opportunity to play a team the caliber of Folsom? If any other SFL team wants to win league then build a program to compete. Obviously easier with open enrollment schools but it can be done, Rocklin and Whitney have done it albeit without a juggernaut in their league.

Folsom was nothing. Taylor & Richardson did it right and institutionalized a system for success. I’m not particularly a Folsom fan but I’m glad they are in the SFL as my favorite SFL team DO will be better for it knowing Folsom will likely beat the snot out of them.

Grant & NU & Cordova, etc back in the day made Sac area football better. Folsom makes Sac football better. Play Folsom, learn and get better. Again glad Folsom is in the SFL.

Go Folsom, SFL and of course go DO!!

I would agree with your view and you are right and i forgot the incoming transfers are very minimal and plus as i mentioned you actually have to live in folsom to attend and honestly, before last year no one knew the ngata boys, kaiden or badger..i think the only way folsom should ever consider independent is if they start to find themselves at the same pace they have been at the last two years but for a longer duration...three more years of state titles amd dominance..maybe...but they shouldnt feel pressured

Plus as much as everyone says folsom should have harder schedules..we arent talking MD or DLS..this is a local public hs who are proud of not only their own school but the whole league..the folsom community doesnt push this national identity narrative nor does the school itself..if they did they would have been looking at independent already....just hats off to the folsom coaching, players and community...i love living here

Oh and correction to my previous comment..i meant to say "colleges" not cottages have been able to see more local talent due to both folsom and sfl

Reactions: cookie530
Well said Coach Reed!

Personally I find it incredulous that this is even a conversation. Why would any SFL team not want the opportunity to play a team the caliber of Folsom? If any other SFL team wants to win league then build a program to compete. Obviously easier with open enrollment schools but it can be done, Rocklin and Whitney have done it albeit without a juggernaut in their league.

Folsom was nothing. Taylor & Richardson did it right and institutionalized a system for success. I’m not particularly a Folsom fan but I’m glad they are in the SFL as my favorite SFL team DO will be better for it knowing Folsom will likely beat the snot out of them.

Grant & NU & Cordova, etc back in the day made Sac area football better. Folsom makes Sac football better. Play Folsom, learn and get better. Again glad Folsom is in the SFL.

Go Folsom, SFL and of course go DO!!
As usual, great assessment @smashmouthrick. I have been reading your posts for years now and you are one of the most honest and impartial posters on here. I truly value your positive attitude towards HSFB.

Good luck to DO this year!

Reactions: smashmouthrick
i forgot the incoming transfers are very minimal and plus as i mentioned you actually have to live in folsom to attend
You are correct in that you have to physically live in Folsom to attend. There has been a lot of misinformation about "open enrollment," and rightfully so. Technically, all Folsom schools are "open enrollment." People don't read the fine print when it says "space available." Both schools are at capacity. If Folsom was a true "open enrollment," they would have MANY MORE transfers than the entire ONE they got this year. This is why the few players that have got from out of the area, chose to move to Folsom to attend. Nothing wrong with that and actually very common in this day and age. The SoCal schools operate under the same rules, but the private school powerhouses that Folsom is being asked to play, do not have boundaries and kids can live and attend where they want. Completely different.

before last year no one knew the ngata boys, kaiden or badger
Not only that, but most people don't know their older brother Ariel is a star at UW and also attended Folsom. The Ngata's are nothing new to Folsom despite what is portrayed.

i think the only way folsom should ever consider independent is if they start to find themselves at the same pace they have been at the last two years but for a longer duration
They will never go independent. They're talent will fluctuate year to year due to the more restrictive public school transfers rules that privates do not have to adhere to. As @ThunderRam stated, Folsom is fairly new to the game. It wasn't that long ago that they were a mediocre program.

Also- the SFL has continually been ranked as the #2 league in ALL of CA the last few years or so. It is not like Folsom plays in some small school league in the Northern Section or up north in the NCS. This is the SFL that has powers like Del Oro, Grant, Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, and Rocklin. All teams that have been relevant on the state and national level at some point and won state titles!

You are correct in that you have to physically live in Folsom to attend. There has been a lot of misinformation about "open enrollment," and rightfully so. Technically, all Folsom schools are "open enrollment." People don't read the fine print when it says "space available." Both schools are at capacity. If Folsom was a true "open enrollment," they would have MANY MORE transfers than the entire ONE they got this year. This is why the few players that have got from out of the area, chose to move to Folsom to attend. Nothing wrong with that and actually very common in this day and age. The SoCal schools operate under the same rules, but the private school powerhouses that Folsom is being asked to play, do not have boundaries and kids can live and attend where they want. Completely different.

Not only that, but most people don't know their older brother Ariel is a star at UW and also attended Folsom. The Ngata's are nothing new to Folsom despite what is portrayed.

They will never go independent. They're talent will fluctuate year to year due to the more restrictive public school transfers rules that privates do not have to adhere to. As @ThunderRam stated, Folsom is fairly new to the game. It wasn't that long ago that they were a mediocre program.

Also- the SFL has continually been ranked as the #2 league in ALL of CA the last few years or so. It is not like Folsom plays in some small school league in the Northern Section or up north in the NCS. This is the SFL that has powers like Del Oro, Grant, Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, and Rocklin. All teams that have been relevant on the state and national level at some point and won state titles!

Could not agree more with the points you are making.

Reactions: cookie530
4 of folsoms main guys aren’t even considered transfers. Let’s see if the families continue to stay there once their kids graduate. If sac high can beat this team and compete with them the sfl teams should just suck it up and figure out how sac high was able to stop them. If grant can figure out other pass routes than fades and clean up self inflicted mistakes I could see them pulling off the upset, I mean sac high did it so could we

Why does it matter if the family moves after the kid graduates? I don’t understand this attitude that a kid is a “transfer” unless they basically stay in one house and attend the public school they are “supposed” to go to from K-12.

Last edited:
Sad commentary on the other coaches I'd say. They have transfers too. And they don't all run open competitions in their programs as does Folsom. Maybe they should stop with the daddy ball crap, learn to coach better and get their kids excited about the competition they get to face each week.

And recognize that their communities are putting their best athletes into sports other than football. Granite Bay chief among those.

And you really need to retain a great coach when you have one and not subject him to being thrown out due to whiney parents who are pissed Johnny is getting beaten out in his position competition.

And they don't all run open competitions in their programs as does Folsom. Maybe they should stop with the daddy ball crap
Can't agree more, treat the players right and let them compete for a spot, don't anoint players before they even arrive on campus.

Granite Bay chief among those.
Have heard this, too. Are you a GB parent, have you seen this to be true?

retain a great coach when you have one
Who has been thrown out due to whiney parents? You talking in general or SFL?

I think O22 would consider treating since he didn’t fork over the tuition...maybe even throw in some stale nachos with the congealed, cold bagged cheez whiz!
Time to feed some 220 into the cafeteria?

Hah!
Saw that guy up standing at the driveway entrance of the local Home Depot. His giveaway was in his sign: "Will cut concrete, build your room addition or rotate your tires for lunch & a bear" Assumed he meant 'beer' but this is California..... so who knows?

Well, I knew this was coming following the SFL AD's meeting, which was a scheduled meeting that occurs regularly to go over the current state of the SFL and resolve issues, just like any normal board meeting. Although there were several topics to go over, the final topic of discussion was the issue of Folsom's football program. The initial article in the SacBee and all of the social media outlets that have touched this subject including Facebook, NCP, etc, have responded with "sour grapes" and "ambushed" and "just beat 'em" etc. First I want to acknowledge that this is all BULL$HIT, and the majority opinion of the SFL opponents of Folsom is being criticised as usual.

1. It has been no secret that there are rumblings of Folsom recruiting, being a transfer factory, blah blah etc throughout the media and forums. At some point, if red flags truly exists, then the people that actually have a say or impact on these issues, if valid or not, will begin a process of discussion and resolution. This is exactly what happen two weeks ago at the meeting. In the appropriate forum, each SFL team had their opinions and concerns about current Folsom, with the overwhelming topic being open enrollment. Why did Folsom feel ambushed? This was not an emergency meeting! This is how resolution begins, discussing issues and finding a way to fix it. If every member has issues, then Folsom needs to sit up and pay attention and discuss the matter. Head coaches will not pull Folsom Coach aside and discuss in a back room, it doesn't work that way. No one is feeling sorry for Folsom if they feel ambushed, this is how big boys handle situations, upfront face-to-face.
2. I am an SFL coach. I understand each team's point made, however I will comment only on Oak Ridge. OR's take is Folsom is not breaking any rules, but they are playing with a different set of rules. It is clearly stated in the SacBee report that OR wants to continue playing Folsom each year. we are in no way backing down from Folsom! However, if we are to compete with Folsom for a league title and section title then the rules need to change with regards to open enrollment, either allow all teams to have open enrollment or close all teams from open enrollment. The biggest impact open enrollment gives a program is the 8th graders going in 9th grade, not necessarily transfers. Having kids from outside Folsom with sports-minded intentions enter 9th grade at your school is huge. In a closed enrollment system, this does not work unless they physically move and establish residence within those boundaries. At OR, the boundaries are even more restricted, since there are areas of El Dorado Hills that are not in the boundaries of OR, they go to Pondo/Union Mine. A known fact last season was that Folsom temporarily closed the open enrollment. The freshman team goes 0-9. Did it make an impact? I'm pretty sure the Jr Bulldogs Midget squad the year before did well, as I see they dominate the region each year at all five levels. Are there kids playing in the Jr program not eligible to go to Folsom in a closed enrollment rule? Now Folsom is back to open enrollment and the JV team is 5-2 with a team that looks a little different than the year before. Transfers (a few) and new players (freshman up on JV) has made an impact. I don't know all the facts, but I'm sure this matter is a small part of the concerns the SFL is reviewing. It's the collection of data over the course of the past 4-5 years that seem to drive this now official discussion.

NCP is an interesting site. I do enjoy several of the regular member's comments and insights. However, as this topic goes through the resolution process by the SFL board, I hope the focus of the main issues remain in the front of everyone's comments as this forum can expand quickly off topic on any given thread.

Good luck to all SFL teams tonight. It's going to be a barn-burner in Loomis, don't miss it. Go Trojans!

but they are playing with a different set of rules.
Not really. Open enrollment is set by the school districts, not the CIF. If you would like open enrollment for your school district, I would start with the school board there.

As I have stated before, Folsom is open enrollment in "theory" but is at capacity for both high schools. Meaning, you cannot live outside of the school boundaries, apply for open enrollment, and BAM you're in! Doesn't work that way. Look at Pierre, the kid from Reno who had to sit out the first 4 games of the season. He actually moved to Folsom because he couldn't get in under open enrollment. His family moved but CIF deemed it not a "full family move" and he had to sit out.

You can't tell families they cannot move! This is America. My guess is if this kid showed up at Rocklin or Oak Ridge, he would be hailed as a hero. He shows up at Folsom and now "the whole system sucks!' Cmon.

either allow all teams to have open enrollment or close all teams from open enrollment.
This is an interesting point. Folsom has lost more kids to Oak Ridge over the last few years than it has received in transfers. Total.

If open enrollment were TRULY happening at Folsom, they would have EXPONENTIALLY more than the 5 total transfers this year for the JV & Varsity teams. If Folsom allowed anyone to attend under open enrollment, they would have 50-70 transfers just as MD and Bosco have. Not five lol!

The biggest impact open enrollment gives a program is the 8th graders going in 9th grade, not necessarily transfers. Having kids from outside Folsom with sports-minded intentions enter 9th grade at your school is huge.

I don't think you understand the the actual rules. You cannot, as of now, as an 8th grader, that lives outside of Folsom, just apply for open enrollment, and attend Folsom as a 9th grader. Schools are at capacity. You HAVE TO LIVE IN FOLSOM to attend. Yes, you may APPLY under open enrollment- but good luck with that.

Now Folsom is back to open enrollment and the JV team is 5-2 with a team that looks a little different than the year before.
This statement is just disingenuous at best. The JV team is 5-2 and now we are all up in arms! I am sure the 2 or 3 transfer kids on the JV team will likely lead Folsom to their next national title. After all, you have to compete with the MDs and SJBs of the world with 50-70 transfers!

Remember- you can enroll in Oak Ridge without open enrollment JUST AS EASY as enrolling in Folsom right now. You can move to El Dorado Hills and attend Oak Ridge just as easy as you can move into Folsom and attend Folsom High School. Cost of living is similar. Why not?

People have short memories. Yes, Folsom has dominated the SFL and not lost a league game in I don't know how long. It really doesn't matter. It is all cyclical. Programs like Grant and Nevada Union were the same way back in the day. We just have more outlets to complain now and more of a "I need to win now!" mentality more than we have ever had. Instead of being a better coach and program, which in turn makes your players better and attracts better players, it's much easier to make up excuses for why we keep losing.

I would also like to add after looking at some of your prior posts:
1. You stated Isiah Rutherfords parents bought a home and he would be attending Folsom and not Jesuit. That turned out to be false. I won't go into detail on your other posts, instead allowing others to review for themselves.

I am kind of torn because I can see some peoples points here. Oak Ridge was down 56-0 at half. Think about that for a minute. And Oak Ridge isn't a bad team. @MCIC stated in a prior posts that Oak Ridge was better than Chaminade! I get being mad, but this is the wrong way to go about it.

As Grants coach said- "beat em!"

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the aforementioned points, particularly the better coaching piece.

Mentioned above; Folsom vs. Rocklin

Last edited:
. ....I think O22 would consider treating since he didn’t fork over the tuition...maybe even throw in some stale nachos with the congealed, cold bagged cheez whiz!
Time to feed some 220 into the cafeteria?..,,.

Not to hijack this thread but can't resist hitting a hole in the line when I see it.....

Tuition no era problema...
Crete jr was the recipient of the 4 yr
St Beatrice the Bountiful full scholarship which covered tuition, books, room & board in the "Remember the 300" dormitory as well as as 1 round trip flight ticket & ground transportation to/from both the Concord-Buchanan Field shuttle to Oakland airport following each grading period.

Again apologies for the thread hijack
(Am seriously trying to get help).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1315
Cookies, I get it, I didn't expect anything different or short of what you stated as a response. I just don't have time to respond to the specifics of your comments towards me or the issue. This issue will not be settled on this forum, thank God. It will be settled by SFL, school districts and CIF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT