ADVERTISEMENT

Fr. Kelly Tribute

laidbackcoach

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2001
Some good Nor Cal teams will be lacing them up in Sac area this Saturday . . .

Father Kelly Tribute (Carmichael Jesuit HS – 1/9/16)

El Cerrito vs Jesuit (Carmichael), 8 pm
St. Francis (Mountain View) vs. Folsom, 6:30 pm
Monte Vista (Danville) vs. Granite Bay, 5 pm
Newark Memorial vs. Capital Christian (Sacramento), 3 pm
St. Mary’s (Berkeley) vs. Clovis North (Clovis), 1:30 pm
Foothill (Pleasanton) vs. Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove), 12 pm

I'll be up there... Just for fun, let's see how many winners I can pick.

12pm Pleasant Grove (Just a guess based on rankings and what their earlier schedules look like)

1:30 Clovis North (I saw Clovis North last week... They led 48-15 at the half over Acalanes, looked quite good. SM plays just about everyone tough, though)

3pm Capital Christian (I've seen both teams, and I think CC is a little too athletic for NM)

4:30 Granite Bay (MV looked pretty good when I saw them last week, but nothing like they have been the last couple years. Haven't seen Granite Bay play, but their record looks pretty good. Practically a tossup for me here)

6pm Folsom (Another terrific matchup... Close call, but I think Folsom has had the tougher schedule overall)

8pm El Cerrito (EC has played a killer schedule and is a lot better than their 6-7 record appears. Jesuit has a nice record, but lost its only two games against top-tier opponents)

Hmm... I've picked almost all Sac-area and Valley winners. No, I'm not from any of those places, Bay Area born and raised.

Interesting note: Two of the teams, Folsom and Granite Bay, will have just played each other the night before.

Interesting (at least, it is to me) note #2: I've managed to see eight of these twelve teams already this season. :)

Nice job kiddman32. I will try and make it out to the later games. You still sitting near scorers table?

I think St Francis size could give Folsom some issues but I don't think they have enough to slow down guards for Folsom. Jesuit will be a good game for EC. I agree they are tested but it's a home game in front of that raucous student body and that is worth something.

Always a good event.

Yup, scorer's table side, six or seven rows up and as near to halfcourt as I can get at that height. At most gyms, I like the angle when my eye level is about the same as the rim. This is a major reason why I dislke Sleep Train... To be rim-high at that dump, you have to be about 50-75 feet from the court, which leaves a horrible viewing angle.

I forgot how good Jesuit's student-body crowd is... That could be a factor, especially if EC gets distracted by their version of the "Curtain Of Distraction" :)

Kiddman32- right on. I will look for you. I would like to see at least the last 2-3 games. Really looking forward to that Folsom game. Will be interesting to see how the kids respond on back to back.

I enter the gym, just in time to see a Foothill kid get hurt on a heavy-contact drive to the hoop... Of course, there was no whistle on the play...

Injured guy is Foothill's leading scorer, Vernon Robertson. Predictably, PG has broken open a close game since, and leads 29-17 at the half.

Doesn't look like Robertson will return, either. His ankle is iced up.

Last edited:
kiddman32- I should be there around 6pm for the last 2 games. Are you sitting behind scorers? If so I will come find you and introduce. Thanks for the updates.

Foothill managed to hang farly close thru the third Q, but the 4th is all PG.

58-33 final. This next one should be better.

Interesting... All Clovis North players are listed at Guard in the program. I wonder if that's in error, or if they really don't have positions assigned... I do know they press, run and trap...

Just an aside... I reallllly do hope I am not as ugly as my profile pic... :)

I heard a lot of good things about Warren from St Mary's. Let us know what you think.

64-41 final...

In answer to LL's query on Warren, he's a bit light-framed, but has solid handles, a smooth, quick shot release... Hard to really get an opinion from this game, though, because he didn't really need to play all-out that much in this blowout.

SM has a sophomore PG I was impressed with... Quick, stocky strong-bodied guy listed generously at 6 feet even. Good feet, can go either direction with either hand, and makes a lot of good decisions.

I'm gonna hafta get to some more SM games this season.

Also, Clovis North had a guy not dressed... I *think* he's one of their top players, so maybe they are better than what they showed today.

Oh, good... SM is playing in Piedmont's showcase, an event already on my calendar.

That's next Saturday, the 16th.

Looks like Capital has three guys in street clothestwo of which I vaguely recognize as major pieces.

Just noticed a fourth familiar face in street clothes on the Capital bench. No wonder they look so ragged on the court...

60-52 now, 1:42 left. Capital has been achingly close to getting back in this one, but juuuuuust not quite.

Well, for this next game... Granite Bay got thumped badly by Folsom last night, so maybe my above pick for this game should be reversed.

But I'll stick to it and absorb another loss.

So far, I can see nobody in street clothes for MV... Granite Bay not on the floor yet.

Anybody know if witt from st.francis played last night vs serra? I know he was out vs riordan. He impressed me with his defensive intensity guarding jeremy hemsley when they beat damian last year at the father berry tournament. They'll need him if they want to slow down folsom's guards. And thanks for the updates kiddman. I was going to attend, but cant pass up kings vs warriors tonight.

Granite Bay has brought their best game tonight... They lead 33-21 at the half.

Their 6'8" junior big man Darren Nelson is having himself a night... Lots of blocked shots and rebounds, 10 points. He's not real fast and could trim a few pounds, but he is pretty devastating in the paint. Has sure hands and balance, knows what to do and when to do it.

5 minutes to go, Granite up 49-45 despite having had to sit the big man with 3 fouls until a couple minutes ago

MV gets the turnover, then loses it back... Fadal gets a T, 25 secs to go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT