ADVERTISEMENT

Frankie Ferrari

I heard he plans on transferring to Santa Clara for next season and then transferring back to USF for his junior year.

LMAO! Well done iamgearyblvd! Happy Holidays!
Originally posted by iamgearyblvd:
I heard he plans on transferring to Santa Clara for next season and then transferring back to USF for his junior year.

USF is not good. The best D2 schools in the CCAA compete with them.
Ferrari plays sparingly but he's only a Frosh. Is anybody surprised? Get a $40k education paid at a good school and study hard. Not a bad deal. Ferrari actually plays more than Jiday Ugbaja who is at Sac State. Both were guards on that Riordan team as jr's.

Devin Watson, another true freshman point guard is starting at the point and over him. He has looked ok. A few games I went to, he went to high school highlight pass and was stolen by college athletes and got yanked right there probably 3 times when I was there.

Originally posted by larry legend33:
USF is not good. The best D2 schools in the CCAA compete with them.
Ferrari plays sparingly but he's only a Frosh. Is anybody surprised? Get a $40k education paid at a good school and study hard. Not a bad deal. Ferrari actually plays more than Jiday Ugbaja who is at Sac State. Both were guards on that Riordan team as jr's.
I think you are underselling USF. They have had way too much player turnover than you want, but Rex Walters is doing a good job there. After the top 3 in the WCC, I think it is a year-to-year thing for next best team in the conference. This year, it looks like Pepperdine takes that spot

Streak-

Depends what you consider as good. USF is what it is. Lower tier D1 school. Great school from an education standpoint. An awesome history. Many of my family has degrees from their. If I was offered a ride to USF (which I wasn't) coming out of HS I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat. Good for Frankie. Is he a D1 player? Sure. Scrappy little guy who can shoot it. Would he do better at Chico, Pomona, UCSD, Humbodlt ?- yes.

Rex walters has had more then enough time to turn that program around.I understand that they have huge hurdles as a lot of players can't academically get into U S F.THe number of players who have transferred out of the program is quite alarming.Other then frankie they have not done a good job of landing some quality local talent. (Chris Hanson) I DO believe rex is a good x and o coach they run good stuff but there players appear to at times be very disconnected
from him.Last but not least they play in a dump of a gym they are in dire need of an upgrade
in facilities. After having a decent year last year they have gone backwards this year.Larry I agree with you in terms of playing basketball frankie would do quite well in that D2 ccaa conference which by the way is a very good solid conference.

I think all of the Bay Area D1s are in a tough spot. It is hard to keep all of the top players home and there is a small pool of guys who can start at that level. So when you spread it out, you get what we are seeing right now. St. Mary's has been able to move above it with their international recruiting.

It is a different topic on whether Frankie can impact at USF. I think that answer is no. Can he be a rotational player at some point? Yes. Would he be a muli-year start in the CCAA? I think he would. Depends on what you want your college career to be and how each school fits you academically and socially.

@streak one you make some very valid points but let me ask you this why is is that USF and santa clara has not found a way to get any of the local talent these past years to name a few
Taylor Johns, Josh fox, Trevor Dunbar, Henry carouso, to name few not 5 star guys but quality
kids who could impact these local colleges which would help the local interest in these programs as well as build up the relationships with some of the local high schools.

Bones40, great question....Maybe in the end, it has something to do with money, lots of kids are leaving the bay area period due to cheaper tuition and rent. It is sad to say, most of the kids growing up probably will never be able to buy a home here in the Bay Area without parental help. I totally agree with the Dunbar, Carouso, Johns, etc and wondered why they were not offered locally. I often wondered why Santa Clara, St. Mary's, USF, etc never made offers to them to take advantage. Ali Thomas and Lyran Russell should have a few answers and opinions on these questions.

That's a good list of players that should have been recruited better locally. Why didn't they? I'm not sure. I always thought USF should have made a run at Dunbar over Ferrari. Maybe some of those other guys would have looked longer if these schools started recruiting earlier or better. You at least want to be there at the end and at that point, you win some and you lose some.

You can't prevent it entirely, but you hate to see a local kid playing against you in league.

I would love to see Rabb go to Cal. Hopefully that would start a trend of local kids staying in the area. USF has had some and still has some local guys. Tollefson from San Ramon Valley is on the team and is probably their best all around player. They recently had Angelo Colario, Dior Lowhorn, Darrel Tucker, Lyran Russell, Ali Thomas, Johnny Duggan and Gerald Walker. Cal has had their share of local talent going back to Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray just to name a few (those were some fun Cal teams to watch). I don't know if coaches are missing the boat on some of these local guys, but it would be a shame if they were. Delon Wright (although he didn't grow up in the Bay Area) played a couple of years at City College of SF and wound up in Utah... some say he's the best PG in the country. How did Bay Area colleges miss out on him?

Streak one you bring up a good point that the local college's need to get on these local kids sooner then later. I have seen the two sophomores in the DFAL fadal from doughtery valley and falls from dublin if I was the local schools I would be all over those two kids as they are both very nice young players. I also think the gaurd at granada kamaron johnson could help a san jose st out immediately.

Wasn't there a MC kid that lit it up for SJ State a few years back..oliver I think.

Yea, adrian oliver. graduated in 06 from mc. Went to Washington for his frosh year then transferred to sjsu.

Personally I was shocked that Walters survived the fight that he allowed or encouraged among two guys on his team. Having said that I also think this is KARMA for the Dons admin who let the program wallow with coaches like Phil Matthews. Jesse Evans and Eddie Sutton.

The Dons survived the Quintin Dailey years/post years and were reinstated in 1985 and Brovelli did a nice job but when Evans requested a leave of absence / was shoved out and AD Debra Gore-Mann hired Eddie Sutton as a sham - a NEW low was felt on the Hilltop. Remember that Gore-Mann said she hired a Head Hunter Coach Finding Search team to find the best coach - and she came up with Sutton Senior who needed two wins for number 800.

That "low" is being approached again.

The low will happen again tnite against the zags. Zags by 30.
USF is basically a D2 basketball program that gives out 50k dollar scholarships. Not a bad deal if you can get one.

Final Zags 81 - Don's 70. Game tied 38 at 1/2 and USF within a couple down to the wire before USF player commits a flagrant foul & gets a "T". Gonzaga makes the free throws and holds on for win.

Curious so checked out Frankie's stats to date:

So far played in 15 games averaging 9 minutes game.

8/27 overall, 1 of 13 on 3's, 4/5 FT's and 21-points total

Shooting % on 3's = .077 and overall = .296

Usf has the frosh kid running the pg right now. So unless someone better comes in, looks like he will log big minutes for the next 4 years.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT