ADVERTISEMENT

Fullerton's HC Vanderhook throws Gavin Under the Bus

BKWRDKUROUT

Sports Fanatic
Apr 28, 2007
Fullerton starter John Gavin (7-3) took the loss. The freshman left-hander out of St. Francis-Mountain View gave up two earned runs on five hits while walking one and striking out two in 2 1-3 innings.

“I thought John Gavin got caught way up in it,” Vanderhook said. “He just couldn’t do much early, then they took advantage of a lot of things.

“I think his tail’s probably between his legs, let’s be honest, he didn’t get out of the third inning. He was tired, he was racing, he had no command, those aren’t the things that mix very well.”

Eh - not exactly throwing him under the bus. But still, I really don't think college athletes should be criticized publicly much...or in the press for performance. A freshman pitcher on the big stage? He's still just a baby in the baseball world.

Vanderhook is taking his share of criticism today about throwing Eshelman last night in their win over Louisville.

Fullerton starter John Gavin (7-3) took the loss. The freshman left-hander out of St. Francis-Mountain View gave up two earned runs on five hits while walking one and striking out two in 2 1-3 innings.

“I thought John Gavin got caught way up in it,” Vanderhook said. “He just couldn’t do much early, then they took advantage of a lot of things.

“I think his tail’s probably between his legs, let’s be honest, he didn’t get out of the third inning. He was tired, he was racing, he had no command, those aren’t the things that mix very well.”
He was being honest and not politically correct. I've known him him for 20 years and we need more guys like him.

Hook is Hook. My dad taught him at Lakewood High School in the 70's. He played for legendary coach John Herbold. Played for George Horton at Cerritos College. Coached under Augie Garrido and with Wally Kincaid. These coaches are legends and Hook is good. But he is who he is. Players know what they are getting. He will get in your face. Always has always will. BUT...you know the deal when you go there. He is who he is. i agree with Rob. We need more not less of Rick Vanderhook. He helps guys grow up

Certain players can take the heat; I'm banking this kid can. I am sure the coach knows how to push different buttons on different kids. I'd rather have my son coached this way, if it works. You cant have mom there all the time to lick wounds.

I am sure a trip to Omaha in June has eased the pain.

Hook is Hook. My dad taught him at Lakewood High School in the 70's. He played for legendary coach John Herbold. Played for George Horton at Cerritos College. Coached under Augie Garrido and with Wally Kincaid. These coaches are legends and Hook is good. But he is who he is. Players know what they are getting. He will get in your face. Always has always will. BUT...you know the deal when you go there. He is who he is. i agree with Rob. We need more not less of Rick Vanderhook. He helps guys grow up
Coach- I didn't know the background with your dad, that's outstanding! I believe Lakewood high school has produced more major leaguers than any high school in the country.

I'd have to agree with Rob - Coach H - City Vibes and Atcshrk now that I've read your comments to my post. Originally it took me back to read his blunt comments but thank you for educating me about Hook.

Question for "Tired" - is Lakewood HS also the home base for Coach Spud O'neil? They represented themselves tremendously for several years in Yountville where they played the game the right way and beat everyone up pretty bad. To this day Spud's Team got "on and off the field" quicker than any team I had ever seen. They once had the bases juiced with two outs and a 3-2 count on the hitter who hit a slow roller and got thrown out and about 6 seconds later every position player and pitcher and catcher were already at their positions...

Reactions: CityVibesII
I'd have to agree with Rob - Coach H - City Vibes and Atcshrk now that I've read your comments to my post. Originally it took me back to read his blunt comments but thank you for educating me about Hook.

Question for "Tired" - is Lakewood HS also the home base for Coach Spud O'neil? They represented themselves tremendously for several years in Yountville where they played the game the right way and beat everyone up pretty bad. To this day Spud's Team got "on and off the field" quicker than any team I had ever seen. They once had the bases juiced with two outs and a 3-2 count on the hitter who hit a slow roller and got thrown out and about 6 seconds later every position player and pitcher and catcher were already at their positions...

Spud O'Neill is indeed the coach! Has been for 30 years. Prior to Spud it was John Herbold. Lakewood has been blessed for close to 60 years. Still old school Summer Legion Ball as a team. Still school first. They are still a breath of fresh air in a world that has become increasingly selfish in the pursuit of partial scholarships that really don't exist for most of the families paying for the opportunity to get one. Don't get me started. Need to blow it up and start over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT