ADVERTISEMENT

GIRLS BASKETBALL TOP 20

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
How does the rankings work? I'm confused....

How does Antelope (#9) keep moving up?

They don't play anybody and keep getting rewarded for scheduling/winning vs. not very good competition?
They even went so far to avoid having to play anybody as to opt out of the 2 toughest bracket in the WCJ...

While the rest of the top 20 go to battle vs. each other, and if you lose, the loser gets dinged for it?

I guess in the eyes of NCP its better to run up a gaudy record vs. below average teams than battle and challenge your kids vs. the best in Norcal.

There isn't a team in the top 20 that wouldn't be 6-0 with that Antelope schedule...check it out

their next game in the WCJ is vs (1-6)Oakland tech...lol

Nice schedule

Computer rankings or writer rankings?

I saw Antelope last year and they were solid. Would be nice to see them in platinum instead of BC. They (Repect) are/is just going to degrade another fine tournament with their ill will and malicious words.

Enough is enough.

Computer rankings or writer rankings?

I saw Antelope last year and they were solid. Would be nice to see them in platinum instead of BC. They (Repect) are/is just going to degrade another fine tournament with their ill will and malicious words.

Enough is enough.

Jaymel911
What happy hour did you go to ? Rankings " platinum" Respect" he must really have you going....... Don't take it personal LMBO

Last edited:
Maybe Mitty wont lose to ESCP at the end of section so they will be in the open. So people was wounding about that game since in underneath you skin Jaymel911 lol. See you in the open and Brookside wont have 26 tournover in the game and lose by 10. The Brookside and Mitty is they want to be in the open where but Bradshaw Christian last year in the section game shoot 76 percent from 3'S hard to a team shooting like that. But i know if we play ESCP we would have won because Brookside wanted to be in the open. They have a coach that only want to play best win or lose. Before Brookside was vote back into the league by Excel coaches that arent there any more Brookside had a tough scheduled for the whole year. But you did know they was going to play Mitty at Mitty but someone like wont know that. But as long as you want to talk Brookside take on all team because they have a coach that wants to play the best. He not about want to go to they division playoff but go to the Open where the best of the best play. How YOU like that NOT ROOKIE OF THE YEAR JAYMAL911 lol lol lol lol. You need to call 911 to stop all the fact you dont know about lol lol lol lol.

You can play a tough schedule but you have to win those games to be rewarded. If teams that schedule tough get a few quality wins, then they will move back ahead of teams that don't play top competition.

For example, a team like Antelope could keep winning and drop depending on what others do.

The only games at the end of day that truly matter are won at the end of February through March. For example, last year would you rather be Modesto Christian section champ or McClatchy state champ? Anyone who says they would rather have had Modesto’s season vs. McClatchy is full of S---

Streak one i know how it works and its good.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP THE ROOKIE JAYMEL911 WITH HIS POSTING SO HE DOES NT USE SO MUCH SPACE WITH 2 BACK TO BACK POST BECAUSE HE SO frustrated hit tthe post button to quick. lol lol lol lol teach him about edit button !!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol

This is my opinion everyone that was in the Open last year might won the section for state. Being in the open is a honor that some players and coaches strive for which shows the competiveness natural. I rather have a team that played in Open Division then in regular division. This like saying a player rather go to a D2 college then to a D1 college. Why would a player want to go to D2 rather then face better competition. Thats just my opinion and my competitive nature. Always want more and go after it.

Dam I just did a rookie more like jaymel911 lol lol or did do on purposely lol lol lol !!!!!

This is my opinion everyone that was in the Open last year might won the section for state. Being in the open is a honor that some players and coaches strive for which shows the competiveness natural. I rather have a team that played in Open Division then in regular division. This like saying a player rather go to a D2 college then to a D1 college. Why would a player want to go to D2 rather then face better competition. Thats just my opinion and my competitive nature. Always want more and go after it.

Dam I just did a rookie more like jaymel911 lol lol or did do on purposely lol lol lol !!!!!

respect.....in regards to the 2nd part of your post. "Why would a player want to go to D2....."

off the top of my head, I think there are approximately 350 D1 programs in the country....D1 is not necessarily better.

If I had the option of going to an average/below average D1 program and sit on the bench for 4yrs and never making the NCAA tourney OR going to a top D2 program, start every game, win the league, and play in the postseason tourney with a chance to win a national championship and have a chance of being a D2 all American...I would take the D2 option.

I am a BIG believer its all about the journey and the experience.

I think too many people get caught up in the 'I got to be a D1 player' mentality. How about go somewhere where you have a GREAT college experience. Sitting on the bench would not be fun to me.

For Example.....if you were a 2-3star recruit....Where would you rather go and play? Fresno state and live in the gang capital of California, in too hot of weather, and quite possibly never play, on a team that is not very good....OR would you rather play at UC San Diego, live and play in La Jolla/san diego/del mar, start every game of your college career, make it to the postseason every year and graduate with 1 of the best degrees in the country? I'll take door #2...lol

Here's heresy. How about a good player going D3? There actually is more to college than playing sports, and they're a time consuming activity, especially in D1. I know of a Norcal kid who could have gone D1, went D3, great college experience, highly successful in business, my daughter kind of rode her coattails, same result. more important for girls, who don't have $$$$ at the end of the basketball rainbow. D3 doesn't train year around, more relaxed, more likely to be fun.

I acknowledge that some kids can only afford to attend college with an athletic scholarship. We hold them up as poster girls, but I'm not sure they're typical. Also, some small schools are well-endowed, and offer generous financial aid. Granted, she had academic cred, but my daughter paid less to go to a small school than she would at UCB. We got financial aid offers from both. If a kid has smarts and non-athletic ambitions, she can probably pay off loans quickly. And play basketball. If the woman's team doesn't challenge her, she can go to the gym and play pickup w the guys. On her own schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: northbaybbguru
Northbay that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about if a play can go D1 and compete for a starting position why go D2 where they know the will stsrt right away. Some people like things give to them on a silver platter and some like to work for the position by beat the of player out. I was just using college D1 vs D2 for an example. It all about how much a team or players want to go to the Open Division to play the best and not take the silver spoon way. A player that's has that competitive passion will take that harder route.

Lets talk about D3 yes them have more free time because the game is not took seriously like in D1. It takes hard work day in day out to be competitive in a high level of play. Just thing your off season in D1 college consist of workout with weights, individual in gym, work with team, and they summer league. If a player is not used of work that and what it the much they need to go D3 or NIA but some of them even work hard so their kids can transfer to a D1.

The biggest think is sport is not how much pay for, its about hard a player is will to work at their craft. Same with coaching once a coach know it all they need to quit coaching where a play us good to D2 and lower.

Last edited:
Here's heresy. How about a good player going D3? There actually is more to college than playing sports, and they're a time consuming activity, especially in D1. I know of a Norcal kid who could have gone D1, went D3, great college experience, highly successful in business, my daughter kind of rode her coattails, same result. more important for girls, who don't have $$$$ at the end of the basketball rainbow. D3 doesn't train year around, more relaxed, more likely to be fun.

I concur MK....

I think quite often its more for the ego boost for the parents...."my kid is a D1 basketball player"

If I was a parent I would NEVER gloss over the D2 or D3 option if it was a better fit for my kid. Even if my kid was a d1 athlete.

Northbay that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about if a play can go D1 and compete for a starting position why go D2 where they know the will stsrt right away. Some people like things give to them on a silver platter and some like to work for the position by beat the of player out. I was just using college D1 vs D2 for an example. It all about how much a team or players want to go to the Open Division to play the best and not take the silver spoon way. A player that's has that competitive passion will take that harder route.

respect, I got ya..... :)

I just was making the point D1 not necessarily always better. And I understand your point of wanting to be challenged and I definitely agree with that also.

Respect - at least on my first account!

How many kids do you know start d3 and then transfer to D1? That does not happen and if it does it is rare. What is NIA? Did you mean NAIA? Do you even know what that means?

Northbay - great post on D1 or d2?

Last edited:
I know a few that went NAIA for football to Big D1 schools. Some players just didnt take the right classes to go D1 and dont want to play JC instead go NAIA. They was heavy recruited out of high and went to NAIA close to schools that was recruiting them. They spend one year there and move on to D1 thats the loop whole if u didn't know. After transferring use their red shirt year so they get 4 years school at the D1 level. Easier to transfer from NAIA or D3 then a JC. Some people know the loop wholes colleges ise to get kids that dont cut D1 qualification. Not everyone have a silver spoon or a caoch tell them what classes suppose take to follow their dreams.

I recommend attending a high school that has a guidance counsler so that you don't have to use that "loop whole" you speak of!

For me, and this is just me, I'd rather play than sit. For others, they'd rather challenge themselves and maybe not play, but know they went as far as they could go.

I think the same is true of coaches and teams. As a coach, I want my players to look back and feel they had a good experience. For some, that would be winning a lot of games, going into postseason, doing reasonably well and not feeling like anything less than a state title was a mark of failure. For others, it would be playing the best possible opponents at all times, even if there were a lot of bad losses, and committing to challenging yourself as much as you could.

I don't think there's a blanket right or wrong answer, and I would guess that of the 12 girls on an average team, there are groups that fall on either end of the spectrum.

I also think you have to be realistic. If you don't have the talent to play the best, why get beat by 40 every time out? I've seen some young coaches do that, and they wind up with seven or eight wins, unhappy parents and unhappy players.

CLAY like I was saying before it about the player or coaching them and what that coach instilled into the them mind if they are lose ir winning. Some like challenges and some don't and most competitive players what to play their equal or better.

For me, and this is just me, I'd rather play than sit. For others, they'd rather challenge themselves and maybe not play, but know they went as far as they could go.

I think the same is true of coaches and teams. As a coach, I want my players to look back and feel they had a good experience. For some, that would be winning a lot of games, going into postseason, doing reasonably well and not feeling like anything less than a state title was a mark of failure. For others, it would be playing the best possible opponents at all times, even if there were a lot of bad losses, and committing to challenging yourself as much as you could.

I don't think there's a blanket right or wrong answer, and I would guess that of the 12 girls on an average team, there are groups that fall on either end of the spectrum.

I also think you have to be realistic. If you don't have the talent to play the best, why get beat by 40 every time out? I've seen some young coaches do that, and they wind up with seven or eight wins, unhappy parents and unhappy players.

I agree with you Clay. Not many players walk off the court feeling good about themselves after a 40 point loss. I do try to remind coaches and players that every player from Kobe and Jordan to Curry, Durant, and Lebron have loss games by 40 or 50 points at one point in their careers. I say that just to try an put things in the right perspective.

It is all about building up young children's self esteem and confidence. And different players respond to different things. So a couple of years back when Kelly Sopak appeared to schedule his team an easier schedule I think part of the benefit in that was building up the team's confidence. Confident girls play better and buy into what a coach is selling far better than girls who doubt themselves.

That was a recipe that worked for the 49ers when they first started winning championships. The 49ers were in perhaps the easiest division in the NFL and would spank everyone in their division and only have to get up for a game every 4 or 5 games. That helped them gain incredible timing, rhythm, chemistry, and confidence from quarterback to all his offensive weapons. So when they played a good team every 4 or 5 games they were healthy and hitting on every cylinder and that good team in a tougher division was beat up from prior wars and not as sharp rhythm wise. So you really must consider the best approach to take based on the talent and maturity of the players you have, and what your players respond to. You ultimately want your team to be playing it's best ball during the post season.You don't want to peak too soon and then fall off late.

RespectBBGame,

It's hard to speak in general terms about what most players (especially girls ) like. Girls are not even close to boys when it comes to how most girls let things effect them in my opinion. Girls relate to the game far differently than boys do. An example will be pick up basketball. Most girls don't play pick up and when they do they are not as quick to get in sink with players they just met. Most girls are forming an opinion on how the other girl looks and how she is dressed or whether they like each other. Guys quickly introduce themselves such as... hey Ed, Ed I'm Ken, I got this player you take that guy and are relating as if they have known one another for years. Generally speaking girls don't relate to the game like that. Of course their are a few exceptions and some girls play with boys and kind of get it with less issues. Those are the girls who usually excel and make it to the next level after playing 4 years at St. Mary's of Stockton or competitively against them.

Last edited:
Paytc maybe you are not understanding what im real talking about. It going to hurt at first losing by 40 but that a good thing for some teams at a coaching perspective. Some teams have players think they just going to walk on the court and win without grinding in practice. A wake up call is always need to get better because if team wants to be their best need to practice best and go hard all the time. Being apart of a great program ask that from all their players give 110 percent all the time. Part times need to find a part program. Thats what i was talking about it was a good lost to MM.

Paytc what makes you think MM doesnt have an easy schedule this what big touranments are the playing that they have hard games back to back. Tournament that they going to now they on have a decent game in the final. DONT LET SMOOTH TASTE FOOL YOU!!!!!

Paytc maybe you are not understanding what im real talking about. It going to hurt at first losing by 40 but that a good thing for some teams at a coaching perspective. Some teams have players think they just going to walk on the court and win without grinding in practice. A wake up call is always need to get better because if team wants to be their best need to practice best and go hard all the time. Being apart of a great program ask that from all their players give 110 percent all the time. Part times need to find a part program. Thats what i was talking about it was a good lost to MM.

Paytc what makes you think MM doesnt have an easy schedule this what big touranments are the playing that they have hard games back to back. Tournament that they going to now they on have a decent game in the final. DONT LET SMOOTH TASTE FOOL YOU!!!!!

Not much about basketball fools me. While someone with a large ego (and most likely low self esteem) purposely tried to get the world to believe basketball and winning is complex, I don't see it that way. I think it is the approach that is debatable. Some teams respond better to tougher challenges and grow from the tougher challenges. Others grow better and get more confidence beating up easier teams. Now even though it is a false sense of confidence, that confidence still can take a team a long way if a better team doesn't knock them into reality. It's up to the coach to determine the best route to guide the group of players they have.

Paytc yes it is but some people need reality check. The question sometimes is can a coach help is team get through rough spots of losing and use it as a learning skill in life. This teaches the players how to pick themselves up after a disappointment in life let downs or hard times. This teaches them to be strong to over obstacles.

Paytc yes it is but some people need reality check. The question sometimes is can a coach help is team get through rough spots of losing and use it as a learning skill in life. This teaches the players how to pick themselves up after a disappointment in life let downs or hard times. This teaches them to be strong to over obstacles.

Good points !

I would agree with respect on this one. I think he is coming at it from experience, last year they had a light schedule and it cost them big time In The key match ups down the stretch as they lost to both Bradshaw and in the state final. Both games were too big and they could not get it together.

This year, they are going to be battle tested and should win D4 in section and state. Props to them for seeing the errors of their way and trying to fix it

I would agree with respect on this one. I think he is coming at it from experience, last year they had a light schedule and it cost them big time In The key match ups down the stretch as they lost to both Bradshaw and in the state final. Both games were too big and they could not get it together.

This year, they are going to be battle tested and should win D4 in section and state. Props to them for seeing the errors of their way and trying to fix it

WHAT????

sorry jaymel911 I don't follow you're logic on this one...lol

THEY MADE IT TO THE D4 STATE FINAL...how did their schedule cost them again last year?

BC lost to SIERRA CANYON in the state final...Max Preps top 20 team in the country. Their is absolutely NO SHAME in losing that game to that team!!!

No amount of schedule changing was going to change the outcome of that game. SC was legit and the better team.

If anything PICO did a great coaching job to get them there...as the roster didn't have a whole hell of alot after the BIG 3.

I thought their schedule did not prepare them for the big games down the stretch. They were a possession from losing to a talented but young CN team.

Alot people talking about the big 3 from this year from Brookside. This year Brookside has McDonald and 3 more prospects on the court that get letters every other day from D1 colleges that visit every other week. That means to that coaches Pico and other AAU coaches are doing there job. Pico is one of them coaches that will prepare players for the next. Each one of his players know how to play man to man defense which alot colleges like to see.

I think Brookside can win D4 SJS, D4 Norcal and D4 State. But they are up for the big challenges like the open they would got all the kinks out by then after January 5. But people will just have to see when they play Pinewood and BOD in January. But if they dont feel sorry for D4 because their going to be battle tested and ready.

I do think you have to understand your team and its goals. For Brookside Christian, with an elite point guard and lots of talent, it's clear to the players and parents that the early season losses won't interfere with a strong finish.

But if I took my Bentley team and scheduled only the top D5 teams, we'd get crushed every time out, and it would be bad all around. No one would have fun, our confidence would be shot, and I don't think it would make us any better. My team's wake up call would be winning a couple close games against the kind of competition we might face in the first round of NCS, if we got there, because that would make the girls realize they could win those kinds of games. Losing by 40 every time would just teach them that they weren't very good.

There's an old saying with some validity: If you tell a guy he's not any good, he'll do anything he can to prove you wrong. If you tell a girl she's not any good, she'll believe you.

Now Aarion McDonald knows she's good, and a running-clock loss won't dent her confidence. But if my inexperienced point guard at Bentley, who only plays basketball during the season, and didn't start playing at all until she was a sophomore in high school, gets overwhelmed by superior talent, I don't see how that will help.

I do think you have to understand your team and its goals. For Brookside Christian, with an elite point guard and lots of talent, it's clear to the players and parents that the early season losses won't interfere with a strong finish.

But if I took my Bentley team and scheduled only the top D5 teams, we'd get crushed every time out, and it would be bad all around. No one would have fun, our confidence would be shot, and I don't think it would make us any better. My team's wake up call would be winning a couple close games against the kind of competition we might face in the first round of NCS, if we got there, because that would make the girls realize they could win those kinds of games. Losing by 40 every time would just teach them that they weren't very good.

There's an old saying with some validity: If you tell a guy he's not any good, he'll do anything he can to prove you wrong. If you tell a girl she's not any good, she'll believe you.

Now Aarion McDonald knows she's good, and a running-clock loss won't dent her confidence. But if my inexperienced point guard at Bentley, who only plays basketball during the season, and didn't start playing at all until she was a sophomore in high school, gets overwhelmed by superior talent, I don't see how that will help.

Clay,

I really like that comment. The most important part is that there many times is a difference in the way boys and girls gain and lose confidence. I know we live in a world where a person can now be politically correct changing from one gender to another. But I still think generally speaking there is often times a difference in the two genders and how they relate on an emotional level. There may be one or two exceptions, but a girl's team is a girl's team, not a boy's team. There will most likely always be a difference in the two in my opinion.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks losing by 40 is some kind of uplifting experience is crazy. I do believe a team that has larg ego goes into a game and underestimates there opponent and gets beat by 30 is a wake up call that could be motivating. Antelope last year, who did not underestimate Mitty they were just way better played them in the NorCal. got there ass served to them. That was a motivator that showed the girls they had a ways to go but you're talking about a team who's eight man rotation was 2 freshman 4 Sophomores 1 Junior 1 senior. It just seems like this board is inundated with people constantly making excuses for the teams they cheer for instead of just excepting that things need to be adjusted and maybe their team is just not as good as they think they are.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks losing by 40 is some kind of uplifting experience is crazy. I do believe a team that has larg ego goes into a game and underestimates there opponent and gets beat by 30 is a wake up call that could be motivating. Antelope last year, who did not underestimate Mitty they were just way better played them in the NorCal. got there ass served to them. That was a motivator that showed the girls they had a ways to go but you're talking about a team who's eight man rotation was 2 freshman 4 Sophomores 1 Junior 1 senior. It just seems like this board is inundated with people constantly making excuses for the teams they cheer for instead of just excepting that things need to be adjusted and maybe their team is just not as good as they think they are.

Azanna,

That is the problem with what I call "negative competition. " Competition is healthier when the approach of individual and team improvement is valued as much as, or more than, winning. When you see competition as a challenge to get better, not an opponent you must beat. Because if you let winning and losing,(championships),and the score board, define how good you are, you are setting yourself up for an eventual disappointment. There has never been and will never be anyone who wins every time. And your ultimate goal should be continued improvement, and working hard as an individual. If you take care of that, you can define your own level of victory, and learn how to "Win Anyway."

Because you can be the best player on the team and never make it off the bench if you have a weak, egotistical, bonehead coach. Or your coach might get out coached in just about every game making winning a game tougher than it should be. Players just need to handle the part of the game they can handle. They are not the coach. The coach decides who plays, what games are played, and the path the team will take. And they all have their reasons for the decisions they make. Some get it and are better than others. While some coaches may never get it. But if kids learn to define their own victories, keep a good attitude, and make their minutes count, they can win anyway in my book.

And we all know the best team doesn't always win for multiple reasons. No one always wins. And you can be a better player on a weaker team. Measuring your worth next to someone else's is a form of low self esteem and hate in my opinion. I don't want the whole world to lose just so I could feel like a winner. I feel like a winner because I defined myself a winner after becoming my most important critic and demanding the best from myself. I encourage those I coach to do the same.

Last edited:

Azanna

You say losing by forty is the end of the season for Brookside ? If it was the last game of the season yes because the season would be over but theirs 17 games left not counting playoffs. If that's what your teaching the kids your delusional !!! I guess that explains why Antelope plays such a soft cupcake schedule ? They have cupcake parents keep the parents happy going 25-1 but don't win the big games against Quality teams !?! CUPCAKE

I think its learning experience losing by 40. A team has hit a wall and review film to what went wrong that game a what could they do better next time. Most of that game was close until the middle of the 3rd quarter. Brookside didnt take care of the ball and didn't run their offense during that time. They just made to many bad possessions and too many missed free throws 2 for 12 with the first 6 of 12 was 1 and 1. This lost was a good one. Brookside rather play just as good or better then them. What the since of playing teams that they know are going to be blowouts. All that does is pat their stats that will happen in league. All I know they are battle test already for playoffs. And yes come January they will be a whole team with less mistakes. They will have no shock and ah in the playoffs.

luvthegame21

I don't remember saying one negative thing about Brookside maybe you're just Brookside sensitive. My opinion was an in general opinion. Since you felt the need to bring up Antelope, Brookside played Antelope last year and you crawled out of the gym or did you forget that. Brookside's team this year is not near as good as last year and trust me when I tell you. You're No Mitty and you don't want to see antelope.

And since we are attacking, once McDonald graduates Brookside is done, that's something no one wants to say on this board so be happy you're in Div 4.

Last edited:
A
luvthegame21

I don't remember saying one negative thing about Brookside maybe you're just Brookside sensitive. My opinion was an in general opinion. Since you felt the need to bring up Antelope, Brookside played Antelope last year and you crawled out of the gym or did you forget that. Brookside's team this year is not near as good as last year and trust me when I tell you. You're No Mitty and you don't want to see antelope.

And since we are attacking, once McDonald graduates Brookside is done, that's something no one wants to say on this board so be happy you're in Div 4.

Azanna
Let's keep it real you was directing it to Brookside and that's ok it's a fact that Antelope plays NOBODY & yes Brookside beat Antelope last year as you say crawled out !!! It still counts as a WIN........ but you speak the truth you don't want to play Brookside until next year??? What kind of cupcake are you blueberry cream I'm 100% positive no one is running from Antelope everybody is Wondering why Antelope is ranked so high and they don't play anybody ? But next year is going to be Antelopes year right what's going to be different about Antelope next year? NOTHING same team lots of 3 point shots no defense !?! No inside game ...... Ad Brookside next to your weak schedule since Brookside will be such a bad team !?! Oops almost forgot you have no team speed !?!

Last edited:
luvthsenstive game

No I wasn't talking about Brookside you're just Brookside sensitive. And no I wasn't talking about playing Brookside next year because next year it will be no contest, I'm talking about this year you don't want to see them. The fact that you say they have no inside presence this year tells me you're just biting on the stuff you read on this board and that you have not seen them play. I know what players Brookside has and after McDonald's you can't run with antelope. You should change your name to sensitive

Brookside has McDonald, who is 10x the player of anyone on Antelope so this year would still be tough for Antelope. I think that's why they asked to NOT be in either of the top brackets of WCJ.

Wintot

How are you doing? Folsom had a tough week, loss two in a row to Inderkum and Pleasant Grove. I believe Antelope beat PG by 40 this year let me double check.​

Azanna -

I'm from Napa. I have watched a fair amount of basketball over the years. I can look at the game a little differently now that my daughter graduated in 2015. You will get there as well in a couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT