ADVERTISEMENT

Grandpa's Pants/CCS/Open Div

Oct 19, 2011
The insistence of the CCS to have an open division reminds me a lot of my Grandfather…..God rest his soul. Grandpa had a pair of old polyester pants that were way out of style. In spite of pleading by my Grandmother, his children and grandchildren Grandpa refused to get with the times and buy a new, more modern pair of pants.

The CCS is like my Grandfather. They refuse to change with the times. Many schools, football coaches and most importantly the players really want to have the opportunity to play for a state title. For the CCS to deny that they feel this way shows how out of touch they are with athletics.

CCS officials have been around for a long time. They have made some very good decisions and seem to almost always have the best interest of student-athletes when they make decisions. Not in this instance. It sounds like the CCS was very close to eliminating the Open last year but the Board of Managers decided against this. What changed? Could the CCS officials have urged them to vote that way? Does the section need an infusion of youth to go along with the older, experienced, polyester- wearing officials?

If the CCS gets completely shutout of the bowl games, which appears to be a very distinct possibility, will that be the impetus to change their format?

I believe CCS voted for the state bowl. The CCS Open Division was actually progressive when it was implemented. Very few sections have their best teams face off. This year the playoffs were actually very competitive. That was the initial impetus rather than have a smaller WCAL in lower divisions blow out every team to a championship. It ruling to start the Open Division can be referred to the Valley Christian rule when they dropped down and will have to look to confirm but the games were 40+ margins and they probably could have scored 80pts a game. Since the state bowl, there are more teams focused on the section playoffs than state. State participants are a very small pool of total playoff teams. I personally believe the Open Division is obsolete (it was a good idea prior to the state bowl),

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT