ADVERTISEMENT

Grant and Folsom are located 19 miles apart

Dec 6, 2014
It's unfortunate that they didn't schedule a regular season game. It's also unfortunate that SJS didn't allow them to match up in the postseason, either via an Open format or by allowing Grant to opt up to Division 1.

However, to select 2 big public schools 19 miles apart to play for the D1 Norcal title is a JOKE. Grant is not a D1 team! They are D2!

There are 591 schools in CIF Norcal across 6 sections. SHP is the undisputed #1 team of the 140 in the CCS.

Pick the best D1 team from the rest of Norcal and let's see them play - that's what CIF competition is supposed to be about. It's not supposed to match up teams 20 minutes down the road from each other based on some BS computer ratings created by a sports media company.

Unless the NorCal authorities change the rules on Sunday, SHP has to be considered for Division I. Makes no sense. But that's the way it is.

Does it really matter what the distance of the two schools are?????

It seems to me that it would be hard to justify placing SHP over Grant just on the basis of # of wins and SOS.

Grant has beat 5 top 100 Ca. teams
SHP has only beat 2 top 100 Ca. teams

Grant has beat 9 top 200 Ca. teams
SHP has only beat 3 top 200 Ca. teams

The average final rank of all opponents for Grant is 190 in state
The average final rank of all opponents for SHP is 320 in state

Grant has won 4 post season games
SHP has only won 3 post season games

Grant record 14-0
SHP record 13-0

Final win loss record of all Grant opponents 97-66
Final win loss record of all SHP opponents 81-68

Grant has beat 3 teams ranked above SHP (Elk Grove, Vacaville, and St. Mary's)

Grant should not be penalized by CCS adding open division in the thoughts that CCS should not be left out.

I believe if anything leaves Grant out it will be their sportsmanship, people have stated it was poor during both the St Mary's game and the Vacaville game.

All selection points aside it is hard to dispute the above facts. If SHP had scheduled better teams one of two things would have happened, A: they would have possibly lost a game or B: they would have the SOS to move on to play.
It will be unfortunate if the decision is made either because of Money (gate draw) or Pity by CIF for the CCS being left out.
I guess we will see soon.

P.S. I doubt SHP could beat either St. Mary's, Elk Grove, or Vacaville based on who all the teams have played. Grant has won 4 rounds of post season that alone has SHP 1 game down.

Bellarmine beat Saint Ignatious who beat St Mary's. Sacred Heart Prep soundly defeated Bellarnine. That is one case that Sacred Heart Prep is better than St Mary's.

Originally posted by Polemic:

I believe if anything leaves Grant out it will be their sportsmanship, people have stated it was poor during both the St Mary's game and the Vacaville game.
This is conjecture.

Come on Really??

A: This is football anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

B: These are High School kids and you never really know who will show up to play on Friday, Billy the stud QB or Billy The heartbroken just got dumped QB

C: The I beat them and they beat you so I would surely beat you never holds up in sports, football or otherwise.

SHP is a great team and has produced a great season But so has Grant.
Both teams deserve to play but there is only 1 spot and it is what it is somebody's getting coal in their stocking.

I say DLS vs Folsom & SHP vs Grant but that won't happen

That should be the case if CIF didn't eliminate the Open play-in.

I think what may happed is - Grant gets D1 over SHP , Enterprise in D2 over Oakdale - Aptos gets in D3 over Sutter...

CCS will get a team in and NS will get their one team in It's posted here. I don't see NS getting two teams in and SJS will give up a team.

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

That should be the case if CIF didn't eliminate the Open play-in.

I think what may happed is - Grant gets D1 over SHP , Enterprise in D2 over Oakdale - Aptos gets in D3 over Sutter...

CCS will get a team in and NS will get their one team in It's posted here. I don't see NS getting two teams in and SJS will give up a team.
My thoughts exactly. Although I think there is a good chance the NS gets left out altogether.

I just left the Aptos Game. SI must have played Starys JV team because the team I saw play tonight was just what their record says they are. A 6 loss team. No speed no imagination on offense. A dad was telling me that the SI coach all week planned on running the ball down Aptos throat what a crazy game plan with that stud he has at QB. You can not compare CCS teams this year to anyone. They are down there is SHP and then everyone else.

SHP and Los Gatos had a great game. I wasn't there but Los Gatos also traveled to St Mary's earlier this season and lost by a fg after fumbling in scoring territory. I also heard LG got flagged way more times than SM and again only lost by 3 because of a bad center/qb exchange...

I don't know how any of this works but I do know that if St. Marys almost beat Grant last week then SHP, Los Gatos, and probably a couple other teams from CCS could compete with Grant.

Again with the "Team A beat Team B and Team B beat team C so team A would surely beat team C"
That is such BS, different defensive strengths match up differently with different offenses.
Plus you never know when and why a HS team will play to their ability or not.

For instance a team like SHP will generally play somewhat consistent because they are a disciplined team and a team like Grant which plays with less discipline and more emotion will have substantial swings in consistency of play.
Then there is always the talent up and downs due to injuries and whether a team was able to play their best players or not.
The distance of the schools have nothing to do with if they are rated better than another or not.

So Polemic, how do you choose between teams that do not play each other directly? 40 yd times, players over 250#, history, or what?

Ahh. Aptos went out on the road and played granite bay and held their own. Last night game was a defense battle with lots of good athletes on the field.

I know I'm stepping on the toes of some people on here, but the loss to Granite Bay is more of a negative than a positive this year.

Doer...

The only way to do it in my opinion is to look at the road they took to get there. Who they played how good they were and where those teams ended up when all the dust settled. Size and speed do not always result in wins so that isn't sensible to me to use those criteria.
Honestly I believe either team has about.0001% chance of beating Folsom.
Again people forget Grant has beat 4 teams post season to get where they are SHP has only beat 3.

I would like to see DLS vs Folsom where I believe DLS would win and see Grant vs SHP where I think Grant would win

I guess ones perspective depends on their opinion are we talking about sending Nor Cals best to play So Cal teams or Find out who is top dog in Nor Cal for 2014 because I believe that those 2 different opinions would need different paths.
I see DLS as Nor Cal #1 Team, Folsom as #2 Team, Grant or Pitt as #3 and SHP as #4 or less. St Mary's is pretty good also.
I do think Grant vs Pitt would be an interesting game.

Rant Over! lol
This post was edited on 12/7 12:50 PM by Polemic

To reply to the original post,
DLS, Clayton Valley, and Campolindo are witihin 14 miles of each other. Like Folsom and Grant, there weren't any matchups between the 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT