ADVERTISEMENT

Grant HC Carl Reed SJS Coach of the Year

PacerLegend

Rookie
Mar 3, 2019
Carl Reed the Grant AD, Grant Alum. and Grant High Teacher is truly an educator first and leader of young men from an economically challenged community. Utilizing football as a conduit of setting high standards of achievement the Pacers have rebounded from a winless 1st season under Reed to collecting Section and NorCal titles a year later-- that is leadership.
Reed coaches home games and practices on a field his predecessor is named after and now will Coach on that same field a State Championship game.

It's only right that a State Championship game be played in Del Paso Heights!

Carl Reed the Grant AD, Grant Alum. and Grant High Teacher is truly an educator first and leader of young men from an economically challenged community. Utilizing football as a conduit of setting high standards of achievement the Pacers have rebounded from a winless 1st season under Reed to collecting Section and NorCal titles a year later-- that is leadership.
Reed coaches home games and practices on a field his predecessor is named after and now will Coach on that same field a State Championship game.

It's only right that a State Championship game be played in Del Paso Heights!
That is very impressive. To rebound that fast should hopefully get his program back for years to come and attract more talent each season.

I mean to go from not winning a single game last year to a state championship! Has that ever been done before? I'm surprised that this isn't talked about more. Gotta give this coach some major kuddos for building back up Grant's football team like that. Hope they win it all.

I mean to go from not winning a single game last year to a state championship! Has that ever been done before? I'm surprised that this isn't talked about more. Gotta give this coach some major kuddos for building back up Grant's football team like that. Hope they win it all.

It is a tremendous turnaround, no doubt. But let’s not forget that GHS moving out of the SFL and dropping down to a playoff division they’ve never played before is also playing a part in this turnaround.

I recall more than a few on this forum being outraged several years back when Del Oro was mopping up D3 competition in the postseason. It didn’t matter that their enrollment placed them there.

As a huge long time fan and proponent of the Pacers program — I’m not shocked at this result and would expect them to overwhelm opponents at the D3 level. I mean, this is Grant Union HS were talking about. They’ve turned out more athletes and star players the past 40 years than any other program you can name in and around the Sac Metro area.

While they finally hit an extended rough patch that they had previously avoided (unlike most) and were no longer to able to dominate at the D1 or D2 levels, they should have been expected to compete really well in D3.

I don’t think that the community cares too much about the division or league, right now. (They are enjoying winning games again) People were ready to move on from the old coach and were giving the new staff a chance to grow and develop. The coaches have done a great job! People are raving about the cultural changes that have taken place!

But I agree, the Metro league and D3 competition isn’t a great barometer for measuring or gauging the program to determine how we stack up against NorCal’s best.

One thing is certain, the SFL is not a developmental league for coaches. Especially for a first time head coach/brand new staff. The SFL is for established programs that get after it year around. Grants program is still developing into that.

The staff added some very talented pieces to go along with some of the old school coaches/alumni from the championship years.

Syd Quan Thompson has been an unsung hero and the quarterback coach/OC (from Folsom) has been stellar. The offense looks very fluid!

To your point, the turnaround has been aided by the move to the Metro league. The competition, with the exception of Monterey Trails, is not strong. But it has given the coaches a space to develop and it appears that the players have bought in.

I believe that Grant would have been equally successful in the D2 playoffs. Especially after the coaches learned to make in-game/line up adjustments.

I don’t think that the community cares too much about the division or league, right now. (They are enjoying winning games again) People were ready to move on from the old coach and were giving the new staff a chance to grow and develop. The coaches have done a great job! People are raving about the cultural changes that have taken place!

Nor should they care. They should enjoy every minute of it. GHS has done nothing wrong. They are participating exactly where they should be. And the turnaround has been a tremendous thing to see.

HS football in the SAC area is far better when GHS is relevant. For most of the past 30 years it has been the flagship program for this region.

But I agree, the Metro league and D3 competition isn’t a great barometer for measuring or gauging the program to determine how we stack up against NorCal’s best.

One thing is certain, the SFL is not a developmental league for coaches. Especially for a first time head coach/brand new staff. The SFL is for established programs that get after it year around. Grants program is still developing into that.

I’ve said this before, but the Pacers move to the SFL occurred about a dozen years too late. While I believe they would have been the dominant program in the league, the SFL in the early 2000’s until the Pacers decline around 2012ish would have provided them with a lot better competition and pushed them to be even better.

The C.A.L. was a great league for GHS in the 80’s and 90’s, but once it was broken apart the SFL would have been the best option.

But moving the Pacers to the SFL in 2018 was quite shortsighted. Far too late. And as you said made it virtually impossible for the new staff to build up anything.

The staff added some very talented pieces to go along with some of the old school coaches/alumni from the championship years.

Syd Quan Thompson has been an unsung hero and the quarterback coach/OC (from Folsom) has been stellar. The offense looks very fluid!

One of the all-time great Pacers!

To your point, the turnaround has been aided by the move to the Metro league. The competition, with the exception of Monterey Trails, is not strong. But it has given the coaches a space to develop and it appears that the players have bought in.

I believe that Grant would have been equally successful in the D2 playoffs. Especially after the coaches learned to make in-game/line up adjustments.
Very well said,all true!👏👏👏👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Nor should they care. They should enjoy every minute of it. GHS has done nothing wrong. They are participating exactly where they should be. And the turnaround has been a tremendous thing to see.

HS football in the SAC area is far better when GHS is relevant. For most of the past 30 years it has been the flagship program for this region.

I’ve said this before, but the Pacers move to the SFL occurred about a dozen years too late. While I believe they would have been the dominant program in the league, the SFL in the early 2000’s until the Pacers decline around 2012ish would have provided them with a lot better competition and pushed them to be even better.

The C.A.L. was a great league for GHS in the 80’s and 90’s, but once it was broken apart the SFL would have been the best option.

But moving the Pacers to the SFL in 2018 was quite shortsighted. Far too late. And as you said made it virtually impossible for the new staff to build up anything.

One of the all-time great Pacers!
Yes indeed! Definitely an All-Time Great! I believe that Syd is Co-Head Coach...

Syd Quan was the first player I called when I started working at NCP. I've been glad to hear he is back in the area and apart of this Grant rebuild

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT