ADVERTISEMENT

Haley Jones comps

It’s so hard to rank all of these top NorCal HS players. If you factor in college performance, or for that matter pro ball, you can narrow it down some, but I think the original post was just talking about HS careers. Especially since Haley hasn’t played any college ball yet.

And I think some other current players like Hannah Jump and Angel Jackson need some mention, since they’re right up there with many of the names already mentioned on this thread.

And at the same time, women like Amanda Lassiter -- the first NorCal player to make the WNBA -- fade out of memory.

Brandy Reed dominated, in those few big games she played -- I just mention her because she too is a distant past player.

Erin Buescher had 25 points and 25 rebounds in a state championship game for Rincon Valley Christian, as a 6-3 point guard.

What players dominated though ? What players made state runs etc ?
Jacki Gemelos was the most dominate guard I’ve ever seen. She averaged over 39 points and scored 55 three different games her senior year. Cortney Paris the most dominate post player I’ve seen from NorCal. I believe Chelsey Gray is the only NorCal player that has been a WNBA All-Star.

Interesting. Sacred Heart Prep had so many outstanding players in the early and mid-1990s Renee Robinson breaks through as just one of many in an incredible program that would shock today's observers too young (or totally unaware) to recall any of it.

Mikayla Cowlings’ sis Alex was a beast (don’t know if she was mentioned) and going back 40 years with a 61-2 record over two seasons, the BHS girls were a quartet of ballers: Stephanie Guinness, Donna Collins, Rhonda Simmons, and Angel Hardy.....ahead of their time.

I remember that Berkeley team -- they were really good.

Here's a name and school we've forgotten:

Denesha Stallworth at Pinole Valley. She played with a point guard (Ross?) who was really good and went to Fresno State, I think.

I had brought up Alex Cowlings earlier and Stallworth was on a list that was made but not brought up by name. PV did have I think 3 D1 players during that run, Stallworth, Ross and another guard?

I remember that Berkeley team -- they were really good.

Here's a name and school we've forgotten:

Denesha Stallworth at Pinole Valley. She played with a point guard (Ross?) who was really good and went to Fresno State, I think.
Yep, Jaleesa Ross.....

I had brought up Alex Cowlings earlier and Stallworth was on a list that was made but not brought up by name. PV did have I think 3 D1 players during that run, Stallworth, Ross and another guard?
Marnique Arnold was the other player with Stallworth and Ross.....they went 31-2 with that trio when Stallworth was a frosh and the youngest of the Smith sisters (Jasmine) was a Senior.

Last edited:
I cant put Haley Jones on Rushmore...she was on some unbelievably talented teams that didn't win the big one....that seems like a pretty big hole in her resume. At least in Sabrinas case(she didn't win 1 either) her teams were never considered the best team whereas H.Jones teams were full of elite talent.

My Rushmore

Ionescu
R. Robinson
C. Paris
Gemelos (just ask Tom or Que about her and this is a no brainer)

subs:

Baugh
Appel

personal favorite who can play on my team anytime:

A Mac

That Angel Hardy Berkeley team... That was the first team I saw that made me think, "Hey! Girls can play this game after all!"

They were amazing... Hardy especially, but her teammates sure could ball...

Btw, she is now head coach at Oakwood HS, a D5 school in North Hollywood. For a while back in the 90's, she coached the boys team. Great team nickname, but I'm not so sure many girls would wanna be known as Gorillas :)

In college, she played for the UCLA Bruins, leading them in assists her senior year and steals her junior and senior years.

So, does Morgan Bertsch belong on this list? She did much better in college than many of the names mentioned, some who never started.

Bertsch certainly inserted herself into the conversation ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT