ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Bishop to Giants

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Local boy makes good. San Carlos' Hunter Bishop, an alum of St. Francis and Serra (he graduated from the San Mateo Institution), was chosen as the Giants' top pick in today's amateur draft. As the tenth overall selection, Bishop, a 6-5 power-hitting OF from ASU, would receive a signing bonus estimated at just under 5 million smackers. Nice work if you can get it.

He's a great player. Excited he fell to SF, as many had him potentially going ahead of Vandy's Bleday.

The Giants outfield is absolutely putrid right now. I wouldn't say it's out of the question you sign him soon, he starts at San Jose, if he kills it, Sacramento in a month or two, with a potential September call up. Which rarely happens for draftees, but he is a polished College Player. And like I said the Giants outfield is horrid.

The Giants did pretty well with the last Serra/ASU player they selected.

Opps. Forgot he was drafted by Giants out of HS and did not sign. Was drafted by Pittsburg out of college.

Last edited:
Reactions: bella123
I anticipate another two years of this awful Giants play. Pretty much until they get off of the contracts of Belt, Crawford, Samardijia, Cueto and Posey. A guy we should target in 2020 draft is Bishop's ASU teammate Spencer Torkelson, 1B. We should be in the bottom 3 this year behind Baltimore and Miami. A faster rebuild would be to get other teams top level prospects for Bumgarner, Will Smith, Watson, and Dyson. We'll see how it goes, but until then, we'll be suffering for awhile.

I anticipate another two years of this awful Giants play. Pretty much until they get off of the contracts of Belt, Crawford, Samardijia, Cueto and Posey. A guy we should target in 2020 draft is Bishop's ASU teammate Spencer Torkelson, 1B. We should be in the bottom 3 this year behind Baltimore and Miami. A faster rebuild would be to get other teams top level prospects for Bumgarner, Will Smith, Watson, and Dyson. We'll see how it goes, but until then, we'll be suffering for awhile.

Dealing MadBum should be able to extract some top level prospects, but teams may not be wiling to part with top level talent for those other 3.

Bingo! Been saying this for a year. With Baer soon to be gone and no more Sabean and Evans I don’t think the days of the “loyalty” contracts will be such a issue with Farhan. He seems more like the Bill Walsh model of if he’s got one more good year ahead of him lets get rid of him now and look to the future.

Plus that’s fence will finally get moved in I hope. That was Magowan and Baer’s baby. Now FA power hitters might consider the Giants.

Last edited:
Local boy makes good. San Carlos' Hunter Bishop, an alum of St. Francis and Serra (he graduated from the San Mateo Institution), was chosen as the Giants' top pick in today's amateur draft. As the tenth overall selection, Bishop, a 6-5 power-hitting OF from ASU, would receive a signing bonus estimated at just under 5 million smackers. Nice work if you can get it.

I believe Bishop grew up in Palo Alto

HUNTER BISHOP
  • HOMETOWN - Palo Alto, Calif.

You don't thing the Giants can get a prospect or 2 for Will Smith?

The key is what the OP meant by top level. To me, top level means a top 100 in all of baseball prospect on the order of a Joey Bart, and not someone’s 8th best prospect. Sure they can get a prospect or 2 for him. But will they be willing to let them go for just prospects, if they’re not a team’s top level prospects? It will be interesting.

Last edited:
I'm sure you inadvertently left out the contract of Longoria. I know my hindsight is 20/20 but Evans' Brian Reynolds for McCutchen deal stunk from the moment I heard it. I think Farhan will get things together but it will take time.

Shark and Johnny’s best years are behind them. Buster’s 9 lives a la concussing are almost up. He’ll go to 1st, Belt will be dealt for 2nd tier prospects as his splash hit ratio is ho hum. Heck he bunted twice last week with the shift. I don’t think Craw, THE hometown boy, gets dealt. (Much bigger house in Phoenix though!) He’ll contribute, when he’s healthy.

Giants fans were rewarded when Sabean abandoned the FA older talent money dump (see Zito) which brought MadBum and Buster. How’d that work?!

Shark still has 19.8 million due next year. He still might get some bait, but Giants might have to eat some of that contract. Hell if Pomerania gets hot a contender might take a flyer on a lefty who could be a #4. Clear them all out!

I usually don't condone calling up college players so soon. But I could see Bishop rocket through the system if he is signed soon. Lets say he signs sometime this week, joins the Giants in AZ for a physical. Is introduced at Oracle Park during the Rockies homestand.

Bishop could start in San Jose....destroy in a hitters league, skip Richmond, go straight to Sacramento with a Call Up in September.

San Jose would have a 2-3-4 of Bishop-Ramos-Bart..........

It's more likely a 2020 or 2021 debut, but our outfield is so POOR!

The Giants have not had a legitimate starting outfielder since Bonds retired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT