ADVERTISEMENT

CIF State is preparing to separate privates from publics. Here is how a playoff system may have looked in 2022.

LecheDeMiPalo

Sports Fanatic
Dec 28, 2010
While it is not yet confirmed when it will happen, I can confirm that the California Interscholastic Federation is preparing to separate privates from publics for playoff purposes. I can not confirm whether this will only include parochial or rather extend to all schools with no enrollment boundaries but can confirm that a separation is in the works. The little information that I do have comes from a source that I would say is extremely credible.

This said, I did some homework and put together both Open Division and Division 1 brackets for both the Northern and Southern schools just to theoretically given an idea of what such a playoff system may look like. With over 1000 schools throughout the state participating in 11-Man football, the separation would obviously require additional Divisions for both Private and Public Schools alike. This bracket was created within the last few hours using CalPreps so the brackets are subject to be a bit off from what they may have been last week. Enjoy!

PRIVATE

North Open

1 Serra (San Mateo) vs. 8 Archbishop Mitty (San Jose)
2 De La Salle (Concord) vs. 7 Central Valley Christian (Visalia)
3 San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno) vs. 6 Saint Mary's (Stockton)
4 Central Catholic (Modesto) vs. 5 St. Francis (Mountain View)

South Open

1 Mater Dei (Santa Ana) vs. 8 Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita)
2 St. John Bosco (Bellflower) vs. 7 Chaminade (West Hills)
3 Bishop Amat (La Puente) vs. 6 Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth)
4 JSerra (San Juan Capistrano) vs. 5 Lutheran (Orange)

North Division I

1 St. Joseph (Santa Maria) vs. 8 Garces Memorial (Bakersfield)
2 Marin Catholic (Kentfield) vs. 7 Bellarmine (San Jose)
3 Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco) vs. 6 Jesuit (Carmichael)
4 Sacred Heart Preparatory (Atherton) vs. 5 Palma (Salinas)

South Division I

1 Serra (Gardena) vs. 8 St. Francis (La Canada)
2 Oaks Christian (Westlake Village) vs. 7 Aquinas (San Bernardino)
3 Bishop Garcia Diego (Santa Barbara) vs. 6 Mater Dei (Chula Vista)
4 St Bonaventure (Ventura) vs. 5 Cathedral (Los Angeles)

PUBLIC

North Open

1 Folsom vs. 8 Central (Fresno)
2 Liberty (Bakersfield) vs. 7 Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills)
3 Clovis West (Fresno) vs. 6 Manteca
4 Buchanan (Clovis) vs. 5 Pittsburg

South Open

1 Mission Viejo vs. 8 Lincoln (San Diego)
2 Los Alamitos vs. 7 Carlsbad
3 Centennial (Corona) vs. 6 Edison (Huntington Beach)
4 Poly (Long Beach) vs. 5 Inglewood

North Division I

1 Del Oro (Loomis) vs. 8 Clayton Valley Charter (Concord)
2 Rocklin vs. 7 McClymonds (Oakland)
3 Salinas vs. 6 Granite Bay
4 Clovis North (Fresno) vs. 5 Turlock

South Division I

1 Rancho Cucamonga vs. 8 San Clemente
2 Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach) vs. 7 Upland
3 Oak Hills (Hesperia) vs. 6 Citrus Valley (Redlands)
4 Yorba Linda vs. 5 Warren (Downey)

Observations:

1. Lowest ranked team per CalPreps is Garces Memorial at 127.

2. All Five of the Trinity League schools who qualified for the 2022 Southern Section Playoffs qualified for the Private School Open Division Bracket while Five of the Six WCAL schools who qualified for the 2022 Central Coast Section Playoffs qualified for either the Open Division Bracket or Division 1 Bracket. The one WCAL school who did not punch their ticket into the Private School Sweet 16? St. Ignatius of San Francisco.

3. Three of the Ten Sections do not have a representative in the Open Division and Division 1. Those sections are the Los Angeles Section, Northern Section and San Francisco Section.

4. The top ranked programs for the three sections absent from the Open Division as well as Division 1 are #118 Foothill (Palo Cedro) for the Northern Section, #202 Garfield for the Los Angeles Section and #626 Abraham Lincoln for the San Francisco Section.

The private schools should just leave the CIF altogether and start their own Prep Association. This would allow them to actually recruit kids to their schools without all of the public outcry and denouncement.

I actually like what Mater Dei and St. John Bosco are doing down in Southern Ca. They are playing college style football which benefits kids looking to go to college. Many kids are also getting a better education then the one that was once afforded to them.

I’d love to see schools like De La Salle, Jesuit, SJ Memorial, Serra, and St. Mary’s join the party and run similar college prep programs. They could also invite Bishop Gorman and others to compete.

Cities like Sacramento, Oakland, SF/San Mateo, San Jose, Stockton, Fresno, San Diego, and LA could put some serious teams on the field that could compete with MD and Bosco.

This could also bring in major corporate sponsors and investors. Youth Sports is a multi billion dollar industry!

Last edited:
I agree with this system. You can't have two seperate rule systems playing under one umbrella. It isn't fair and is getting stupid.

The problem with this is: Not all private schools do this "recruiting" for athletics thing...

For example, what if Berean Christian or some other small private had to play Serra or DLS because of this rule?

Maybe if there were a large set of qualifying rules to determine who's who and what's what... But I think that would open up a whole new can of worms.

The problem with this is: Not all private schools do this "recruiting" for athletics thing...

For example, what if Berean Christian or some other small private had to play Serra or DLS because of this rule?

Maybe if there were a large set of qualifying rules to determine who's who and what's what... But I think that would open up a whole new can of worms.

No private school recruits. Ever. Ask Pat Walsh.

er... didn't notice how old this thread was... Feel free to ignore... :)
Me too, just realized when it was originally posted. 😂

This same argument has been going on for 40+ years. Nothing has changed. I’m sure we will hear the same 10 years from now as well.

Reactions: FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT