ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sparty Done!?

pastyfastquick3

Hall of Famer
Aug 26, 2019
Dismal performance against Monterrey Trail. They were in danger of losing at one point in Elk Grove.

They lose to Serra last night. Frankly, the game shouldn't have been that close. Serra should have won by THREE TDs. Serra made too many mistakes and kept turning it over in the red zone. That kept DLS in the game. Just observing the quality of play and players, Serra was on a whole different level than DLS overall.

Folsom shot themselves in the foot against Serra by fumbling on the 1 and turning it over in the RZ multiple times. I felt Folsom was better, especially if they didn't lose Lyons.

The bigger question is- Is Sparty done? The young families with kids are starting to leave that area and more and more people are gravitating towards the upper echelon publics. DLS isn't poaching the best kids in the Bay or Saramento anymore. Maybe it's the offense they don't want to play in? Maybe its tuition?

My opinion- SPARTY IS DONE: as a top program in NorCal.

They need to revamp the entire program including the administration. DLS at this point is basically the radio shack/kodak/blockbuster of high school football. A giant on the way down.

The formula to be the best is quite simple. Just watch what we do down here in SoCal. You need to get a better offensive scheme and RECRUIT. quit with the 8 passes per game and undersized linemen bs. let the coaches recruit and start sending a bus or van to pick up the kids in the morning from Sacramento or Central Valley, whereever the talent is. Start giving kids full ride scholarships to DLS and recruit recruit recruit. The game of football is not about X's and O', it's about jimmy and joes! quit this veer BS and get rid of this alumbum guy. Let the new coach RECRUIT

Dismal performance against Monterrey Trail. They were in danger of losing at one point in Elk Grove.

They lose to Serra last night. Frankly, the game shouldn't have been that close. Serra should have won by THREE TDs. Serra made too many mistakes and kept turning it over in the red zone. That kept DLS in the game. Just observing the quality of play and players, Serra was on a whole different level than DLS overall.

Folsom shot themselves in the foot against Serra by fumbling on the 1 and turning it over in the RZ multiple times. I felt Folsom was better, especially if they didn't lose Lyons.

The bigger question is- Is Sparty done? The young families with kids are starting to leave that area and more and more people are gravitating towards the upper echelon publics. DLS isn't poaching the best kids in the Bay or Saramento anymore. Maybe it's the offense they don't want to play in? Maybe its tuition?

My opinion- SPARTY IS DONE: as a top program in NorCal.
Is Folsom Done Because They Lost to Serra as well?…. 🤣

They need to revamp the entire program including the administration. DLS at this point is basically the radio shack/kodak/blockbuster of high school football. A giant on the way down.

The formula to be the best is quite simple. Just watch what we do down here in SoCal. You need to get a better offensive scheme and RECRUIT. quit with the 8 passes per game and undersized linemen bs. let the coaches recruit and start sending a bus or van to pick up the kids in the morning from Sacramento or Central Valley, whereever the talent is. Start giving kids full ride scholarships to DLS and recruit recruit recruit. The game of football is not about X's and O', it's about jimmy and joes! quit this veer BS and get rid of this alumbum guy. Let the new coach RECRUIT
The real Question is, What has Happend to The Trinity League??… OLU getting their Doors Blown off By Edison??… Maybe OLU needs to Fire up the Van Pools and Start Recruiting….. 🤣🤣

DLS needs to pull more kids from Antioch, Baypoint, East concord. I wouldn’t say they are done but they certainly haven’t adapted well to new schemes. Learn to throw! It would be like a hoop team not shooting 3’s now. Gotta change ways.

Everybody just slow down… geez I am not a DLS fan but do they just get blown out by Concord or Mt Diablo?? What are you saying — a 3 point loss to Serra does not indicate a massive falling avalanche. Are they what they were when they won 150 in a row.. no.. have others step up to their level.. yes( Serra Folsom St Francis) not many, do they need a shift in program.. yea maybe to stay at that high level.. cool your jets everybody

Everybody just slow down… geez I am not a DLS fan but do they just get blown out by Concord or Mt Diablo?? What are you saying — a 3 point loss to Serra does not indicate a massive falling avalanche. Are they what they were when they won 150 in a row.. no.. have others step up to their level.. yes( Serra Folsom St Francis) not many, do they need a shift in program.. yea maybe to stay at that high level.. cool your jets everybody
has more to do with their gameplay, coaching, veer, and player personnel than the scoreboard. They had 3 losses (including a blowout against St Frances MD) and did not make it to any state championship game. At this rate, I doubt they make it to state again. They are basically receeding with this Alumbum/Lopoz leadership. It doesn't help that the powers in SoCal are now recruiting in your own backyard for the most promising athletes. Jordan Davison grew up 5 minutes away from DLS and is now starting back on an undefeated MD team.

has more to do with their gameplay, coaching, veer, and player personnel than the scoreboard. They had 3 losses (including a blowout against St Frances MD) and did not make it to any state championship game. At this rate, I doubt they make it to state again. They are basically receeding with this Alumbum/Lopoz leadership. It doesn't help that the powers in SoCal are now recruiting in your own backyard for the most promising athletes. Jordan Davison grew up 5 minutes away from DLS and is now starting back on an undefeated MD team.
wait a minute a kid from concord 5 minutes from de la Salle plays at MD. Damn tell us more. Thank God not everyone is Orange County bred and born. As for Leo, one of the most stand up guys you will ever find when it comes to high school athletics. Leo gets it. And I am glad to have got to known him for many years back in my coaching days. Leo has a huge passion in education and not just the win/loss column. But nice shot to take at him

Last edited:
wait a minute a kid from concord 5 minutes from de la Salle plays at MD. Damn tell us more. Thank God not everyone is Orange County bred and born. As for Leo, one of the most stand up guys you will ever find when it comes to high school athletics. Leo gets it. And I am glad to have got to known him for many years back in my coaching days. Leo has a huge passion in education and not just the win/loss column. But nice shot to take at him
so can Leo not balance education with a strong football program? Sierra Canyon, Oak Christian, and Chaminade can do this. I don't know whats going on at DLS now - whether it's Alumbum's fault or what but the past 2 games for DLS & last season have looked sloppy. Their player pool has dwindled and is nowhere what it was when I growing up. Either you take the leash off ALumbum can let him or his staff recruit, or you revamp the entire program starting at the top with Lopoz.

The real Question is, What has Happend to The Trinity League??… OLU getting their Doors Blown off By Edison??… Maybe OLU needs to Fire up the Van Pools and Start Recruiting….. 🤣🤣
Edison isn’t exactly some push over school, they have a pretty solid history and I believe ranked fairly high in the state. (Haven’t looked) Beating OLU isn’t a surprise here. In fact Edison probably has a better football tradition than OLU.

Reactions: QPRTrinity
O Lu is very young this year but I know Coach Sherman, Corp, and Morin can get these lads riled up and ready to compete. and FYI a good chunk of their team is from the inland empire. Just gotta take the 91 to get to school.

Good points by all. The Soi Cal. guy brings up a good point i.e. Recruit Recruit Recruit. The Trinity League is RUINING high school football in California thru their blatant recruiting, all because they got tired of getting whipped by Bob Ladoceur.

It is really no fun watching SJB and MD when we see players who transfer in for one season and in some cases, go back to their original high school after the high school football season is done.

For this fan, the So Cal powers today are sort of fake powers.

so can Leo not balance education with a strong football program? Sierra Canyon, Oak Christian, and Chaminade can do this. I don't know whats going on at DLS now - whether it's Alumbum's fault or what but the past 2 games for DLS & last season have looked sloppy. Their player pool has dwindled and is nowhere what it was when I growing up. Either you take the leash off ALumbum can let him or his staff recruit, or you revamp the entire program starting at the top with Lopoz.
So what is your take on the national
power Mater Dei not making a appearance in Sacramento on the hoop court since 2014 in victory and 2015 in their last appearance. And who from the Trinity has been up here. So guess a few athletic directors need to quit focusing on just football. I mean the school year has quite a few sports. So if Leo should go, might be time for others to go due to the lack of performance and success right. I mean damn man, all the sudden what did everyone in Orange County just start playing football and put the basketball down. I mean yes this is football season with all due respect can’t argue that at the moment. But if guy are gonna bash nor cal and athletic directors, what is up after football. One guy said you don’t understand the talent in Orange County is just that good. But hey maybe all the athletes said welp, let’s enjoy the outdoors, a few of those guys with the last name James have the indoors covered

DLS needs to pull more kids from Antioch, Baypoint, East concord. I wouldn’t say they are done but they certainly haven’t adapted well to new schemes. Learn to throw! It would be like a hoop team not shooting 3’s now. Gotta change ways.
but de la salle doesnt recruit so this wont happen. i agree though, they need to hit richmond, vallejo and east oakland too. these skill position players from alamo and lafayette aint gonna win national titles or state titles

• Haha
So what is your take on the national
power Mater Dei not making a appearance in Sacramento on the hoop court since 2014 in victory and 2015 in their last appearance. And who from the Trinity has been up here. So guess a few athletic directors need to quit focusing on just football. I mean the school year has quite a few sports. So if Leo should go, might be time for others to go due to the lack of performance and success right. I mean damn man, all the sudden what did everyone in Orange County just start playing football and put the basketball down. I mean yes this is football season with all due respect can’t argue that at the moment. But if guy are gonna bash nor cal and athletic directors, what is up after football. One guy said you don’t understand the talent in Orange County is just that good. But hey maybe all the athletes said welp, let’s enjoy the outdoors, a few of those guys with the last name James have the indoors covered
Football pays the bills so to speak. Basketball, Baseball, wrestling, track, all great sports but football is king. I don’t follow basketball so might be speaking from a place of ignorance here but isn’t the best team in SoCal anyway?

Why doesn’t Mater Dei produce good NFL players?

Because the NFL is light years away from HS ball. Many things derail football careers everything from injury, burnout, women, life, etc……Players still need to navigate college as well. It’s frankly a ridiculous question.

I do gotta say there’s a ton of layers and a lot of life circumstances between a great high school football player and the NFL.

I remember hearing how David Henderson was NFL bound when he was at Lincoln. Not just him, but can name thousands of dudes who fit this bill. How many times have we heard:

“what a waste of talent”
“bad college fit”
“if he didn’t get hurt”

I do gotta say there’s a ton of layers and a lot of life circumstances between a great high school football player and the NFL.

I remember hearing how David Henderson was NFL bound when he was at Lincoln. Not just him, but can name thousands of dudes who fit this bill. How many times have we heard:

“what a waste of talent”
“bad college fit”
“if he didn’t get hurt”
So true. There Are so many headwinds that you have to overcome. And since everybody is the best you have to have the mental fortitude to separate from pack.

Because the NFL is light years away from HS ball. Many things derail football careers everything from injury, burnout, women, life, etc……Players still need to navigate college as well. It’s frankly a ridiculous question.
So true. There Are so many headwinds that you have to overcome. And since everybody is the best you have to have the mental fortitude to separate from pack.
Larry you know from years of basketball that separation from the pack is key. Look at all the kids that went to Findlay Prep from Nor Cal. If you are the man, you are the man. If you are the man playing with everyone equal as you, to me it takes a little away from the mentality it takes to be a pro.

So let’s look at Norcal Football players who spent years on the league. Marshawn Lynch, Aaron Rodgers, Amani Toomer, Aaron Taylor, Jared Goff(very underwhelming unfortunately), DJ Williams, Najee Harris, Lynn Swann, Dan Fouts, Maurice Jones Drew, and many more. In high school those guys were the best hands down. And they didn’t play with 20 other plus big d1 athletes, they were lucky if they had 3-5 others. Just never a big fan of the best playing with the best. Cause if you are the best, you standout like a Davante Adam’s, the kid Dickey at Menlo Atherton he will play years in the pros. David Bakhatari(however you spell it.) almost every long tenured professional athlete from Northern California was the man at their respective high schools. Damien Lillard, Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson. I could go on and on. You get my drift. I am glad Dickey is at Menlo A. Cause he knows his path is looking pretty darn golden, he didn’t need to play with 20 other D1 athletes and get his rear end stuck often by others. Injuries are a big part of the game which one person just said, so why go play against monsters if your destiny is looking pretty damn good on the football field.

“what a waste of talent”
“bad college fit”
“if he didn’t get hurt”
In all fairness it’s hard to compare a David Henderson or even Terrence Kelly to todays landscape of football schools with multiple D1 atheletes at all powerhouses nationwide, cause I would think most of those kids don’t have to go back to a neighborhood of
Massive gang violence, reason why David died at 21 and Kelly at 18. David didn’t get shot in the sunset district and Terrence next to De La Salles campus.

Football pays the bills so to speak. Basketball, Baseball, wrestling, track, all great sports but football is king. I don’t follow basketball so might be speaking from a place of ignorance here but isn’t the best team in SoCal anyway?
Last season yes. One was in Riverside County and one in LA County. I mean when De La Salle beat MD 4 years in a row during the National streak, MD was a major basketball power at that time and for years after. But hey, guess basketball isn’t profitable for MD anymore and maybe Orange County just doesn’t have basketball players anymore for some reason. However they still host the Nike Extravaganza for the past many years which at one time had teams coming from all over the country. Teams traveling in have faded some, but still a great event that Nike was pumping some serious money into.

In all fairness it’s hard to compare a David Henderson or even Terrence Kelly to todays landscape of football schools with multiple D1 atheletes at all powerhouses nationwide, cause I would think most of those kids don’t have to go back to a neighborhood of
Massive gang violence, reason why David died at 21 and Kelly at 18. David didn’t get shot in the sunset district and Terrence next to De La Salles campus.
who is david henderson?

Last season yes. One was in Riverside County and one in LA County. I mean when De La Salle beat MD 4 years in a row during the National streak, MD was a major basketball power at that time and for years after. But hey, guess basketball isn’t profitable for MD anymore and maybe Orange County just doesn’t have basketball players anymore for some reason. However they still host the Nike Extravaganza for the past many years which at one time had teams coming from all over the country. Teams traveling in have faded some, but still a great event that Nike was pumping some serious money into.
MD is still formidable in basketball.

The days of DLS being the clear dominant team in NorCal are over. More schools are invested in high school football, talent is more spread out. Still will be one of the top teams in NorCal.

Their talent level is down from their peak, but they will have five guys play Division I football including a Power 5 TE/DE

Offensively, they are stuck in the middle. Not wide open enough to take advantage of pass, but have added more wrinkles that they are less sharp overall

Reactions: mrbig864
who is david henderson?

San Francisco’s all time leading rusher. Broke all of OJ’s Records.

And before anyone starts with the “it’s the AAA” bs, just know that as someone who believes the AAA is the worst league in the state, “Doom” Henderson was that good.

Case and point: David’s junior year was the first and only time the “Transbay Bowl” was played which matched up the Silver Bowl and Turkey Bowl championships.

McClymonds whacked Lincoln 73-37.

However, David Henderson had close to 350 total yards and found the end zone 3 times.

And if you think these McClymonds teams are good, they would get ran off the field by those McClymonds teams.

Reactions: colhenrylives
San Francisco’s all time leading rusher. Broke all of OJ’s Records.

And before anyone starts with the “it’s the AAA” bs, just know that as someone who believes the AAA is the worst league in the state, “Doom” Henderson was that good.

Case and point: David’s junior year was the first and only time the “Transbay Bowl” was played which matched up the Silver Bowl and Turkey Bowl championships.

McClymonds whacked Lincoln 73-37.

However, David Henderson had close to 350 total yards and found the end zone 3 times.

And if you think these McClymonds teams are good, they would get ran off the field by those McClymonds teams.
Haven’t heard Doom in a long time. He was one of the cities finest man. I went to grammar school with Bobby Shaw who went to Galileo. He had a few years in. Hate to get discovered in the AAA these days, but David was special no doubt

The undertones to some posts are interesting. De La Salle still gets plenty of “diversity” from east CoCo county. But many kids stay at their Publics out there Pitt, CVC, Liberty, Heritage now, and Antioch running a better program. These are all free and closer to home and generally good schools.

Luckly they never built another Catholic in Livermore that could of threatened DLS unique geographic advantage.

wake me up when DLS loses an NCS game. DLS is still a top team in NorCal until someone blows them out. A few point losses to some of the best teams in Serra or St Francis history are nothing. Folsom guy was he panicked when they didn’t even win league last year?

Reactions: THEOC89
MD is still formidable in basketball.
Never said they were not. However I believe someone asked how many guys have made it to the NFL from MD. It was said with some legit reasoning that kids get hurt, injuries etc…. Well can we say the same about hoops. I mean Stanley Johnson was a stud, 4 rings in a row. But his career in the league has been just ok, although his mothers passing was rough no doubt. LA has produced some serious NBA athletes, best from the Trinity, Klay in my opinion. You can put all the top players on one team in any sport, doesn’t mean they make a living doing it.

DLS was one of the first high schools that had an off-season strength and conditioning program. I believe they started this when Coach Lad built the program over 30 years ago. Now, off-season strength and conditioning is the norm.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Larry you know from years of basketball that separation from the pack is key. Look at all the kids that went to Findlay Prep from Nor Cal. If you are the man, you are the man. If you are the man playing with everyone equal as you, to me it takes a little away from the mentality it takes to be a pro.

So let’s look at Norcal Football players who spent years on the league. Marshawn Lynch, Aaron Rodgers, Amani Toomer, Aaron Taylor, Jared Goff(very underwhelming unfortunately), DJ Williams, Najee Harris, Lynn Swann, Dan Fouts, Maurice Jones Drew, and many more. In high school those guys were the best hands down. And they didn’t play with 20 other plus big d1 athletes, they were lucky if they had 3-5 others. Just never a big fan of the best playing with the best. Cause if you are the best, you standout like a Davante Adam’s, the kid Dickey at Menlo Atherton he will play years in the pros. David Bakhatari(however you spell it.) almost every long tenured professional athlete from Northern California was the man at their respective high schools. Damien Lillard, Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson. I could go on and on. You get my drift. I am glad Dickey is at Menlo A. Cause he knows his path is looking pretty darn golden, he didn’t need to play with 20 other D1 athletes and get his rear end stuck often by others. Injuries are a big part of the game which one person just said, so why go play against monsters if your destiny is looking pretty damn good on the football field.
Wizard, couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately I think the parents drink the coolaid and there are so many sharks feeding in the water these days. Look at Armstead from Elk Grove. Guy played at pleasant grove Hs for god sake. They weren’t even that good on a local level. Didn’t matter. Kid had so many things going for him: elite size, good mentoring, and most of all… he’s a quality kid. He certainly didn’t need any other program to get him over hump.

Reactions: jordan24
The undertones to some posts are interesting. De La Salle still gets plenty of “diversity” from east CoCo county. But many kids stay at their Publics out there Pitt, CVC, Liberty, Heritage now, and Antioch running a better program. These are all free and closer to home and generally good schools.

Luckly they never built another Catholic in Livermore that could of threatened DLS unique geographic advantage.

wake me up when DLS loses an NCS game. DLS is still a top team in NorCal until someone blows them out. A few point losses to some of the best teams in Serra or St Francis history are nothing. Folsom guy was he panicked when they didn’t even win league last year?
Answer: Nah....

For decades, it was common the two veer backs (most publics can muster one), one of which doubled as the fast CB, were in the 20 mile car pool. Then along comes Najee, Mixon (not a fan) and others who dispelled the notion that Winton is the only pathway to the big contract. The "scholarship" program to enable attendance still has plenty of spots for those who "pass" the entry exam. That being said, the sky is not falling. The name parents with a Power 5 recruit (starter or clipboard holder) will still take the PIs to lunch at the local wok shop. One cannot ignore that a VERY healthy percentage of those not on scholarship go on to Bachelor's degrees. One can do that saving petrol dollars too.😉

Last edited:
This is ridiculous! DLS is DLS! Why are we knocking down teams when they lose to a better team, rather than give praise to the better team. Serra just beat Folsom and DLS. That’s a pretty damn good accomplishment! Is Folsom done? Stop with this BS! In addition, it’s early in the season. Much is truly unpredictable early on, even with DLS. Just look at everyone’s pick’ems this week. Did anyone really expect St. Mary’s to beat Central Catholic 47-7? I can share that not even the SM coaches and players expected that to happen (inside source). So, maybe it’s not DLS’s year this year and not was it last year. Still early! Even if it isn’t, can’t a school have a down season or two? It’s not the first time. It just so happens it’s a time (with a bad season to start, maybe) with other teams getting better. And these teams that have gotten better, is that going to last forever? DLS is still DLS! They may not always have the best talent, many years they don’t. But, they are still the best to make the best with the talent they have. This year and last, maybe, just maybe, that talent is even less. But, it’s not the end of the world for DLS. DLS will have better talent again and it’s not that far off especially losing to a talented team like Serra by a few points. Congrats to Serra! But, stop with the bashing of DLS! Bunch of haters!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT