ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Brown- Ivan Rabb & Cal

dhickman7

Board Regular
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2014
Idk how Cuonzo did it but WOW! 2 McDonalds All Americans. Great Recruiting class. Bears could be special next season. Very excited for next season already

After I heard that Rabb might have some social-media connection working with Jaylen Brown, I went and found a replay of the Georgia state title game... Dude is for REAL!

Cal will make plenty of noise next year, which is more than I can say for my Bruins...

Idk how Cuonzo did it but WOW! 2 McDonalds All Americans. Great Recruiting class. Bears could be special next season. Very excited for next season already

Martin soon after being named HC at Cal began relations with Rabb and Oakland Soldiers organization. Able to secure early commit from Oscar Frayer (one of the top players in NorCa for 2016's).

Rabb was a huge get... which helped pave way for the Brown get and now will have one of the top recruiting classes in nation...(a few months after Martin's arrival)

With Az departures to NBA, Cal will be serious contender for P12 championship next season.

If anybody believes cal landed rabb for nothing I have some swamp land I would like to sell you. It sit's on greal land though.let's not be afraid to call a spade a spade it is the landscape of college basketball now especially with most great players being one and done so I say great job to Martin and his staff By any means necessary.

What they say " if your not cheating your not trying " Glad Cal is finally playing the "game" of recruiting. Can't compete any other way nowadays. All the top programs do it ..great job Cuonzo

Same way Mike Montgomery didn't play the game and really was out of his element. Times have changed and unfortunately for the worse IMO. But it is what it is. Bones is right.

RJ

the sad thing is that mentality frequently creates hostile environments. When a coach "sells his soul" to the kid, he immediately loses control. for example: coach x decides to break the rules (free tuition in HS, extra cash to players in college, etc) that coach better have a résumé filled with championships. if not, the players run the program because they have the leverage.

You are rite to a certain point but remember the 1 and done guys are not seeking leverage like most guys did in the past who new they would be at a university for 2 to 3 years .Now the 1 and done guys just want to showcase there skills get a ton of minutes and get there touches.They still want some form of an extra benefit to attend a certain university but they appear to be very coach able for there brief stint in college Ala wiggins, parker, Davis, Big time McDonald's all Americans are just using college basketball like a minor league step to the nba.

Should be a treat to watch these two suit up for Cal this year. Great recruiting but will be interesting to see how Martin handles having 3-4-5 potential NBA guys on the court at the same time. Humble guys like Rabb will make that job easier.

Swanigan de commits from Michigan State shortly after Brown and Rabb commit to cal. Originally were looking to be a 3 way package deal at Cal before Swanigan committed elsewhere....

Don't be surprised if Cal gets their third 5 Star in that many weeks.

Reactions: relittleton
Monty was obviously a good coach but he was very disengaged with his players. Now a days kids feel more comfortable with coaches that truly cares for them and that they can open up to.No way in the world would Rabb be at Cal if Monty was there. He did a horrible job with recruiting Soldiers kids( Ashley Gordon Johnson Wiltcher Brown Artis to name a few) Martin made a huge splash with Rabb and even bigger surprise with Brown. Martin is definitely a players coach. He passionate and engaged with kids. The assertion by some you that those kids got payed is really disrespectful toward the players and coach Martin. I doubt Swanigan comes to Cal. He wants to be a 4 and at 6'8 thats where needs to develop into if he is planning on NBA. Purdue is front runner.

ball of fame I have always enjoyed your post and insight but do you really believe there was no kind of Xtra benefit extended to land these recruits?

I think time will tell but its sort of like the steroid era in baseball. Seems like everybody is doing it and if you aren't then you are "out" of the game. I wasn't a Monty fan. Totally agree with Ball of Fame. Met him a few times and he had little personality. I could see how that wouldn't translate into recruiting.

Xtra benefits...you guys have to understand the one and done mindset..go somewhere that is comfortable for you, where you going to play a ton of minutes(Kentucky experiment is over) and play in high profile conference.. Agents is taking over the money game..they are sliding money to kids and family since 9th10th grades..with the Nike and Adidas leagues they are exposing these kids young..Agents have to play game to be in with these kids early..one and done kid signs with agents with in days of declaring...thats laughable.

What's it worth to get a 5 star player... $225k. Thank you alumni.
Believe it.
The College basketball landscaping has forever changed.
It will be fun to watch next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT