ADVERTISEMENT

Lippi Retires from SJND

Congrats to Don on a great career!

Interesting job right now with a lot of private school competition in the Bay Area and tough landscape for smaller private schools.

Don got a whole lot out of the kids he had... Too bad what's happened to a team with a ton of legacy.

From Jason Kidd to.... THIS??

No kidding... I have heard the current principal hired a couple (a few?) years ago wants practically no emphasis on sports, probably wouldn't field teams at all if they could help it.
That's terrible, considering the basketball legacy that school once had. St Mary's Berkeley is having similar issues with its administration regarding athletics. Very unfortunate, especially if you're an alum

No kidding... I have heard the current principal hired a couple (a few?) years ago wants practically no emphasis on sports, probably wouldn't field teams at all if they could help it.
That's an interesting comment since the principal, Julianne Guevara, played and was head coach at St Ignatius. Lippi was the boys coach there at the same time. You would think she would have a different feeling for athletics.

That's an interesting comment since the principal, Julianne Guevara, played and was head coach at St Ignatius. Lippi was the boys coach there at the same time. You would think she would have a different feeling for athletics.
Yeah their girls program won the NCS Open and was the 2 seed behind only Mitty in the NorCal Girls Open in 2020 when Covid hit. They were winning by too much for the school & AD, and the coach (Hipol) was dismissed in mid season the following year. They haven’t had a winning season since. I believe it was Julianne who stepped in for him until they could find a replacement who wasn’t as focused on winning.

Reactions: bella123
Yeah their girls program won the NCS Open and was the 2 seed behind only Mitty in the NorCal Girls Open in 2020 when Covid hit. They were winning by too much for the school & AD, and the coach (Hipol) was dismissed in mid season the following year. They haven’t had a winning season since. I believe it was Julianne who stepped in for him until they could find a replacement who wasn’t as focused on winning.
yah and guess what happed to the coach the next year? he got fired or...resigned. The finny thing about it is that the principal, Julie Gavara is an SI grad and former head coach of the Pilots (got the ball rolling). With basketball in her blood, odd that he would want nothing to do with hoops.

Too bad such a horrible situation. The natural fit, 1 year too late is Miles Tarver an alum from Kidd era. But he had great debut at Alameda, not sure if it makes sense to make that move .. Kudos to Lippi, great run going back to SI days

Reactions: myko98
yah and guess what happed to the coach the next year? he got fired or...resigned. The finny thing about it is that the principal, Julie Gavara is an SI grad and former head coach of the Pilots (got the ball rolling). With basketball in her blood, odd that he would want nothing to do with hoops.
Heard she may be leaving SJND after this school year.

it's a wrap at Joes. Lippo retires. They also fired the new coaches that they just hired. They were a couple from what I understand. new admin doesn't care about sports. Joe's better years are now behind them. All private schools are not worth it when you have admin who is trying to stand out without athletics being a partial spotlight of the school. and its silly. because sports is very much part of transitioning kids with no visions and no goals into decent citizens in the community. whether the play at the next level or not. I rather go to a district school who wants the kids to thrive in all areas and need the proper coach to come in to help

Reactions: CaliHoops23
it's a wrap at Joes. Lippo retires. They also fired the new coaches that they just hired. They were a couple from what I understand. new admin doesn't care about sports. Joe's better years are now behind them. All private schools are not worth it when you have admin who is trying to stand out without athletics being a partial spotlight of the school. and its silly. because sports is very much part of transitioning kids with no visions and no goals into decent citizens in the community. whether the play at the next level or not. I rather go to a district school who wants the kids to thrive in all areas and need the proper coach to come in to help
Hope the new AD hires long term coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT