ADVERTISEMENT

Maile Williams Commits to Chicago State

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
Go Maile...
EX3bFNHUwAE99MZ

Congrats on her accomplishment. It's exciting to see these young student athletes getting the opportunity to play at the next level and continue their education

Reactions: ClayK
Congrats to the young lady. I understand the blessing it is to play Division I basketball, but i'm curious if signing with this particular school was just about saying that she made it Division I? I say that because Chicago State has been the absolute worst Division I program in America. Over the last 4 yrs, their record is an abysmal 4-113! Yes, you read it right, 4-113. Their facilities are terrible and their coach is on an interim title. Just not a very stable situation. There are several high level Division II full scholarship programs that would crush Chi State, so I wonder if it was just about saying that the goal of Division I was met. I think she's a talented young woman, and would have a much better overall experience winning at a DII than getting beat by 50 every game in DI.

wow 24-10 in 2010-11... then 6 wins the next year.. and no more than 4 after that.. what a drop off...

btw, how the hell is chicago state in the WAC?

If you understand the blessing then there is no reason to ask why. Or maybe she wants to move to Chicago. The South Side is a good spot.

Reactions: Coach_Case
well she resigned a month ago, so I'm sure she made the commitment with the new coach.. unless you are showing us old news

There is no new coach yet. They still have a interim head coach.

I hear all Cali state schools are not having
In person classes in the fall... to bad I think a cali state school would have been a good fit

The entire CSU system will not be having in person classes this fall. As this point, that impacts the Mountain West, the Big West, the Big Sky, the WAC, and the CCAA, as all have CSU members or are completely composed of CSU schools, like the CCAA. I saw last night that the CCAA has already postponed all fall sports. The Mountain West is already pondering what to do if Fresno State, San Diego State, and San Jose State are unable to field a football team this fall.

i will say that i reached out to Chicago State multiple times for students who have signed mid majors or low D1 and they never reached back out. Now that is not to say that i am anyone they need to reply back to or that they are the only school that never responds back to me. but it could be a reason why they struggle in the fact that they don't have the organization or systems to track players and recruits, possibly.

i will say that i reached out to Chicago State multiple times for students who have signed mid majors or low D1 and they never reached back out. Now that is not to say that i am anyone they need to reply back to or that they are the only school that never responds back to me. but it could be a reason why they struggle in the fact that they don't have the organization or systems to track players and recruits, possibly.
we dont even know who you are... why would they?

Congrats to Maile. Could be an interesting opportunity.

WAC basketball is a very hodgepodge conference. Definitely see a lot of places and not to many natural rivals

If you understand the blessing then there is no reason to ask why. Or maybe she wants to move to Chicago. The South Side is a good spot.
Of course there's a reason to ask. I asked because it's an absolutely awful program. Zero fan support, zero support from the administration, terrible facilities and a coaching staff that is in flux. Flip it how you want to, but those are all facts. If you dont think those are notable reasons to ask, then I'm not sure what to tell you. With all of those things being factual, it's hard for me to see that being a great collegiate experience for anyone, especially a kid from California. The young lady is a nice player, and i'm sure that she got full scholarship offers from Division II schools that would beat Chicago State by 40. Schools in nice places with good fan support and a winning environment. But I get that some kids just want to say that they went Division I. I for one wish her well.

Reactions: Mommabasketball
Congrats to Maile. Could be an interesting opportunity.

WAC basketball is a very hodgepodge conference. Definitely see a lot of places and not to many natural rivals

The WAC is made up of a bunch of schools who were very recently Division II schools, with the exception of New Mexico State, so no, there arent any natural rivalries. Nothing wrong with Division II basketball, but the WAC is still growing their teams to real Division I quality. Of the 32 Division I conferences, the WAC is ranked 31, only above the SWAC, and Chicago State is ranked 350 of the 354 Division I teams. Not sure what went wrong with that program, but hopefully Greg Ray can turn it around.

while I agree the program is overall dismal, don't speculate on what that young woman finds important in her choice for where to attend college. And maybe it was the only offer. Unless you actually know, which I assume you don't know sh!t, then don't knock a kid for getting a free education.

while I agree the program is overall dismal, don't speculate on what that young woman finds important in her choice for where to attend college. And maybe it was the only offer. Unless you actually know, which I assume you don't know sh!t, then don't knock a kid for getting a free education.

Not sure where I knocked the kid, but go off Hall of Famer.

it's hard for me to see that being a great collegiate experience for anyone, especially a kid from California. The young lady is a nice player, and i'm sure that she got full scholarship offers from Division II schools that would beat Chicago State by 40.
That's the part that I'm referring to.. you don't know what her experience will be like, and you don't know her offer status from other schools. go home rook

Reactions: GBBall4L
maybe she's just not that into you.

Reactions: OnBall8
Of course there's a reason to ask. I asked because it's an absolutely awful program. Zero fan support, zero support from the administration, terrible facilities and a coaching staff that is in flux. Flip it how you want to, but those are all facts. If you dont think those are notable reasons to ask, then I'm not sure what to tell you. With all of those things being factual, it's hard for me to see that being a great collegiate experience for anyone, especially a kid from California. The young lady is a nice player, and i'm sure that she got full scholarship offers from Division II schools that would beat Chicago State by 40. Schools in nice places with good fan support and a winning environment. But I get that some kids just want to say that they went Division I. I for one wish her well.
what list of great d2 schools are your referring to? East Bay, chico, Stanislaus? I would much rather live in Chicago than turlock or chico any day. She cant get her hair done in Chico!!!

what list of great d2 schools are your referring to? East Bay, chico, Stanislaus? I would much rather live in Chicago than turlock or chico any day. She cant get her hair done in Chico!!!
Guess you're not too familiar with better DII programs like Azusa Pacific, Hawaii Pacific, Anchorage, Western Washington, etc. If you know college basketball, you know those programs would crush Chicago State. They win games at a high clip and they're all full scholarship. All good though. Chicago is a great city and she'll definitely be able to get her hair done there. Like I said, I think she's a good player, and good players usually have options at various levels. It just struck me as odd that a kid from Cali would go all the way to Chicago to play for a University that's barely holding on to not only being a DI program, but has been awful for the last 10yrs. Maybe her group comes in and turns it around. Would be a great story.

Maile made announcement yesterday...
So if a kid commits to an interim coach is that binding

It's as binding as the school wants it to be. If the interim becomes the new head coach, then obviously it will stick. But if a new coach comes in, reviews the film, and goes "nah...not interested", then it does not matter if she committed or not. Only when the NLI or offer of financial aide is received does anything matter, and even then, the school can choose to release an athlete from their NLI. However, considering that the school isn't likely to attract a coaching candidate who can rapidly pull in recruits, the NLI will most likely be sent out.

The WAC is made up of a bunch of schools who were very recently Division II schools, with the exception of New Mexico State, so no, there arent any natural rivalries. Nothing wrong with Division II basketball, but the WAC is still growing their teams to real Division I quality. Of the 32 Division I conferences, the WAC is ranked 31, only above the SWAC, and Chicago State is ranked 350 of the 354 Division I teams. Not sure what went wrong with that program, but hopefully Greg Ray can turn it around.

Chicago State is in no uncertain terms, a mess. The biggest issue is a lack of funding. The school is completely dependent on state funding to exist and even then, operates on less than half of their needed funds. Enrollment dropped by 60% a couple of years back and has never rebounded. To put it into perspective...for the 2019-20 school year, CSU Monterey Bay, the smallest of the D2s in the CSU system, had 7,216 enrolled students. The largest high school in Chicago, Lane Tech, had 4,429 students. Chicago State had 2,967...a 3 student increase over the prior year.

Even more perspective...before the head coach resigned, the women's basketball staff at Chicago State consisted of her and her two assistants. UC San Diego, who is just starting their first year in the D1 transition process, has a head coach, an associate head coach, 3 assistants, and a Director of Basketball Operations. Until it was mentioned when their former AD Christopher Zorich resigned, Chicago State did not have enough athletic trainers to travel with teams when they left campus for away games.

So yes, it is a D1 and this young lady is going to be able to say that she is a D1 athlete. But this is not going to be anything near what people envision a D1 experience to be for her.

That's the part that I'm referring to.. you don't know what her experience will be like, and you don't know her offer status from other schools. go home rook

And the fun begins: Is this the part where your girls basketball expertise kicks in, or the part where i'm supposed to get intimidated because youre some kind of guru because you spend an inordinate amount of time here? I mean, being a Hall of Famer on this message board has to count for something, right? What is it? Discount coffee at McDonalds or a free donut at 7-11 every 3rd Wednesday? Something important has to come from you opining with such force on such important topics as girls basketball, right? Here's what I do know: The program is and has been awful. The school has mentioned dropping sports many times in the past 5 years. The coach is there on an interim tag: It's a shaky situation all around. Hence the question regarding that particular decision. It wasnt a knock on the kid, it had more to do with the instability of the program. I'm hoping for her sake that her experience is phenomenal; that the team is much improved, and that she plays a significant role in bettering that program.

It's as binding as the school wants it to be. If the interim becomes the new head coach, then obviously it will stick. But if a new coach comes in, reviews the film, and goes "nah...not interested", then it does not matter if she committed or not. Only when the NLI or offer of financial aide is received does anything matter, and even then, the school can choose to release an athlete from their NLI. However, considering that the school isn't likely to attract a coaching candidate who can rapidly pull in recruits, the NLI will most likely be sent out.

Chicago State is in no uncertain terms, a mess. The biggest issue is a lack of funding. The school is completely dependent on state funding to exist and even then, operates on less than half of their needed funds. Enrollment dropped by 60% a couple of years back and has never rebounded. To put it into perspective...for the 2019-20 school year, CSU Monterey Bay, the smallest of the D2s in the CSU system, had 7,216 enrolled students. The largest high school in Chicago, Lane Tech, had 4,429 students. Chicago State had 2,967...a 3 student increase over the prior year.

Even more perspective...before the head coach resigned, the women's basketball staff at Chicago State consisted of her and her two assistants. UC San Diego, who is just starting their first year in the D1 transition process, has a head coach, an associate head coach, 3 assistants, and a Director of Basketball Operations. Until it was mentioned when their former AD Christopher Zorich resigned, Chicago State did not have enough athletic trainers to travel with teams when they left campus for away games.

So yes, it is a D1 and this young lady is going to be able to say that she is a D1 athlete. But this is not going to be anything near what people envision a D1 experience to be for her.

Very well put. THAT was my point. How folks took it that I was knocking the kid is beyond me. They obviously dont know Chicago States backstory.

Bottom line is this. There is a way to pose a question but still be positive and congratulatory towards someone's accomplishment without underhandly saying it was as dumb move. It just seems to me like some would rather tear down this young ladies decision rather than understand she made the choice that she felt was right for her. Whether it was buying into the interim coach. Or having the heart of a lion and believing she could make a positive impact. Maybe she also took into consideration that if it doesn't work maybe she can take her experience and transfer to a D2 or another D1. Either way she has an offer to the school apparently wanted to be at and it I'm happy for her.

Reactions: redjuice
Bottom line is this. There is a way to pose a question but still be positive and congratulatory towards someone's accomplishment without underhandly saying it was as dumb move. It just seems to me like some would rather tear down this young ladies decision rather than understand she made the choice that she felt was right for her. Whether it was buying into the interim coach. Or having the heart of a lion and believing she could make a positive impact. Maybe she also took into consideration that if it doesn't work maybe she can take her experience and transfer to a D2 or another D1. Either way she has an offer to the school apparently wanted to be at and it I'm happy for her.

You dont know me, so to say that I made some kind of underhand disrespectful comment is stupid. If that's how you and others took it, so be it. I'm not responsible for your feelings or how you took things. Nothing I said was untrue. Shaky program; poorly supported; period. Guess none of you gatekeepers mentioned that I said the young lady was a good player. That part went out the window, huh? I hope she goes and kicks butt there. It would be great. But again, I said what I said.

Guess you're not too familiar with better DII programs like Azusa Pacific, Hawaii Pacific, Anchorage, Western Washington, etc. If you know college basketball, you know those programs would crush Chicago State. They win games at a high clip and they're all full scholarship. All good though. Chicago is a great city and she'll definitely be able to get her hair done there. Like I said, I think she's a good player, and good players usually have options at various levels. It just struck me as odd that a kid from Cali would go all the way to Chicago to play for a University that's barely holding on to not only being a DI program, but has been awful for the last 10yrs. Maybe her group comes in and turns it around. Would be a great story.
You are right. I dont know anything about womens basketball. But I know division 1 in Chicago is better than division 2 in Bellingham.

You dont know me, so to say that I made some kind of underhand disrespectful comment is stupid. If that's how you and others took it, so be it. I'm not responsible for your feelings or how you took things. Nothing I said was untrue. Shaky program; poorly supported; period. Guess none of you gatekeepers mentioned that I said the young lady was a good player. That part went out the window, huh? I hope she goes and kicks butt there. It would be great. But again, I said what I said.

Not that it matters but you only posted a total of 8 times on NorCal Preps and your first post ever was what sparked this. So that tells me this was personal enough for your to create an account just to post what you posted. You're right. I don't know you and I don't care to know you either. All I said was that what was said could have been said in a more positive manner. I didn't even call you out specifically so your response tells me you felt some type of way about it.

Personal? Because it's my 1st post and I say the kid is a good player but it's a terrible program, that makes it personal? Been a member of this page since 2011 detective. You dudes and your assumptions are something else, So you think I waited 9 years to post about this kid? Before this kid was even 9 years old, you feel like I waited all these years to make it personal? Yeah that sounds believable.

Why the hate? Chicago State is a good school and a great opportunity for any aspiring D1 player. It does matter if the full ride is a basketball scholarship or a combination of academic and financial aid as it was not clear in the thread above. Regardless, we should celebrate we have another kid from our region pursuing her athletic dream and earning a degree in the process. Great for her.

You are right. I dont know anything about womens basketball. But I know division 1 in Chicago is better than division 2 in Bellingham.

So please...enlighten us. What is better?

Is it the scholarship? We all know D1 means full scholarship, but a D2 player can be on a full ride as well, or walk away with little to no debt after college. D2s can put players on a full ride, if the coach so chooses. A fully funded D2 has 10 full cost of attendance scholarships to work with.

Is it the gear? Low level D1s don't have sponsorship deals. Sure, every sport may wear the same brand, but that doesn't mean a deal that provides near unlimited gear. They're getting a purchasing discount on their gear, which is the same as a D2. Don't believe it? A quick look at Chicago State's athletic site shows the women's team players wearing Jordan brand uniforms. The men are wearing Nike. You think the guys didn't want Jordan unis in Chicago of all places?

Maybe it's the facilities? Chicago State does have a nice, looking arena that holds 7000 people, and to be fair, Western Washington's facility only holds a shade over 2500. So maybe you have something there. But really...it's the same length court, with similar baskets and a similar ball.

So...save for the "I went D1" bit...what is the difference?

Reactions: Mommabasketball
So please...enlighten us. What is better?

Is it the scholarship? We all know D1 means full scholarship, but a D2 player can be on a full ride as well, or walk away with little to no debt after college. D2s can put players on a full ride, if the coach so chooses. A fully funded D2 has 10 full cost of attendance scholarships to work with.

Is it the gear? Low level D1s don't have sponsorship deals. Sure, every sport may wear the same brand, but that doesn't mean a deal that provides near unlimited gear. They're getting a purchasing discount on their gear, which is the same as a D2. Don't believe it? A quick look at Chicago State's athletic site shows the women's team players wearing Jordan brand uniforms. The men are wearing Nike. You think the guys didn't want Jordan unis in Chicago of all places?

Maybe it's the facilities? Chicago State does have a nice, looking arena that holds 7000 people, and to be fair, Western Washington's facility only holds a shade over 2500. So maybe you have something there. But really...it's the same length court, with similar baskets and a similar ball.

So...save for the "I went D1" bit...what is the difference?
Chicago-Bellingham. Pretty Black and White. Or maybe her major is better suited at Chicago State. Or her auntie works there.

Personal? Because it's my 1st post and I say the kid is a good player but it's a terrible program, that makes it personal? Been a member of this page since 2011 detective. You dudes and your assumptions are something else, So you think I waited 9 years to post about this kid? Before this kid was even 9 years old, you feel like I waited all these years to make it personal? Yeah that sounds believable.
I think you said you dont know WHY SHE picked it. So we put our useless ideas on why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT