ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Mulkerrins is out at St. Ignatius

Another case of parents running the asylum. I have known Mike most of his life and I am just shocked as to how this was handled and for a person with this much success it sucks that he was dismissed in such a way.

This is a sad day for SI Girls basketball. Imagine if these girls were in college and parents voiced their opinions about playing time. This is just outrageous how good coaches are let go because of parents feeling entitled. Parents also seem to be a part of the reason there is a severe shortage of referees also in sports.

Having been a parent, coached, officiated and attended many clinics the best advice I ever got was at a Coach K class designed for parents. If you are a parent, coach, or official, please know which role you play on any given day.

“ As a coach your responsibility is to coach your teams to the highest level possible.”

“As a parent, your job is to support your child playing and help them work to get to the highest potential they can be. Respect both coach and officials decisions whether or not you agree.”

“As an official your job is to teach the game but not coach it and be impartial in your calls to ensure fair play between the two teams”

The reason many are leaving coaching and officiating is because parents feel they are entitled to be coach and official as well as parent. These are very different and distinct roles. You may fit in all three categories, however it is your job to realize what role you are in at any given time. Just because you are more than one of these roles, does not give you the right to be more than one role at the same time.

This was talked about on another thread, but not a great situation at SI.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/...ls-basketball-coach-on-dismissal-15192973.php

No halfway decent administrator would even listen to parental complaints about playing time, much less bring them to the coach, much less dismiss a coach over it, much less do it with games left to play in the season.

As I have said many times, the problem in the system is not parents. You'll always have some good ones and some bad ones. The problem is weak and incompetent administrators who let parents run over them.

In private schools, administrators must be responsive to parents because they pay the bills. Though coaches and fans feel that private schools have all the advantages -- and they do have many -- the administrative side is much different. In public schools, benign neglect is usually the case, as administrators are hugely overworked, but in the private arena, if an influential parent (a board member, say, or parent of multiple children who attend or may attend the school) has input, it will be listened to.

And the literal bottom line is this: If two or three parents are upset enough that they are willing to pull their child from the school and cost the school $50,000 for each withdrawal, that's a serious chunk of change. So would you fire an at-will employee to save $100,000? Easy call, really ...

In private schools, administrators must be responsive to parents because they pay the bills. Though coaches and fans feel that private schools have all the advantages -- and they do have many -- the administrative side is much different. In public schools, benign neglect is usually the case, as administrators are hugely overworked, but in the private arena, if an influential parent (a board member, say, or parent of multiple children who attend or may attend the school) has input, it will be listened to.

And the literal bottom line is this: If two or three parents are upset enough that they are willing to pull their child from the school and cost the school $50,000 for each withdrawal, that's a serious chunk of change. So would you fire an at-will employee to save $100,000? Easy call, really ...

I understand what you are saying, but don't agree that going for the short term "fix" is smart decision making. Once any administration shows it will respond to parental bullying things are going to unravel quickly. Other parents will learn the lesson and start piling on. Still other parents will resent the spineless behavior and take their kids elsewhere. And once it works for playing time, why not class selection, grades, or anything else that will pad a college application? How many hits to its reputation can any private school sustain and be successful in the long run?

I wonder if the new coach at SI understands what she is getting into, and that she is really not going to be in charge.

Heard about this a while ago, it’s absolute BS. Schools don’t realize how dismissing these coaches is hurting their programs and not helping them. Who is SI going to get as a coach that can even compare to Mike’s experience, character, and love for his Alma mater?? Besides that, he is a great X’s and O’s guy, who really has done a lot with less than people give him credit for. The next person is likely to be in wayyy over their heads. What a shame.

Not the case at SI. If those complaining fathers want to pull their daughters from the school those new open slots in the student body could be filled in a heartbeat.

Reactions: TransitionD
It's entirely possible that we, hovering on the outside and speculating, don't know the full story in this case.

That is true, but given the way successful coaches in the past have been tossed aside just because a parent complains about their kid not getting playing time or enough playing time, it is now become apparent coaches are serving at the will of the parents and in doing so, coaches are sacrificing putting the best team out on the court to win all to appease the parent sitting in the stands.

Reactions: Scott2138
It's entirely possible that we, hovering on the outside and speculating, don't know the full story in this case.
Also agree this could be true but come on.. after over a decade of service at your Alma mater?! It clearly was not mutual.. Do you think he just went rogue and committed some fireable offense?? If the offense was that egregious he wouldn’t have been allowed to finish the season..

SI or it’s parents probably wants someone who will try to run their own AAU program.. same reason why all these parents start their own clubs, they THINK it’s easy to just go get talent. They don’t realize that it’s about DEVELOPING talent. Something very few people know about.

Also agree this could be true but come on.. after over a decade of service at your Alma mater?! It clearly was not mutual.. Do you think he just went rogue and committed some fireable offense?? If the offense was that egregious he wouldn’t have been allowed to finish the season..

SI or it’s parents probably wants someone who will try to run their own AAU program.. same reason why all these parents start their own clubs, they THINK it’s easy to just go get talent. They don’t realize that it’s about DEVELOPING talent. Something very few people know about.

Top AAU teams don't develop talent...they find talent that's already been refined or in the process. High School athletics is completely different, or is it? At a high performing school like SI, I would agree that it's about developing talent and team chemistry...Coach M seemed to do a great job of working with what he had.

If a decision had been made to replace Mike before the season ended, then you pretty much have to tell him then rather than have him hear it from someone else.

The merits of the decision are a different story, and though, as pointed out, we don't know much about the process, the way it went down does not reflect well on SI. It's one thing to let a coach go because the program isn't as good as the administrators think it should be; it's quite another to let a coach go because of parental complaints about playing time.

There are some administrators, both public and private, who actually believe that competitive team sports at the high school level should be learning experiences and not just about wins and losses. What a concept.

Top AAU teams don't develop talent...they find talent that's already been refined or in the process. High School athletics is completely different, or is it?
I didn’t say a “Top” AAU program.. sue, doc, Monica mertle, and Craig Campbell don’t run TOP AAU programs.. they run programs that benefit their high school teams (TOP teams I might add), a part of their continued success, a tool they use to DEVELOP their talent. But it’s not something that just anyone can go out and do overnight.. but some seem to expect that.

There might be a couple high school coaches who can wave a magic wand and turn a program around in a year or two, but for most of us, it's a longer process.

You have to start getting middle school girls to think about your program, and in the meantime, you have to work with the talent you've inherited -- and if a program has been struggling, there's probably not that much.

Of course you can start working within the school on the freshmen athletes and convince them to start playing basketball, but few girls are difference-makers when they start playing high school basketball as sophomores.

And then there's the Xs and Os part, putting in your system at both ends, creating a culture, etc. -- and that's usually a two-year process as well.

After three years, there should be some progress, and after four, wins should be arriving, but so much is dependent on the talent flow. If it takes two years to get the middle school girls to start seriously considering your program, that's two more years. And if the middle schools don't happen to have much talent for a couple years, it gets even harder.

My hat is off to you coaches out there. I don't see how you do it. In this age of aspirational parenting, I don't think that I know a single parent who believes that their kid gets sufficient playing time (and if I am being honest then I probably have to count myself in this). And the conviction that parents have is probably inversely related to basketball knowledge.

My hat is off to you coaches out there. I don't see how you do it. In this age of aspirational parenting, I don't think that I know a single parent who believes that their kid gets sufficient playing time (and if I am being honest then I probably have to count myself in this). And the conviction that parents have is probably inversely related to basketball knowledge.

It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Reactions: GBBall4L
I blame it on the Warriors.

I blame it on the Warriors.

normally I don't agree with half the idiotic statements ankle and becool make, but there is some truth to this. I've noticed that since the Warriors rise, it's gotten the bay area more interested in basketball which equates to more viewership. The NBA to me, is pure entertainment and not real basketball. Yes they're the best athletes, best shooters, jumpers, ect. but the true games are played at the HS and college level. People who watch the NBA (and never played or don't know much about the game) automatically become experts after watching a season or two.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that say the most stupid things about how the game should be played. IF my kids team ran the warriors offense they'd win, or my kid shoots 500 three's a day causes he wants to be like Curry. I don't watch the NBA as much as I do HS or college and for good reason.

normally I don't agree with half the idiotic statements ankle and becool make, but there is some truth to this. I've noticed that since the Warriors rise, it's gotten the bay area more interested in basketball which equates to more viewership. The NBA to me, is pure entertainment and not real basketball. Yes they're the best athletes, best shooters, jumpers, ect. but the true games are played at the HS and college level. People who watch the NBA (and never played or don't know much about the game) automatically become experts after watching a season or two.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that say the most stupid things about how the game should be played. IF my kids team ran the warriors offense they'd win, or my kid shoots 500 three's a day causes he wants to be like Curry. I don't watch the NBA as much as I do HS or college and for good reason.
You must be talking about women's pro basketball.
To say the NBA isnt pure i dont know how to address that. Speaking of idiotic

You must be talking about women's pro basketball.
To say the NBA isnt pure i dont know how to address that. Speaking of idiotic

You are an idiot because you can't comprehend a basic sentence and do things like compare LA smog to the coronavirus. I said it's PURE ENTERTAINMENT and not real basketball. I never said the NBA wasn't pure. And no, wasn't talking about the WNBA. In MY opinion, HS and college players, play for the love of the game. A lot of college kids play hard and work hard because many of them know that there's gold at the end of the rainbow (Ankle...not real gold-there isn't real gold at the end of a rainbow). In the NBA, it's the highest level a person can play at. You're not playing for the love (some do) but you're playing for a paycheck-a JOB.

I think the Warriors' success might have a little to do with this, but I think this is more driven by parental anxiety and aspiration. I might be wrong but I suspect that soccer and lacrosse coaches face similar challenges to basketball coaches.

I think the Warriors' success might have a little to do with this, but I think this is more driven by parental anxiety and aspiration. I might be wrong but I suspect that soccer and lacrosse coaches face similar challenges to basketball coaches.

The difference is that most basketball parents have some experience playing the game. Basketball and baseball are far more easy for parents to second guess than lacrosse or soccer as parents feel they know as much or more than the coach.

You are an idiot because you can't comprehend a basic sentence and do things like compare LA smog to the coronavirus. I said it's PURE ENTERTAINMENT and not real basketball. I never said the NBA wasn't pure. And no, wasn't talking about the WNBA. In MY opinion, HS and college players, play for the love of the game. A lot of college kids play hard and work hard because many of them know that there's gold at the end of the rainbow (Ankle...not real gold-there isn't real gold at the end of a rainbow). In the NBA, it's the highest level a person can play at. You're not playing for the love (some do) but you're playing for a paycheck-a JOB.
You are an idiot as well. To think someone doesnt love basketball who have made it to the highest level. To simply get there you have to put in years upon years of work. They loved it then so why would they not love it once there. Yes it is more entertaining. We agree.

I think the Warriors' success was a big boost to girls' basketball. First, it inspired a lot of girls to play basketball who weren't that interested before, and Steph Curry inspired a lot of smaller girls to try as well.

Second, and this is purely a coaching thing: For most of my long coaching career, I could never refer to anything in the NBA because girls had no clue about the league. They hadn't seen the game the night before, they didn't know about players and they didn't pick up information about the game from announcers and watching on TV.

But during the Warriors' run, I could be in practice and say "How many of you saw the game last night?" and most if not all would raise their hands. "Remember the play at the end of the game when the guy took a two-pointer when they needed three?"

Heads would nod, and someone would say "That was dumb." Now probably most of the girls never thought much about how dumb it was before that moment, but all of a sudden a connection was made -- what the Warriors do is what we do (sort of).

There were a lot of little moments like that over the years, and when you add the enthusiasm for the game generated by the Warriors, I'm happy to deal with a little unjustified parental belief in their hoops' knowledge.

So you are telling me they weren't all Laker fans 10 years ago? Like most of the new warrior fans.
Ohh and still sucks for Mike getting let go.

So you are telling me they weren't all Laker fans 10 years ago? Like most of the new warrior fans.
Ohh and still sucks for Mike getting let go.

I would say the NBA, as a whole, wasn't as visible as it is today because of social media. didn't have tweets, snapchat, tick-tock, instagram where there are highlights on every post. While the Lakers run was a big thing and probably got people interested in hoops (especially in LA), geographically, the Warriors have impacted Norcal because of winning

Reactions: colhenrylives
Let's be honest here. The NBA is basketball at a level so far above girls' prep hoops, it's almost absurd. As one longtime Peninsula college coach once described young female basketball players trying to do way too much, "They play out of their bodies." He was right back then and he would be right today. Only a select cadre of young girls can even hope to come close to emulating the big-time pros.

Of course that's true -- but girls were paying attention to the NBA during the Warriors' run, and thus to basketball. Nothing an NBA player does physically can translate to the girls' game -- but there are mental aspects that can (time and score, etc.).

Reactions: colhenrylives
That was my rant... parents and kids now watch or attend a few warriors games and are confused on how good their own child actually is. or that their child shouldnt be shooting like Klay because she cant. Then they complain and get the coach fired.
Sidenote... i saw on the boys article that the AD is the brother of the former girls coach

Parents are always confused -- it's a matter of degree.

And really, what do you expect from parents? If they don't believe in their child, who will? In fact, if they didn't think their daughter was better than she actually is (in basketball and everything else), they are extremely unusual ...

Parents love their children and they want what's best for them, not what's best for the team or the coach. And that's how it should be ...

And really, what do you expect from parents? If they don't believe in their child, who will? In fact, if they didn't think their daughter was better than she actually is (in basketball and everything else), they are extremely unusual ...

Parents love their children and they want what's best for them, not what's best for the team or the coach. And that's how it should be ...

Parents don't want you to play the 5 best players. Parents want you to play the 4 best players and their child.

that was my arguement for Lavar Ball. He had the most confidence in his sons and let everyone know it. That is how is should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT