ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Mulkerrins is out at St. Ignatius

If every parent of a high school athlete was like Lavar Ball, there would be no high school sports at all.
at least he actually played basketball. the parents i hear look like they only played sega or atari. oh and been to a warrior game and wears under armour.

OK, how many of us are totally objective when it comes to our children's abilities?

They get good grades in math -- do we think they're smart because of that? Do we know anything about the math they teach? If they take advanced calculus in high school, do we look at their grades with professional, unbiased eyes?

Their teachers say they write really well. We read a paper they've written. We think it's good. How good is it really? Professional editors might be able to make a judgement, but again, it's their children.

Their middle school coaches say they're really good at basketball. We watch them play but have limited background in the sport. They look good to us, so we think they're good. Even coaches overestimate their children sometimes.

To expect parents to understand just how good their children are at anything is expecting way too much. They will be too harsh or too positive, very likely. And their reactions when their judgments are proved to be incorrect are predictable -- either they're wrong about their children, or authority figures are wrong about their children.

Would you passively accept a teacher/counselor saying your child will never go to college and should become a plumber (nothing wrong with being a plumber, of course)? Would you just nod your head and buy your daughter some tools?

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
OK, how many of us are totally objective when it comes to our children's abilities?

They get good grades in math -- do we think they're smart because of that? Do we know anything about the math they teach? If they take advanced calculus in high school, do we look at their grades with professional, unbiased eyes?

Their teachers say they write really well. We read a paper they've written. We think it's good. How good is it really? Professional editors might be able to make a judgement, but again, it's their children.

Their middle school coaches say they're really good at basketball. We watch them play but have limited background in the sport. They look good to us, so we think they're good. Even coaches overestimate their children sometimes.

To expect parents to understand just how good their children are at anything is expecting way too much. They will be too harsh or too positive, very likely. And their reactions when their judgments are proved to be incorrect are predictable -- either they're wrong about their children, or authority figures are wrong about their children.

Would you passively accept a teacher/counselor saying your child will never go to college and should become a plumber (nothing wrong with being a plumber, of course)? Would you just nod your head and buy your daughter some tools?
you are genius!

I think if you've actually played sports at a high level you will have a some what realistic understanding of your child's ability. Because it's your child you will definitely have to compartmentalized but if you have played sports at a high level there should be a true understanding. Like @ankleassassin said Lavar ball may have put extras on it but Lonzo is still in the NBA and was a first round pick.

Of course you had to have had a realistic assessment of your own ability in high school ...

A fair amount of parents who were on high school teams still believe they should have played more but their coach played his favorites.

Is that as true for girls basketball players as it is for boys?

Of course you had to have had a realistic assessment of your own ability in high school ...

A fair amount of parents who were on high school teams still believe they should have played more but their coach played his favorites.

Very true

every single player on my adult league team as well as every single player in the league feels like our coach did us dirty in high school...
LOL.. Its why we take it out on each other like we are still 18

A friend of mine once said about softball players: "We all think we're better than we are" -- and I think it's pretty much true of everyone about almost anything. If true, even if true only for a significant percentage of people, coaches should always expect blowback from parents and players about playing time. It's human nature ...

And I'm not so sure that it was that different back in the good old days, which everyone loves to refer to, when supposedly parents never complained, kids just worked hard and kept their mouths shut, and coaches had free rein to do whatever they felt was best. I would concede that there was more blind acceptance of authority in the 1950s and much of the '60s, but to assume that was a good thing might be pushing it a little.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT