ADVERTISEMENT

Milpitas vs. Serra - Consolation JOKE

Dec 4, 2014
Milpitas will play Serra tomorrow in a "consolation game." The problem is, one team is playing all of its starters and out for blood, while the other has a laundry lists of injuries and will be starting their JV OL. The game will be a farce and now the risk of injuries will be greatly increased, so much so that one team will not start their QB because of the JV OL that will be playing.

Thank you CCS and Nancy. Your POS idea has completely endangered kids. You can't even get your section champion into a bowl game but you have decided to do a dry run to get your losers in the future. Your greed and lack of foresight is endangering kids. I hope these teams make a mockery of the game that is one to begin with.

Maybe we can have another thrilling game like tonight where one team plays its starters, while the other plays a JV team. One team will get crushed, and the other will be thrilled at their awesome performance. And Prep2Prep has the audacity/stupidity to broadcast this? For what? It's a joke.

Great job CCS, you have put the kids at risk. I pray that someone doesn't get seriously injured tomorrow. It's funny... normally the CCS reps walk around and strut like they own the damned place. Last week, the rep literally walked in, collected the money, and got out of dodge. It makes me sick!

If any player gets seriously injured in these consolation games, coaches should just forfeit the games going forward and not show up.

When I first read of the consolation games I had the same opinion as you stated but after attending the game last night I now look at them from a different perspective. No, it was not a hotly contested game. The home team appeared to have much more motivation than the visitors which is to be expected in a game probably best described as an encore or curtain call. Seniors just wanted to be out on the field one last time. The starters for both sides played the 1st and the 3rd. Lots of kids from both sides that don't see the field were able to get some playing time. Some JV players from both sides got in a couple series.

After watching the kids from both teams walk around the field at the end of the game among each other giving each other congratulatory handshakes and talking you got the feeling they just love being out there. Pictures were taken, belly slides in the mud were done, none of them really wanted to leave the field. So in the end I have a better appreciation of the consolidation game and see nothing wrong with having one last night under the lights.

I agree with 2wats. Benefits the kids from JV and next year's seniors (the ones that didn't move on already to other sports) and seniors (ones that didn't move on to other sports) that want to get some playing in before they graduate. For those teams that are in it, they get a little work in and kind of a benchmark for those that move up from JV for where they need to get better. I know that kickoffs and punt returns were limited to reduce injury so all in all it is more like a scrimmage. As far as meaning anything, the teams involved are playing hard but none are at full strength. This year the whole concept doesn't make sense and not sure it will next season as well.

Milpitas wants to be 12-1. If past records are correct, that would be the most wins in school history, or mighty close. The current CCS Open system is made to order for a situation like this one. Not good. It could get very ugly.

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:
Benefits the kids from JV and next year's seniors (the ones that didn't move on already to other sports) and seniors (ones that didn't move on to other sports) that want to get some playing in before they graduate. For those teams that are in it, they get a little work in and kind of a benchmark for those that move up from JV for where they need to get better. I know that kickoffs and punt returns were limited to reduce injury so all in all it is more like a scrimmage. As far as meaning anything, the teams involved are playing hard but none are at full strength. This year the whole concept doesn't make sense and not sure it will next season as well.
A game like this does benefit the JVs and current juniors but isn't one game enough? Two games aren't necessary especially if both teams have different outlooks on how this exhibition game should be played.

My understanding is that the Milpitas-Serra game will be played with no limitations or exceptions in the kicking game. I'm not sure who made that decision or if the two coaches have even spoke. This was told to me by one of the current players. Also, does Milpitas have the depth that Serra has in terms of second and third string players? I actually enjoyed the Serra-Palma game last week and was impressed by the sportsmanship shown on both sides. At this point though it's time to get ready for basketball, wresting, conditioning, etc.

All this speculation on whether this is good or bad will end quickly if one of the players damages their Spine and cant walk or is in a wheel chair for life. This is not basketball it is a vicious contact sport that causes many concussions, fractures and worst than that. Even in the friendly Palma/Serra game kids came of the field hurt.

I for one will tell you if it was my son that got hurt I would sue the CCS for all that they can gather up in monies, but that would not help my injured son, This decision by the CCS to play, and practice lets see if it works real games with real equipment has no merit and makes absolutely no sense. Kids are kids and when the rivalry or egos start to step up then the damage can happen.

No reason was given for the cancellation. It is a good decision though.

SERRA FORFEIT

Canceled: Milpitas-Serra CCS Football Open Division Consolation Championship game

Tonight's scheduled CCS Football Open Division Consolation Championship game between Junipero Serra and Milpitas High School has been canceled. The game had been scheduled at Milpitas at 7 p.m. This game will not be rescheduled, according to a CCS media alert.
Milpitas High School Athletic Director Jeff Lamb at about 1 p.m. today said Serra forfeited about an hour prior.

This post was edited on 12/5 1:51 PM by Where Are They Now

SJMNSPORTS

Re: SERRA FORFEIT

So, according to previous reports, Serra will not be eligible for the playoffs next year? Or was that just someone blowing a horn?

I have to laugh, just a little, at all of you that are really concerned about injury. Why are your kids playing football in the first place then? Get your kids participating in a noncontact sport. I remember playing tackle football with no pads, out in a field. Now, of course, I hope that no one does get seriously hurt

Originally posted by Dooer:
I have to laugh, just a little, at all of you that are really concerned about injury. Why are your kids playing football in the first place then? Get your kids participating in a noncontact sport. I remember playing tackle football with no pads, out in a field. Now, of course, I hope that no one does get seriously hurt
I have to laugh just a little at how CCS wants to limit contact next
year (to reduce injuries) but doesn't seem to mind if someone gets hurt in an
effort to justify the existence of the Open Division. We shouldn't even
be having this discussion right now. This thread is appropriately
titled because this whole thing is a joke.

Every game there's a chance of someone being injured. It's an unfortunate reality of the sport that we all love. Here you have a situation where these games are being played because CCS is trying to push its agenda on the CIF. There's no other reason. Every player, coach and parent knows there's risk of injury on every snap in every football game. To take that risk so CCS can hope to change policy regarding state bowl eligibility is not worth it at all. I'm glad they took a stand. CCS officials, whoever they are, can make a statement without involving the kids.

Are you serious or just blowing smoke. Yes if this was a real game, with real standings and real meaning for sure the game goes on. But for a game that has no standings and no meaning risking the health of a child is criminal. not only is the CCS liable but those that voted for it become liable if something does happen. Maybe they should have considered this before voting.

If Milpitas wanted to get a 12 win season this is not the way to do it by starting and playing their first teams against JV and Frosh players. It would have been better for them to get to12 wins by beating Bellarmine.

So, if the game means the difference between 5th and 6th place in a C league real game, by your logic, shouldn't it still be criminal for risking the health of a child. Does this game really have meaning? The CCS says that this is the consolation final of their open tournament, it sounds like it has meaning, whether it actually does or not.

I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here, but is there much difference between Milpitas playing starters vs. Serra's 2nd stringers and JV, then Serra playing So. San Francisco in the preseason.

Hey, I don't know for sure if the CCS was right or wrong about having these games. Maybe it's for the wrong reason, but it's a game. I can think of a lot of Sr's that didn't see a lot of playing time during the year, jumping at the chance to actually put on the uniform and playing in one last game.

So who voted for this anyways, athletic directors, coaches, league representatives or ?

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't blame coach Walsh for this decision. This game is nonsense. I can see a benefit of playing, but it really means nothing when neither team is at full strength and many players already are playing their other sports. It's an exhibition/scrimmage for all intensive purposes. I hope there are no sanctions. This consolidation bracket is ill conceived for this year and probably any year. I am a CCS Fan, but maybe it is a good thing if no CCS teams get a play-in bid. Maybe that that would create some discussion and possible change in the playoff format to get rid of the Open Division. Only problem is the CCS Open Division was very competitive for the most part at every round. It seems to have done its job this year.

I will let it go, but to answer your one point if Serra plays So San Francisco in the preseason that is a decision that both schools made. DLS plays many schools that they beat up on but those are scheduled EBAL games.

In this case this ill conceived practice to see if it works for next years possible inclusion by the CIF for playoff consideration was not agreed upon before the season by Serra to play their JV and Frosh against 300 pound lineman like in a real game. maybe a good flag football game between the teams would make more sense!

Rumor has it that when the consolation games started, Walsh was going to play his JV team, and some freshman mixed with a couple of Juniors. No seniors were going to play. The Palma coach agreed and did the same. I guess the milpitas coach didn't like that philosophy and was going to play his starting unit.

Can't say I'm disappointed the game was cancelled - how could anyone get excited over a consolation game with trophies for 3rd or 4th place in which starters on one or both teams might not be playing? Hopefully this concept will be nixed for next season.

Originally posted by serdaprs:
Rumor has it that when the consolation games started, Walsh was going to play his JV team, and some freshman mixed with a couple of Juniors. No seniors were going to play. The Palma coach agreed and did the same. I guess the milpitas coach didn't like that philosophy and was going to play his starting unit.
Coach King from Milpitas was definitely going to play his underclassmen in this game, but not exclusively. Milpitas was going for the win, but the coaches also planned on getting more looks at their underclassmen. This is based on inside knowledge from Milpitas coaches.

Originally posted by SCherundolo:
Like last week when they left their first OL and DL the whole Game?
And played a freshman RB. Don't leave that out.

If potential injury to any player (regardless of age) in a meaningless game is the stated issue for Coach Walsh in his decision to forfeit, why did Serra play Palma at all? There is a lack of consistency in his argument in this case. A freshman or sophomore can tear an Achilles or endure a concussion too. It's not just a senior issue. This situation is troubling for sure.

A tweet posted by SJ Mercury reporter.

#CCS
Commissioner Nancy Lazenby Blaser said Serra-Milpitas cancellation will be a
forfeit win for Milpitas & Serra faces potential sanctions

That is a simple answer to your question, Palma and Serra agreed to minimize injury potential by playing their starters against each other for less than one quarter , Milpitas as I understand from reading other posts, would not agree to that.format

The frosh and JV players for Serra and Palma played all of the 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters with a few exceptions on both teams. Kick offs went out of bounds and punts were fair caught. Rushing the punter or place kicker was disallowed players took a knee, In fact , Serra played a Frosh QB for almost all of the game and the Palma QB and their receivers played at most two series. If Frosh and JV players play each other that seems to be OK and is a good test for them. But if Milpitas decided to play their starters the whole game like they did against Oak Grove to get a "Win" and especially a "Win against a Private" as one poster crowed about when Los Gatos played their starters against VC's JVs and Frosh and got a wonderful no meaning "Win", then the risk of injury goes up exponentially. The size and speed of a Varsity player against a Frosh or JV players is no match and has great potential of causing concussions and more serious injuries.

Palma and Serra coaches acted as responsible adults protecting their players and knew the "game " meant absolutely nothing. The same cant' be said of the Milpitas coach.

I did not see the game, but I understand that in the VC-LG game, both teams played the majority(?) of their starters in the 1st and 3rd. quarters. Reserves in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Where did you get your info on this game? I saw that VC entered their stats for this game on Max Preps and Machado was 1-5 passing and Johnson had a catch for 5 yds. No stats were entered for LG, but I understand that the 2nd quarter TD was by the LG 2nd unit rather then the starters.

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
If potential injury to any player (regardless of age) in a meaningless game is the stated issue for Coach Walsh in his decision to forfeit, why did Serra play Palma at all? There is a lack of consistency in his argument in this case. A freshman or sophomore can tear an Achilles or endure a concussion too. It's not just a senior issue. This situation is troubling for sure.
I've seen numerous comments regarding these consolation games & it appears some are fan's opinions and some appear to not be accurate. From the start I could not get excited about these games for 3rd & 4th place "honors" [if you can call it that]. One post indicated Serra played its starters in the Palma game, however if you read all the related posts you'll see that numerous Serra starter's were in street clothes on the sidelines. Another post stated Kava Cassidy played in the game and he was one of the senior's in street clothes. It sounds as if coach Walsh of Serra and the Palma coach discussed the game beforehand & came to agreement on how they would play the game with some starters/seniors in specific quarters & underclassmen in the other quarters, which makes sense to some degree. What I think may have happened & just a guess is that Walsh received no such assurances from the Milpitas coach as to any specific parameters of what they would do with their players. If that were the case then I think Walsh weighed the importance of the game and whether he wanted to risk freshman & soph players against Milpitas starters.
Either way Serra forfeited & could miss playoffs next year because of it if CCS commissioner Nancy Lazenby Blaser has her way [strange over the year's the only time I hear her name is when some really bad decision comes down that almost none of the fans agree with].
Here is this morning's article that appeared in local papers:
http://www.mercurynews.com/high-school-sports/ci_27077610/ccs-football-playoffs-serra-forfeits-consolation-game-against

Originally posted by Spartanwhoknows:
That is a simple answer to your question, Palma and Serra agreed to minimize injury potential by playing their starters against each other for less than one quarter , Milpitas as I understand from reading other posts, would not agree to that.format

The frosh and JV players for Serra and Palma played all of the 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters with a few exceptions on both teams. Kick offs went out of bounds and punts were fair caught. Rushing the punter or place kicker was disallowed players took a knee, In fact , Serra played a Frosh QB for almost all of the game and the Palma QB and their receivers played at most two series. If Frosh and JV players play each other that seems to be OK and is a good test for them. But if Milpitas decided to play their starters the whole game like they did against Oak Grove to get a "Win" and especially a "Win against a Private" as one poster crowed about when Los Gatos played their starters against VC's JVs and Frosh and got a wonderful no meaning "Win", then the risk of injury goes up exponentially. The size and speed of a Varsity player against a Frosh or JV players is no match and has great potential of causing concussions and more serious injuries.

Palma and Serra coaches acted as responsible adults protecting their players and knew the "game " meant absolutely nothing. The same cant' be said of the Milpitas coach.
Sparta, not sure where you got your info. I was at the game. What starters were available for both sides played 1st & 3rd. Lots of kids in street clothes for game. Watched the kids from both sides after the game. Don't think any off them gave a crap about the score. They were just enjoying their last time under the lights. All this talk back and forth is amusing. These games ment nothing but the kids didn't care. They got a chance that any of us that played would love, another game

If the Padres hated the consolation concept with such passion, why didn't they simply refuse to participate in the CCS playoffs in the first place? Some consistency would have been helpful and appreciated.

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
If the Padres hated the consolation concept with such passion, why didn't they simply refuse to participate in the CCS playoffs in the first place? Some consistency would have been helpful and appreciated.
I think if you read the article coach Walsh makes his position clear. This was a new situation forced upon the teams in the Open Division this year and based upon posts and other feed back none of the coaching staffs liked the concept, nor the fans.This is a situation where coach Walsh is in a no-win situation literally because of the forfeit which he felt was in the best interest of the younger team players [ie: read my previous post & does make sense].

I do find it interesting that in such a situation some fans would criticize the coach and offer as a solution that Serra simply not participate in the post season at all[?]. I admire coach Walsh for doing what he feels is the best thing for his players despite the consequences as that is what a coaches top priority is supposed to be - ultimately making the best decision in their interest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT