ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty vs Carondelet

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
Obviously Mitty are the favorites and Carondelet is the under dog in this game. Mitty has been playing at a level or two higher than Carondelet thus far. So it will be a good test and gauge for Carondelet to see how they stack up at this point in the season to the best in the nation. In my opinion the team that has the most players in double digit scoring will win the game. Who will have too much offense for the others defense? Who will play tight and who will be loose?

Typically speaking the better teams know how to account for teams that have only 1 or 2 players carrying the bulk of the scoring load. Many times those who relying too much on 1 or 2 players will struggle in tougher games if 1 or 2 of those players get hurt, in foul trouble, exhausted, or just have an off night shooting because they are playing (under pressure) a better team than they have normally played. That is why it is important to work to develop more players and other areas of your team. Never get so satisfied or so full of yourself that you stop demanding better from yourself. It is also why typically the most unselfish and better passing teams come out on top. Not the teams who force up bad shots. Of course defending the 3 point shot (and overall defense) against teams that live and die by the 3 point shot is an important aspect as well. Both teams have a good starting line up and good and capable reserves rotating in. So it should be a good game. Although Mitty is double digit favorites It may come down to smart and courageous play, and who wants it most.

Play it timid and safe? Or play to win?

Here's to a well coached,Played, officiated, and injury free game.

Last edited:
Great post!

Could we be looking at a preview of the NorCal Open final?

Carondelet has been playing their best basketball as of late. Their length should give them a good matchup.

For one thing, Mitty is 10-deep. No letup in its defensive pressure and relentless offense. Forcing them to slow down and play halfcourt is also a double-edged sword. Mitty is an excellent half-court team as well. They are playing at a different level right now. Plus their schedule has been extremely challenging, making them even better. If, somehow, Carondelet makes this one a close ballgame with four minutes to play, big time kudos to them.

Reactions: Paytc and kkross22
Great post!

Could we be looking at a preview of the NorCal Open final?

Carondelet has been playing their best basketball as of late. Their length should give them a good matchup.

I agree Carondelet should matchup well with Mitty. But.......

I'm not so sure Carondelet has been playing "as a team overall" their best ball in the past few games. There is still a few things they need to adjust to be able to play at the level with Mitty and others who are playing at the higher level. The true test is when you play the better and the best. Sure they are playing better and more confident than they did at the start of the season. And they have better team chemistry. It is easier to play well and even better when you are clearly better than your opponent. But when you play teams that are well coached, experienced, deep, and better than perhaps you are, the margin for error is lower. Attention to detail is greater.

They played perhaps their best game overall as a team and coaching staff from the top to the bottom when they played SMS. They had 4 players in double digits scoring almost 5. And 3 others scored close to 5 points. They payed close attention to detail. They were in the perfect alignment based on size, skill level, speed and ability. Got off to a good start early playing straight up toe to toe no tricks. And they played loose and everyone from the top to the bottom had trust in one another. They had several players if not all their players... locked in, focused, and ready to play. They rotated the ball and made good shot selections against SMS. And they had good on the floor leadership down the stretch. And a little luck. But they earned the luck from playing well up to that point. They played well in all 4 quarters.They will need to play the same way (as a team from top to the bottom) to have the best chance against Mitty.

I haven't seen that intensity and overall play since the SMS game. But the confidence as a team overall is there. One or two individuals are playing tighter than they should be and being that it is just a "game" I will never be able to understand that personally. And that will need to be addressed, and not overlooked, if they want to continue to get better as a "team". And give themselves a chance to play on the level with the best. Again it should be a good game.

Last edited:
How is Mitty a double digit favorite?
Because that is what I made them based on everything they have, and have done, in relation to what Carondelet has, and has done, to this point. That doesn't mean the game couldn't be closer, or that Mitty can't lose the game. It's just my opening point spread.

Last edited:
Well, I was wondering if Carondelet is at an adavatage being at home in their small gym?
I know this could work to Mittys advantage because they press very well and have a full ten to rotate to keep the press on the entire game without fatigue.

The front court players for Mitty run the court extremely well and I'm not familiar enough with the Clet bigs and their ability for transition?

If Clet slows it down into a half court game it will be interesting.

That's probably their only shot at an upset.

I think it will play out a bit different than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the effectiveness in the half court and the effectiveness in the press works out to the contrary of what might be the expected belief going into the game. The effectiveness of both teams in the half court will have impact. Both teams can give and take pressure. So it should be an interesting game with a bit more pressure on the favorites to win IMO. It won't be the best game for the most timid.

I would suggest you get there early.

I believe CLET will give Mitty everything they can handle and then some. The game will be close throughout with Mitty pulling away at the end to win by 12.

Last edited:
I say Mitty wins by 15 and I don't think this is a preview of the Open final. In my opinion Carondelet is a year away.

Reactions: OnBall8
The biggest advantage Mitty has going in is experience and the habits they have built in. Let me explain this for my friends....

Because Carondelet plays in a relatively easy league (and Mitty is in a more challenging league) Carondelet has been able to easily use the fact that they have the size, skill, experience, and overall talent advantage to easily win most league games. In those games Carondelet gets away with lazy projected passes, bringing the ball down and/or not securing rebounds, rushing the outlet pass, missing too many routine makable shots, and relying on 1 or 2 scorers to take the bulk of the shot attempts. Forcing up bad shots and turning the ball over is not a big deal when you are far better than another team so you dont value the ball as much as you should. These and other habits or predictabilities make it a lot easier to game plan for and adjust against during games. Not getting enough players developed, involved, confident, and prepared for tougher games when more players will be needed could make it tougher for any team to compete at the top of its game in the post season. I do now consider Carondelet a good team. I like the improvements they have made and continue to make. But like all good teams they have a few things to work on. Playing against Mitty, like every game thus far, will help Carondelet in its development overall as a team. Carondelet did get a lot of players involved and coached and played a fine game against SMS. They will need a repeat performance today to better their chances against Mitty. Carondelet has to want to win this game more than Mitty does, and show it on the court.

Mitty on the other hand has played in the top level of the TOC and other tough national tournaments and a far more challenging schedule the past couple of years. And because of that, they couldn't afford to be careless, selfish, unconcerning, or predictable in their approach. Basketball is such an "instinctual" fast pace game. Because of that, your mental and physical "habitual conditioning" plays a big part in how successful you are in the more challenging games. As it will be important for all players hoping to play well at the next level. That is also why I believe you must always take a critical look at yourself and your team so that you can make the necessary improvements to better prepare yourself. You can not get too full of yourself or satisfied when you dominate inferior teams and build a false sense of how good you are. But many players and teams do just that. I don't think that would be permitted on a Sue Phillips watch. And that is another one of the reasons Mitty is and has been such a competitive team consistently for such a long time.

All that said, I think we can expect both teams to come out and give it their best effort. May they play, coach, and officiate, a safe and enjoyable game.

Last edited:
Difference was Mitty had more playmakers than Carondelet. When you have tall players who can handle, score and distribute, it makes for a really tough matchup.

I had Carondelet at 9-for-40 on two point shots and 6-for-15 from the free throw line.

Last edited:
Difference was Mitty had more playmakers than Mitty. When you have tall players who can handle, score and distribute, it makes for a really tough matchup.

I had Carondelet at 9-for-40 on two point shots and 6-for-15 from the free throw line.

Tagging onto an earlier post, things are a lot different playing in the WCAL and EBAL. If C-let wants to get to the next level as a consistently elite program, it should leave the EBAL and play an independent schedule. It would also be better for the remaining teams in the EBAL - not that exciting to play for second place every year.

Reactions: Paytc
16 point win by Mitty and they really didn't play a good game on the offensive end. They had way too many turnovers and many missed easy shots. What actually won them the game was constant pressure defense and their length that resulted in either steals or blocked shots.

Their defense really stood out in this game and it was apparent their overall depth overtook Clet.

The biggest advantage Mitty has going in is experience and the habits they have built in. Let me explain this for my friends....

Because Carondelet plays in a relatively easy league (and Mitty is in a more challenging league) Carondelet has been able to easily use the fact that they have the size, skill, experience, and overall talent advantage to easily win most league games. In those games Carondelet gets away with lazy projected passes, bringing the ball down and/or not securing rebounds, rushing the outlet pass, missing too many routine makable shots, and relying on 1 or 2 scorers to take the bulk of the shot attempts. Forcing up bad shots and turning the ball over is not a big deal when you are far better than another team so you dont value the ball as much as you should. These and other habits or predictabilities make it a lot easier to game plan for and adjust against during games. Not getting enough players developed, involved, confident, and prepared for tougher games when more players will be needed could make it tougher for any team to compete at the top of its game in the post season. I do now consider Carondelet a good team. I like the improvements they have made and continue to make. But like all good teams they have a few things to work on. Playing against Mitty, like every game thus far, will help Carondelet in its development overall as a team. Carondelet did get a lot of players involved and coached and played a fine game against SMS. They will need a repeat performance today to better their chances against Mitty. Carondelet has to want to win this game more than Mitty does, and show it on the court.

Mitty on the other hand has played in the top level of the TOC and other tough national tournaments and a far more challenging schedule the past couple of years. And because of that, they couldn't afford to be careless, selfish, unconcerning, or predictable in their approach. Basketball is such an "instinctual" fast pace game. Because of that, your mental and physical "habitual conditioning" plays a big part in how successful you are in the more challenging games. As it will be important for all players hoping to play well at the next level. That is also why I believe you must always take a critical look at yourself and your team so that you can make the necessary improvements to better prepare yourself. You can not get too full of yourself or satisfied when you dominate inferior teams and build a false sense of how good you are. But many players and teams do just that. I don't think that would be permitted on a Sue Phillips watch. And that is another one of the reasons Mitty is and has been such a competitive team consistently for such a long time.

All that said, I think we can expect both teams to come out and give it their best effort. May they play, coach, and officiate, a safe and enjoyable game.

I must say, very good self analysis pre game. I feel like it played out a lot like you described. I dont think either team played its best game, but you could definitely see some of those habits you talked about.

I must say, very good self analysis pre game. I feel like it played out a lot like you described. I dont think either team played its best game, but you could definitely see some of those habits you talked about.

Carondelet played the worse of the two teams as very well displayed on Streak One's shot percentage...."I had Carondelet at 9-for-40 on two point shots and 6-for-15 from the free throw line."

The game was close mind you when Carondelet were missing very makable two foot shots which should have been made and/or and one shots. Then if they make the give me shots and just a few more foul shots Mitty never starts to slowly pull away in the 3rd quarter. Not to mention after getting that lead the routine shots that Mitty made become a bit harder if the score is tied or within 4 points as opposed to a 10 point or plus lead.

Not to take anything away from Mitty because they were the better team. My point going in was there were a few things Carondelet needed to address to be able to better prepare themselves for Mitty, Clovis West, LBP and teams that appear to be on a level slightly higher than Carondelet is on at this point. League play Carondelet faces gives them a false sense of how good they are and mask the things they need to work on to prepare for better teams like the teams mentioned above.

The beauty is those teams have pretty much maxed out. While Carondelet has quite a bit of room to improve and are not that far behind the level they need to be at already. And true to my preseason statement "there is no team that strikes fear in the opponents like SMS did the past couple of seasons". Carondelet can play with anyone. Now they need to figure out how to become a problem for everyone.

So if the improvements and a few adjustments are made Carondelet could very well be a team capable of giving any team out there a handful of trouble IMO. That would be the case even if they shot the ball as poorly as they did last night. So the trouble would be even more compounded if they shot the ball better in addition to the adjustments and improvements.

I had already noticed the vast improvements Sue Phillips had made before the game was played that is why I complimented her in the post just before the game for what I saw as some very good adjustments she made from last season to this season. Coaching does matter despite the fact so many tend to down play the significance of it.

Carondelet has seen enough to be in position to prepare for the post season. Now it comes down to making the adjustments and improvements that need to be made.

Last edited:
In general, I agree -- but I thought Mitty could have played much better, and I do think Mitty is clearly the best team in Northern California, and by a wide margin. They are just as powerful as the great SMS teams, relatively speaking, and though not perfect, have few holes.

Also, though Carondelet missed many easy shots, the Cougars also banked in more than a couple, so in some ways that balances out.

Carondelet is very good, and Open-bound, but like seven of the eight Open teams, will be hoping someone else beats Mitty before they have to play the Monarchs.

In general, I agree -- but I thought Mitty could have played much better, and I do think Mitty is clearly the best team in Northern California, and by a wide margin. They are just as powerful as the great SMS teams, relatively speaking, and though not perfect, have few holes.

Also, though Carondelet missed many easy shots, the Cougars also banked in more than a couple, so in some ways that balances out.

Carondelet is very good, and Open-bound, but like seven of the eight Open teams, will be hoping someone else beats Mitty before they have to play the Monarchs.

I think we agreed Mitty was and is the better team. But history has told us that any good team can beat and even upset a so call better team. It's also fair to say neither team played its best game. And bank shots count. Just as 3 pointers in general (a low percentage shot ) counts whenever it goes in. I'm sure Carondelet won't be going to the chapel any time soon to pray someone knocks off Mitty before they cross paths. Most likely Carondelet will be working to improve in the areas they need to improve on which are in many areas. If they do that and make the right adjustments, I'm sure they will be comfortable with whoever they play in the open whenever they play them.

Last edited:
Difference was Mitty had more playmakers than Carondelet. When you have tall players who can handle, score and distribute, it makes for a really tough matchup.

Part of that is true. But Carondelet also has play makers who are not being encouraged, or understanding how to make plays or not in as friendly an offense to make plays. If you noticed Mitty looked to be better at moving the ball in the half court offense. Carondelet needs improvement in that area so they are not rushing up a shot in the last 4 seconds of the shot clock which is more times than not a bad shot.

And before anyone goes on the Mitty's defense was why Carondelet's offense in the half court had trouble, just replay any of Carondelet's league games, and you will see the same alarming trend. I noticed that long before the Mitty Carondelet game as an area they needed to work on and pointed out my concerns in previous post.

I also said the team that had the most players in double digit scoring would win the game. I said that because I knew the team that moved the ball best and got the most people involved would have the greater chance to win. That is typically the case no matter the match up. It just tends to be more critical when the competition is evenly matched or greater.

Last edited:
Part of that is true. But Carondelet also has play makers who are not understanding how or not in as friendly an offense to make plays. If you noticed Mitty looked to be better at moving the ball in the half court offense. Carondelet needs improvement in that area so they are not rushing up a shot in the last 4 seconds of the shot clock which is more times than not a bad shot.

And before anyone goes on the Mitty's defense was why Carondelet's offense in the half court had trouble, just replay any of Carondelet's league games, and you will see same alarming trend. I noticed that long before the Mitty Carondelet game as an area they needed to work on and pointed out my concerns in previous post.

I also said the team that had the most players in double digit scoring would win the game. I said that because I knew the team that moved the ball best and got the most people involved would have the greater chance to win. That is typically the case no matter the match up. It just tends to be more critical when the competition is evenly matched or greater.

Unfortunately there only a few coaches that teach proper ball movement and when you see it and watch how effective it is at making teams so much better you marvel at how/why all coaches don't teach and preach the same. Been scratching my head on that one for a long time because it ain't rocket science

16 point win by Mitty and they really didn't play a good game on the offensive end. They had way too many turnovers and many missed easy shots. What actually won them the game was constant pressure defense and their length that resulted in either steals or blocked shots.

Their defense really stood out in this game and it was apparent their overall depth overtook Clet.

Despite what many are fooled to believe, it's the little details and minor adjustments that aside from talent and coaching, separates one good team from another good team. When obvious questionable trends go un-noticed or are not corrected they can be masked in easy victories but will be exposed in higher levels of competition. So it boils down to how high you set your standards and the height of the goal line your aiming at. If your only aiming to win league and NCS you'll always fall short in reaching an Open or Division State championship.

What Carondelet has to admit is that in order to take that next step there must be a few sacrifices made. There must be adjustments and improvements made. A better team has to be created from the existing roster. Vast improvement over contentment. But league and NCS Championships have been a high enough bar in the past. So Carondelet may be satisfied with things as they are. I guess time will determine better than wasting time and energy making predictions.

Last edited:
And there is one obvious factor at play: Mitty simply has better players and more of them. Sorry. But that's not going to change this season. Mitty is LOADED.

And there is one obvious factor at play: Mitty simply has better players and more of them. Sorry. But that's not going to change this season. Mitty is LOADED.

I guess we will see since everyone is not 100 % convinced yet. But I will agree Mitty is loaded. And they are the favorites like SMS was last season. That is why they play the game.

In a case like that us better coaches know 7 or 8 of your best against their 10 is better than trying to matchup 10 against their best 10. But I do think most coaches do the opposite of what I am suggesting you do and that is why most fall short. You beat a team doing what is best for your team's chances not playing into another team's best hand.

Last edited:
If Pinewood plays them in the post-season and connects on, say, 22 of 33 treys, well, that's a different story entirely. But a more conventional team like Carondelet (or Cardinal Newman or O'Dowd or McClatchy, etc.) not so much.

Unfortunately there only a few coaches that teach proper ball movement and when you see it and watch how effective it is at making teams so much better you marvel at how/why all coaches don't teach and preach the same. Been scratching my head on that one for a long time because it ain't rocket science

CamAca,

I'll tell you who does teach it and each of those teams are sitting at the top of the national and local charts. I wanna be like the best so I don't even look to emulate anything less.

Of the loses Carondelet has had( CW, Mitty, and 2 @Toc) that area has been the common area of concern for Carondelet. Many falsely believed Mitty, CW, SMS and others would beat Carondelet with their full court press. Each time Carondelet has broken the press without much trouble. Or the rebounding would be an issue against Mitty? Not sure but I don't think that was as big an issue as Carondelet's in-effectiveness in the half court offense. And ball movement and finding the best shots is the common thread at the center of Carondelet's problems. It also contributed to the low shooting percentage which was also the difference.

What you believe goes a long way. And I don't think Carondelet left the game believing they have no chance to beat Mitty or anyone else the next time they play them outside of the Golden State Warriors. And they won't cover the point spread against Carondelet. Smile.

Last edited:
If Pinewood plays them in the post-season and connects on, say, 22 of 33 treys, well, that's a different story entirely. But a more conventional team like Carondelet (or Cardinal Newman or O'Dowd or McClatchy, etc.) not so much.

Someone put a call in to cancel the games now to save the other 7 teams from the embarrassment. Since they don't even have a chance against the mighty powerful one. LOL......

Reactions: colhenrylives
Ball movement, constant pressure defense, speed of play, Mittys length and lastly constant rotation of fresh players without any lapse in talent or effectiveness.

The collective amount of these factors makes Mitty a very tough team to match up against.

Ball movement, constant pressure defense, speed of play, Mittys length and lastly constant rotation of fresh players without any lapse in talent or effectiveness.

The collective amount of these factors makes Mitty a very tough team to match up against.

Those are given facts. But the best teams get better playing with and against better. Mitty didn't just wake up and become as good as they are. They took butt whippings by teams that were better than them along the road to getting better too. Carondelet is not gonna just say ok were not very good. Every team that beat us is simply just better than we are so we should stop working to improve and just take up soccer or swimming. And if you saw the game, you know Mitty didn't have everything to do with Carondelet missing many very makable shots. And most would say of the two teams Carondelet, not Mitty, played far below what they are capable of playing. And even with that Carondelet was never blown out. The loses Carondelet have had are gonna make them better not worse. If you know anything about basketball (which I'm sure you are very knowledgeable), you know momentum plays a big role in how games flow, confidence grows, and final scores end up. The momentum could have flowed in Carondelet's favor off of one or two timely 3 point shots going in or out, or a 3 pointer and a steal for a layup at the start of the 3rd quarter.

Just ask CW if the momentum flowed as well in their favor when they played Centennial the second time after they beat them easily by 15 points at the TOC. I wasn't there but I'd be willing to bet momentum played a big part each time. Each game can have a personality of it's own. And any good team can beat or upset any other good team even a team that is clearly better than they are based on how the momentum flows on any given day. That is why you concern yourself with correcting and improving the areas that you need to improve upon and look forward to the next major challenge to see if the adjustments and improvements will help you gain a bit more momentum and even luck. Because a little bit of everything can help as long as you stay healthy, Keep a good attitude, give a good effort, and keep believing in yourself and one another.

Last edited:
And if you saw the game, you know Mitty didn't have everything to do with Carondelet missing many very makable shots. And most would say of the two teams Carondelet, not Mitty, played far below what they are capable of playing

Mitty might not have had EVERYTHING to do Carondelet missing, but I dont think you give them enough credit for what they did do. Mitty has held most opponents below their season scoring average, especially in the last few weeks.. so at some point you have to face that their defense causes those misses, even if its just confidence being rattled from previous possessions. I'm sure #32 for carondelet has been a much better shooter this season than she showed last night. She missed a few contested shots very badly in the first half.. then missed some wide open ones in the second half until she banked one in. I would guess she was getting frustrated with the way she was playing and it compounded problems.. but I think that stemmed from the Mitty D.

Just one example, not saying its the rule, obviously mitty had nothing to do with all those missed free throws. But they did dominate the boards which i also think you are downplaying the importance of. Teams are going to have to expect to score less than they are used to against the monarchs

Mitty might not have had EVERYTHING to do Carondelet missing, but I dont think you give them enough credit for what they did do. Mitty has held most opponents below their season scoring average, especially in the last few weeks.. so at some point you have to face that their defense causes those misses, even if its just confidence being rattled from previous possessions. I'm sure #32 for carondelet has been a much better shooter this season than she showed last night. She missed a few contested shots very badly in the first half.. then missed some wide open ones in the second half until she banked one in. I would guess she was getting frustrated with the way she was playing and it compounded problems.. but I think that stemmed from the Mitty D.

Just one example, not saying its the rule, obviously mitty had nothing to do with all those missed free throws. But they did dominate the boards which i also think you are downplaying the importance of. Teams are going to have to expect to score less than they are used to against the monarchs

I have been in admiration of Mitty forever. But the fact of the matter is my alignment is with Carondelet. And I am only concerned primarily with how Carondelet can do and get better. I love all the best teams. I always have and always will because I have never been a player hater or any kind of hater. What 32 did #32 has done off and on for as long as I have known 32 and it had nothing to do with Mitty. Others on this site who know #32 I'm sure agree. And if Carondelet improved its half court offense #32 wouldn't be as off and on and/ or looking so "so call "frustrated in the first place. And though Carondelet didn't do as great a job on the boards as they could have that wasn't as big a difference maker than the poor half court offense and poor ball movement/ bad shot selection was IMO. Again my concern is with Carondelet not Mitty. I wish Mitty and everyone else well. I just wish us a bit better. Should I be locked up, or shot for that?

Last edited:
I'll admit that may have been a bad example if she is as on and off as you stated, and I trust your info more than my 2 times watching Carondelet over the internet. I agree that the game was about flows and momentum and a few timely runs were the biggest difference, but I just meant that it wasnt only due to Carondelets ineptitude.. I think Mitty "made its own luck" with those runs, by creating them. They had to play very well for those spurts in order to win, and like sjbasket said about rotations of fresh players is a huge part of those spurts. They often happen at the end of quarters for a reason. I hope this matchup happens again, I think it'll be even better next time around. I like the way Carondelet plays and I hope they do well, like you I love rooting for well coached teams, and they definitely are one.

btw, ClayK, are you saying that you are one of those teams hoping for an upset??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT