Mitty's 20-21 team already has 8 players with full D1 Offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
According to Coach Phillips they are

Class of ‘21: Sydney Bourland, Hunter Hernandez, Marley Langi, Amelia Scharpf, Katie Springs, Olivia Williams;

Class of '22 Siena Guttadauro ‘22;

Class of '24 Morgan Cheli

Wowza.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Definitely.

Should be a good year for girls basketball if we can get to a season

One of the many casualties of this time will be this Mitty team's shot at a national title, as well as a state crown. But it does seem like there will be a season of some sort, which is more than the spring athletes had.

Reactions: GBBall4L
They have a lot of good players but only one 4 star player. I like the Bishop O'Dowd team of 2013. Three 5 star players, two 4 star players and one 3 star player. They had size and guards. Chidonm and Brown started for top 25 programs. Asha Tomas was a four year starter for Cal. Roberston and Bostick started for their schools.

They have a lot of good players but only one 4 star player. I like the Bishop O'Dowd team of 2013. Three 5 star players, two 4 star players and one 3 star player. They had size and guards. Chidonm and Brown started for top 25 programs. Asha Tomas was a four year starter for Cal. Roberston and Bostick started for their schools.

For me, that was the best team I've seen from NorCal in the past decade or so.

If you didn't see those incredible SHP units in the early 1990s, you missed something special. Loaded with individual stars, they relied on half-court man-to-man and a precise, disciplined half-court offense that was relentless. They didn't commit many turnovers. Their shot selection and use of the 30-second clock were textbook. They ran off long rebounds and steals but they valued possessions dearly (something too many teams fail to do today). They ground down the best teams in California for several years, winning 80 games in a row at one stellar point.

If you didn't see those incredible SHP units in the early 1990s, you missed something special. Loaded with individual stars, they relied on half-court man-to-man and a precise, disciplined half-court offense that was relentless. They didn't commit many turnovers. Their shot selection and use of the 30-second clock were textbook. They ran off long rebounds and steals but they valued possessions dearly (something too many teams fail to do today). They ground down the best teams in California for several years, winning 80 games in a row at one stellar point.
Thank God coaching has evolved. A game with no turnovers consistently tells me that the kids didn’t push their individual skills. I’ll take the Bishop O’Dowd coaching over old coaches that would have made Curry a passer and Lebron a power forward.

Reactions: bayareagbballfan
They had eight kids sign with Division I schools. Renee Robinson played later in the WNBA. If anything, their individual (and team) skills were accelerated while playing at SHP. All were fundamentally sound on both ends of the floor. They were ready for the higher-level college game right from the get-go.

They had eight kids sign with Division I schools. Renee Robinson played later in the WNBA. If anything, their individual (and team) skills were accelerated while playing at SHP. All were fundamentally sound on both ends of the floor. They were ready for the higher-level college game right from the get-go.
They were really really good. And won on the big stage repeatedly.

Thank God coaching has evolved. A game with no turnovers consistently tells me that the kids didn’t push their individual skills. I’ll take the Bishop O’Dowd coaching over old coaches that would have made Curry a passer and Lebron a power forward.

You're crazy. Have you been to a BOD practice? It's almost comical the stuff you see...a lot of scrimmage and little skill development. they have athletics up the wazoo and it keeps them in the game. That being said, kids love the coach.he's defiantly a players coach and kids play hard for him.

You're crazy. Have you been to a BOD practice? It's almost comical the stuff you see...a lot of scrimmage and little skill development. they have athletics up the wazoo and it keeps them in the game. That being said, kids love the coach.he's defiantly a players coach and kids play hard for him.
My point exactly. Not everyone can coach great athletes from the inner city. Most want their X and O’s to be the reason they win. Jordan said the best practices he’s ever been in were when he played pickup with other great players. Not everyone is meant to coach great athletes.

Reactions: BayTongan650
By the time you have made the bishop o dowd varsity team shouldnt your skills be there? You shouldnt have to spend what little practice time you have to work on left hand lay ups. You gotta learn how to break the Miramonte press and how to defend versus salesians speed. Or you might get your wazoo beat. Badly.

By the time you have made the bishop o dowd varsity team shouldnt your skills be there? You shouldnt have to spend what little practice time you have to work on left hand lay ups. You gotta learn how to break the Miramonte press and how to defend versus salesians speed. Or you might get your wazoo beat. Badly.

I agree. Coaches themselves will tell you that you have to work on things outside of practice to improve your skill set. Drills in practice alone aren't enough. From my observation I would say BOD gets by more on talent than they do on coaching schemes. I'm not trying to knock the coach but that's how it appears.

My point exactly. Not everyone can coach great athletes from the inner city. Most want their X and O’s to be the reason they win. Jordan said the best practices he’s ever been in were when he played pickup with other great players. Not everyone is meant to coach great athletes.
how many of those girls are really from ESO or North Richmond?

there's a lot to say for athleticism in girls basketball that makes up for not having fundamentals. you can't teach speed, jumping, and height. Kids are very talented, physical, and play hard for their coach. It's funny..they're just above average during the season but kick butt in playoffs the last few years. Again, Malik gets the most out of those players potential but could be much better with daily work. Go check out Doc's practices...they spend first 45 minutes everyday working on the small things and his kids overachieve. He wins with less talent (he does have a lot of good players, but good because they've been working on the small stuff since 5th grade)..probaly more than any top tier program.

Reactions: redjuice and LBJ6
Those SHP teams were exceptional, but there was no depth. Mike Ciardella played the top five 30 minutes a game regardless of the score, pretty much.

The SHC teams had more depth but maybe the top five wasn't quite as strong.

And as for coaching styles, it's really how you approach the game. If you scrimmage a lot in practice, then basically you want to create game situations in which the pace is fast, sets are few and the winner will be determined by talent and skill, not strategy and tactics. Of course, if you do that, then when you run into a team with more talent and skill, you're in trouble.

There are a lot of ways to be successful, but I think it's important for a coach to know what she's trying to do, and for the players to understand what they need to do to make the system (whatever it is) run well.

I loved the Sacred Heart teams but they were lucky. They won two state championships in overtime. And defintely should have lost one except for a bonehead play by the opposition. The opposition had a 3 point lead in the waning seconds when one of the Sacred Heart players pulled a bone head play of their own by driving for a layup. They needed a three and went for a two. Trouble is the other team fouled them as they made the layup. So they made the free throw and then won in OT. All the other team needed to do was let her make the layup and they'd won the game. Xmas comse early.

The Piedmont teams with the Paris twins plus the Morris sisters were very talented teams. One of the few who could match up with the O'Dow's frontline.

If my girls were White I would want Doc. ALL DAY. If my girls are athletic and Black I would want Malik all day. There is a reason the Warriors don’t run an offense for Durant. Because they don’t have to. There is a reason why they run Clay off of 12 screens. Because they have to. There is a reason why each coach is successful at their current school.
is the same team that blew a 3-1 lead?

Reactions: GodFamilyBasketball
there's a lot to say for athleticism in girls basketball that makes up for not having fundamentals. you can't teach speed, jumping, and height. Kids are very talented, physical, and play hard for their coach. It's funny..they're just above average during the season but kick butt in playoffs the last few years. Again, Malik gets the most out of those players potential but could be much better with daily work. Go check out Doc's practices...they spend first 45 minutes everyday working on the small things and his kids overachieve. He wins with less talent (he does have a lot of good players, but good because they've been working on the small stuff since 5th grade)..probaly more than any top tier program.
I completely agree. Although I have never been to a practice for anyone of them I have seen them play. Your thoughts on being bigger, faster and stronger can be the determining factor versus highly skilled players is spot on. Especially in girls basketball.
That said Doc has to teach those fundamentals to get them to have a chance more so than Malik has to. That is just what it is.

I think a coach has to be adaptable to each team. Even at the same school, different teams require different tones, tactics, developement to thrive.

In terms of athleticism, it certainly does help but it is less of a have-to in girls basketball compared to boys

Those SHP teams were exceptional, but there was no depth. Mike Ciardella played the top five 30 minutes a game regardless of the score, pretty much.

The SHC teams had more depth but maybe the top five wasn't quite as strong.

And as for coaching styles, it's really how you approach the game. If you scrimmage a lot in practice, then basically you want to create game situations in which the pace is fast, sets are few and the winner will be determined by talent and skill, not strategy and tactics. Of course, if you do that, then when you run into a team with more talent and skill, you're in trouble.

There are a lot of ways to be successful, but I think it's important for a coach to know what she's trying to do, and for the players to understand what they need to do to make the system (whatever it is) run well.

If memory serves, Renee Robinson came off the SHP as a frosh PG.

I loved the Sacred Heart teams but they were lucky. They won two state championships in overtime. And defintely should have lost one except for a bonehead play by the opposition. The opposition had a 3 point lead in the waning seconds when one of the Sacred Heart players pulled a bone head play of their own by driving for a layup. They needed a three and went for a two. Trouble is the other team fouled them as they made the layup. So they made the free throw and then won in OT. All the other team needed to do was let her make the layup and they'd won the game. Xmas comse early.

The Piedmont teams with the Paris twins plus the Morris sisters were very talented teams. One of the few who could match up with the O'Dow's frontline.

Lucky? They went 113-1 at one point. They must have been lucky a lot.

Reactions: observer22
Lucky? They went 113-1 at one point. They must have been lucky a lot.
Pretty sure WivitBear is confusing the SH Cathedral team with the SH Prep team you're talking about. They are talking about the 2007/2008 SH Cathedral team that won 2 state titles, not the SHP teams of the 90's.

The two programs, back in the day, were quite different. SHP, at one point, rose near the very top of the USA Today national rankings. SHC, though terrific, was not quite at the level of that Atherton program. SHP was so strong that the LA Times sent an investigative reporter to Silicon Valley to research the Gators and their stunning success. She spent a month on the Peninsula but turned up nothing to prove illegalities or improprieties. The only school to barely defeat the Gators during that 113-1 run was Brea Olinda under the guidance of the legendary Jeff Sink at a tourney in Santa Barbara. Sink has stated that the victory was one of the school's all-time best _ and Brea was one of the outstanding programs in California.

The two programs, back in the day, were quite different. SHP, at one point, rose near the very top of the USA Today national rankings. SHC, though terrific, was not quite at the level of that Atherton program. SHP was so strong that the LA Times sent an investigative reporter to Silicon Valley to research the Gators and their stunning success. She spent a month on the Peninsula but turned up nothing to prove illegalities or improprieties. The only school to barely defeat the Gators during that 113-1 run was Brea Olinda under the guidance of the legendary Jeff Sink at a tourney in Santa Barbara. Sink has stated that the victory was one of the school's all-time best _ and Brea was one of the outstanding programs in California.
SHC's 2007/08 team went undefeated and were named National Champions. And while I agree with you that the 90's SHP teams were impressive, I would say that the competition was tougher in 2008 based on the expansion of the girl's game overall.

The same Brea team that had to forfeit a state championship and sit out from the playoffs for a couple years?

That is comical! 8 D1 commits, and one that has not even stepped on campus yet? There cannot be another school in Santa Clara County that has had half that many D1 athletes in the last 20 years. They are barely playing high school basketball.

SHP teams were interesting....In 94 and 95, they beat a legitimate neighborhood school in Monta Vista by 5 points, and then by 1 point. They also benefited in 1994 from Jenny Circle, a transfer from Los Altos High School. In addition, after their 95 championship, they dropped back down to Division 5.

Last edited:
That is comical! 8 D1 commits, and one that has not even stepped on campus yet? There cannot be another school in Santa Clara County that has had half that many D1 athletes in the last 20 years. They are barely playing high school basketball.

SHP teams were interesting....In 94 and 95, they beat a legitimate neighborhood school in Monta Vista by 5 points, and then by 1 point. They also benefited in 1994 from Jenny Circle, a transfer from Los Altos High School. In addition, after their 95 championship, they dropped back down to Division 5.
Mitty's 2007 team had 9 D1 commits, plus another 3 D2 players. Additionally, 2 more players (the Rickett sisters) had D1 offers to play basketball but chose to play softball. Interesting side note: Stephanie Ricketts played softball at Hawaii, then played a graduate year of basketball while attending Hawaii's nursing school.

Brea Olinda never lost a championship -- I believe you're thinking of Narbonne.

And that Monta Vista team had the Clark twins and a couple other pretty good players. I remember playing them at Campo during the state title run for Campolindo -- and we split with them.

Reactions: GodFamilyBasketball
There's a reason that Mitty is dubbed "Hoover Prep" by some cynics. it's because the Monarchs vacuum up great gobs of South Bay (and beyond) girls' hoops talent on an annual basis.

Pretty sure WivitBear is confusing the SH Cathedral team with the SH Prep team you're talking about. They are talking about the 2007/2008 SH Cathedral team that won 2 state titles, not the SHP teams of the 90's.
I think you are right though I saw both teams play. The Sacred Heart you are talking about had a guard that went to Colorado, a center that went to USC and a guard that went back east. I believe I saw them at the Cow Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT