ADVERTISEMENT

MLK Classic at DLS... or St. Mary's???

I remember when it was at cal and “hosted” by DLS. I think they just mean DLS is running the admin behind the event as the main school but it will be at St Mary’s.

maybe the school wont allow it during pandemic for vax reasons
I thought of that as a possibility, and maybe DLS’s website corrected one spot on the pdf, but missed the other.

I’m sure DLS will clear this up soon…. But I’ll try to ask around at the Tip- off classic at Dublin next Saturday if it hasn’t been cleared up yet.

Well... that's 2 outa 3, I'd say DLS it is... most likely... I will still doublecheck in person when I get the chance.

That makes a huge difference in the availability of seats. I don’t think DLS has ever actually hosted this at their home court, at least in the last 20 years.

That makes a huge difference in the availability of seats. I don’t think DLS has ever actually hosted this at their home court, at least in the last 20 years.
Agree. It’s been either cal or st Mary’s. Always draws good too.

Agree. It’s been either cal or st Mary’s. Always draws good too.
Yes. It was started at St. Mary's in 1998, and continued until 2008 when it was moved to Hass Pavilion untill 2016.
The move was facilitated by it's total popularity. It moved back to St. Mary's in 2017. This was because of proliferation of
Other MLK events which cut into the event. The first event was not very well attended, except for the DLS crowd.
Very few people knew of it taking place
I have been blessed with attending every one since the first. I still have all the programs, and if anyone wants, I can fill them in with any info.
Here's wishing you great hoops

I just got off the phone with Coach Schroeder from DLS. He said it was 99% sure it was going to be at DLS.
Not positive, but sounds like conformation. The games have been paired down from the usual seven to five games.
This makes sense. And I see they have it in two sessions. Clear out maybe? Who knows?

Here's wishing you great hoops

Just a second ago, I sent the DLS coach an email asking just that. I'll relay the info.

According to the DLS coach, the event is still going to happen at DLS and fans will be allowed in.

He didn't elaborate any further regarding whether attendance will be limited.

Of course, this is subject to change, I would guess...

i went to the ucla game saturday at cal. packed house. just watched usc game vs stanford with an empty gym. broadcast change to texas tech at baylor... packed house. this thing wild

According to MaxPreps, Campo's opponent is now Valley Christian... But on Campo's own website, they still are playing Fountain Valley of SoCal. But MaxPreps says Fountain Valley is playing a home game the same day, so I'm guessing Campo v. VC is what we'll see.

Otherwise, the matchups are the same as above at the moment.

According to the DLS coach, the event is still going to happen at DLS and fans will be allowed in.

He didn't elaborate any further regarding whether attendance will be limited.

Of course, this is subject to change, I would guess...
Kiddman, did the DLS Coach you contacted happen to say if the big game with Dougherty Valley is still on for tonight in Concord? I know the Spartans pulled the plug on their game with SRV last Friday so they must have had some more players test positive after the Cal High game.

Well, I guess I will NOT be trying to get into the DLS game tonight.

From the DLS website regarding tonight's game, apparently:

"Spectators
De La Salle will allow a LIMITED amount of spectators to attend each basketball contest. Each family (immediate household) of student participants will be allowed 4 spectators ONLY. There are no tickets available to the general public due to the restrictions we must follow."

Of course, the website's info might be old; it'll be interesting to see how many fans are actually in that gym when I watch online tonight.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I will NOT be trying to get into the DLS game tonight.

From the DLS website regarding tonight's game, apparently:

"Spectators
De La Salle will allow a LIMITED amount of spectators to attend each basketball contest. Each family (immediate household) of student participants will be allowed 4 spectators ONLY. There are no tickets available to the general public due to the restrictions we must follow."

Of course, the website's info might be old; it'll be interesting to see how many fans are actually in that gym when I watch online tonight.
Well, let’s hope it’s not like that on Monday for their MLK showcase.

NFHS has the stream.

Hopefully, it'll be the better of the two stream types...

There is the "security cam footage" that is normally how they show the JV and freshman games. That tends to be a little better than the average for NFHS, but not all that much better, no announcers and the on-cam scoreboard is hit-and-miss.

For the varsity games, they use a much better setup, good video quality, and announcers to liven up things. I'm hoping this would be the one they use for all the games today.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
Per the DLS website, attendance today is limited to 4 people per athlete:

Spectators
De La Salle will allow a LIMITED amount of spectators to attend each basketball contest. Each family of rostered student participants will be allowed 4 spectators ONLY. There are no tickets available to the general public at this time due to the restrictions we must follow.

I quoted that Spectator thing from the website also... But, while the 1000-ish seat capacity gym was nowhere near full for the DV game, it sure seemed like there were more than 4 per player/staffer, etc. Assuming 15 players per team plus coaches and trainers (and also any remaining JV and Freshman players by that time), that's gotta be a max of 150 or maybe even less, but it looked more like 400 or so on the video. There has to be a little bit of fudging going on... Or maybe all the donors are getting in...

I'm still on the fence as to whether to try and get in for at least the Campo game at the moment.

btw, those links at Vimeo weren't there when I looked last night; their presence on the site now is a very good sign that makes me think the feed will be the higher-quality one.

Reactions: observer22
Looks like pretty sparse attendance for this first game. Moreau rolling 28-13 early.

32-26 at the half, Moreau over Vanden. Hardy got going for Vanden to help close the gap.

Looks to me like University’s Kennedy is indeed still out. I don’t see his nmber 13 on the floor or the bench, and there’s a guy in streets on the bench.

Yes.. I have made it into the gym.

O’Down was ahead by something like 19-7 when I walked in, but Univ. has gone with a full-court press and it’s making some inroads.

Of course, soon as I say that, O’Down runs of 8 unanswered…. 33-20, 2:56 in the half.

Red Devils make a spirited run to make it 43-39 with 2:18 left in the 3rd.

Now it’s 45-42 Dragons, 1:01 left in the 3rd.

University has sunk several 3’s to get right back in this one.

49-46 Dragons now, but Uni gets a steal, is fouled…. FTboth go. 49-48.

They get a steal, #10 drives inside and scores! 50-49 University! 4:31 left in the game…

Another Uni steal…. Time out, 50-49 University, 50-49 lead and possession. 4:10 left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT