ADVERTISEMENT

Monte Vista 47 San Ramon Valley 40

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Monte Vista overcame an 18-13 halftime deficit to beat San Ramon Valley. Stefan Mitu had 16 points and Wilson LaShells had 14 points.

Keith Smith had 12 points for San Ramon Valley.

Bay Area News Group

The 1st half was nothing short of being ugly. The 2nd half was dominated by the Mustangs and once they got the lead, they never looked back. I've been a big fan of Smith and his game but he wasn't even the best point guard on the floor this game. He over dribbled, didn't penetrate and dish and forced some pretty bad shots and I thought his defense also took the night off. Give credit to Mileski who was able to shot down on the of the leagues best and he gave Smith fits all night.

Smith (whose game I have enjoyed much like you have, Streak) did similar last week against DLS when they started to fall behind in the 2nd half.

*Might* be falling into a rut which he needs to get out of. He's too good at other aspects of the game to become a wild "gunner".

Its common for Seniors. People tell them they need to score to get a scholarship. So kids start doing that or at least trying. In the end, it screws them up and hurts the team.

I am sure Smith is a great kid & I like his game very much but I think his biggest problem comes from home rather then players and coaches. I was sitting behind the Monte Vista bench and could see his Dad yell and scream all night at the refs and his son.

Sometimes the pressure of having your Dad live thru your high school and college experience is to much for these young men to handle and the expectations of going to college and or earning a scholarship to play, is taking a toll on them. Smith Dad wasn't even as bad as Fuca's Dad. It's embarrassing to watch and it must feel even worse for their boys.

Bottom line here is, let your kids play, coaches coach and refs ref. It's a great game but only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone around you.

Parent, let me first say that I mostly agree with what you said and especially your bottom statement. I too was at this game and sat two rows behind Mr. Smith and a few more from Mr. Fuca. I know both pretty well over the years and I couldn't say a bad word about either one. Both men are very passionate about the game and mainly their sons and San Ramon Valley. Both were absolutely all over the refs, which isn't unheard of in todays game and both were jawing back and forth to one another about the lack of calls. I think it was in good nature and neither were abusive or rude in any way, at least in my opinion. I do agree that there actions can be taken as over the top and I can see how their actions can be somewhat embarrassing to their kids. It's to bad we are talking about parents actions and not the 10 kids that played their hearts as well as both coaches who coached a hell of a game.
This post was edited on 2/4 7:34 PM by NorCalScout

I wasn't going to respond to this thread until I read the post from realisticparent so now I will respond to all of these comments.

#1. My name is Kevin Smith and my phone # is 925-699-4435 if you have anything to say to me about Keith or myself man up, identify yourself and call me or talk to me face to face. I can usually be found sitting on the front row of SRV games.

#2. Norcal scout started by stating the mistakes that Keith made during the MV game as if 17 year old kids aren't allowed to make mistakes or have an off night. I don't know of ANY player that has never had an off night. To say that he was shut down by one player in that game is inaccurate. If you really watched the game you will see that MV did a great job scouting SRV and were beating the SRV players to their spots on every play called.

#3 Kiddmann22 mentioned the DLS game and said that Keith became a wild gunner. If you knew anything about Keith and how unselfish he is a person and a player that statement would never have been made. Again a great coaching and team defensive game by DLS.

#4 NSbasketball says that seniors get told to score more in order to get a scholarship. That may be true in some cases but it is way off base in this case. Keith has been taught to do whatever it takes for his team to win. Last year his role was to defend and run the offense and people posted he has and I quote "absolutely no offensive skill at all" This year his team needs him to score, facilitate and stay out of foul trouble so he can guard the other teams best scorer in the 4th quarter.
#5. Realisticparent. First off my son plays basketball for himself because he loves the game and not for me trying to live through him. He knows that we love watching him play ball but if stopped playing tomorrow it wouldn't change a thing in our household. He will go to college and get a degree with or without basketball.

As a coach of kids from age 5 to 17 over the past 17 years I too have told my parents to let the players play, coaches coach and refs ref but sometimes that difficult. II have never seen a game officiated by 3 refs and 2 of the refs not make a single call against the home team the entire game. Everyone makes mistakes but that was horrible.

As far as me yelling as you call it at my son. What i'm telling my son is exactly what his coach is telling him. In a loud gym you can't speak softly and be heard. I push my boys to do their best at everything they do on the court, in the classroom, as a friend and in every other aspect of their lives.

#6 Norcalscout you are 100% correct. I am very passionate about my kids and If my boys told me that I embarrassed them by my actions my actions would change. And yes my boys would tell me because we have a very open line of communication.

Once again if anyone has anything to say to or about me or my son you have my number and you know where I will be on Tuesday and Friday nights.

Have a great night all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT