ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Brackets

noknight

Sports Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
We're 13 days away from the brackets being announced. What are people's predictions for who will be in the Open? Top seeds in each division?

I'll get it started:

Open:

#1 DLS
#2 Pitt/Liberty winner
#3 CVC
#4 Liberty or Cardinal Newman

I don't see a 3 loss Pitt getting an open bid over CN

D1:

#1 Pitt (if not in open)
#2 Antioch
#3 Monte Vista
#4 Cal
#5 Freedom

D2:

#1 BOD
#2 Rancho Cotate
#3 Campo
#4 Granada

D3:

#1 Cardinal Newman (if not in open)
#2 Eureka
#3 Las Lomas
#4 Pinole Valley
#5 El Cerrito

D4:

#1 Moreau
#2 Fortuna
#3 Del Norte
#4 Piedmont

Reactions: observer22
We're 13 days away from the brackets being announced. What are people's predictions for who will be in the Open? Top seeds in each division?

I'll get it started:

Open:

#1 DLS
#2 Pitt/Liberty winner
#3 CVC
#4 Liberty or Cardinal Newman

I don't see a 3 loss Pitt getting an open bid over CN

D1:

#1 Pitt (if not in open)
#2 Antioch
#3 Monte Vista
#4 Cal
#5 Freedom

D2:

#1 BOD
#2 Rancho Cotate
#3 Campo
#4 Granada

D3:

#1 Cardinal Newman (if not in open)
#2 Eureka
#3 Las Lomas
#4 Pinole Valley
#5 El Cerrito

D4:

#1 Moreau
#2 Fortuna
#3 Del Norte
#4 Piedmont

Open: I agree that DLS, Liberty & CVC are probably in regardless. I doubt they’d throw D3 CN into the mix to face DLS unless Pitt were to lose their last 2 games vs Liberty & Antioch. A 3 loss Pitt team still poses a threat to DLS, at least more than CN. If MV wins out they’d be another choice in case of a Pitt-fall. And then Antioch would have wins over both CVC and Pitt, which could bump them up.

The other issue is how their seeded. Obviously DLS is 1, and if Liberty wins out they’d be 2, followed by CVC, then Pitt/CN/MV/Antioch depending on how the cards play out. But if Pitt wins out, CVC still has a strong argument for 2 based on their head to head win over Pitt. That one could go either way, but I’m sure they both be happy with a rematch as opposed to having to face Sparty in the semis. Liberty would then be the 4.

D1: Tough call since Freedom beat Antioch, but lost to Cal, who lost to both MV and Antioch. But Antioch still has to play Pitt, and Cal still faces DLS, so MV might be the top seed. Anyway, those will likely be the top 4 seeds however they end up.

Last edited:
It would be a shame to put CN in the Open against DLS. They are an overachieving d4 private school, playing up already in d3. They could compete in D2 ( and win), and probably do ok in d1. But the Open? That’s too much of a jump for this year’s team ( and their smallish roster). I do think , though, Liberty will beat Pitt. And by a good margin. I was hoping for a regional matchup of CN vs. Placer, but if CN has to play DLS, I Will be there. CN does have a victory over the Spartans.

Reactions: Paloma
if they put CN in the Open with their 573 person school enrollment over a D1 team it will be a frign joke and a complete and utter travesty. Im sure that's just what the kids and school wants, a 40 pt ass whooping and season over after being placed above where they should be for the 2nd time in 3yrs.

As we sit back and watch Odowd with all their D1 kids and maybe the best RB in the country get put 7 levels below CN and win another state title.

Typical BS competitive equity....an overachieving small school gets penalized while larger schools who underachieve get rewarded

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
CN players would at least “get their chance” to see how they stack up against the very best in Norcal. And they would get a good stadium to play in, and widespread coverage for their players to be seen by colleges.

It would be good exposure for CN, but not sure about your comment about the good stadium. I’m not sure you been there, but there’s really nothing special about OO, except for the vast history of the games there. It’s not much different than most other HS fields, and the visitors side bleachers are terrible and only go up about 5 rows so you have to stand up to see over the players or cheer squads. Of course you can always sit on the home side and get a good view.

But I agree CN should not be thrown to the Wolves, or in this case Spartans.

I dont get the "exposure" argument. 1st rd loss in sections rather than playing possibly 4more games and state bowl bid? All in front of packed houses in competitive games.Or 1 and done?

CN isnt even a top 50 team in Cal Hi sports rankings.

Folsom with all their high D1 talent (LOADED roster) got shut out by DLS.

CN maybe, and I stress MAYBE has 3 D1 kids...and we arent talking Clemson, Norte Dame , Alabama level D1.

Im talking Sac St, Northern Az levels...

Agree. DLS has 25 DL/OL on their roster. Newman has 10 and lost three lineman first 1/3 of the season. One will be able to come back at season end. Newman unlike DLS is coed which means they are pulling talent from 285 boys.

Disagree with Sac St, NAU only talent, while those are fantastic schools someone will look at WR Jake Woods and notice his frame, speed and talent and make him a Zach Ertz style TE. LB/DL/OL Dino Kahaulelio has an endless motor and there is a place for him on a high level Group of 5 team. QB Jackson Pavitt has some high level contact from Power 5 schools but is JR.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I dont get the "exposure" argument. 1st rd loss in sections rather than playing possibly 4more games and state bowl bid? All in front of packed houses in competitive games.Or 1 and done?

CN isnt even a top 50 team in Cal Hi sports rankings.

Ok, I stand corrected. Good points.

It would be good exposure for CN, but not sure about your comment about the good stadium. I’m not sure you been there, but there’s really nothing special about OO, except for the vast history of the games there. It’s not much different than most other HS fields, and the visitors side bleachers are terrible and only go up about 5 rows so you have to stand up to see over the players or cheer squads. Of course you can always sit on the home side and get a good view.

But I agree CN should not be thrown to the Wolves, or in this case Spartans.

For some reason, I was thinking this game would be played at a neutral field, like sac st.

When did CN beat DLS? In the 70's? I thought the first time they ever played was in 1984 or 1985 and DLS throttled them.

In 1984, dls and cn played for the ncs 2a championship. Dls won 39-20. 34 years ago.

Last edited:
CN should have an opportunity to play in a bowl game this year. No way should they be put in the open. That would be nuts. This is a great football team as people have said. But at a D2-D3 type level.
I think Leberthon long term could be a pretty high D1 football player at WR. He's 6"2 190 and has a lot of skills.
Pavitt will end up playing in college at a Big West type. Woods with 20-30 lbs could be a hybrid type at a Mtn west. Dino is a beast. If he was 6'2 he would have offers from all the Pac12. So you have a real nice group of players. Coupled with the best coach in CA? Maybe.

Reactions: remc and concrete17
It would be a shame to put CN in the Open against DLS. They are an overachieving d4 private school, playing up already in d3. They could compete in D2 ( and win), and probably do ok in d1. But the Open? That’s too much of a jump for this year’s team ( and their smallish roster). I do think , though, Liberty will beat Pitt. And by a good margin. I was hoping for a regional matchup of CN vs. Placer, but if CN has to play DLS, I Will be there. CN does have a victory over the Spartans.
Agree with not moving CN up to the Open Div. But I wouldn’t give Liberty the win over Pitt just yet. Outside of DLS Pitt is more than capable of running the table in NCS, at least until they see the Green Machine

Leave CN in D3 and let them battle a tough eureka team, no need to sacrifice them to the Open

Pitt, dls, liberty and CVC

Reactions: 1tunz1 and remc
observer22 said:
".......there’s really nothing special about OO, except for the vast history of the games there. .... the visitors side bleachers are terrible and only go up about 5 rows so you have to stand up to see over the players or cheer squads......"

They don't call them the Spartans for nothin'.......and on a hot Friday afternoon, the visitors' side is the shadiest, coolest side of the double O desert,.....not to mention getting one of those limited productiont, fine souvenir Programs that doubles as a fan when it's warm and a keister heater on those cool Fall nights.

1tunz1 said:
"1973
48-6 CN
45 years ago."

That was before dLS was DLS.
A gallon of gas cost $.35, the average new home was around $35,000.00 and Nixon was still peaking out the windows of the West Wing.

And finally 1tunz1 also said:
Edit: After further review ( in the booth), I take back what I said in this post, like it doesn’t exist. I just dont want to delete it cuz its been replied to already. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Big Guy love your passion in your posts but c'mon sounds like Mrs Crete 45 minutes after she swore we neeeded to turn at the pink house with the front yard flamingos to get to the road where her sister's new home and BBQ is.....and now we are closer to Chowchilla rather than the desired Chico..

Wow, lots of angst over me thinking CN was one of the four best teams in NCS. I guess it's OK that the loser of the CVC/Liberty/Pitt game in the 1st round of the open doesn't get to go to a bowl because more kids go to those schools. Funny, I thought the purpose of the open was to have the best 4 teams play. Won't make that mistake again.[/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, they should let a lower division open team automatically get a bowl bid for their division.

Where wud American Canyon, Benicia & Vintage be?

Vintage is a lock for the D1 playoffs and a virtual lock for a first round home game as the winner of the Vine Valley. I don't see them as a top 4 seed over any of the teams I listed, but could see them getting no worse than a 6 seed, potentially behind an 8-2 Amador Valley.

If Benicia beats Las Lomas on Friday, they win the DVAL and lock up at least one home game. That might be a tall order. Even if they win, I'm not sure it bumps BOD, Rancho, Campo, Granada or Marin Catholic out of there, and based on the way lots of Redwood teams get favored treatment in that seeding room, I see Ukiah getting more love, meaning the Panthers are probably a 7 seed.

As for American Canyon, they're probably staring at a 5-5 record after that brutal 0-4 start. Maybe some symmetry to them getting the D2 10th seed and playing Benicia in the first round.

Wow, lots of angst over me thinking CN was one of the four best teams in NCS. I guess it's OK that the loser of the CVC/Liberty/Pitt game in the 1st round of the open doesn't get to go to a bowl because more kids go to those schools. Funny, I thought the purpose of the open was to have the best 4 teams play. Won't make that mistake again.[/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, they should let a lower division open team automatically get a bowl bid for their division.

They’re possibly top 4. Just the odds of them beating DLS are so low it might not be worth the risk. There have been seasons that I thought Newman could give DLS one of the best looks out of the section though. That idea was frowned upon by Newman fans if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 1tunz1 and noknight
They’re possibly top 4. Just the odds of them beating DLS are so low it might not be worth the risk. There have been seasons that I thought Newman could give DLS one of the best looks out of the section though. That idea was frowned upon by Newman fans if I remember correctly.

It sure was yesterday!

Reactions: slick58
CN lost to Liberty, shows they are not open team. Leave them D3. I hear a lot of MV chatter but they lost to Odowd, so can they go open over them? Starting to wonder how Odowd beat them, and nearly loss to San Leandro. Rancho gets D2 #1 seed with win over Campo and only loss to CN. I am predicting Encinal upsets BOD, messes up whole bracket.

I think a 3 loss Pitt team still gets into Open

CN beats Eureka for D3 and Moreau rolls through D4

Last edited:

The ONLY way a D1 team can get a bowl bid in the NCS is to go thru the OPEN. The NCS D1 champ does not get to go bowling. Ask Liberty last yr and Monte Vista the yr before. Its a stupid set up...

The ONLY way a D1 team can get a bowl bid in the NCS is to go thru the OPEN. The NCS D1 champ does not get to go bowling. Ask Liberty last yr and Monte Vista the yr before. Its a stupid set up...

The #4 seed in the Open is the kiss of death

Vintage is a lock for the D1 playoffs and a virtual lock for a first round home game as the winner of the Vine Valley. I don't see them as a top 4 seed over any of the teams I listed, but could see them getting no worse than a 6 seed, potentially behind an 8-2 Amador Valley.

If Benicia beats Las Lomas on Friday, they win the DVAL and lock up at least one home game. That might be a tall order. Even if they win, I'm not sure it bumps BOD, Rancho, Campo, Granada or Marin Catholic out of there, and based on the way lots of Redwood teams get favored treatment in that seeding room, I see Ukiah getting more love, meaning the Panthers are probably a 7 seed.

As for American Canyon, they're probably staring at a 5-5 record after that brutal 0-4 start. Maybe some symmetry to them getting the D2 10th seed and playing Benicia in the first round.

When did these teams move to NCS?

North needs another legit contender like Mater Dei has Bosco... DeLa needs somebody

I had a flashback to the 2016 season. Several posters were insistent the CN belonged in the new NCS Open division. They were not selected to the angst of these CN proponents. CN won the NCS D4 championship and was aligned in the Bowl D2-AA. If indeed they had been in NCS Open and lost the final to DLS, CN would have been placed into Bowl D1-AA. However, at this lower division, CN lost to VC 36-6. Those same posters and others severely complained about CN being placed so high in the Bowl division level to be mismatched with VC. Funny - won't make that mistake again [sarcasm].

I had a flashback to the 2016 season. Several posters were insistent the CN belonged in the new NCS Open division. They were not selected to the angst of these CN proponents. CN won the NCS D4 championship and was aligned in the Bowl D2-AA. If indeed they had been in NCS Open and lost the final to DLS, CN would have been placed into Bowl D1-AA. However, at this lower division, CN lost to VC 36-6. Those same posters and others severely complained about CN being placed so high in the Bowl division level to be mismatched with VC. Funny - won't make that mistake again [sarcasm].

Newman once had a legit Oak Christian team on their heels a play or two away from defeat. I don't think the NCS open is too big of a stage for them. No doubt they perform better in their division but I'm not sure about the placed too high thing. I guess the loser of every game could argue that they were placed too high.

I won't say that Newman is an open team this season but I think if they run into a team the quality of Liberty going foward they have a good chance at beating them. This time they need to hold onto the ball and not give up a last second bomb for a TD going into the half. Four turnovers and a demoralizing hail mary to cap a half will sink many teams.

Reactions: FBAddict
Hmmmm. I remember Newman agreeing to play up in the Bowl game because nobody else would so that two teams Valley Christian and Serra wouldn’t have to play each other again in the bowl.
I had a flashback to the 2016 season. Several posters were insistent the CN belonged in the new NCS Open division. They were not selected to the angst of these CN proponents. CN won the NCS D4 championship and was aligned in the Bowl D2-AA. If indeed they had been in NCS Open and lost the final to DLS, CN would have been placed into Bowl D1-AA. However, at this lower division, CN lost to VC 36-6. Those same posters and others severely complained about CN being placed so high in the Bowl division level to be mismatched with VC. Funny - won't make that mistake again [sarcasm].[/QU

Last edited:
Newman once had a legit Oak Christian team on their heels a play or two away from defeat. I don't think the NCS open is too big of a stage for them.
That first SBG DIII in 2006 was a great game. CN's Ryan Lingle was tough as nails. playing the 2nd half with a minor leg fracture. However, Oaks Christian , back then, was not the OC of today. Their varsity FB program was only 4 years old that year and it was really the first year of OC's predominance. CN, on the other hand, had a seasoned football program which started in 1966 and came into its own predominance in the 1970s. As good as that game was, it is not a legitimate argument for CN being placed into Open.

CN is good - almost every year, very good. And IMO they are a step ahead of their team in 2016 this year. But again IMO, they are not quite at the level they need to be for NCS Open this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: slick58
the g
Newman once had a legit Oak Christian team on their heels a play or two away from defeat. I don't think the NCS open is too big of a stage for them. No doubt they perform better in their division but I'm not sure about the placed too high thing. I guess the loser of every game could argue that they were placed too high.

I won't say that Newman is an open team this season but I think if they run into a team the quality of Liberty going foward they have a good chance at beating them. This time they need to hold onto the ball and not give up a last second bomb for a TD going into the half. Four turnovers and a demoralizing hail mary to cap a half will sink many teams.

ahhh...the good ole days when CN used to dress 45+ players and not 28.
Where they used to have depth and backups to spell the studs and not have 7 guys playing both ways and not coming out.

I have no doubt if you add 15 players to the roster and add 8 or 9 extra above average players to their depth that they could go toe2toe with anyone. But that's not 2018 CN..

Place them at the correct level is all I ask. 3AA/3A level is fair...

vs Placer would be a GREAT state play-in game matchup.... (assuming both get there)

Reactions: MC415
The #4 seed in the Open is the kiss of death

it has been.....but at least you get to play for a state title chance... if you are D1 and get put in sections you don't... ZERO chance...nada...zippo

If you are Pitt, CVC, Liberty etc... with all their freak athletes don't you want to go OPEN? Just not be the 4 seed.... especially CVC which keeps getting that seed every yr.

Its going to be someone from 1 of the big D1 schools in the East Bay that will eventually take DLS down...some team with deep rosters/talent and a little luck.

not a D4 school with 300 boys

it has been.....but at least you get to play for a state title chance... if you are D1 and get put in sections you don't... ZERO chance...nada...zippo

If you are Pitt, CVC, Liberty etc... with all their freak athletes don't you want to go OPEN? Just not be the 4 seed.... especially CVC which keeps getting that seed every yr.

Its going to be someone from 1 of the big D1 schools in the East Bay that will eventually take DLS down...some team with deep rosters/talent and a little luck.

not a D4 school with 300 boys

Yup exactly those bigger schools should be in the open and get 2 or 3 your going to the state game to play the LA city section champ Narbonne most likely which always loaded with athletes

Since the CCS opened the flood gates to allow losers to advance to the bowl games, the NCS started their own Open division. This allows some other D1 school not named DLS to have a chance to end their season with a win.
For the CCS it has worked out, 2 of their section losers actually won a state bowl game.
But the way the CCS & NCS went about making Open divisions are not the same. The NCS should copy the CCS playoff format. Make multiple Open brackets for the schools with the balls and others that don't aspire to play past sections. Actually all sections should be the same. It would create better quality games come state time and we won't have to watch Folsom destroy some SDS school.

After all that said, I actually hate the loser moves on BS, but its what we got to work with. If one section allows it all others should to.

Reactions: 121wayz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT