ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D2

youre smoking something right now if you think Dave Robb is a top 10 CN athlete

Despite the fact he was a phenomenal basketball player as an undersized guard, apparently you're not aware of him playing tennis in college, and what the guy can do on a golf course. Absolute freak. I 100% stand by my previous comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Quarterfinal scores:
#1 Bishop O’Dowd 74-# Bethel 52
#4 Redwood 58-#5 San Lorenzo 52
#2 Moreau Catholic 58-#10 Newark Memorial 52
#14 Las Lomas 49-#11 Tamalpais 45

Semifinal matchups (Wednesday at 7pm)
#4 Redwood at #1 Bishop O’Dowd
#14 Las Lomas at #2 Moreau Catholic

Reactions: BayHawkeye
I've liked this Redwood team all year but this is a big task. Would not be surprised to see it come down to the wire though. This will not be an easy game for Odowd.

Based on the competitive equity formula, both BOD and Moreau will both be moving up to D1 next season. BOD won last year (15 points) and played in the semis in 2017 (6 points) and this year (at least 6 points). Moreau won in 2017 (15) and lost in the semis last year (6).

Where is the formula posted?

What does it take for a team to drop down a division?

http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?articleID=9983

1. Competitive equity adjustments will be based on the most recent three-year period of competition in the NCS Championships. Competitive equity adjustments for the 2016-2017 school year will include the 2013-2014, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school years.

a. In subsequent years a new year is added and the oldest year of competitive data is removed.

2. Any team averaging 8.0 (points) or higher during the three-year period of competition in the NCS Championships using thr following scale would be required to move to the next higher division.

a. 15 points for winning a section championship.

b. 10 points for playing in the section championship contest

c. 6 points for playing in a semifinal game

d. 3 points for playing in a quarterfinal game

e. 1 point for entering the section championships as a (league) champion or at-large team.

3. All teams promoted based on No. 2 will be locked into the higher division.

4. No team will move more than one division from the previous year’s divisional assignment to the current year’s divisional assignment.

5. Once promoted, points from a lower division will not be considered in a subsequent promotion.

6. Once promoted, teams will leave the promoted division if they have less than 8 points earned in all divisions in the last three years.

7. When a team is required to move to a higher division another team is in the higher division is moved down to the next lower division. The criteria to determine which team(s) to move down to the lower division will be as follows:

a. The school in the higher division with the lowest point total under number two above will be moved one division lower.

b. If there are teams tied with the lowest point total the tie will be broken by the enrollment of the school. The school with the lowest point total and the smallest enrollment would be moved to the next lower division.

8. Petitioning will be allowed to a higher division. The petitioning process will be conducted according to the dates established by the Board of Managers.

So in other words, BOD and Moreau moving up next year means two teams with the lowest point total would drop down from D1. A quick look at D1 and the only team I see who hasn't at least gone to the playoffs in any of the last 3 years is American, so I'd make them a lock to go down.

Last edited:
http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?articleID=9983

So in other words, BOD and Moreau moving up next year means two teams with the lowest point total would drop down from D1. A quick look at D1 and the only team I see who hasn't at least gone to the playoffs in any of the last 3 years is American, so I'd make them a lock to go down.

Cal High and SRV both needed to win their final game this year vs DLS & MV to make the playoffs, but both finished 1 game out of qualifying. Neither has made the NCS playoffs the last 3 years either.

If 2 are moving up to D1, I wonder how they determine which teams drop? What goes into “point totals”? Overall records? - Oh I see, the teams with the lower enrollments drop if none have any points. SRV has the lowest of the 3 with 2042, then American at 2450, and Cal is at 2771.

Last edited:
Cal High and SRV both needed to win their final game this year vs DLS & MV to make the playoffs, but both finished 1 game out of qualifying. Neither has made the NCS playoffs the last 3 years either. If 2 are moving up to D1, I wonder how they determine which teams drop? What goes into “point totals”? Overall records?

If they give go with NCS Open will they still move teams up and down?

If they give go with NCS Open will they still move teams up and down?

If they go with an Open division, wouldn't that be done on a yearly basis? The placement into the divisions (and competitive equity) is an ongoing thing that wouldn't be subject to a team getting promoted and instantly relegated. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way BOD or Moreau can avoid getting put into D1 next year. I suspect that they'll have to tweak their formula for calculating promotion/relegation based on points earned in Open.

If they go with an Open division, wouldn't that be done on a yearly basis? The placement into the divisions (and competitive equity) is an ongoing thing that wouldn't be subject to a team getting promoted and instantly relegated. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way BOD or Moreau can avoid getting put into D1 next year. I suspect that they'll have to tweak their formula for calculating promotion/relegation based on points earned in Open.

Ok got you. Just trying to figure all this.
So is it every 2 years they add up points and move teams up and down?

Ok got you. Just trying to figure all this.
So is it every 2 years they add up points and move teams up and down?

They're supposed to calculate it every year, but it's a 3 year average that results in promotion or relegation. So in other words, Salesian probably should have been pushed up to Division 2 this season, since they won Division 3 each of the last two years (15 points each, meaning even if they hadn't qualified for the playoffs this year their 3 year average would have been > 8), and I don't see how they won't get promoted to Division 2 next year after 3 years in Division 3. I suspect that for BOD and Moreau, the only way they could go back down would be to not earn 8 points over the next 3 seasons. Given those programs, it's hard to imagine them not making the playoffs every year (1 point each), so if they win at least 2 playoff games in that 3 year period (which also seems at least quite reasonable), they're likely to stay up.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Salesian will be there in 3 more years, too. This competitive equity is likely to eventually do what most have wanted - force the private schools into one division.

Salesian nationally ranked.. should just be D1...formula or not! And just because two go up does not necessarily mean two go down...not like a league alignment.

Salesian nationally ranked.. should just be D1...formula or not! And just because two go up does not necessarily mean two go down...not like a league alignment.

Does anybody ever actually read the NCS' rules?

From above:

7. When a team is required to move to a higher division another team is in the higher division is moved down to the next lower division. The criteria to determine which team(s) to move down to the lower division will be as follows:

So yes, "just because two go up, it DOES necessarily mean two go down."

What division will las Lomas get into ? Div 2 or Div 3 . For cif nor cal . up 11 at Moreau w the ridiculous reffing. Where did this team come from? League record 3 wins none vs the top 4 teams

Last edited:
Does anybody ever actually read the NCS' rules?

From above:

So yes, "just because two go up, it DOES necessarily mean two go down."
Uh thanks... no I don’t read NCS rules!!

What division will las Lomas get into ? Div 2 or Div 3 . For cif nor cal . up 11 at Moreau w the ridiculous reffing. Where did this team come from? League record 3 wins none vs the top 4 teams

Yeah the math doesn't add up with this LL team. I would not want to see them on my schedule. Were they missing players early on? Last year they graduated that great trio of guards so I expected a pretty big fall off.

Which is fine, of course, but if you don't actually know those rules, perhaps it might be best not to make statements of fact about them such as "...just because two go up does not necessarily mean two go down."
Easy easy buddy... this board is littered with opinion, conjecture and non factual info. I wasn’t making statement of fact, just said something wrong that I thought was the situation. I am sure you have never done that... thanks for correct info

Yeah the math doesn't add up with this LL team. I would not want to see them on my schedule. Were they missing players early on? Last year they graduated that great trio of guards so I expected a pretty big fall off.

New coaching staff and I suspect their system just took time to gel. I did hear they were beating Moreau Catholic until a scuffle broke out and LL was assessed three technicals (six free throws) for players leaving the bench which turned the game around. LL got a #2 seed in DIII so they might make another run....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT