ADVERTISEMENT

NCS OPEN predictions

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Might as well get the thread/discussion started!

There is still a key game or 2 left to be played today.

PW vs CLET
SRV vs Monte Vista

By 8pm tonight we will have all the candidates final records in.

6 spots for 7 teams...

In alphabetical order:

Acalanes
BOD
Clet
CN
Heritage
Salesian
SRV

I will come back on tonight and give my prediction after the 2 games listed above are finished.

Reactions: larry legend33
@northbaybbguru , newman playing well. Great job by that staff.
So is Piedmont thing d4 not eligible. ? I think same rule on boys side.
Yeah I don’t like that rule. There should be some way for a D4 team to petition up. I’m sure the other D4 teams would gladly give up a NorCal spot to them this year and have them play Open, rather than simply crushing everyone in D4.

Reactions: larry legend33
Yeah I don’t like that rule. There should be some way for a D4 team to petition up. I’m sure the other D4 teams would gladly give up a NorCal spot to them this year and have them play Open, rather than simply crushing everyone in D4.
Heritage would also say thank you very much.

I put Heritage over Odowd for a couple of reasons.

1) Neither team has a signature win unless you consider Marin Catholic a signature win for Odowd...and if thats the case then youd have to consider Heritages 20 pt win over Monte Vista as a signature win for them also. BOD and Heritage are right next to each other in MaxP rankings (which to me as i see it the resumes are a wash) so ill go with the 22 win undefeated league champion Heritage rather than the 15 win BOD.

2. If BOD gets in that means that NCS D2 will get FIVE teams to the Norcals. The 3 Open teams and the 2 teams that go to the D2 finals. I just dont believe that should happen. NCS D1 is a better overall division and deserves the 5 teams to the Norcals. SRV, Clet, Heritage(if open) and the 2 D1 finalists.

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Acalanes at Carondelet looks very interesting. Who do we got winning on Thursday? I think Acalanes can get the upset!
I do not. I like Carondelet’s size to overwhelm and stable guard play to deal with trap. Caron by 12 to 15 is my guess.

Reactions: CaliHoops23
Oakland Tech's pressure defense rattled their guards second half. Acalanes plays a similar chaotic style. KK Lacanlale is one of the best PGs in NorCal

Reactions: CaliHoops23
Oakland Tech's pressure defense rattled their guards second half. Acalanes plays a similar chaotic style. KK Lacanlale is one of the best PGs in NorCal
Oakland tech has more depth and a lot more size than Acalanes. I think Clet's size, depth, home court and experience plays a large role in this one. Would go Clet comfortably.

In the other one I also think Newman gets it done by a comfortable margin. Heritage has not beat anyone this season. Newman played a very tough schedule. Newman at home with all their shooters handles Heritage.

I do not. I like Carondelet’s size to overwhelm and stable guard play to deal with trap. Caron by 12 to 15 is my guess.
and don't you forget, C-Let has the great kelly sopeck, top 100 most influential people in the women's game. That's +10 points right there.

Hilarious the Great Sopak…
Guy is average at best
Like Sue he was born on third base
And acts like he has just hit a triple

C-Let vs Acalanes is the most intriguing matchup. These teams know each other well, as this is an all Cal Stars playoff game (from both coaching and player stand points). Acalanes is the faster team with better complete guard play, in my opinion. Like NorCalTown said KK is on of the best PGs in Norcal. Acalanes may be young but these girls have played together a long time, they have more chemistry than C-Let. Track meet favors Acalanes. If Carondelet can keep this game in the 50's it would be in their favor. From what I've seen C-let has really struggled to guard outside the perimeter this year, for that reason I give Acalanes a slight edge with KK, Chinn and Hallstrom out there.

I think CN wins this game convincingly. Mertle can game plan with the best of them. Have to assume, they will cook something up to contain Muse inside. CN showed they can make opposing bigs work in the Mitty game. The Mitty superstar freshman probably had to work the hardest I've seen all year (that's saying a lot), held under her averages in points and rebounds. I tip my cap to Pena in that game. Heritage guards will have tough time rotating and closing out on those CN shooters. Brunetti will make the game tough for McClure.

Hilarious the Great Sopak…
Guy is average at best
Like Sue he was born on third base
And acts like he has just hit a triple
Sue and Kelly aren't average. Lets be honest here. Both are very good coaches. Now do either them do more with less like Doc has done over the years, NO. To suggest both are average ignores a pattern of longer term winning. Both are better than most coaches out there.

C-Let vs Acalanes is the most intriguing matchup. These teams know each other well, as this is an all Cal Stars playoff game (from both coaching and player stand points). Acalanes is the faster team with better complete guard play, in my opinion. Like NorCalTown said KK is on of the best PGs in Norcal. Acalanes may be young but these girls have played together a long time, they have more chemistry than C-Let. Track meet favors Acalanes. If Carondelet can keep this game in the 50's it would be in their favor. From what I've seen C-let has really struggled to guard outside the perimeter this year, for that reason I give Acalanes a slight edge with KK, Chinn and Hallstrom out there.

I think CN wins this game convincingly. Mertle can game plan with the best of them. Have to assume, they will cook something up to contain Muse inside. CN showed they can make opposing bigs work in the Mitty game. The Mitty superstar freshman probably had to work the hardest I've seen all year (that's saying a lot), held under her averages in points and rebounds. I tip my cap to Pena in that game. Heritage guards will have tough time rotating and closing out on those CN shooters. Brunetti will make the game tough for McClure.
The great equalizer is Carondelet and Heritage playing zone to avoid all the guard mismatches. I would not expect either Clet or Heritage to line up and try to go man. CN has too many shooters for this. Acalanes on the other hand I'm not so sure if they can handle the long zone.

The great equalizer is Carondelet and Heritage playing zone to avoid all the guard mismatches. I would not expect either Clet or Heritage to line up and try to go man. CN has too many shooters for this. Acalanes on the other hand I'm not so sure if they can handle the long zone.
Acalanes is a fast break team, Carondelet will have to limit turnovers and dominate the boards to get back in a zone.

Acalanes can knock them down from very deep, should be a fun game to watch.

Mertle and Gartner are praying they zone majority of the game. Let's not forget coaching edge, experience wise, goes to Mertle and Gartner in their respective matchups.

I am sure Heritage will play some zone but CN has no issues against zones. They are a well coached group. Some teams get lazy and launch threes early in the play clock when zoned, CN is not one of those. They attack zones for kick outs/layups, almost all their players can pass with either hand and most importantly they rebound as a team (guards and bigs). Heritage tried some zone back when they had both Muse sisters and some man last year in the playoffs. Neither situation ended well.

While I agree zone will help C-Let a little. However, they cannot sit back in zone all game. Their zone defense is not very good. They don't rebound out of it and they give up a ton of corner/wing threes. So essentially, their zone will take away from their strongest advantage which is rebounding. Teams that can rebound while playing zone defense spend a lot time practicing that in the offseason, not one week before a playoff game. C-Let is the heavy public favorite no question, I'm giving the edge in coaching experience and guard play to Acalanes. Which those two ingredients can spell upset this time of year.

Reactions: observer22
Sue and Kelly aren't average. Lets be honest here. Both are very good coaches. Now do either them do more with less like Doc has done over the years, NO. To suggest both are average ignores a pattern of longer term winning. Both are better than most coaches out there.
So do Kelly and Sue do more with more… they should have at least 7 or 8 open titles
Between them… how many open Titles do they have?

Doesn’t appear C-Let game on NFHS tonight. Do they have their own you tube channel ? Any other options.

Doesn’t appear C-Let game on NFHS tonight. Do they have their own you tube channel ? Any other options.
I've been unable to locate any YouTube channel, as I was trying to find film from the SHC game earlier this season too

So do Kelly and Sue do more with more… they should have at least 7 or 8 open titles
Between them… how many open Titles do they have?
Not sure what the open titles (norcal or State) tells ya. Matchups and luck play a major role in winning ships as it is one game only. I'd say all three have the same amount of open state championships, if I'm not mistaken. At the end of the day I think Open State Titles are their ultimate goal as a team, so all three have goals their still trying to reach. If championships/titles are the only criteria to being an average/good/great coach then MOST Nor Cal coaches should hand in their resignations and let So Cal coaches take over. Lets not minimize peoples coaching careers with non sense.

All three coaches are great. If your in the community giving girls an opportunity to play basketball at a higher level than they imagined, teaching them the game correctly, getting them to colleges that seemed unrealistic to most and making them better young women then your a top notch coach. Don't put your criteria's on these coaches. They putting in real man/woman hours with these kids.

Also, please stop the narrative Doc is making steak dinners with bologna and wonder bread. He has had Stanford, UW, Yale, Fullerton etc... players on his squad. Let's celebrate the fact he helped them on their journey instead of saying he's doing more with less its really getting old and disrespectful to the kids on his teams.

I've seen a camera in their gym but home games are never on NFHS or YouTube, must be for their Hudl account. Only time I've seen C-Let on NFHS during a home game is when they play it across the street at De La Salle.

Not sure what the open titles (norcal or State) tells ya. Matchups and luck play a major role in winning ships as it is one game only. I'd say all three have the same amount of open state championships, if I'm not mistaken. At the end of the day I think Open State Titles are their ultimate goal as a team, so all three have goals their still trying to reach. If championships/titles are the only criteria to being an average/good/great coach then MOST Nor Cal coaches should hand in their resignations and let So Cal coaches take over. Lets not minimize peoples coaching careers with non sense.

All three coaches are great. If your in the community giving girls an opportunity to play basketball at a higher level than they imagined, teaching them the game correctly, getting them to colleges that seemed unrealistic to most and making them better young women then your a top notch coach. Don't put your criteria's on these coaches. They putting in real man/woman hours with these kids.

Also, please stop the narrative Doc is making steak dinners with bologna and wonder bread. He has had Stanford, UW, Yale, Fullerton etc... players on his squad. Let's celebrate the fact he helped them on their journey instead of saying he's doing more with less its really getting old and disrespectful to the kids on his teams.
Nothing wrong about being average… Who the third coach I only mentioned Sue and Sopak … I did not mention anybody else in this conversation… this time

Nothing wrong about being average… Who the third coach I only mentioned Sue and Sopak … I did not mention anybody else in this conversation… this time
You said it in context with the quote you replied to. You asked if Kelly and Sue do more(than who???) with more, while replying to a quote that mentioned all three. Now last time I checked 3-2=1, who's the remaining coach... This time, next time, last time, straight forward or subliminal it doesn't matter; I get your take and you're entitled to it.

Don't recall saying anything about being average is wrong. Again, all three are great. All three have helped grow the game of basketball, if you call that average then thats your opinion.

But you notice I did not mention and third name btw other average or below average coaches
Gonsalves what a joke that year he was
Tabbed as the USA HS coach of the year..
Many times his opponents were extremely
Less talented… I was living in Stockton working as a trainer at a club down the street… people thought I was insane… I used to go to SMS games.. and have fun

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HoopDreamz415
Your reaching bro. I'm not an English major so if you want to stick to your narrative, God Bless ya.

Not even going to entertain if they do better than average coaches. Main point was the titles (or lack of) don't make coaches average/great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT