ADVERTISEMENT

New Liberty Head Coach and BVAL News

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
- Word is that Mike Cain is the new head coach at Liberty. I believe he has been the head coach at Prospect in San Jose.

- There has been a lot of transfer movement, with Clayton valley receiving roughly a dozen transfers. Majority from Pittsburg, but definitely spread out from entire BVAL.

- Heritage’s starting quarterback Jacob Wasso has transferred to Freedom

- Maurice Jones-Drew is spear heading an influx of players from East County Youth Football where his son played to go to De La Salle where his son will be an incoming Frosh.

If anyone else can elaborate or chime in, feel free.

How is Freedom looking this year ? I know Marin Catholic plays them week 0 or 1 this year

- Word is that Mike Cain is the new head coach at Liberty. I believe he has been the head coach at Prospect in San Jose.

- There has been a lot of transfer movement, with Clayton valley receiving roughly a dozen transfers. Majority from Pittsburg, but definitely spread out from entire BVAL.

- Maurice Jones-Drew is spear heading an influx of players from East County Youth Football where his son played to go to De La Salle where his son will be an incoming Frosh.

East County Lions are a good program. Not surprised at all

Interesting to see in the next few years the influence Maurice Jones-Drew may have in driving the best Youth League players to go to De La Salle.

Interesting to see in the next few years the influence Maurice Jones-Drew may have in driving the best Youth League players to go to De La Salle.
I’m not sure how you’d tell. They pretty much get a majority of the top players already. But I’m sure MJD’s influence won’t hurt. He’s a good dude.

Reactions: concrete17
I’m not sure how you’d tell. They pretty much get a majority of the top players already. But I’m sure MJD’s influence won’t hurt. He’s a good dude.
Recently the talent level isn't what it once was. Been watching them since the 80s, and I knew they were going to lose a NorCal game this year. Turns out they lost a couple

Reactions: bella123
Recently the talent level isn't what it once was. Been watching them since the 80s, and I knew they were going to lose a NorCal game this year. Turns out they lost a couple
I agree. Although I’ve said it before the coaching (ie. penalties, sloppiness, turnovers etc) level has noticeably been a drop off.

But, It’s good to get your dick knocked in the dirt and punched in the mouth (SF and Folsom games). I actually am kind of expecting a rise in the program the next couple of years. Maybe a little monkey off their back. Although I’d like to see them have a good OOS game on the schedule, to me if they want to be a program of that pedigree they need to schedule ambitiously.

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
I agree. Although I’ve said it before the coaching (ie. penalties, sloppiness, turnovers etc) level has noticeably been a drop off.

But, It’s good to get your dick knocked in the dirt and punched in the mouth (SF and Folsom games). I actually am kind of expecting a rise in the program the next couple of years. Maybe a little monkey off their back. Although I’d like to see them have a good OOS game on the schedule, to me if they want to be a program of that pedigree they need to schedule ambitiously.
Yes. they should schedule ambitiously, but they'll need to level up the talent to compete with national programs. Right now, they just aren't there. Losing two NorCal games in the same season shows that

Nearly every game last season
So they went 1-5 in the spring season and lost to Deer Valley, went 3-7 the year before that, had literally only one returning starter from the spring..........and it's the fault of the new coach? What was he supposed to do?

So they went 1-5 in the spring season and lost to Deer Valley, went 3-7 the year before that, had literally only one returning starter from the spring..........and it's the fault of the new coach? What was he supposed to do?
Point differentials in the seasons you listed in comparison to this first season is significantly different. The games I went to they looked significantly different too. Time will tell. Hopefully he turns it around. The BVAL needs another competitive team in NCS playoffs that’s for sure.

Point differentials in the seasons you listed in comparison to this first season is significantly different. The games I went to they looked significantly different too. Time will tell. Hopefully he turns it around. The BVAL needs another competitive team in NCS playoffs that’s for sure.

In what way did they look different that's reflective of coaching and not their talent base?

Seems like there's usually one other team besides Pitt that is a contender in that league. Last couple of years, seems like it's just Pitt. Has enrollment dropped at Freedom, Heritage, and Liberty? Those schools most recently ( along with Antioch and Najee when he was there) have provided the competition for Pitt. What has happened to those programs?

Seems like there's usually one other team besides Pitt that is a contender in that league. Last couple of years, seems like it's just Pitt. Has enrollment dropped at Freedom, Heritage, and Liberty? Those schools most recently ( along with Antioch and Najee when he was there) have provided the competition for Pitt. What has happened to those programs?
The district has transitioned to sending all the best athletes to Heritage. They will be absolutely dominant over the other Brentwood schools and probably the entire BVAL this year and for the foreseeable future.

The district has transitioned to sending all the best athletes to Heritage. They will be absolutely dominant over the other Brentwood schools and probably the entire BVAL this year and for the foreseeable future.
Wow. When did this happen?

Wow. When did this happen?
They started doing this a couple years ago. It's also the reason they moved Hartwig and the rest of the staff from Freedom over there. Look at the rise in all their sports the last couple years and you'll see when it started happening.

They started doing this a couple years ago. It's also the reason they moved Hartwig and the rest of the staff from Freedom over there. Look at the rise in all their sports the last couple years and you'll see when it started happening.
What motivated the district do this? Someone has to have vested interest in seeing Heritage athletics being successful. I'll be keeping an eye on Heritage going forward

What motivated the district do this? Someone has to have vested interest in seeing Heritage athletics being successful. I'll be keeping an eye on Heritage going forward
It's the prestige school in the district as the new school in the affluent area of Brentwood, and Hartwig has more pull than anyone in the district. Once his kids got into high school and went there, he wanted to make sure Heritage was the elite sports school and the writing was on the wall so the district pulled the trigger and made sure it happened. They want Heritage winning championships and are committed to making it happen.

It's the prestige school in the district as the new school in the affluent area of Brentwood, and Hartwig has more pull than anyone in the district. Once his kids got into high school and went there, he wanted to make sure Heritage was the elite sports school and the writing was on the wall so the district pulled the trigger and made sure it happened. They want Heritage winning championships and are committed to making it happen.
Looks like a Pittsburg vs Heritage rivalry coming to an athletic field nearby very soon. Pitt needs the competition

I may be naive on this, but do districts funnel kids to certain schools? I know the best athletes have a way of landing at certain schools, but never thought it was district driven

I may be naive on this, but do districts funnel kids to certain schools? I know the best athletes have a way of landing at certain schools, but never thought it was district driven
It's a model that has worked spectacularly well in places such as Corona (obviously with Centennial) and Oakland (McClymonds) to name a few.

It's a model that has worked spectacularly well in places such as Corona (obviously with Centennial) and Oakland (McClymonds) to name a few.
I understand certain schools getting most of the top athletes, but how does that work from a district level? I think what you described here is school driven, not district driven, but I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong

Reactions: bella123
I understand certain schools getting most of the top athletes, but how does that work from a district level? I think what you described here is school driven, not district driven, but I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong
Districts with multiple high schools are able to identify which kids coming out of middle school each year are the best athletes. High achieving students in PE classes and middle school athletic teams now get sent to Heritage when high school enrollment starts

Districts with multiple high schools are able to identify which kids coming out of middle school each year are the best athletes. High achieving students in PE classes and middle school athletic teams now get sent to Heritage when high school enrollment starts
So the district hires someone to watch PE classes, looks at PE grades (most tend to be an A for most kids) scout middle school games and then is able to funnel the best athletes to Heritage? :D

So the district hires someone to watch PE classes, looks at PE grades (most tend to be an A for most kids) scout middle school games and then is able to funnel the best athletes to Heritage? :D
It's not that convoluted, they have teachers across all the subjects in middle school recommend their best students and they send the best to certain schools based on what the strengths are. Heritage is the one that gets the athletes, Liberty and Freedom get students in other areas of focus. It takes about 10-15 minutes per teacher once a year.

In most CA multiple HS districts as long as long as there is "space" generally you can enroll in 9th grade at any district high school. The 3 Liberty district schools are huge (2500+) students and none are losing population. I am semi familiar with the area and I do not think it is tough to enroll anywhere for 9th grade. I know there is also some out of district movement as well between Pitt/Antioch/Liberty District. Also DLS has an influence on the area as well as does Clayton Valley Charter.

Leroy, your comments are soooo far off, it's actually comical. A school district does not cherry pick athletes to send to certain schools. I know for a FACT, that many kids were denied transfers this year to both Liberty and Heritage. Having family and friends that live in Brentwood, I can tell you that Hartwig does not have that kinda pull. He lives in the area that is zoned for Heritage. Thay's why his kids went to Heritage. Look at the obvious reasons for kids transferring out there. East County youth football has been dominant For thw last few years. When Ronnie Rivers went to Freedom, the East County talent followed him there. When Butterfield went to Liberty, the EC talent followed him there. When Rashada went to Pitt, the talent followed him there. Some of Pitts best players right now, are from Brentwood, right Paloma? Leroy, c'mon man, haha

And many of the parents of these kids are from the city, and other other inner east Bay Area places like Rich/Oakland. The talent (population/families) has moved that way since the 90s for sure.

Leroy, your comments are soooo far off, it's actually comical. A school district does not cherry pick athletes to send to certain schools. I know for a FACT, that many kids were denied transfers this year to both Liberty and Heritage. Having family and friends that live in Brentwood, I can tell you that Hartwig does not have that kinda pull. He lives in the area that is zoned for Heritage. Thay's why his kids went to Heritage. Look at the obvious reasons for kids transferring out there. East County youth football has been dominant For thw last few years. When Ronnie Rivers went to Freedom, the East County talent followed him there. When Butterfield went to Liberty, the EC talent followed him there. When Rashada went to Pitt, the talent followed him there. Some of Pitts best players right now, are from Brentwood, right Paloma? Leroy, c'mon man, haha
All of what you said is rebutted by the fact that the little Rivers got sent to Heritage as a package deal with Hartwig and the fact that he pulled some strings to get Freedom's coach fired after that QB transferred there.

Hahaha!! You done lost your mind!! So now they have trades and package deals in HS football? What's next, a salary cap? Now I know you lyin! GTFOH....hilarious!!

• Haha
Reactions: ararar and THEOC89
Hahaha!! You done lost your mind!! So now they have trades and package deals in HS football? What's next, a salary cap? Now I know you lyin! GTFOH....hilarious!!
It is verifiable fact that little Rivers and Hartwig went to Heritage together, look at the timeline. There's no other reason the big brother would have gone to Freedom and the little one to Heritage, the only common theme is Hartwig. Also explains why Freedom would feel the need to fire a brand new coach because of one player transferring.

Well there's one BIG reason Ronnie went to Freedom and little brother went to Heritage...Big Ron was coaching at Freedom and then he moved to Heritage. Hartwig didn't even coach for Heritage the first year the Freedom crew went over to Heritage. Your infatuation with Hartwig is weird...sounds like you have an ax to grind or something. And the whole thing about getting Freedom coach fired makes no sense at all. At this point you're basically starting rumors. Be better bruh.

Last edited:
Reactions: ararar and THEOC89
Well there's one BIG reason Ronnie went to Freedom and little brother went to Heritage...Big Ron was coaching at Freedom and then he moved to Heritage. Hartwig didn't even coach for Heritage the first year the Freedom crew went over to Heritage. Your infatuation with Hartwig is weird...sounds like you have an ax to grind or something. And the whole thing about getting Freedom coach fired makes no sense at all. At this point you're basically starting rumors. Be better bruh.
I speak only facts, not rumors. Name one thing I said that isn't 100% percent true.

I know that Leeroy sounds like he is smoking a pipe of crack and maybe he is…but I can tell you that the same used to go on at San Mateo Unified. Steve Sell was getting all the top athletes funneled to Aragon and was leaving San Mateo and Hillsdale with scraps for years. Laugh if you want and try to convince yourself that no one man has that type of pull before you realize that Sell is now the CCS Commissioner and the Head FB Coach at Aragon simultaneously and ask yourself how the hell he pulled that one off?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT