ADVERTISEMENT

New SHC WCAL Home

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Sacred Heart Cathedral will be playing their home WCAL games at the newly renovated Benedetti Diamond at the University of San Francisco.

Other home games will still be at Westborough Park. The SI game will be at AT&T Park.

Last edited:
Not a bad move at all...anything that helps our field challenges is great for both schools...USF gets to scout WCAL talent too, win win win

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
A great move for the Irish, particularly with the sophomore class they have. Don't be surprised to see up to 5 sophs starting. Surprised SI (as a Jesuit) school didn't capture their games there. Really look forward to see the new field at USF.

A great move for the Irish, particularly with the sophomore class they have. Don't be surprised to see up to 5 sophs starting. Surprised SI (as a Jesuit) school didn't capture their games there. Really look forward to see the new field at USF.

I was thinking that myself. I wondered why SI decided to play at Fairmont in Pacifica when West Sunset is right next door. Probably because it's in a wind tunnel but the USF field looks like it's more protected from the wind.

Also, watch for the football team to get more practice area when nearby Lang Field gets artificial turf installed. The project for the whole playground will be done by 2018.

I was thinking that myself. I wondered why SI decided to play at Fairmont in Pacifica when West Sunset is right next door. Probably because it's in a wind tunnel but the USF field looks like it's more protected from the wind.

Also, watch for the football team to get more practice area when nearby Lang Field gets artificial turf installed. The project for the whole playground will be done by 2018.
Why is SI not playing on their campus field? It has been a while since I was up there but it was a pretty decent facility

West Sunset playground (adjacent to SI) is part of SF Rec and Park. I believe one of the reason SI left years ago was the unreliability of the Rec and Park at that time. Also field reservation came under a new leadership and SI lost priority. Much like SHC at Funston/Moscone. SI made the investment to secure Marchbanks and then further investment with Fairmont. Pure and simple, SI did not want to deal with City and reservations and had the financial prowess to look for a more secure venue.

West Sunset playground (adjacent to SI) is part of SF Rec and Park. I believe one of the reason SI left years ago was the unreliability of the Rec and Park at that time. Also field reservation came under a new leadership and SI lost priority. Much like SHC at Funston/Moscone. SI made the investment to secure Marchbanks and then further investment with Fairmont. Pure and simple, SI did not want to deal with City and reservations and had the financial prowess to look for a more secure venue.

If that's the case, I don't blame them. Funston isn't very good now either. There's always people sleeping in the stands, the field is in bad shape and there's no parking around. The City could really do a good job on it if they want to. Same with Crocker-Amazon.

If that's the case, I don't blame them. Funston isn't very good now either. There's always people sleeping in the stands, the field is in bad shape and there's no parking around. The City could really do a good job on it if they want to. Same with Crocker-Amazon.
Rec and Park hired 10+ gardners in the last year. The fields in fact are much improved over last ten years. Not perfect but much much improved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT