ADVERTISEMENT

No. 1 in nation coming to West Coast Jamboree

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
DeSoto of Texas, which will be the MaxPreps' preseason No. 1 (and most likely for other services as well), has committed to the West Coast Jamboree.

Also in the Platinum field will be Centennial of Corona, St. Mary's of Stockton, San Joaquin Memorial and, we have heard, Archbishop Mitty.

DeSoto is led by senior posts Amina Muhammed (6-3, Texas) and Tionna Herron (6-4, Kentucky), with senior guards Jiya Perry (SMU) and Jamia Harris (Texas) in the backcourt.

It will be great to have such a quality team come to the Bay Area ... and the games will be at Las Positas, which is a great place to watch a game.

Duncanville is down a bit, but still very strong. DeSoto beat them last year.

Texas teams are not allowed to travel before Christmas, and Duncanville hosts the best tournament in Texas after Christmas. They are, however, going out of state early in December for what we believe to be the first-ever Duncanville game outside the Lone Star State.

DeSoto of Texas, which will be the MaxPreps' preseason No. 1 (and most likely for other services as well), has committed to the West Coast Jamboree.

Also in the Platinum field will be Centennial of Corona, St. Mary's of Stockton, San Joaquin Memorial and, we have heard, Archbishop Mitty.

DeSoto is led by senior posts Amina Muhammed (6-3, Texas) and Tionna Herron (6-4, Kentucky), with senior guards Jiya Perry (SMU) and Jamia Harris (Texas) in the backcourt.

It will be great to have such a quality team come to the Bay Area ... and the games will be at Las Positas, which is a great place to watch a game.
DeSoto looks stacked!! Wait.... Carondelet isn't playing in the platinum division?

Wait where did you hear that?
KS ducking competition…. Wow!!!!
news to me… Clay will tell you that is good coaching…Maybe great coaching…
Right behind recruiting

Maybe you haven't heard -- Kelly Sopak is now the coach at Carondelet. He always avoids playing in the most competitive bracket whenever possible

His teams are NEVER in the platinum division. I think even when Ionescu was playing for him...But in his defense, maybe they're not a platinum type of team yet. It's only gonna be a matter of time before they really start rolling.

MaxPreps national rankings will come out in early November.

His teams are NEVER in the platinum division. I think even when Ionescu was playing for him...But in his defense, maybe they're not a platinum type of team yet. It's only gonna be a matter of time before they really start rolling.
so then that statement is true. he does avoid the top bracket.

you have the top pg (imo) in norcal... you should not avoid the platinum div.. I have seen him do the same with cal stars at tournaments locally and not..

you have the top pg (imo) in norcal... you should not avoid the platinum div.. I have seen him do the same with cal stars at tournaments locally and not..
well he may have had the top guard, but those years the plat had teams with 2-8 way better. that is the issue.

There are a lot of strong tournaments every year. The Nike TOC is loaded too.

Reactions: OnBall8
There are a lot of strong tournaments every year. The Nike TOC is loaded too.
No Kidding:
Anchorage ChristianForest GrovePHH Prep Team
ArapahoeFremontPine Creek
Arizona Elite PrepGilbertPinnacle HS
BashaGrandviewPinole Valley
BeavertonHamiltonRancho Christian
Bella Vista College PrepHighlands RanchRiverdale Baptist
Benson TechHorizonRoosevelt
Bishop McNamaraHuntington BeachRosary Academy
Bishop O’DowdJserraSalpointe Catholic
Blanche ElyKennedySan Juan hills
Bonita VistaKonawaenaSeton Catholic Prep
Canon CityLa Jolla Country DaySidwell Friends School
CanyonLa Salle PrepSt. Anthony
CarondeletLincoln PrepSt. Ignatius
Cathedral CatholicLong Beach PolySt. Mary’s
CentennialLubbock-CooperSt. Mary’s Stockton
Centennial-CoronaMater DeiSummer Creek
ChandlerMcClintockSunrise Mountain
Chaparral (AZ)McDonogh SchoolThe Webb School
Chaparral (CO)MesquiteThunderRidge
ChristianMillenniumTroy
CibolaMilwaukieUpperman
ClassenMission College Prep High SChoolValley Vista
Clovis WestMoreno ValleyValor Christian
ColumbineMount MiguelVictory Christian
Crestwood Preparatory CollegeMullen High SchoolWest Linn
Dakota RidgeNew Hope AcademyWestlake
Desert Ridge High SchoolNew Hope JV teamWestminster
Desert VistaNext AcademyWestminster Public Schools
DobsonNiagara PrepWestview
DohertyOak RidgeWestwood
Elizabeth SetonOaks ChristianWilliams Field
EtiwandaOregon CityWindward School
EurekaPacifica ChristianWord Of Life Christian Academy
Example AcademyPerryXavier College Preparatory
Excel Hoops PrepPerry

Reactions: OnBall8
Where is Mitty on the list?
just guessing here, but multiple out of state tournaments are probably hard to coordinate between school and covid, and of course someone has to foot the bill.

Assuming of course the mitty is going to iolani. Has anyone seen a lineup for that tournament? Usually at least a couple heavy hitters make the trip

Question is PHH Prep a real high school?
Or one of those masquerading HSs
Also Excel Hoops Prep????
Or Next Academy????
Can Cali teams play those teams?

Last edited:
Texas teams have a dead period before Christmas, I believe, so they cannot attend the TOC.

Some states -- Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa, to name just a few -- restrict travel. New Jersey does not allow teams to play on three consecutive days so the only years NJ teams can come to the TOC are when it's Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday.

There are a lot more bogus schools showing up on the girls' side. The classic is BFL in Washington state, which is a club team that has its kids take on-line courses for those who opt out of attending in person. There's not even a pretense of a school -- a player could have all Fs and still play.

just guessing here, but multiple out of state tournaments are probably hard to coordinate between school and covid, and of course someone has to foot the bill.
Last I checked, Mitty costs $23,000 per year to attend. Don't think they have issues footing any bills. Some teams choose to just not attend.

Reactions: AtomicDawg1911
Last I checked, Mitty costs $23,000 per year to attend. Don't think they have issues footing any bills. Some teams choose to just not attend.
yea because a majority of their revenue goes to women's basketball.. I get that they (and other privates) have resources others dont, but dont act like it all goes to womens basketball.. get real

although Fan1 can speak for him/her self, my take is that families that have the resources to send their daughter to Mitty, and whose daughter is good enough to play there, will probably fork over whatever is needed to send the team to a tournament. suggesting that the point was that tuition fees all go to to sports teams is ridiculous. it's easy to knock down a straw man.

although Fan1 can speak for him/her self, my take is that families that have the resources to send their daughter to Mitty, and whose daughter is good enough to play there, will probably fork over whatever is needed to send the team to a tournament. suggesting that the point was that tuition fees all go to to sports teams is ridiculous. it's easy to knock down a straw man.
and you may be right.. my point is that it's probably not as cut and dry as Mitty not wanting to go to the TOC. As precedence tells us, the last time they went to the iolani they also went to the TOC. So MY TAKE is that there might be more to the story, notice in my original post I also mentioned covid. Maybe the school or parents or coaches are not comfortable sending the team out of state multiple times in a short time period. Maybe the school has decided that they dont want athletes missing that much school... I have no idea as I have no direct insight but was offering a reasoning besides simply "they are ducking competition" since I don't think they have missed a TOC since I have been following girls basketball... back to the days when the TOC was in santa barbara and I could drive down and watch. So as ridiculous as that may sound to you I could care less to argue the finances of families that neither of us know... hope that knocks you down straw boy

Reactions: GBBall4L
Spoke to one of the ADs at Iolani… He said the girls tournament is going to be Dec 9, 10 and 11… he said Mitty, Salesian and Centennial(Vegas) were the only mainland teams he could confirm… maybe one more…coming

Centennial will be a preseason top ten team ... Hawaii did not play last year, and is starting practice very late, so the local teams will likely not be as strong as in the past. Iolani, though, will be pretty good.

Are people wondering if Mitty not traveling is a financial reason. That is downright hilarious.

Thats great news out of the iolani. Centennial (vegas bulldogs) vs Mitty (cagers) over the summer was a very high level game that went to OT. Watched a replay of the stream and the place was packed with college coaches. A lot of great, well coached athletes on the floor that day. Game ended on a suspect no call, could have possibly went to double OT. Looking forward to a rematch in Hawaii if it happens

Reactions: letsski
yea because a majority of their revenue goes to women's basketball.. I get that they (and other privates) have resources others dont, but dont act like it all goes to womens basketball.. get real
Get Real! Really... Let me simplify: If a parent is dropping $23,000 for their child to attend the school, a trip to Phoenix will not break the budget. I also said some teams just choose to not participate. Maybe that is what is going on here. Wake Up!

@fan1gbball thats cute.. can't wait for the season to start so you people can at least have bad takes on things that happen on the court..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT