Menlo over Summit Shasta

Division V

Fall River over Escalon
Washington over Lincoln
Bret Harte over Upper Lake
Santa Cruz over Valley Christian
San Ramon over Carondelet
Moreau Catholic vs Central

I hesitate to cross the guy who did so well with his upset specials. But for the sake of discussion....

I like Christian Brothers in D2. University in a close D3 game. Shasta with another upset in D4.

Reactions: blex20
I hesitate to cross the guy who did so well with his upset specials. But for the sake of discussion....

I like Christian Brothers in D2. University in a close D3 game. Shasta with another upset in D4.
Hahaha. Smart play is usually to go against my picks

Those three games were toss ups for me.

Anyone know if Foster is playing for Christian Brothers?

Reactions: CaliHoops23
I like the pick with Kimball or Hillsdale. But speaking of Kimball...

Did anyone know that Dorvez was the head coach at Kimball? I thought he was at oakland high still? Just came across this article. He won the 1st state playoff game in school history for Kimball. Big time win for the program to make it this far.

Did anyone know that Dorvez was the head coach at Kimball? I thought he was at oakland high still? Just came across this article. He won the 1st state playoff game in school history for Kimball. Big time win for the program to make it this far.

Not taking anything away from the Kimball team or the head coach, but Kimball did receive one of the better NorCal seedings as a SJS school. Kimball normally plays in Div. 3 in the SJS (1,621 enrollment--175 more students and they would be in Div. 2), but landed a #3 seed in Div. 4. So they got to play down, and have possibly three (3) home games, because the #2 seed Arcata lost to #15 Summit Shasta. Kimball's SOS is currently 6.9.

This is one example how competitive equity didn't come out as one would think.

Last edited:
Marin Catholic beats Christian Brothers, 66-52. Unfortunately, another SJS is out of the NorCals.

Reactions: MC415
Yikes. What happened to University? The #1 seed in D3 had won 18 in a row and hadn't allowed more than 58 points (to Sacred Heart Cathedral) all year. How in the world did they give up 95 points to Caruthers?

Reactions: observer22
Yikes. What happened to University? The #1 seed in D3 had won 18 in a row and hadn't allowed more than 58 points (to Sacred Heart Cathedral) all year. How in the world did they give up 95 points to Caruthers?
That is hard to fathom, but looking at Caruthers schedule, this is the 14th time this year they have put up at least 80. They must have some sharpshooters.

Caruthers is very good and looks to play tough competition. University's only tournament was not a strong one; Caruthers went to Colorado over Christmas and then played in the Jamboree, where they played SRV, Lynwood and Fairmont Prep.

Other teams that didn't play tough competition struggled in postseason, but of course you have to get there first. An up-and-coming program may not be worried about postseason and just wants to instill confidence and pride with a good record. But a team that wants to do well in postseason needs to lose some games to better teams along the way.

I learned early in my coaching career that you and your team learn a lot more from losing than you do from winning.

That is hard to fathom, but looking at Caruthers schedule, this is the 14th time this year they have put up at least 80. They must have some sharpshooters.
I watched Caruthers beat a good Evergreen Valley team. They have big guards, move the ball extremely well and shoot a lot of 3s. Had very little problem with EV's press. I'm not surprised they're doing well.

What happened to Mike Turpin? He's been the coach there for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT