ADVERTISEMENT

Not Looking Good -- Mercury News Story

What’s the worst thing that could happen by allowing kids back in school and playing ball? Too many people have failed to ask that simple question of themselves and millions of kids will suffer because of it.

Reactions: Coach_Case
Will the worse thing is a whole team could get infected and they could pass it on to their parents. Parents pass it on to their parents or somebody else and somebody dies. Now is high school sports worth that or any sport worth it. A vaccine will hopefully stop the majority from getting it and only a few will get it after the vaccine. Now of course a lot of people will find death acceptable and will say let the kids play or its only old people that die! Skipping a year of sports and trying to get this thing under control is a good thing. If your student athlete has to play a year of Juco ball next year to get where he or she wants then so be it.

Last edited:
Are we the only state in the country not allowing our kids to play sports? So kids in California have to travel out of state to play which they are doing and will continue to do. Whats the point?

So I got an email from a friend of mine in June, saying we should get together. Two weeks later he was dead from COVID.

"Political bullshit?" Would you like to talk to his widow?

sorry for your loss Clay. I agree it's not political...this is some real stuff and people are dying.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Whatever man. Go ahead and try using someone dying to shut down my opinion that kids should be playing basketball right now. I’m not playing that game.

Whatever man. Go ahead and try using someone dying to shut down my opinion that kids should be playing basketball right now. I’m not playing that game.
It’s disturbing that you think high school sport is more important than individual lives. It’s high school sports it will not damage anyone to miss a year and wait for a vaccine to be distributed. We have over a thousand people dying daily and without restrain and restrictions it would 5 times as many.

Reactions: MC415

Coach-Case.
Surely you must realize this will affect your Credibility, and how people see you as a Coach. If you really don't care, then "That" even says a lot more
about you as a person and Coach. You do realize your Picture is up there with those young players. Take a close look at your self. I think you will find out you can do better.

Here's wishing you great hoops

So I got an email from a friend of mine in June, saying we should get together. Two weeks later he was dead from COVID.

"Political bullshit?" Would you like to talk to his widow?
sorry for your loss Clay. I agree it's not political...this is some real stuff and people are dying.
So you are saying COVID-19 and how it is managed is not political?

It’s disturbing that you think high school sport is more important than individual lives. It’s high school sports it will not damage anyone to miss a year and wait for a vaccine to be distributed. We have over a thousand people dying daily and without restrain and restrictions it would 5 times as many.
He is not alone. Pros are playing, colleges are playing and more states are playing high school sports than ones that are not. I am not saying we should or should not be playing high school sports or any sports but it seems that a majority of the country is playing.

The facts through a massive amount of contact tracing is proving that dining out, indoors or outdoors is one of the main reasons for increased infection numbers. Youth sports has proven to be very minimal with regard to increase spreading. Trust the science and the data unless of course we don't like what the science and data is telling us.

It seems clear until there is a vaccine we will not be playing high school sports in California. Fall of 2021 will be the next time we see high school sports officially in California.

I understand that opinions should not be limited ... but death is not a game.

If kids could play basketball without increasing the risk of death, serious illness or an overwhelmed health care system, of course I would agree. I would also agree that the primary drivers of COVID are not youth sports but rather bars, restaurants and unstructured social gatherings -- plus the refusal of many to wear masks or use social distancing.

Nonetheless, the cost of kids missing a year or two of sports doesn't seem to me be equal to the cost of spreading a pandemic that's impacting the whole world, even if kids playing sports only increases the spread by a minor amount.

He is not alone. Pros are playing, colleges are playing and more states are playing high school sports than ones that are not. I am not saying we should or should not be playing high school sports or any sports but it seems that a majority of the country is playing.
Pros have the money for daily testing and contact tracing with minimal fan attendance if any at all. Money talks and that is the only reason they are playing.

College sports, money talks but once again a lot testing of not daily along with contact tracing and team requirements of not having contact with individuals not on the team.

High School sports: 38 states played high school football this fall, none on the West Coast. Not all of it went without incident. Some teams were able to get in just two games. Teams in Florida, Mississippi and North Carolina had a rash of canceled games due to COVID-19 positive test results.

This is heartbreaking on so many levels and one reason it is hard to find solutions is we are choosing between bad and worse choices and few people want to be the first to step out and own that choice.

Also, everyone can point to the positives of their approach and downplay or brush aside the negatives so the conversation goes around and around we go.

This isn’t a new dynamic in our dialogue but few conversations are as difficult as how to handle a pandemic.

Pros have the money for daily testing and contact tracing with minimal fan attendance if any at all. Money talks and that is the only reason they are playing.

College sports, money talks but once again a lot testing of not daily along with contact tracing and team requirements of not having contact with individuals not on the team.

High School sports: 38 states played high school football this fall, none on the West Coast. Not all of it went without incident. Some teams were able to get in just two games. Teams in Florida, Mississippi and North Carolina had a rash of canceled games due to COVID-19 positive test results.
38 states.

Touchy subject for all. Whether our young athletes get the chance to play is up to us as leaders. Apparently many states have found a way to have some type of normalcy for their high school athletes.

Those of you that played in high school and college were able to establish memories that last a lifetime. Shouldn't California high schoolers have the same opportunity?

Just Sayin!

Those of you that played in high school and college were able to establish memories that last a lifetime. Shouldn't California high schoolers have the same opportunity?

I would agree -- but a high school sports experience can cover four years (granted some years are better than others). Given our situation, the sacrifice of one of those four years might not be asking too much.

Touchy subject for all. Whether our young athletes get the chance to play is up to us as leaders. Apparently many states have found a way to have some type of normalcy for their high school athletes.

Just Sayin!

I would hate for a a family member or community member dying to be that memory student-athletes created. There's no right or wrong answer to this...

oh we’re back on the whole Covid thing? Yeah, what a bunch of political bullshit.

WOW!! Who do you coach? Didn't you have some negative shit to say about the WNBA because they were kneeling? Of course, you took the post down but I damn sure didn't forget. Now this....smdh! I'd hate to have you around my kids, let alone coach them with your intolerance and ignorance.

For the record, there are nearly a quarter of million people dead from this pandemic in a little over 8 months. I right now have a good friend who contracted covid fighting for her life, 45 years old with no underlying conditions and in great health in a coma and on life support. And you, with your privilege on full display, up here talking out the side of your neck...again! Go on somewhere bruh!

Last edited:
Please spare us the sanctimonious criticism and personal attacks on those who advocate to resume HS sports. Note it is actually a majority opinion given 35 states are playing HS Fall sports, college football is progressing and we have completed seasons in pro basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, golf, tennis, etc. in both the US and around the world. As Streak One said we are debating two bad alternatives. Have you considered that the shutdowns you are advocating for are causing the loss of lives too from suicide and overdosing on drugs not to mention destroying businesses and causing poverty which also leads to the loss of lives. Locally Skyline HS had a football player gunned down and his HS coach said if the Football season had happened he would not have been running on the streets and be alive today. Does his life and the other lives lost due to the shutdown matter? Very hypocritical to only focus on the loss of lives on one side of this and be so judgmental. Cancel Culture is dangerous. As Rodney King said, "Can we all get a long?" Only with a healthy and open dialogue in our society will we reach a good decision. I advocate for not locking down and resuming HS sports in December with common sense pre-cautions. It has been working elsewhere and can work here in CA too.

Please spare us the sanctimonious criticism and personal attacks on those who advocate to resume HS sports. Note it is actually a majority opinion given 35 states are playing HS Fall sports, college football is progressing and we have completed seasons in pro basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, golf, tennis, etc. in both the US and around the world. As Streak One said we are debating two bad alternatives. Have you considered that the shutdowns you are advocating for are causing the loss of lives too from suicide and overdosing on drugs not to mention destroying businesses and causing poverty which also leads to the loss of lives. Locally Skyline HS had a football player gunned down and his HS coach said if the Football season had happened he would not have been running on the streets and be alive today. Does his life and the other lives lost due to the shutdown matter? Very hypocritical to only focus on the loss of lives on one side of this and be so judgmental. Cancel Culture is dangerous. As Rodney King said, "Can we all get a long?" Only with a healthy and open dialogue in our society will we reach a good decision. I advocate for not locking down and resuming HS sports in December with common sense pre-cautions. It has been working elsewhere and can work here in CA too.
-Football or not the homicide rate in Oakland is high period. Now granted if the killing happened between 7:00PM and 10:00PM on a Friday then I guess that assumption was correct. But if the streets coming for you they will find you.
-Suicide and drug overdose have been around from the beginning. That is a reach to say this is a cause for that. Can you say that some might have died because they were depressed? Sure, but that is about as blanket of a statement as saying all recent deaths are Covid related which people say is not true and the hospitals are padding stats.
-You cannot compare playing pro sports or even Division 1 sports to high school sports. The resources are not there for high school sports.
-Poverty been around and poverty does not start within 8 months. The state of being poor is amassed over time. Much more than 8 months.
-Rodney King did ask the question in 1991, however that is about as far a stretch in comparison as it gets. Police brutality and high school sports are not even close to the same level of importance.

And a majority of the states that are playing don't have the Covid problems that we in CA have. We're one of the most populous states in the USA. Things are different in Wyoming and Idaho....College/Pro is a different ball game because they have resources that most state HS's don't have.

Interestingly, the latest CDC data indicate that California had one of the lowest rates of new cases over the last seven days, based on 100,000 people (the most accurate way to measure the pandemic's impact). Our state was at just 19.8 cases per 100,000 people during the latest reporting period. Wyoming had one of the very worst rates, 128.2 cases per 100,000 (more than six times the California figure); Idaho was at 75.6 per 100,000 (nearly four times worse)..

Reactions: jordan24
oh we’re back on the whole Covid thing? Yeah, what a bunch of political bullshit.

To think we should be playing is one thing. To call a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands in the US and some of our loved ones political bullshit is beyond ignorant. The way you are talking I bet you probably don't believe in masks. If the people that think this is political bs like you all wore masks maybe our kids could still be playing sports. But instead you make it about yourself. I can tell exactly who you and what you believe using terms like "cancel culture" and "political bullshit." People like you are the reason we cant even have our kids playing. I think we should keep kids playing even with purple tier but in a controlled manner but I don't think this is political bullshit.

PS - if you say some dumb stuff and people get on your head about it that's not cancel culture, that just means your ignorance is being called out. I think kids should be playing safely even with masks but to say Covid is political BS doesn't make sense. I don't agree. Don't let the politics cloud the data. But I do want kids to play safely and I do believe it can happen but Covid ain't political bullshit.

Last edited:
Santa Clara County has regressed back into the pandemic red tier.

What pisses me off is if we ALL followed the damn protocol our KIDS would probably still be playing. Whether people agree on masks or not don't be selfish and think about the kids.

Reactions: ClayK
for perspective, we focus on death because it's so dramatic, but this illness is leaving brain, heart, and lung damage in its wake, on a much larger scale than Big D. we must blunt the spread of this virus. children grew up to be fully functioning human beings long before sports teams, or schools, for that matter. missing a season of basketball will be a small thing in the long run.

I speak as a parent of a kid who missed two seasons to injury, and to her credit didn't pay much attention to basketball in those years, I can say she turned out OK anyway. ditto for a kid who has to find something else to do this season.

for perspective, we focus on death because it's so dramatic, but this illness is leaving brain, heart, and lung damage in its wake, on a much larger scale than Big D. we must blunt the spread of this virus. children grew up to be fully functioning human beings long before sports teams, or schools, for that matter. missing a season of basketball will be a small thing in the long run.

I speak as a parent of a kid who missed two seasons to injury, and to her credit didn't pay much attention to basketball in those years, I can say she turned out OK anyway. ditto for a kid who has to find something else to do this season.
what is Big D

WOW!! Who do you coach? Didn't you have some negative shit to say about the WNBA because they were kneeling? Of course, you took the post down but I damn sure didn't forget. Now this....smdh! I'd hate to have you around my kids, let alone coach them with your intolerance and ignorance.

For the record, there are nearly a quarter of million people dead from this pandemic in a little over 8 months. I right now have a good friend who contracted covid fighting for her life, 45 years old with no underlying conditions and in great health in a coma and on life support. And you, with your privilege on full display, up here talking out the side of your neck...again! Go on somewhere bruh!

Praying for your friend and hoping it's in God's plans for her to make it out of this

Many are, of course. Others are not. And with COVID numbers on the rise, we may see fewer playing any indoor sport in the next couple months. It was one thing to play in Iowa when case counts were low there; it would be a different story now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT