ADVERTISEMENT

Now what?

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
With SHC's surprising CCS Open Division victory Friday, the NorCal seeding committee is going to be faced with a conundrum. Does the group place the Irish and their overall losing record into the NorCal Open playoffs? Logic, reason and fairness would indicate that there must be another NorCal team (or several teams) that is more worthy of the No.8 seed. What's more, denying SHC a NorCal Open slot might actually do the Irish a favor by placing them in a lower division where, in theory, they would be more competitive. But what about CCS itself? If its Open champ gets bounced from the NorCal Open, does the section lose that slot altogether to the benefit of another section? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Additionally, if SHC is denied a spot in the NorCal Open playoffs, what about Bellarmine, the CCS Open runner-up? Are the Bells, with a better body of work than SHC, also relegated to a lower NorCal division? Is CCS denied any NorCal Open representation? That seems doubtful. But it would not be a surprise to see the NorCal committee give CCS just one Open slot. Who that might be remains to be seen.

With SHC's surprising CCS Open Division victory Friday, the NorCal seeding committee is going to be faced with a conundrum. Does the group place the Irish and their overall losing record into the NorCal Open playoffs? Logic, reason and fairness would indicate that there must be another NorCal team (or several teams) that is more worthy of the No.8 seed. What's more, denying SHC a NorCal Open slot might actually do the Irish a favor by placing them in a lower division where, in theory, they would be more competitive. But what about CCS itself? If its Open champ gets bounced from the NorCal Open, does the section lose that slot altogether to the benefit of another section? Your thoughts?

There are many times in NCAA history where a mid-major team that finished in the middle of their conference during regular season and won their conference championship for their conferences automatic bid to the NCAA tourney.... annnnnd were greeted with a 1vs16 or 2vs15 first round "award". Whatever the placement, you can bet SH will play hard. At this point, everything is just gravy.

Reactions: AndThree
SH will make CIF, but have no business in the Open Division. I don’t even see the CCS Open qualifying teams (however many there are) making very many, if any D1 slots. There’s plenty of room from D2 down. “Competitive equity” seedings...

Streak One posted somewhere his 8, barring any upsets tonight.

To me that seems like the most logical 8.

Agree, don’t think any CCS team qualifies for the NorCal Open. Is there requirement under the new seedlings that a Section champ is placed in the Open. Because that would be the only way this year’s CCS teams could qualify. With that said, most of the top WCAL teams have an overall body of work to go to D1.

Reactions: colhenrylives
That is a real dilemma. Although none of the WCAL teams’ performances scream out Open division this year, it is hard to fathom having an Open division with the top 8 teams in NorCal and not 1 team from the entire CCS in the mix. You would think that they’d get 1 in there out of respect for the WCAL alone. It’s not like they are bad teams, just a lot of evenly matched better than average teams.

If they allowed teams to apply for the Open as they have in the past, would any of the WCAL teams even apply this year? If they all go D1 (or even 1 or 2 dropping all the way to D2) maybe 1 or 2 will get hot and they can salvage something for the league/section this year.

Reactions: jordan24
My take...Shakeups likely upon tonights SJS and NCS results.

1) Salesian
2) SJS D1 Winner Sheldon or Modesto Christian
3) Central Section D-1 Winner
4) DeLaSalle (NCS D1 Champ)
5) Weston Ranch (if they win SJS DIII)
6) SJS D1 Runner Up Sheldon or Modesto Christian
7) NCS D2 Champ - BOD or Moreau Catholic
8) SJS D-2 Champ St. Mary's Stockton

Bubble Teams (no particular order, but latest NorCal Preps Top 20/body of work)
  • Branson (NCS D4 Champs)
  • Dublin
  • James Logan (NCS D1 Runner Up)
  • Mitty
  • SHC (CCS Open Champs)
  • San Leandro

Reactions: concrete17
With NCS games today, I think there is a decision to make on Logan/Moreau. If you take one, it has to be Logan, but hard to not take Moreau after it beat O'Dowd for D2 title. Could they go DLS, Logan, Moreau and Salesian with Branson going to Division I?

Look at the CCS Divisions outside the Open. D1, D2, D3, etc.

Now look at the NCS and you even have hot competition in the Division 5 bracket. That's why I think the NCS is currently better.

If the CCS didn't have the WCAL teams, they would literally be like Single A ballclub compared to the majors.

And my comment is about this season only, and not past seasons.

I do realize at one point the CCS was strong and it developed some D1 players, even some NBA players.

Right now though, I would say there are easily 5-6 NCS teams better than the top CCS team. Maybe 10.

Reactions: AndThree
CCS does have the WCAL league. Salasian is the only super team in NCS. I've always believed that the implementation of the open was driven an agenda against certain types of teams.

If CCS didn't have their own open we wouldn't be having this discussion. Those wcal would be section winners.

Odowd and moreau did not face anyone until the division 2 final. Quite frankly, I don't think either team or Logan would win the WCAL this season.

CCS does have the WCAL league. Salasian is the only super team in NCS. I've always believed that the implementation of the open was driven an agenda against certain types of teams.

If CCS didn't have their own open we wouldn't be having this discussion. Those wcal would be section winners.

Odowd and moreau did not face anyone until the division 2 final. Quite frankly, I don't think either team or Logan would win the WCAL this season.
DaReal!

Reactions: da real
Clovis West is putting the finishing touches on an OT win in the Central D1 final... I guess they won't get left outa NorCal THIS year...

I just popped in very late.. don't know how many OT's. But they made darn sure they DID win whatever the last OT was... by 10, I think.

My guess
1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Dls
4) Weston Ranch
5) Modesto Christian
6) Clovis West
7) James Logan
8) Branson

Reactions: Renard Monroe
1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Weston Ranch
4) Branson
5) De La Salle
6) Clovis West
7) James Logan
8) Modesto Christian

Salesian vs. Modesto Christian would be an awesome first round matchup.

Sheldon vs. Logan would be something everyone here wants to see.

Weston Ranch vs. Clovis West would make sense since both are only 2 hours away from each other.

Branson vs. De La Salle should be played at College of Marin and would pit two defensive powerhouses against each other.

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Weston Ranch
4) Branson
5) De La Salle
6) Clovis West
7) James Logan
8) Modesto Christian

Salesian vs. Modesto Christian would be an awesome first round matchup.

Sheldon vs. Logan would be something everyone here wants to see.

Weston Ranch vs. Clovis West would make sense since both are only 2 hours away from each other.

Branson vs. De La Salle should be played at College of Marin and would pit two defensive powerhouses against each other.
Only problem is Modesto smacked Logan so I doubt they get seeded lower.

I’m hoping Logan gets a high seed in D1 rather then be a one and done in the Open division.

I don’t understand this rationale. Isn’t the goal to play the best???

One would think, but when you read the following from BOD coach Lou Richie (in the SJ Merc. article):

The CIF divides regional teams by competitive equity, not enrollment, and Richie doesn’t believe his team will be in either of the top two divisions.

“I think we’re a Division II team,” he said. “We lost to San Leandro. We’re not as good as James Logan. We’re not as good as Dublin. Those are Division I teams. They’ll be in Division I. Moreau will be Open.”

It makes you wonder (and it personally makes me lose a ton of respect for Richie). You just played Moreau in a close game, and you're advocating for them to be in the Open (they're probably a bubble team there) and you're trying to plead that your team should drop all the way past Division 1 to Division 2? For what, to get a state title in a lesser division? That's like petitioning to drop to the NIT so you can get to New York instead of fighting to get into the NCAA tournament. You're Bishop Freaking O'Dowd - stop doing petty crap like that!

df0d3508f0689614a9dd75ad3ecb1571feb7497fdcbf8481f772c369f14710eb.jpg

I don’t understand this rationale. Isn’t the goal to play the best???

I wouldn’t understand this rationale from the players either. But I just want to see Logan play more home games and have the chance to win against some really good competition.

I personally don’t think Logan can beat Sheldon, Selesian etc. in the open division. Teams in the open division are teams that not only have superior starting talent but they also are deep teams with good size. I don’t think Logan is on that level personally

I wouldn’t understand this rationale from the players either. But I just want to see Logan play more home games and have the chance to win against some really good competition.

I personally don’t think Logan can beat Sheldon, Selesian etc. in the open division. Teams in the open division are teams that not only have superior starting talent but they also are deep teams with good size. I don’t think Logan is on that level personally
You guys were up 8 against Dela with under 6 mins left playing only basically 6 players. Logan should have been NCS Champs. What are you talking about “superior starting talent”???? Btw, talent and personnel wasn’t why you guys lost on Friday.

Richie was just keeping it 100. I think every year you can pencil in who is going to be where the following year. After the Open final last year, did anyone really doubt that SC and Sheldon weren’t going to be back on the same stage in 2019? Salesian might have the only say otherwise but really I think there’s more jockeying than we can deny.

DLS really is the only school regardless of what’s on their roster year after year to say bring it. They are always in Open. They take their losses like men.

Richie was just keeping it 100. I think every year you can pencil in who is going to be where the following year. After the Open final last year, did anyone really doubt that SC and Sheldon weren’t going to be back on the same stage in 2019? Salesian might have the only say otherwise but really I think there’s more jockeying than we can deny.

DLS really is the only school regardless of what’s on their roster year after year to say bring it. They are always in Open. They take their losses like men.

Well now he can keep it 100 as he drives down Bancroft Avenue to play San Leandro in the first round. Schools with multiple state and NorCal titles have no business pleading for lower seeds.

The quote was very strange to me both in terms of the height that program has achieved and the type of schedule they play. I don't think you do that to play D2.

Reactions: SheldonCooper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT