Nov 27, 2013
Lamorinda Classic at Campolindo High School on Jan 21st

11:30 Castro Valley vs Santa Rosa
1:00 Dublin vs Piedmont
2:30 Silver Creek vs Brookside
4:30 Acalanes vs Pleasant Valley
6:00 Campolindo vs Antelope
7:30 Heritage vs Carondelet

We appreciate your interest in girls basketball. I hope you all can make it to the event, which is at Campolindo this year. We have a lot of seating, so bring a friend. I also want to thank Clay for starting this event and co-hosting it with Campolindo in the past. See you all at the games.

Art Thoms

Last edited:
Lamorinda Classic at Campolindo High School

We appreciate your interest in girls basketball. I hope you all can make it to the event, which is at Campolindo this year. We have a lot of seating, so bring a friend. I also want to thank Clay for starting this event and co-hosting it with Campolindo in the past. See you all at the games.

Art Thoms
I would have thought that the Heritage/Carondelet game would be close with the 19th best in CA against the 21st best; but I have to give advantage to anyone that beats St. Mary's. So my vote goes to Carondelet.
Otherwise I say:
CV
Dublin
Brookside
PV
Campo

Looks like Heritage was the right choice, although I do think they will have to bring their A game is they want to stand a chance

Thanks for the shout-out, Art, and a nice lineup. Should be a good day at Campo ...

Reactions: Campothoms
Lamorinda Classic at Campolindo High School on Jan 21st

Art Thoms
Should be a few good games here today. The best are last.
Campo 12-5 (after winning against Northgate) v. Antelope 11-5 (after winning at Cosumnes Oaks)
Heritage 14-1 (ranked 25th in the state) v. Carondelet 11-3 (ranked 19th in the state)
See you at Campo!

Northbay

Dont know all the score

Castro Valley 59 to Santa Rosa 35
Dublin beats Piedmont
Brookside 87 to Silver Creek 52

Great effort by Acalanes -- Pleasant Valley is a good team.

Nice win for Campo too, as Heritage will be a high seed in NCS D1. In NCS D3, though, two of the top three (Campo, BOD, Salesian) will meet in the semis. The D3 champ is Open-bound, I have to think, regardless of who it is.

You think if Campo were to win D3, they're an open team? I BOD or Salesian, probably but I don't think they have done enough to garner that.

Norcal_fan

Campo wont go to the Open because they have no history. Teams with history are select for the open. Teams that won state or runner up usually are the teams that are selected.

You think if Campo were to win D3, they're an open team? I BOD or Salesian, probably but I don't think they have done enough to garner that.
Getting through BOD and Salesian would be plenty garnerful. BOD should cruise through D3

Campo can definitely win NCS D3. If they do I don't see the runner up getting selected to the OPEN...

If Salesian/BOD play each other in the NCS D3 final the winner will go...and possibly the runner up.

as has been stated before only 4 can go from a section. And it looks to me like there are 5 teams in the OPEN running as of today.

BOD,CLET, CN, MM, SALESIAN

of course if someone gets upset in the sections that could change.

and just because they CAN take 4 teams, doesn't mean they will. Where the CIF places CW will have an impact.

Interesting how that can shape up. With SMS losing could they get dropped out of the open?

CN beating SMS really helps them for open seeding. D3 will be interesting but assume BOD is heavy favorite.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Assuming O'Dowd and Carondelet win D3 and D1, respectively, I think they are locks.

The Open case for the other three:

Cardinal Newman (assuming D4 title): Split with SMS, lost to O'Dowd and Salesian, one of which will likely be the D3 champion.

Miramonte (assuming a D2 title and beating Campo in the rematch): Will be the D2 champion and have only two losses, none since before Christmas.

Salesian: If Salesian wins D3, they are in, but without Sierra Smith, O'Dowd would be the favorite (loss number six) and Salesian will be the underdog to SHC (loss number seven). Hard to see a seven-loss team in the Open on the girls' side. Beating SHC might change that equation, but realistically Salesian needs to win both big games to go Open. If they do, does O'Dowd go in ahead of Newman and Miramonte?

This is where our lack of knowledge about what the committee thinks is important comes into play. Does the committee, as suggested above, take into account tradition of success? If so, Newman is the defending state champion -- does that count more than Miramonte being Open runner-up (despite losing national Player of the Year)? Does the committee automatically assume a D2 champion is better than a D4 champion (administrative reality)?

And then factor in Pinewood/SHC/Mitty in CCS. Do all three go Open, even though one will not advance to the CCS Open Finals?

In SJS, the D1 champion will go, but what happens if seven-loss Sacramento wins D2? Elk Grove and Modesto Christian would probably go Open with D2 titles, but would the committee factor in DeCosta's injury and presumed return for postseason if SMS lost to McClatchy, say, in the D1 finals?

It looks like three from NCS, three from CCS and two from SJS to me, unless Clovis West gets bumped north, in which case the choice would be which third-best team to take, NCS or Pinewood/SHC?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Assuming O'Dowd and Carondelet win D3 and D1, respectively, I think they are locks.

The Open case for the other three:

Cardinal Newman (assuming D4 title): Split with SMS, lost to O'Dowd and Salesian, one of which will likely be the D3 champion.

Miramonte (assuming a D2 title and beating Campo in the rematch): Will be the D2 champion and have only two losses, none since before Christmas.

Salesian: If Salesian wins D3, they are in, but without Sierra Smith, O'Dowd would be the favorite (loss number six) and Salesian will be the underdog to SHC (loss number seven). Hard to see a seven-loss team in the Open on the girls' side. Beating SHC might change that equation, but realistically Salesian needs to win both big games to go Open. If they do, does O'Dowd go in ahead of Newman and Miramonte?

This is where our lack of knowledge about what the committee thinks is important comes into play. Does the committee, as suggested above, take into account tradition of success? If so, Newman is the defending state champion -- does that count more than Miramonte being Open runner-up (despite losing national Player of the Year)? Does the committee automatically assume a D2 champion is better than a D4 champion (administrative reality)?

And then factor in Pinewood/SHC/Mitty in CCS. Do all three go Open, even though one will not advance to the CCS Open Finals?

In SJS, the D1 champion will go, but what happens if seven-loss Sacramento wins D2? Elk Grove and Modesto Christian would probably go Open with D2 titles, but would the committee factor in DeCosta's injury and presumed return for postseason if SMS lost to McClatchy, say, in the D1 finals?

It looks like three from NCS, three from CCS and two from SJS to me, unless Clovis West gets bumped north, in which case the choice would be which third-best team to take, NCS or Pinewood/SHC?

that is a fair assessment and all valid points..

I believe it should be 3(NCS) 3(CCS) a 2(SJS) also.
the biggest problem I see at this point is who is the 2nd team out of the SJS? D1 winner and ???

SJS #2: The D2 winner if it's Elk Grove or Modesto Christian and maybe if it's Sacto.

If Modesto Christian wins their league they will go D1 because their league is a D1 league in the SJS Section.

Nothbay

Where would you put Brookside come playoffs they might 7 deep?? Have you read the Prep2Prep write up??? SJS D1 is wide open for anyone to win!!! The question is does the winner of SJS go to the Open????

According to something on the SJS website, Sacramento and Modesto Christian are locked into D2. Now maybe they can be moved up, but it's done by enrollment and Modesto Christian would never qualify. Sacramento is way too small to get called into D1 as well, though Elk Grove could conceivably get bumped up.

No decisions are made until the Sunday before SJS playoffs.

Clay

SJS section is ran different then most sections. Brookside is in D1 with enrollment of 140 high school students. They the history of the teams and if a teams goes open they automatically go to D1 the next year. Thats how each section should work. I talk about this last year. This so a team can't dominate a low section.

According to something on the SJS website, Sacramento and Modesto Christian are locked into D2. Now maybe they can be moved up, but it's done by enrollment and Modesto Christian would never qualify. Sacramento is way too small to get called into D1 as well, though Elk Grove could conceivably get bumped up.

No decisions are made until the Sunday before SJS playoffs.

It's just like last year when Vanden got moved into Division II even though they are a Division III team but because they won a Division II league they got moved into Division II. Same thing with Modesto Christian although they're a Div. II team they are going to be moved into Division I because they are in a Div I league.

Nothbay

Where would you put Brookside come playoffs they might 7 deep?? Have you read the Prep2Prep write up??? SJS D1 is wide open for anyone to win!!! The question is does the winner of SJS go to the Open????

I would think that the team that wins the D1 section in the SJS is going OPEN. There are a few quality teams in D1 (that includes BC) so whomever wins it will probably get the bid.
The question, as always, is where do they take the 2nd team from... D2 champ or D1 runner up.

I would think that the team that wins the D1 section in the SJS is going OPEN. There are a few quality teams in D1 (that includes BC) so whomever wins it will probably get the bid.
The question, as always, is where do they take the 2nd team from... D2 champ or D1 runner up.

I think West Campus (Sacramento), Division 4 should be included as Open consideration. Currently, 13-3, their three losses came from McClatchy 47-51, Lincoln (Stockton) 45-61, and Brookside Christian 38-51. But all three losses came BEFORE the Johnson sisters became eligible to play.

After the Johnson sisters started playing for West Campus, they have beaten Brookside Christian, (revenging their earlier loss), Mark Keppel (Alhambra) in the MLK showcase, and Capital Christian. They play against/at St. Mary's of Stockton on Tuesday, February 7. If they go undefeated from here, they will be 22-3 going into the SJS section playoffs.

NorCal Open will have 4 teams from NCS, 3 from CCS, and 1 from SJS. It'll be SMS from SJS even with the injuries.

Once again the NCS depth is apparent. They have sent the most teams to the open each year.

Cptmycpa

Yes West Campus beat Brookside but what you was talking about the Johnson's only scored 14 points together against 4 players. Brookside played from the 6:30 left in the third with 4 players. If West Campus is so good because of the Johnson's why did West Campus go to four corners with 5 minutes to in the 4 quarter. They went to 4 corners because Brookside was going to wind if they didn't stall the game out!!!!!!!

Cant argue with the rationale above but the fact is they have not lost and should they win out, it could make sense to give them the bump.

Southbayhoopfan

I don't think SMS will win the D1 SJS section after what I seen tonight. Heritage hanged with them all 4 quarters even with the lopsided fouls( SMS 6 vs. Heritage 24) but the almost won any way.

I have a big question for you!!!!! WHEN IS THE LAST TIME IN THE CCS WON THE OPEN OR PLAY IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME???????

2013 FIRST OPEN. BOD CHAMPIONS
2014 SENCOND OPEN SALESIAN RUNNER UP
2015 THIRD OPEN SMS CHAMPIONS
2016 FOURTH OPEN MM RUNNERUP

2013 NCS
2014 NCS
2015 SJS
2016 NCS

THE CCS IS SO AND GREAT WHY HAVEN'T ANY OF THEM BEEN IN THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME??????????????

Southbayhoopfan

I don't think SMS will win the D1 SJS section after what I seen tonight. Heritage hanged with them all 4 quarters even with the lopsided fouls( SMS 6 vs. Heritage 24) but the almost won any way.

I have a big question for you!!!!! WHEN IS THE LAST TIME IN THE CCS WON THE OPEN OR PLAY IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME???????

2013 FIRST OPEN. BOD CHAMPIONS
2014 SENCOND OPEN SALESIAN RUNNER UP
2015 THIRD OPEN SMS CHAMPIONS
2016 FOURTH OPEN MM RUNNERUP

2013 NCS
2014 NCS
2015 SJS
2016 NCS

THE CCS IS SO AND GREAT WHY HAVEN'T ANY OF THEM BEEN IN THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME??????????????
Nice Respect! Good history recap. Take it a step further and the finals Match ups

BOD (NCS) vs SMS (SJS)
Salesian (NCS) vs Miramonte (NCS)
SMS (SJS) vs Miramonte (NCS)
Miramonte (NCS) vs Pinewood (CCS)

Finals have 5 NCS, 2 SJS and 1 CCS
Champions 3 NCS, 1 SJS and 0 CCS

If CW comes North the trend of 0 CCS will continue I would imagine.

So MM has made it to the OPEN norcal final the least 3 3yrs. And they havent lost to a team in the state of california(other than Chaminade in OPEN championship) in the last 2 yrs. MM only losses this year are to ORE #1 team and COLO #2 team. If they win the D2 section this year ( making that 4 straight sections), do you guys seriously think they are NOT an open team???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT