ADVERTISEMENT

Official Schedule for the Lamorinda Classic

if they win out, their 27-2 record will be compelling. mind you, they're not as strong or as deep as the squads of the previous 4 years, or for that matter three other section championship teams that I've seen. their record is a reflection of their discipline and style of play, but their chances of winning the Open is slim--their weaknesses are prominent. but then 7 of the 8 Open teams from Norcal will not make the state championship game. their arch rival Campo might do them a great favor by winning their rematch.

The biggest problem with the Open is this: The teams that are six, seventh and eighth realistically have no chance to win a state championship, whether from the South or the North. At the same time, if they were dropped into their enrollment divisions, they would have a very good chance to win a state championship.

So what's the motivation to be in the Open? Well, nothing…

The only way to change this that I can see is to make the Open special. That is, give every open qualifier a huge banner to hang in the gym, and some kind of tangible reward for players or the school. At the same time, the other state championships should be downgraded to division championships, so the only "state" champion comes from the Open.

But as long as the state championship banner that hangs in the gym is the same for the Open as it is for Division IV there's no motivation to play in the Open unless you are a nationally ranked team that can go head-to-head with programs that have multiple Division I players, and most likely a couple of Power 5ones as well.

What northbayguru is referring to is that both Cardinal Newman and Miramonte would stand a pretty good chance to win a state championship if they are placed in Division II or Division IV, respectively. In the Open, they are major underdogs, as Mitty is simply too good. (Mitty may be too good for anyone in Northern California, not just those two teams.)

Maybe, though, if qualifying for the Open meant something special, there wouldn't be this race for the ninth seed in Northern California.

That is the issue with an 8 team Open Division. You end up forcing up perennial powers who have a borderline resume this leaving the door open for lesser teams to win a divisional title.

Guru - I thought it was based on this year not prior years. However, MM track record over the last 4 is impressive and OPEN worthy. You have last years NorCal OPEN champion(potentially 4 consecutive section championships) and DIV State Champion fighting for what seems to be the 4th NCS spot(if the new committee takes 4 NCS teams) If Cardinal Newman wins the NCS Division 4, I believe it will be their first section championship. Cardinal Newman only losses to O'Dowd, Salesian and St. Mary's Stockton(split). Carondelet still has some battles left. I anticipate a loss to Mitty, which makes their February 1st game versus Salesian huge. 5 teams fighting for what should be 3 spots. I would say D1, D2 and D3 section champions(if Carondelet, Miramonte and O'Dowd or Salesian win). If they take 4 I would say add in Cardinal Newman, even though both of the D3 teams have beaten them head to head.

To repeat, we have no idea what this committee will do, and no idea if the Southern California members have much knowledge of NorCal teams or history.

If I were on the committee, I would base my decision solely on this year's results on the court, as, for example, a team like Miramonte is much different after the national Player of the Year graduates, and whether a school has won section or state titles in the past really shouldn't impact the 2016-17 decision.

We'll find out March 5 ...

Cptmycpa

Yes West Campus beat Brookside but what you was talking about the Johnson's only scored 14 points together against 4 players. Brookside played from the 6:30 left in the third with 4 players. If West Campus is so good because of the Johnson's why did West Campus go to four corners with 5 minutes to in the 4 quarter. They went to 4 corners because Brookside was going to wind if they didn't stall the game out!!!!!!!

"IF" West Campus beats St. Mary's of Stockton on Tuesday, February 7 at St. Mary's Morelli Gym, then West Campus will probably finish the regular season at 22-3 going into section playoffs. This one game can change the complexion of SJS Open consideration.

Mkbagdbd, ClayK, Winetot and Cptmycpa all make good points re: OPEN. I cant argue with any of it.
I will say it again....

OPEN SECTIONS PLAYOFF FOR THE SJS, NCS AND CCS. Then committee forms to pick 2 at large and seedings.

Takes most of the guesswork and uncertainty out of it.

if they win out, their 27-2 record will be compelling. mind you, they're not as strong or as deep as the squads of the previous 4 years, or for that matter three other section championship teams that I've seen. their record is a reflection of their discipline and style of play, but their chances of winning the Open is slim--their weaknesses are prominent. but then 7 of the 8 Open teams from Norcal will not make the state championship game. their arch rival Campo might do them a great favor by winning their rematch.

Nobody seems to be as strong as they were in years past with the exception of Mitty. Miramonte runs their offensive and defensive systems to perfection, has excellent coaching,doesn't have the athletes it has had in the past but is solid nonetheless with some excellent shooting and rebounding in its arsenal. They will get thrown in the Open and will potentially surprise some people and do some damage there as the level of athletic talent is down this year throughout and they will therefore compete.

Reactions: RespectBBGame
camaca, you hit the nail on the head.

best case for MM I can see is a #4 seed, a chance at a home win before getting bounced from Open (actually, best case is that they don't get selected). that scenario has lots of ifs--CW stays South; Clet loses to Mitty and better yet, Salesian; BOD wins out; Pinewood stumbles in CCS Open; CN has a loss along the way, SMS goes into a free-fall (well, by their standards)--in other words, unlikely.

northbay, your POV makes a lot of sense, but seeding would still be an issue

Cptmycpa

That's a big IF to beat SMS at home with their home cooking!!!!! West Campus barely beat Brookside with 4 players!!!!!!! lol lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT