ADVERTISEMENT

Out-of-State Games

LecheDeMiPalo

Sports Fanatic
Dec 28, 2010
No Trinity League vs. Texas game this year to the best of my knowledge but I do know that Balboa-San Francisco will be traveling to Florida to take on Wakulla.

Any other CA vs. The Nation games we should all be made aware about? Good luck to the Buccaneers this weekend!

Why? Bosco and MD have blown out TX schools. Bosco beat Florida's St. Thomas Aquinas in the Florida swamp heat last weekend and will be taking on Khuku-HI and St. Frances Academy-Baltimore in a few weeks. MD beat Bingham UT and also have Kahuku and St. Frances Academy lined up. I'd love to see a Bosco or MD game vs IMG Academy after watching BS High. Wow that BS Coach showed absolutely no remorse.

Why? Bosco and MD have blown out TX schools. Bosco beat Florida's St. Thomas Aquinas in the Florida swamp heat last weekend and will be taking on Khuku-HI and St. Frances Academy-Baltimore in a few weeks. MD beat Bingham UT and also have Kahuku and St. Frances Academy lined up. I'd love to see a Bosco or MD game vs IMG Academy after watching BS High. Wow that BS Coach showed absolutely no remorse.
No California school is allowed to play IMG Academy. There was a rule passed several years ago that a California school cannot play a school that is not allowed to play in their respective state playoffs, and apparently IMG isn't. Was the rule made specifically for them? Maybe. IMG has played in California before this rule was passed.

No California school is allowed to play IMG Academy. There was a rule passed several years ago that a California school cannot play a school that is not allowed to play in their respective state playoffs, and apparently IMG isn't. Was the rule made specifically for them? Maybe. IMG has played in California before this rule was passed.
@Larno51 I did not know that. Appreciate it.

Reactions: FBAddict
Yeah... I can definitely understand why they did that with football due to the high possibilty of injury, but I wish they hadn't done it for basketball...

There are quite a few top-level out-of-state tourneys (such as the Les Schwab Invitational up in Oregon) where academy squads such as Oak Hill, etc. play in the same bracket with high school teams... De La Salle even went up there once while I lived up there, and other CA teams have been there, terrific, prestigious event... But I guess CA teams don't go up there any more due to the possibility of maybe running into one of those academies as the bracket progressed.

That's too bad... I definitely remember when Westchester took mighty Oak Hill DOWN in one of the best prep games I've ever watched. Was the tourney championship game.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantera-cat
Yes…. IMG played Corona Centennial in 2016 winning 50-49, 2017 winning 40-20 and Played MD in 2018 losing 28-24….

It really is a dumb rule that CA teams cannot play IMG, any team should be able to play them if they want, Especially SJB and MD…. There is no point in not allowing teams to play IMG it’s not like they have to play them it would be voluntary….

I think it has to do more with the CA coaches are worried IMG will recruit their players, especially from the Top CA Teams….

Example, CA teams can play SFA and SFA is not allowed to play in their state playoffs and was kicked out of their league, so the whole state playoffs argument against IMG is complete BS….

The whole IMG vs California ended when people complained to the CIF IMG was pulling kids out of California. The same goes for Texas, they were butt hurt and put IMG on block. If St Frances started pulling kids, CIF would block them too.

Funny because the CIF allows the SS transfer carousel to go round n round.

Follow the green, and butts in the seats. CIF can’t make cash when a kid plays in Florida.

The whole IMG vs California ended when people complained to the CIF IMG was pulling kids out of California. The same goes for Texas, they were butt hurt and put IMG on block. If St Frances started pulling kids, CIF would block them too.

Funny because the CIF allows the SS transfer carousel to go round n round.

Follow the green, and butts in the seats. CIF can’t make cash when a kid plays in Florida.
Exactly!…. TX doesn’t even have a rule against playing IMG, it was just the TX coaches agreeing not to schedule them…. But in the 20-21 season IMG did play Duncanville in TX…..

Jason Negro from SJB was the driving force behind The IMG ban…. He was all butt hurt because IMG was recruiting his players, eventhough he recruited everyone else’s players…. 🤣

He is not worried about SFA though because no one wants to play for them…. They are in the inner city of Baltimore and don’t have the Facilities, etc that IMG has….

That’s why I always say, SJB and MD are Ducking IMG…. If they really wanted to play them they could…. They could go to the CIF and get the rule changed just like they got the transfer rules changed….

But neither team really wants that because they like to have the National Championship in their control and losing to IMG would ruin that setup…..

Reactions: pantera-cat
I never got that rule. First, how many schools are willing to schedule IMG Academy? Maybe 5 at most in the state?

With the way MD and SJB dominate CA, it would be great for those schools to match up with an IMG especially since they struggle to schedule non league games

The IMG rule is in place because they don’t belong to any league in their state. Very little oversight is why. They are trying to prevent teams from playing fake institutions like the one IMG Played on ESPN Bishop Sycamore I think they were called. Ca is not not the only state with these type of rules last I checked.

Balboa got smoked 41-0
They might gave got smoked. But I bet they did it with class! They came to the Corral last year. They lost but with class! They have respect and love from Oakdale fans. They had grit. They never quit! And after the game they shook hands and hugged our super fan( he is blind). Great sportsmanship!

The IMG rule is in place because they don’t belong to any league in their state. Very little oversight is why. They are trying to prevent teams from playing fake institutions like the one IMG Played on ESPN Bishop Sycamore I think they were called. Ca is not not the only state with these type of rules last I checked.
No it’s not….. it has nothing to do with league affiliation and everything to do with recruiting and ST John Bosco….

CA teams are allowed to play SFA who openly recruits, has no transfer rules, has no league and was banned from their state playoffs…. Nobody wants to ply at SFA so no one cares….

The IMG ban happened after 2 SJB players were recruited to IMG and the Coach was pissed and is a cry baby….

This should be called “The SJB Rule”….🤣

“There has actually been a case where they have tried to take a few of our kids, and there are no rules against it. They can call our kids on the phone, they can come to their living room, they can say, ‘hey come out to IMG; we will give you whatever whatever whatever.’ So when you play them, you give them a free recruiting trip to recruit your players,”

They might gave got smoked. But I bet they did it with class! They came to the Corral last year. They lost but with class! They have respect and love from Oakdale fans. They had grit. They never quit! And after the game they shook hands and hugged our super fan( he is blind). Great sportsmanship!
If Oakdale wants to play a city team they should schedule one of the Catholic schools. That would actually be a cool match up, any of the 3. Nothing but respect for Oakdale just a great example of a Central Valley town that values football as a community event. The Escalon game should be capacity.

Balboa has a coach who really cares and is doing a really great job but I would be interested to see them schedule some good smaller town teams who are smaller in enrollment and similar roster size. In your area, Rio Vista, Orestimba, Le Grand, those would be interesting matchups.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
No it’s not….. it has nothing to do with league affiliation and everything to do with recruiting and ST John Bosco….

CA teams are allowed to play SFA who openly recruits, has no transfer rules, has no league and was banned from their state playoffs…. Nobody wants to ply at SFA so no one cares….

The IMG ban happened after 2 SJB players were recruited to IMG and the Coach was pissed and is a cry baby….

This should be called “The SJB Rule”….🤣

“There has actually been a case where they have tried to take a few of our kids, and there are no rules against it. They can call our kids on the phone, they can come to their living room, they can say, ‘hey come out to IMG; we will give you whatever whatever whatever.’ So when you play them, you give them a free recruiting trip to recruit your players,”
SFA doesnt need kids from California. they have a metro area of millions to get players.

Did ESPN think that Mater Dei Catholic was Mater Dei? cuz....last week Mater Dei Catholic was on ESPN and they got beat soundly. Is Mater Dei Catholic a nationally ranked school? They are 0-2 versus local schools.

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
Do any of the old timers remember Nate Costa form Hilmar? I know at one time QB coach at IMG.

Did ESPN think that Mater Dei Catholic was Mater Dei? cuz....last week Mater Dei Catholic was on ESPN and they got beat soundly. Is Mater Dei Catholic a nationally ranked school? They are 0-2 versus local schools.
HA!…. It almost seemed like it…. But I think the premise of Scheduling the game was to showcase Julian Sayin from Carlsbad who is I think the top QB recruit in the country….

But during the game before when they were promoting it, the Announcer was talking about Mater Dei like they were actually The Mater Dei….. So there may have been some confusion…. 🤣

Reactions: myko98
If Oakdale wants to play a city team they should schedule one of the Catholic schools. That would actually be a cool match up, any of the 3. Nothing but respect for Oakdale just a great example of a Central Valley town that values football as a community event. The Escalon game should be capacity.

Balboa has a coach who really cares and is doing a really great job but I would be interested to see them schedule some good smaller town teams who are smaller in enrollment and similar roster size. In your area, Rio Vista, Orestimba, Le Grand, those would be interesting matchups.
Palma Salinas (Catholic school) played them a few seasons ago and from same league Aptos split the last two years. I really enjoyed the Oakdale stadium and fans. Nice place for a game and great fans.

No, part of the ESPN idea of highlighting players (Julian Sayin in this case) over better match ups between two good teams to promote said player.

HA!…. It almost seemed like it…. But I think the premise of Scheduling the game was to showcase Julian Sayin from Carlsbad who is I think the top QB recruit in the country….

But during the game before when they were promoting it, the Announcer was talking about Mater Dei like they were actually The Mater Dei….. So there may have been some confusion…. 🤣
Haven’t really watched ESPN in years. That said considering what they were starting to put out when I basically stopped watching it wouldn’t surprise if they thought there was only one Mater Dei.

Haven’t really watched ESPN in years. That said considering what they were starting to put out when I basically stopped watching it wouldn’t surprise if they thought there was only one Mater Dei.
Yes, ESPN is a sinking ship.

Palma Salinas (Catholic school) played them a few seasons ago and from same league Aptos split the last two years. I really enjoyed the Oakdale stadium and fans. Nice place for a game and great fans.
I see it this way. I was at the game. If you have been to the Corral it's not the stadium. It's atmosphere. Big city kids coming to the Cowboy CCapital

I see it this way. I was at the game. If you have been to the Corral it's not the stadium. It's atmosphere. Big city kids coming to the Cowboy CCapital
Salinas is also a Cowboy capitol with the CA Rodeo. I grew up with many of my friends having horses and cattle and a few professionals on the rodeo circuit. One friend/classmate team member I grew up with was the top bull fighting clown for many years on the circuit. Must have broke 20+ bones in his body over his career. Palma Salinas games moved from the rodeo complex where I played at to its current venue at Rabobank field. Unfortunately I am more allergic to horses than anything else on this planet and needed a huge doses of antihistamines before the games as player and fan. Sutter also had a great tradition with the riders on horses carrying the flag in the games. Nice fun venue as well. Salinas High mascot is Cowboys but they play in a great HS venue at the school known as The Pit. Old Salinas Sports Complex -> https://foursquare.com/v/salinas-sp...3f5a2937?openPhotoId=506f9ce9e4b08aa60431c406

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT