ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Bowl Games Thoughts

FBAddict

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2002
The 2023 Regional Bowl Games are in the books. There were a lot of great games this weekend and just a couple disappointments. These are the outcomes by section.

CCS section won 3 of their 5 games for 60% win rate against sectional competitors. Serra had an Open division bye so 4 teams will represent next week.
CS section won 4 of their 6 games for a 67% win rate.
LAS section won 2 of their 3 games for a 67% success. Fairfax had a bye week because of an odd number of total number of CA bowl teams. They will have 3 teams representing next week.
NCS section won 5 of their 8 games for a 63% win rate.
NS section won 2 of their 4 games for 50% success rate.
OS section's lone team McClymonds lost. Is this the first time Mack has lost a RBG game? I can't remember another time.
SDS section won only one of their 6 games for 17% win rate against other sections.
SFS section, like OS, lost their only game. And like the OS section, I think this is their first RBG game loss.
SJS section won 3 of their 7 games for a 43% success. However, this rate is not equally representative since D-2AA paired Grant @ Rocklin for an inner-sectional game. Of the 5 cross-sectional games they won 2 of 5 of them for a 40% win rate.
SS section won 7 of their 13 games for a 54% win rate. But similar to SJS, they had two inner-sectional games. At D-2AA, Orange Vista was paired with La Serna and D-5AA Ramona was paired with Torrance. In their cross-sectional games, they won 5 of those 9 games for a 55% win rate. And like CCS, Mater Dei had an Open division bye so they will have 8 teams representing at the SBG games.

Most of the games I saw were interesting but a few stood out.
The Grant @ Rocklin game was fun to watch, where Grant did much better than I thought possible.

The Pittsburg @ Folsom game was incredible. I kind of thought Pitts had a real chance to beat Folsom and they did not disappoint.

The St. Bonaventure vs St. Augustine game was intense. It seemed SA was going to win throughout most of the game but St. Bonny pulled it out.

The El Cerrito @ Los Gatos game was very competitive. It was a bit boring if one wanted the flashy, high scoring game. But tactically, it was one of the best of this weekend.

Some games that disappointed me.
The biggest in my mind was Clovis North @ De La Salle. CN did not come to play and DLS walked all over them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the DLS dominance but as far as a competitive game, it failed.

I thought Orland fell flat with their game with Woodland Christian. Orland had trouble with the game all night.

Although not unexpected, I was hoping South San Francisco would show a little better with Colusa. But I am happy with the small town win for Colusa.

I was expecting a good game between Banning and La Jolla Country Day. But LJCD just couldn't perform.

I'm running out of time this morning for this post. But what were your thoughts??

Last edited:
Soquel, first state title appearance of any team in Santa Cruz County history.
Smallest public school of any of the top 9 division teams going to the dance.

Think if we were in the Bay Area this would be a much bigger story.

While we're at it, why isn't Colusa or Woodland Christian getting hype?

I'm not sure what you're hoping to see. Small programs in the big picture, but I know the Sentinal is certainly ringing the bells for the Knights. Big deal to their local communities, but I actually don't think it would be much bigger if it was a San Jose school.

For what it's worth, I'm heavily leaning towards going to Pasadena to see this game over De La Salle vs Mission Viejo. For me, I do like and appreciate the local interest, but I fully recognize I'll be in the minority for this choice.

Reactions: FBAddict
While we're at it, why isn't Colusa or Woodland Christian getting hype?

I'm not sure what you're hoping to see. Small programs in the big picture, but I know the Sentinal is certainly ringing the bells for the Knights. Big deal to their local communities, but I actually don't think it would be much bigger if it was a San Jose school.

For what it's worth, I'm heavily leaning towards going to Pasadena to see this game over De La Salle vs Mission Viejo. For me, I do like and appreciate the local interest, but I fully recognize I'll be in the minority for this choice.
I think maybe i’d just expect more coverage from the sites that cover norcal high school football. I saw stories on Christopher, Casa Roble, Colusa, S San Fran, Palma, and of course all the bigger names.

Basically the only time we’re mentioned is a blurb about how our opponent is gonna beat us. lol

I mean, we use it for added motivation with our players, so not the worst thing. But would love to see our players getting more recognition.

Going from a C league school to D2 CCS champs and then norcal in a span of 3 years at a school w/ a 1,000 students, couldn’t have happened many times before.

I think maybe i’d just expect more coverage from the sites that cover norcal high school football. I saw stories on Christopher, Casa Roble, Colusa, S San Fran, Palma, and of course all the bigger names.

Basically the only time we’re mentioned is a blurb about how our opponent is gonna beat us. lol

I mean, we use it for added motivation with our players, so not the worst thing. But would love to see our players getting more recognition.

Going from a C league school to D2 CCS champs and then norcal in a span of 3 years at a school w/ a 1,000 students, couldn’t have happened many times before.

So, why don't you post one of the articles from the Sentinal?

So, why don't you post one of the articles from the Sentinal?
Let’s face it, the Sentinel is one of the least read/recognized publications in the state.

You’d prob know better than me. When was the last time a small public school went from C league to A league state title game over a 3 year span?

You don’t think it’s odd that all the sites that cover norcal high school football are covering every team we play but not us?
If my job was to cover norcal high school sports, i’d know everything about our story. But that’s just my personality. I’m gonna be the most informed person in everything I do.

When the teams finally get up to this level the cream rises to the top, to use one cliche. Or in other cases weaknesses that are not apparent against lesser opponents are exposed by better opponents. Rocklin had a very good season based on rugged line play and defense but ran into a Grant team that had that too plus some D-1 level skill players. Escalon had size and toughness that enabled them to wear down their opponents but long grinding drives don't always lead to victory when the opponent has superior speed and can strike in 3 or 4 plays. Although it sometimes does work, as it did a number of years ago in the state championship game in a quagmire in Carson. Escalon played Madison of San Diego, a team dependent on passing and finesse, and in the rain and mud the kids from the valley who were used to playing in those conditions overpowered and neutralized the Madison offense. Folsom did not have as many skill players as they have had in the past but their quarterback clearly was the difference in a game that could have gone either way. I flipped back and forth on NFHS between the Folsom/Pittsburg game and the Hughson/Palma game, and Hughson had a similar fate as Escalon, although in a closer game, as Palma had a couple of skill position players that made a difference. I'm looking forward to watching the games this weekend. Not sure if I'll watch the Serra game, maybe for a little while, but the other games could be interesting. Always looking for the North teams to win, although a couple of the games are against Central section teams and I don't consider them Southern California.

Let’s face it, the Sentinel is one of the least read/recognized publications in the state.

You’d prob know better than me. When was the last time a small public school went from C league to A league state title game over a 3 year span?

You don’t think it’s odd that all the sites that cover norcal high school football are covering every team we play but not us?
If my job was to cover norcal high school sports, i’d know everything about our story. But that’s just my personality. I’m gonna be the most informed person in everything I do.
I read the Sentinel Sports frequently. Very good newspaper.

It's not too late to get into high school sports media....

Palma didn't get some massive coverage outside of their local media either. It is pretty cool to have the first Monterey and Santa Cruz County state representatives in the same year. Thats not going to get some massive amount of page clicks though.

The equity league format is still relatively new so there isn't much history to tout for being a C league to state title game team. They also have only won a league title one time since 2009 so their rise hasn't exactly been some rampage to success. I agree it is impressive.

I am a fan of what you guys have going on over in Soquel so if you write the artcile I will read it. Probably have to win state to expect any media outside of the local market.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
I was in Las Vegas during the week and caught a terrible flu and back early enough to watch Soquel, and Palma and checked out at different points of time Los Gatos, DLS, and some of the Grant game and nothing like HS football to take the mind off being miserable. Soquel looks like they are playing there best football and for first time this season I was impressed by Palma play calling and the team executed really well. I watched the Mission Oaks game on demand (they play Palma) and they have a really good slot playmaker and their QB is also a playmaker. Should be a tough championship game for Palma. Putting up my Christmas lights up late this year and will have to put them up between breaks in the action this weekend.

Reactions: WCAL88 and FBAddict

Dude, you'd be lucky if anyone got your school's record right or knew how to properly pronounce "So-kwell", as the NFHS people have been routinely calling it.

Really, the story is nice. Please don't tarnish it by whining the way that Clovis North did.

Soquel, first state title appearance of any team in Santa Cruz County history.
Smallest public school of any of the top 9 division teams going to the dance.

Think if we were in the Bay Area this would be a much bigger story.
One way to get the buzz out is to post on NCP. A lot of people on this board have unofficially repped their Alma-maters, schools they support, sections, leagues, and or region rather effectively. Many members are very knowledgeable about specific programs and the information is always welcomed. If you have knowledge about a program feel free to share it! In many instances, it’s helped bring us exposure and awareness of various schools.

We debate, share updates, predict scores, argue like old men, complain about the CIF, etc. But when it comes to the State Bowl games, we usually unite in solidarity to root on the NorCal teams.

Dude, you'd be lucky if anyone got your school's record right or knew how to properly pronounce "So-kwell", as the NFHS people have been routinely calling it.

Really, the story is nice. Please don't tarnish it by whining the way that Clovis North did.
Ha ha. Ya, the sokwell thing is classic.

Not whining. I’m honestly just trying to get a lay of the land. Basically it seems like if you’re on this side of 17, nobody’s gonna pay attention to you really.

We’re scheduling games to put us on the map tho. We’re being proactive on our end.

One way to get the buzz out is to post on NCP. A lot of people on this board have unofficially repped their Alma-maters, schools they support, sections, leagues, and or region rather effectively. Many members are very knowledgeable about specific programs and the information is always welcomed. If you have knowledge about a program feel free to share it! In many instances, it’s helped bring us exposure and awareness of various schools.

We debate, share updates, predict scores, argue like old men, complain about the CIF, etc. But when it comes to the State Bowl games, we usually unite in solidarity to root on the NorCal teams.
Ya, that’s basically what i’m doing. I’ve tried to share as much as I can w/o giving away any sort of strategic advantage.

I think if you’re from this area you understand how insane it is to make it this far in football. We were literally picked by most publications to finish 6th in the Gabilan. We came into the season ranked like 390. We’re 73 now.

Anyways, like I said, we use it. It gets our boys fired up. So not the worst thing in the world. And we got some preseason games that should get us on the radar next year.

I can tell you watched the game. It was irritating listening the announcer butcher the name Soquel. LOL

In general, big-city and even medium-city newspapers have almost completely stopped paying attention to high-school sports, at least here in California. Maybe one or two articles per season, and rarely any timely (or correct) scores.

Remember the days when results showed up in the paper the next day without fail? Even those were the result of an answering machine that took scores from the coaches, and one guy who wrote those down for the next day's edition. And every coach I ever talked to about calling in scores HATED it.

So, as mentioned above (while I was typing up this post), best way to get some noise about your team is basically to make the noise yourself.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
In general, big-city and even medium-city newspapers have almost completely stopped paying attention to high-school sports, at least here in California. Maybe one or two articles per season, and rarely any timely (or correct) scores.

Remember the days when results showed up in the paper the next day without fail? Even those were the result of an answering machine that took scores from the coaches, and one guy who wrote those down for the next day's edition. And every coach I ever talked to about calling in scores HATED it.

So, as mentioned above (while I was typing up this post), best way to get some noise about your team is basically to make the noise yourself.
Ya, I was more pointing out places that are literally covering norcal high school sports as what they do. The one that killed me was Cal-hi sports was congratulating everyone that made it. They did write-ups on every team we faced. Always picking us to lose.
Then when we’re up big on Casa Roble all the managed was “weird that Soquel is up so big.” No congrats. No write up. No “well I guess we missed on those guys.”

Maybe it’s just a part time thing for these publications tho. I don’t know.

Ya, I was more pointing out places that are literally covering norcal high school sports as what they do. The one that killed me was Cal-hi sports was congratulating everyone that made it. They did write-ups on every team we faced. Always picking us to lose.
Then when we’re up big on Casa Roble all the managed was “weird that Soquel is up so big.” No congrats. No write up. No “well I guess we missed on those guys.”

Maybe it’s just a part time thing for these publications tho. I don’t know.
Well, you’re effectively promoting the program! I’ll have to check Soquel out sometime this week on NFHS.

BTW—- Soquel had a real nice write up in the SacBee.

Actually The SJ Merc got me back as a subscriber last year when they made a big push to cover HS sports throughout the broader SF Bay area of CCS and NCS. About 20 years ago, I did a series pitting the Merc against the Chronicle in a scoring system that acted like FB scores for their quantity and quality of articles covering high school football. Generally both scored really low with the Chronicle being slightly ahead at the end of the season. Today if I do something similar - like compare the 2004 Merc to the 2023 Merc - the 2023 version would be Serra and the 2004 version would be like CCS's James Lick. It is a whole heck a lot better than back then. Still, I would like to see even more.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
I watched the Mission Oaks game on demand (they play Palma) and they have a really good slot playmaker and their QB is also a playmaker. Should be a tough championship game for Palma.

I'm not sure Mission Oak could beat Aptos or Carmel. Palma should win by 14-20. Watching them was like watching MHAL football.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Mission Oak could beat Aptos or Carmel. Palma should win by 14-20. Watching them was like watching MHAL football.
Lots of speed on Mission Oaks. I hope you are right. I know Palma has speed and Molinari was back last game on defense but they will have to play strong on the edges and disciplined to contain the QB.

Lots of speed on Mission Oaks. I hope you are right. I know Palma has speed and Molinari was back last game on defense but they will have to play strong on the edges and disciplined to contain the QB.
Palma strength is their speed and this Mission Oaks team doesn’t look very physical at all

Reactions: Cal 14
GUYS...What has happened is all the Newspapers have cut way back going back many years and what is left one person or maybe two trying to carry the load and not going to any games that only saw only maybe two quarters.
Its up to you guys out their to sit down at the game and tel what you saw in detail...We have too many arm chair quarterbacks out there don't go to a complete game and go by hear say as to what has happened. Go to and watchh a complete game and see what really happen....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT