ADVERTISEMENT

Parents of Players

hasbeen32

Superstar
Apr 30, 2008
This is for the parents who have kids that have achieved scholarships to play ball; Jsquare, Brew, Ihop etc: If your child has been fortunate enough to get a scholarship playing ball, can you share with us what was the development process like? Did you hire people to work on your kids games? When did you realize that a scholarship playing ball was a real possibility? Did they play for great coaches who helped mold them? Were they gym rats? Did they get out there and make it happen with or without outside influences? What advice would you give parents who think their kids may have what it takes to get to the next level?

Responses????
This post was edited on 7/20 2:45 PM by hasbeen32

hey hasbeen, i played football for topcat39 and he was a great coach, hasbeen 32 i played hs baseball and jc baseball and jc football i played in adult basketball leagues but i kept running into the same guy that humiliated me in hs and then in adult leagues, i dont have a masters degree but i have a costco card, the only two pac 10 players that come to mind out of sf is dewane fontana and jaha wilson, akilii smith from lowell and i know you are not one of them who ru? pacpetey

Better be able to back your game up in the classroom, or you'll never see that scholie. Hope this thread don't circle a dead end street.
laugh.gif

go PADRES!!!!

You know hasbeen32 , I believe I speak for all of the parents that you mentioned when I say it is a blessing to have a college coach sit your child down and say to them, "I am offering you a full scholarship to play ball at our University".

I am here to tell you, it doesn't happen over night. It is really funny when I look back on this entire process it makes me smile. I don't know if you have any children but believe me every mom and dad thinks their kid is the best one on the team, should play the point and shoot the ball every time he or she touches it!

It all started when they were 5 years old at the Eastlake YMCA with a coach by the name of Shorty, with the rollout courts. They would have sleep overs and you could see back then the kids that were heads and shoulders above the other kids! Frank Otis, Jared Cunningham, Kareem Nitoto, at 5 years old.

Back then, we would never pay anyone to teach our kids how to play basketball. They would learn from the older kids whooping their buts every day, just like we did. There was the MVP Flight Basketball Group, and the Rebels organization that you could pay $500 a kid just to be a part of their group, we didn’t have $500 for that in those days. We had the YMCA, where it was free!

I honestly believed my boys had a chance to get a scholarship, ability wise in Jr. high school. They were playing with and against high school kids that were already being recruited by college coaches. As far as academics and qualifying, I truly did not believe they would have their college paid for by any university until they went to Saint Mary’s College High School in Berkeley.

When the kid can play a little bit better than the other kids, they start feeling themselves. You have to keep you child humble and let them know they haven’t accomplished anything until they go to college and get that degree. Getting there is easy because they can play, not getting used by the system is the key. It is a business and it is their job to handle their business and get that degree.

All basketball players have holes in their games. It’s the kids that have dads like IHOP@ and Jsquare that will not only tell their kids but will get out there and show them what it is they need to work on to become a better basketball player. The dads know their kids games better then the kid does! Chris can’t break me because I know when he is about to try because he raises up on his dribble, I have seen him do it a million times.

Before you decide on a high school for your child, please get to know the head coach at that high school. It’s just like you are dropping your 2 year old child off to a new baby sitter. Before you just drop your kid off, you would want to know a little bit about the person that you are intrusting your child with. Who they are, where did they come from, what are they going to do with and for your child while they have him. . Will the your child learn anything while he or she is with that person. What is that person’s track record?

My kids have had a great coach in Manny Nodar and I can say that loud and clear. Most parents have to understand that it starts with them. If you teach your kid to be coachable then it’s a much easier job for the head coach to get your child where he wants to be. No one wants to deal with a smart ass kid that thinks he knows more than the coach.
Teach your kids to play DEFENCE. Everyone can score but not everyone can stop someone from scoring. Defence takes heart, drive and determination. I can teach you to shoot, I can teach you to dribble but believe me there is no Mr. Wizard you can go and see to get a heart. You are either born with it or you just don’t have one. The court does not lie!! Brew

Brew,

Great post man. It's interesting that you can look back to Jr. High and see that it was then that they may be able to achieve that dream. In an earlier post, I shared similar sentiments with Jsquare about some of the Riordan kids; They made names for themselves in jr. high, and you could tell that they had a chance to be special.
Another great point is the one you made about choosing a good high school coach. I see that you really believe that Coach Nodar has helped your kids.
Not trying to be too much into your business, and if you decline to answer, I understand. My question is this though; Why was St. Marys chosen over Bisho O'Dowd? Was it just a fit? Style of play? Education?
I'd like to hear from other parents as well if they have kids who have gone through this process too....
Again, great post Brew...

O'Dowd is a great school and has been a powerhouse in Baskeball for many years. The education at Saint Mary's is second to none. The first day we talked to Coach Nodar we knew it was the place for the boys. The school is great and Manny played the style of ball my boys love, preasure defence and pushing the ball up the floor. Go where it's a good fit, and not where you are trying to fit in!!! Brew.

This is my first-ever post on this site but I wanted to echo most of what Web wrote earlier. My two sons are Reeves and Raymond Nelson. While Ray has yet to garner as much attention as his older brother, most of you are probably aware that Reeves has verbally committed to play basketball at U.C.L.A. after his senior year at Modesto Christian High School.

Speaking on behalf of Reeves, I was confident that, at age 12, he would play college sports, with the free education that comes with a full-ride scholarship. What I wasn't sure of, at that time, was whether that scholarship would come in football, basketball, or baseball, since Reeves played all three sports at a pretty high level. When I estimated that Reeves was likely to grow to 6'8" (which, in fact, is his current height), I certainly encouraged him to focus primarily on basketball. To say the least, Reeves has been incredibly blessed. Not just with the physical gifts to play the game of basketball but, just as importantly, with several gentleman that have assisted Reeves in not only learning the game, but in becoming a man.

Reeves really began to learn and understand the game of basketball through his 7th grade coach, Dennis Wilhelm (the father of our starting point guard). At that time, the only person that I paid for basketball was Reeves' first travel ball coach, Darryl Dickson, and that was for Reeves' portion of tournament entry fees. While in Junior High, Darryl was the first experienced coach to confirm to me that Reeves was likely to be an exceptional player, and he communicated that to my son. I also paid for a few basketball camps in the early days, most notably Gary Porter's camp at Modesto Christian. Local to where we live, Modesto Christian has been the most successful boys basketball program for the past 10+ years. Without compromising on education or our faith, Reeves moved from Big Valley Christian School to Modesto Christian starting in the 9th grade. The choice to change schools was primarily made by me, with the knowledge that Modesto Christian had graduated several scholarship athletes since Coach Porter took over the program. Quite simply, by changing schools I hoped to optimize Reeves' chance of playing college basketball on a full-ride scholarship. While that may have still occurred at Big Valley, I am of the opinion that playing with and against the best competition is invaluable in becoming the best player that one can be. After 9th grade, and playing 20+ games with the varsity, Coach Porter took a few players to Kentucky for, what was then, Tubby Smith's basketball camp. It was at that camp that Reeves received his first full-ride scholarship offer. I mention this because Reeves was still just 14 years old. Pretty heady stuff, needless to say. As Reeves' parents, it was (and still is) our job to remind him to be humble, and that he is blessed to be in the position that he is in.

As I'm sure Web and others will agree, perhaps the main ingredient to becoming a very good basketball player simply has to do with playing the game. At the level that Reeves and many others play, basketball cannot be a part-time hobby. To play well, basketball cannot just be played from November until your team gets bounced out of the playoffs (if you even make it that far). Successful programs and players play basketball year-round. Players need to work on all aspects of their games, strengths and weaknesses, with special emphasis on fundamentals. If your child is going to be good, they have to play the game. As for Reeves, he has been playing year-round since the 8th grade. It is his dedication to getting better (along with his natural gifts), and competing, that has made Reeves the player that he is today. Without question, if your son wants to improve as a basketball player and increase his chances of getting a scholarship, he needs to get on a travel team. While all travel teams are not created equal, your son simply needs to play. As for elite travel teams, generally speaking, if your son is good enough he will be found. In the meantime, get him on a team. I paid for tournaments, travel, hotels, and food in the early days just like most parents. Reeves has played travel ball with the Central Valley Hornets, Modesto Slam-N-Jam, Oakland Soldiers, and Pump-N-Run Elite. It was only by playing with the local talent that Reeves was discovered, so to speak, and invited to play with the Soldiers (and a fantastic coach in Lou Richie, with additional, much appreciated input and help from Carl Foster). While our experience with the Soldiers was incredible, after one year we decided to have Reeves play for Pump-N-Run Elite, having been invited to play with several of the top-ranked players in the country. Of course, not every player is going to be invited to play with the Soldiers or the Pumps. These are invitation-only teams. But if your son works hard and stays dedicated to being the best player that he can be, that is the true blessing that he will provide to whatever team he plays for. If a coach you trust believes that some extra, paid-for training would be appropriate for your son, write a check if you can. Keep in mind that boys mature at vastly different ages. Reeves was 11.5 lbs when he was born, so it wasn't hard to figure out that he was going to be a pretty big kid. Your son might be undersized, relative to his teammates, but that says nothing of his heart. There are players in the N.B.A. right now that aren't great athletes. What those players possess, though, is the heart and desire to play at the highest level. Through that sheer willpower, they have developed the skills necessary to play with and against the best players in the world. I tell every player I meet that they are good enough to play in the N.B.A. if they are willing to work hard enough to achieve that goal. Your son may develop early or he may develop late. Regardless of that time frame, it is his hard work that will pay dividends in the end.

The last thing I would like to stress to every parent, especially those that have children that are good at sports, is to simply let your kids be kids. If your child is good enough, through his hard work and dedication, to receive a free college education by playing basketball, regardless of division, God bless him. Please keep in mind, however, that if you think your son has what it takes to play college basketball, life is far too short to focus solely on that. Basketball is great but it should only be part of their lives. There has to be a balance, generally, if you want a happy and productive son (who happens to be a player). If a player is focused, I firmly believe that they can get their basketball work done in a couple of hours each day (maybe slightly more if they are mature enough to be lifting weights). This leaves quite a bit of free time to study, do chores, and hang out with family and friends. If Reeves continues to be blessed, he may get a chance to play basketball for 20 more years. That leaves a lot of life to live after his playing days are over.

Farmersdog,

First off, excellent post and congratulations on your son and UCLA. Ben Howland does a great job. Two things that ive gotten from you and Brew is that you keep your kids humble, and that you made a conscious decision to attend a particular high school because of the success of the past, and the reputation of the coach. VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Both you and Brew also point out that you saw the potential at the jr. high school level.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we can hear from some of the other parents in similar situations.

Great post by both dads. Two excellent players and kids. Clearly the physical gifts do show up at an early age. Its the mental stuff that needs to be stressed over a lifetime.

Sort of funny that I was talking about players listed height about 2 weeks ago in a posts and I thought reeves was closer to 6"8 than his listed 6"6.. I walked by him recently and he was huge.

Going back a little, other Pac-10 players from The City are Paul Fortier (SI/Washington) and Chris Munk (Riordan/USC). Marquise Kately (Riordan/Cal/Morgan St.) started out at a Pac-10 school then transferred.

Rob Jones of University of San Diego needs to drop 15lbs to be considered a late NBA prospect in two years. Did you see what Jones
did to UCONN? Good Luck Young Man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT