PCAL Week 9

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL WEEK 8

Last week 11-1 Overall 78-28

Gabilan-

Monterey beats Palma, Palma beats Hollister, Hollister beats Monterey. Yep, that all makes perfect sense. Salinas has established itself as the top school, again, in the Gabilan. They may of gotten a scheduling break by getting Soquel before the transfers came on, but they can’t control their league schedule. As far as second best? Maybe Soquel, not quite sure. Monterey has looked very bad the past couple weeks; Aptos is strong but not as dominant as in years past and Palma may be without its best playmaker. The rest of the season should be very entertaining.

Fri 10/13 Monterey (CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:00pm -Salinas is too deep for Monterey. They have found a RB1 who can run behind that big O-line. Monterey’s speed is still there, but they just do not have the depth to compete with Salinas. Salinas 34-14

Fri 10/13 Hollister (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm
- Hollister had it best win of the season last week, but this Soquel team is much better with their transfers now eligible. Soquel 24-7

Sat 10/14 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:00pm
- I have seen this game listed for Thursday night as well, either way Palma needs to win to help maintain the 38 year playoff streak. Aptos has been great running the ball until the red zone then nothing. They need to finish. Aptos 24-23

Mission North-

Santa Cruz still has not scored, but at lest they were able to play for all 4 qtrs last week. The division is still a 2 team race between Scott’s Valley and Seaside. They will settle that next week. North County gave Seaside all it could handle last week, but Seaside’s QB1 turned out to be too much.

Fri 10/13 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm -Just rooting for santa Cruz to score. North County 42-7

Fri 10/13 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 7:30pm – if Scott’s valley were to get upset, this might be it. MVC has a qb that likes to throw a lot, sometimes that can cause havoc to a high school secondary. SV can not be caught looking ahead to next weeks game. Scott’s Valley 21-18

Fri 10/13 Seaside (CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- Seaside should be able to take care of business vs Watsonville, setting up for a great matchup vs Scott’s Valley. Seaside 35-14

Mission South

Carmel takes it bye sitting in first place and undefeated. I don’t see them losing till the playoffs, Pacific Grove is also undefeated, but they have North Salinas, Alisal, King City and Carmel. they will be favored in only one of those games. The third place team, if it’s either North Salinas or Alisal, has a strong shot at an large bid this year as well.

Fri 10/13 King City (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -King City has been playing better, but Alisal ground an pound will eventually were down the Mustangs. Alisal 21-7

Fri 10/13 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs Pacific Grove (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Ok PG time to pay up. Congratulations on getting to 6-0. But now you have to play B division teams with winning records. North Salinas 28-14

Fri 10/13 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm
This might be Soledad’s best chance to earn a victory on the field. Rancho looks snap a 3 game skid. Rancho 20-18

Santa Lucia

This division is like the old Gabilan: RLS, Greenfield and Gonzales are clearly the top 3 teams while SLV, Harbor, Pajaro and Marina are a tier below. (And yes I just compared RLS, Greenfield and Gonzales to Salinas, Palma and Aptos. ;) ) This is the last week of “lopsided” games then the top 3 start playing each other. There will only be 1 playoff berth, so it is important to win the title.

Sat 10/14 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm: Pajaro has a nice win over SLV, but RLS is much better than SLV. RLS 35-10

Sat 10/14 Gonzales (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 12:30pm
It is long trip to the Santa Cruz mountains for a Saturday afternoon game for Gonzales. I expect a slow start with a strong finish. Gonzales 28-17

Sat 10/14 Greenfield (CA) vs Marina (CA) at Seaside (CA
), 7:30pm- Greenfield is just much better than marina this year. Greenfield 35-7

Last edited:
PCAL WEEK 8

Gabilan-

Monterey beats Palma, Palma beats Hollister, Hollister beats Monterey. Yep, that all makes perfect sense. Salinas has established itself as the top school, again, in the Gabilan. They may of gotten a scheduling break by getting Soquel before the transfers came on, but they can’t control their league schedule. As far as second best? Maybe Soquel, not quite sure. Monterey has looked very bad the past couple weeks; Aptos is strong but not as dominant as in years past and Palma may be without its best playmaker. The rest of the season should be very entertaining.

Fri 10/13 Monterey (CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:00pm -Salinas is too deep for Monterey. They have found a RB1 who can run behind that big O-line. Monterey’s speed is still there, but they just do not have the depth to compete with Salinas. Salinas 34-14

- Hollister had it best win of the season last week, but this Soquel team is much better with their transfers now eligible. Soquel 24-7

- I have seen this game listed for Thursday night as well, either way Palma needs to win to help maintain the 38 year playoff streak. Aptos has been great running the ball until the red zone then nothing. They need to finish. Aptos 24-23

Mission North-

Santa Cruz still has not scored, but at lest they were able to play for all 4 qtrs last week. The division is still a 2 team race between Scott’s Valley and Seaside. They will settle that next week. North County gave Seaside all it could handle last week, but Seaside’s QB1 turned out to be too much.

Fri 10/13 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm -Just rooting for santa Cruz to score. North County 42-7

Fri 10/13 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 7:30pm – if Scott’s valley were to get upset, this might be it. MVC has a qb that likes to throw a lot, sometimes that can cause havoc to a high school secondary. SV can not be caught looking ahead to next weeks game. Scott’s Valley 21-18

Fri 10/13 Seaside (CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- Seaside should be able to take care of business vs Watsonville, setting up for a great matchup vs Scott’s Valley. Seaside 35-14

Mission South

Carmel takes it bye sitting in first place and undefeated. I don’t see them losing till the playoffs, Pacific Grove is also undefeated, but they have North Salinas, Alisal, King City and Carmel. they will be favored in only one of those games. The third place team, if it’s either North Salinas or Alisal, has a strong shot at an large bid this year as well.

Fri 10/13 King City (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -King City has been playing better, but Alisal ground an pound will eventually were down the Mustangs. Alisal 21-7

Fri 10/13 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs Pacific Grove (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Ok PG time to pay up. Congratulations on getting to 6-0. But now you have to play B division teams with winning records. North Salinas 28-14

This might be Soledad’s best chance to earn a victory on the field. Rancho looks snap a 3 game skid. Rancho 20-18

Santa Lucia

This division is like the old Gabilan: RLS, Greenfield and Gonzales are clearly the top 3 teams while SLV, Harbor, Pajaro and Marina are a tier below. (And yes I just compared RLS, Greenfield and Gonzales to Salinas, Palma and Aptos. ;) ) This is the last week of “lopsided” games then the top 3 start playing each other. There will only be 1 playoff berth, so it is important to win the title.

Sat 10/14 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm: Pajaro has a nice win over SLV, but RLS is much better than SLV. RLS 35-10

It is long trip to the Santa Cruz mountains for a Saturday afternoon game for Gonzales. I expect a slow start with a strong finish. Gonzales 28-17

), 7:30pm- Greenfield is just much better than marina this year. Greenfield 35-7
I really have to comend you on your through outlining of your weekly
spread. I don't watch any of your teams, but the time that you take, and what you put out is terrific.

Here's wishing you great football.

Reactions: RLS13
Poor strategy and clock management by Monterey last night. They put together a great drive to end the game. They had all 3 timeouts and 4th and 2 from the 5 yard line with about 45 seconds left. Coaches elected to allow the clock to run all the way down to decide the game on 1 play. They had Salinas on their heels the whole drive gassed out. I question why the coaches didnt try to pound the ball to pick up the first down (possibly score) and get more shots at the endzone. They instead elected for a 1 play jump pass from the 5 yard line that failed. They had the time and timeouts to extend the drive for more shots.

I thought Monterey outplayed Salinas . They had some tough breaks with penalties and missed deep ball shots. They lack depth in the trenches but have some high effort guys leaving it all on the field all game long. I thought they were the more physical and athletic team. I was surpised Monterey didn't take more shots down field. When White had time, Salinas had no chance covering their WRs. Monterey ran the ball really well in the 2nd half which should have opened up some big play opportunities. They will be on the cusp for DII or DIII for playoffs. The Aptos game could decide where they end up. If they end up in DIII, that division will be fun to watch with PCAL teams assuming it shakes out how its being projected.

That was the first time I got to see Salinas play this year. They do not have the size that they have had in the past. Their skill position group is no where near what it has been. Tough shoes to fill from last years squad. I see why they have struggled to produce points against quality opponets. I think losing their OC has had an impact as well. The defense is well coached as usual. They play an aggressive scheme. If they win the Gab, the points will almost guarantee they get put in DI. They will be outmatched there. Coach Zenk has built a local power with Salinas high who should be the top dog every year in the Gab, but the top teams in CCS are tough to compete with year in and year out.

Agee with your assessment on Salinas v Monterey. Monterey also can't hit extrapoints, while Salinas kicking game was superior. Both teams had penalty issues including Salinas, but Monterey running attack was a surprise and Monterey QB is a load when he decides to run. Think it also was a bad game for Salinas but have to hand it to Monterey for sticking close and having a chance to tie it at least at the end.

PCAL WEEK 8

Gabilan-

Mission North-

Mission South

Santa Lucia

Not sure who you were referring to Palma's best player maybe being out. Saldate played the whole game and broke several long ones. Palma did what I thought they should do at the beginning of the season and that was put Martinez in at RB most of the time (and Eli Dukes came up from frosh which was a surprise and had 3 TDs, one 45 yards) and have Molinari at WR more, and that opened up offense, and Nunes unlike in Monterey game ran the ball. Nunes is very athletic and strong. I thought Palma's DBs really played bad at times but when Nunes was at Safety and Molinary was at safety it shored things up. Molinari. Not sure why they haven't played Saldate on defense this season. They should beat Soquel due to their balance on offense. Palma v Salinas should be closer this year than last year.

Last edited:
I was referring to Saldate. I heard he was injured and might not play. Agree with you on why he is not going both ways, he is a special athlete. That was a huge win for them probably secures 4th place (at least) league finish, But they have been just too inconsistent (for Palma) on both side of the ball this year. I don't think they get past Soquel. (I also chose Aptos, so I am no expert)

I was referring to Saldate. I heard he was injured and might not play. Agree with you on why he is not going both ways, he is a special athlete. That was a huge win for them probably secures 4th place (at least) league finish, But they have been just too inconsistent (for Palma) on both side of the ball this year. I don't think they get past Soquel. (I also chose Aptos, so I am no expert)
They also brought up Frosh Eli Dukes who played RB and had 3 TDs - one for 45 yards. He was mainly a WR on Frosh. RB on frosh team is also going to be a major impact player but doesn't have the size yet (but will). In 7 games frosh average 31 pts (but could score a lot more) and only gives up a little over 4 points a game. Tackle on frosh team is 6-5 240+lbs and 7 or 8 other players 6-0 or bigger. Their defense is very fast. They have over 65 players. This class is the best class in the Monterey Bay area in years. They probably have 3 or 4 players that could play varsity this season (even have the size). QB is going to be good. Size and good decision making. If Palma gets another good class next season when co-ed school starts they will be very competitive in CCS in 2 years (they will really have a tough year next season). Salinas frosh are very down and Palma is probably 30pt favorite over any frosh team in Mbay (and probably competitive with most of the WCAL). Soquel this week could be a good matchup. Salinas JV team is special as well and the juniors on this varsity team is very good class. Salinas has another couple very good years - better next season. Monterey will have most of their skill players back.

I think Palma they will surprise next week. They always have trouble with stopping Aptos Wing T but tightened up in the second half especially the end. They should match up better with Soquel at least on defense and offense way more balanced than Hollister. Palma will score on Soquel. Palma blew it against Monterey. Monterey plays good defense but Nunes for whatever reason didn't carry the ball on keeps until second half. I think Palma o-coordinator is learning and they have been penalty riddled which they need to fix. It will be a battle this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLS13
@NorCalSportsFan you would have to assume Palma will bring up a handful of Freshman for playoffs right? I would anticipate a record number of sophomores on Varsity next year. Who are the frosh QB and RB? If they are good, they should be competing for the starting spots on varsity next year. Dukes has been a nice addition to the varisty team already.

Salinas JV team is massive. I'm honestly surpised they dont have some of those kids on Varsity.

Poor strategy and clock management by Monterey last night. They put together a great drive to end the game. They had all 3 timeouts and 4th and 2 from the 5 yard line with about 45 seconds left. Coaches elected to allow the clock to run all the way down to decide the game on 1 play. They had Salinas on their heels the whole drive gassed out. I question why the coaches didnt try to pound the ball to pick up the first down (possibly score) and get more shots at the endzone. They instead elected for a 1 play jump pass from the 5 yard line that failed. They had the time and timeouts to extend the drive for more shots.

I thought Monterey outplayed Salinas . They had some tough breaks with penalties and missed deep ball shots. They lack depth in the trenches but have some high effort guys leaving it all on the field all game long. I thought they were the more physical and athletic team. I was surpised Monterey didn't take more shots down field. When White had time, Salinas had no chance covering their WRs. Monterey ran the ball really well in the 2nd half which should have opened up some big play opportunities. They will be on the cusp for DII or DIII for playoffs. The Aptos game could decide where they end up. If they end up in DIII, that division will be fun to watch with PCAL teams assuming it shakes out how its being projected.

That was the first time I got to see Salinas play this year. They do not have the size that they have had in the past. Their skill position group is no where near what it has been. Tough shoes to fill from last years squad. I see why they have struggled to produce points against quality opponets. I think losing their OC has had an impact as well. The defense is well coached as usual. They play an aggressive scheme. If they win the Gab, the points will almost guarantee they get put in DI. They will be outmatched there. Coach Zenk has built a local power with Salinas high who should be the top dog every year in the Gab, but the top teams in CCS are tough to compete with year in and year out.
Salinas also lost one of their top skill players early on in WR Emarrcis Turner who is a D1 prospect on both sides of the ball.

Key Palma frosh

Offense:

#5 Patrick Driscoll, QB = 5'11" ~160 - I think he'll need a year of JV but maybe he will be up if he gets a good off season mentoring and work. He's good in the pocket and hits his receivers. Needs to work some on technique but high side and relatively mobile but more pocket passer (the backup QB is more mobile less of a passer). Next season Palma varsity QB is open.

#1 Isaak Hernandez, 5-6, ~150, needs to grow but very quick, fast and shifty and knows what he is doing. He is physical for his size. He runs hard and downhill when he needs to. Top RB in Salinas Youth league. He will have to grow more but could be up. Last RB that was up as a frosh and played varsity 4 years was JC Escutia who was 5-9, 180, and was not as fast but bigger (and this last Game Eli Dukes who isn't the back that gets the most carries). He could be up for playoffs.

Josiah Castanada, OT/DT, 6-5, ~ 240+ - he'll be up. Surprisingly good technique. He needs to mature in strength and aggressiveness, but he gets his pancake blocks.

Kaden Colon, OT (6-2 ~ 230+), starter on line

Eli Dukes, RB/WR - 5-10, 167, he came up to varsity against Aptos and had 45 yard TD run and 3 TDs

I think more on defense will be up. They are quick and swarming and tackle really well. I think their corners play run support really well. I really like watching their defense. They seem to be a mismatch for most teams they play and don't give a lot of yards. Line and LBs. Younger McKay whose brother starts as junior and as soph, younger Manzur who's brother was one of Palma's best all time defensive linemen a few years ago, younger Lomboy... I could see quite a few from defense coming up. One of the wide-out receivers is very good and could come up. I have their starters listed but they rotate a core in. They have a few kids that after JV and time should be really good as well. They play defense really well and have some size. They up pretty early on most teams and sub after that and so even starters get playing time which is good at this level. They get up quickly and their defense takes over. A couple years ago Palma had 8 sophs up on varsity.

Last edited:
Reactions: thehookup55
oh ya forgot about him. He played quite a bit as a sophomore. What happened to him?
Practice was injured. Out for season. Not sure the injury but season ending I believe. He was their fastest and most athletic receiver and defensive starter.

Palma frosh 14 Soquel 6 Final
undefeated going into Salinas game. Palma's Eli Duke who moved up to varsity and had 3 TDs last week against Aptos in first varsity game being out looks like impacted team a little but defense still really good.

Other really good frosh teams include Serra, Folsom, DLS, San Ramon Valley....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT