ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood dealing with injuries

Hmmm. Doc says, "But in the NorCal Open there would be three or four teams we’d really have trouble with." Sounds to me like he's saying they're still a top four or five team. Doesn't that mean they should still be included? And if this player had been injured at the beginning of the season and was now back playing at full strength, would Doc be advocating that his team belongs in the NorCal Open? Maybe coaches should always just say no comment on this topic.

If it's Pinewood vs. Mitty for the CCS Open title, Pinewood is a lock for a NorCal Open slot. By the way, Pinewood hosts Miramonte in the very near future. Should be interesting.

I plan on going to that game. Not that I think the score will be close, but just because the gym is close and I want to see both teams play. And if the score is close, that will be a bonus.

since MM has refused to ship my recliner down to Pinewood, I too would appreciate your observations on the game.

WTF!!!
This is hilarious!!!!

Dude...I mean Doc relax ....buddy
we are not nominating you for the Supreme Court!!!

Does it matter if a players is out and don't matter if 2 or 3 are out for the eest of the playoffs. Maybe there was a team that Pinewood play earlier in the year that had an injured player or players. I'm sure Pinewood didn't say, " We shouldn't play this game because the team is not a full strength". Come on the hilarious because Pinewood would run up the score anyway. So Doc wants to go back to D5 so he can win his 20th State Championship because in the CCS nobody move up after consecutive wins in their section. I think because they have been winning all year the should be in the open regardless how they do in the CCS Open. But now we can sit back and see how much pull Pinewood has on the CIF committee. Sometimes it comes to that old saying," Money talks and B.S. walks!" And we know they have money?

That's pretty amusing to think about, really ...

So a Pinewood parent finds out the names of the committee members for CCS, and visits them at work. The conversation goes something like this:

Parent: "I hear you're on the seeding committee for CCS, and as a token for all the effort you've put in this year and in years past, the Pinewood parents got together and decided to give you a little gift.:

[Hands over manila envelope filled with 20s]

Parent: "We hope you understand that with Pinewood's injuries, they really can't be an Open team. You understand that, we're sure ..."

Committee member [checking out interior of envelope]: "Why, um, thanks. I couldn't agree more that such a small school doesn't belong in the Open. It just wouldn't be right."

Repeat that four times, maybe with a contract for someone's company, or a job for a struggling daughter, and voila, Pinewood is back in D5.

After all, there's so much more money for a state champion that there is for a team that goes to the Open and loses ...

While his quote " there would be 3 or 4 teams we would have trouble with" is sort of absurd, it does make sense that the committee consider injuries in respect to the present strength of a team before committing them to Open. That would also include additions as well as subtractions in respect to when and to whom the teams victories on their records occurred.

Clay
That's not what I'm saying at all but what am saying if they aren't not in the this year then being a school with alot money influence. What I mean about that is school with rich history usual get their way when the want too. No money exchange just money is power and that's the way the world works and they have plenty of it. Don't down play it!! For example, when Divisions was broke up into enrollment this change the face of State championships. Look at history, name more than 3 teams that have championships before the enrollment in girls basketball. Money is power when this happened.

I personally am a firm believer that NO D5 team should EVER be in the OPEN. We are talking about 300-400 kids vs schools that may be 3000-4000. UNLESS the D5 program decides to opt up at section time.

>Look at history, name more than 3 teams that have championships before the enrollment in girls basketball. Money is power when this happened.

Don't quite get this. What do you mean exactly?

Name more then 3 teams that won multi state championship before the enrollment of eras girls basketball. I can name 2 off hand that have been powerhouses before the enrollment eras. There should have been enrollment and private school divisions to even the playing field. The 2 teams that have been powerhouses since the 80's until now are BOD and Carondelet. Great rich tradition for centuries.

Mitty, Pinewood and Sacred Heart Cathedral have roughly 20 state titles between them. Enrollment-based divisions have been in place for more than 30 years.

Campolindo won 4 times in the 90's. of course, you're forgetting SMS--multiple titles in multiple divisions. since you're discussing a statewide classification, there are many, many schools in Socal with multiple titles. don't get your point, respect. multi-time winners in enrollment divisions means we should have a classification system where nobody wins twice? in 30+years? when were divisions "broke up into enrollment"? naming only 2 "powerhouses" since the 80's, and claiming that their winning traditions go back "centuries"? need work on both math and history.

Last edited:
Brea-Olinda and Berkeley have won quite a few state titles as well ...

I still don't quite get the point ...

It was in the early 90's when the changes of enrollment was change. That when BOD and Carondelet was move out of D1. Berkeley won some titles but not like BOD won at least one in every century from 80's on. I know the history very well. Back in the late 80's the want to start a super league but most school that wasn't going to be apart of it vote against it. But now they have Open which is the same as super league was going to be at one time.

I was talking about D1 like it was in the 80's not like it is in 90's to today Divisions. How team won D1 or the open. Not the lower divisions. D1 IS WHERE THE BEST USE TO BE.

Clay
The point D1 was what the Open is today!!!!!!

Last edited:
Game Saturday should be hilarious...
the Duck vs the Tank
so the game is at PW....

if PW loses by 20 at home are they out of the ccs open
is there case strong enough....
do they need to lose by what 30... to not make the ccs open...
since they already have said they don't want the norcal open...
why not do the deed...let's make it official;)

In the early '90s, divisions were divided by enrollment, just as they are now, and various tweaks were applied -- most notably allowing teams to opt up but not forcing them to -- to try to balance things.

I was involved with NCS as far back as the '70s, and I never recall a time that enrollment wasn't the main criterion for division placement.

As for the superleague that was discussed, the idea was eventually discarded not because other schools disagreed (though there were some disagreements), but rather that it didn't work for every sport and the transportation costs were excessive. The proposed members were separated by long distances and it simply wasn't practical to get to weekday away games, again especially in other sports.

It was in the early 90's when the changes of enrollment was change. That when BOD and Carondelet was move out of D1. Berkeley won some titles but not like BOD won at least one in every century from 80's on. I know the history very well. Back in the late 80's the want to start a super league but most school that wasn't going to be apart of it vote against it. But now they have Open which is the same as super league was going to be at one time.

I was talking about D1 like it was in the 80's not like it is in 90's to today Divisions. How team won D1 or the open. Not the lower divisions. D1 IS WHERE THE BEST USE TO BE.

Clay
The point D1 was what the Open is today!!!!!!

RespectBBGame,

I think I get the main point you were initially trying to make, that some have more pull than others, which is true in the world most of us live in.

I often laugh at how many I hear who are afraid to challenge themselves. From coaches to parents, down to the children, who are influenced by the adults.

There are many teams and players who prefer to be given things they have not worked hard to deserve. The key words here are "selfishness", and entitlement.

From players automatically given playing time and starts time after time regardless of what is best for a team. To letting stats determine the value of a player regardless to their overall impact on the "team ".

I have heard too many times.... parents, coaches, and children/ players making excuse after excuse about not wanting to play in the open.

How about preparing yourself for the challenge and being prepared whether your put into the open or not. Let the so call committee determine things and do your best regardless to who you play? Sure some have legitimate cases for why they should or should not be in the open. Well handle that A.D. and head coach to committee behind closed doors. The children don't need to know when adults are afraid or feel the risk is not worth the payoff.

Although I can agree St. Marys of Stockton is head and shoulders over the rest of the field.... even they can be upset by just about any (well coached) good team that would be put into the open. Now of course for the most part that is highly unlikely. Most coaches and players will be mentally whipped before the tipoff. The point is only a half way decent team will make it into the open anyway.

That's a victory right there !

I guess gone are the days when challenging yourself and making sacrifices to get better are what matters most. Today is more about selfishness and doing what is the easiest. And promoting the characterless sense of entitlement over paying the price to get better.

That is why I think competition should be viewed more as a challenge to get better, than I gotta beat my opponent every time.

I believe if we change the way we view competition, we would define more winners, and show losers how to "Win Anyway".

Last edited:
Until an invitation to the open is more highly regarded than a lower division state title, coaches, parents and players will want to compete in divisions that give them the best chance to win a state title.

Paytc
That has been my point all along. Some coach dont realize that they are teaching to look for the eazy way out is not better then working hard for what you want out of life. My coaches through the year taught me take hard work to be successful in life. In the working world there is so much competition to get a job or to keep your position unless you are a silver spoon kid. Some coach these days are very selfish and only look for how many wins they can get.

Reactions: Paytc
Until an invitation to the open is more highly regarded than a lower division state title, coaches, parents and players will want to compete in divisions that give them the best chance to win a state title.

Exactly. Which is why only the Open Division champion should be called a state champion ... the others should all be called Divisional Champions or some such nomenclature. You can still put a nice banner on the wall, but only one banner each year says "California State Champion."

Of course it won't happen because TV won't pay for 10 games that aren't billed as state championships.

Exactly. Which is why only the Open Division champion should be called a state champion ... the others should all be called Divisional Champions or some such nomenclature. You can still put a nice banner on the wall, but only one banner each year says "California State Champion."

Of course it won't happen because TV won't pay for 10 games that aren't billed as state championships.

It's kind of like the TOC tournament. Sure there are different levels of success as there should be. But I think most people know the higher the division the bigger the accomplishment. I think there should be different levels of success so those who are not as talented still have higher goals to aim at and feel a sense of accomplishment too. But you should not intentionally duck a challenge if you are selected to take it on unless you have a legitimate reason. Not just because you selfishly want to win a championship because it's easy.

Reactions: observer22
Just one point: Winning a California state championship, in any division, is almost never easy. Even if the margin is always 10 or more points, battling for that long through the playoffs is far from easy.

But of course it's easier to win a D5 title than a D1 title with the same group of players.

Clay

But there are alot of school that don't belong in D3 to D5 that could win a title in D1 or D2. D4 is so strong its always a battle to win a title with teams like Salesian, SMB, Cardinal Newman, West Campus and Brookside. Pinewood of is another team would have a great chance to win titles. The systems in the CIF is just so messed-up because they all run different ways. The CIF needs to run the same way in the whole State. WON'T THAT BE NICE!!!!!!!

I've always said since I came from Nevada to California that I can't understand how its equitable to compete for a state championship when you have 9 different sections with 9 different sets of rules.

It's actually 10 sections with 10 different sets of rules -- and it's really dumb. When I talk to people in other states and they start to complain about their state associations, I just mention that every section has a different start date for basketball practice, sometimes varying by months, and they quickly realize that their situation isn't as bad as they thought.

MM 32 PW 22...
Pwood goes 10-0 run
MM 32 Pwood 32
MM 5-0 run...
MM 37 PWood 32 halftime...
Looks like the kids revolt and aren't paying attention to their coach...
:)... ....go Rubio go...sorry getting excited about the other big game

MM outscores Pwood 20-8 in the 3rd.... MM 57 Pwood 40....
the Tank is back????

Last edited:
Final MM 73 Pwood 57....
Sounds like a push so Pwood will have to tank the CCS Semi to be kept out of the Open

some numbers from the paper this a.m. combined, 13 FTs attempted, 21 3's made. Pinewood made 13 3's, and if you assume their season's average of 33%, they'd have had to launch 40. must have been raining 3's in Los Altos Hills. Ionescu misses a triple by 1 assist 20-14-9.

southbay--if you were there, any comments?

Pinewood hung with MM for almost three quarters. They just ran out of gas - you cold see their shots getting flatter as the game went on. I was impressed by PW's ability to break the MM press, plus they displayed incredible ball movement. Every offensive set had at least 3-4 passes. MM is deep, they can shoot and they push the ball. Their post player (African American gal) was very good around the basket, both in shooting and rebounding. Understand she may be going to Eastern Washington. Smaller guard hit 4-5 threes.

Couple of interesting notes: MM starts just about every set to their left. The ball does get reversed, but initially drives go left. Sabrina sees the floor extremely well - she made some cross court passes down to open baseline players that were impressive. She also plays really hard and with an attitude - she was not shy about dishing out some punishment. One other thing - I didn't understand why she was still out there with 3 minutes left and a 20 point lead. She came out of the game just one time and that was in the first half.

Great crowd and very nice parents on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT