ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood v Mitty

Is it fair to state that Pinewood, sans a 6-footer in the middle and with little quality depth to speak of, gets more out of less than any other elite program in NorCal?
This has been true for 20 years. Doc would carry 8 back in the day and would still get more fast break lay ups after opponent's makes than any other team I remember. Used to go in to games thinking you could wear them down and midway through the third your saying just get back.

Reactions: Paytc
I think it also allowed Pinewood to be better prepared for SMS. One could argue anyway and have a valid point. Because as I have been saying all along before the open division seeds were selected Mitty, Pinewood, and SMS were slightly better than all the rest. But I bet both SMS and Mitty, if given the option, would have preferred to ( rest late in the season) not play Friday and send their people out to scout Pinewood and/ or anyone else they considered a major threat.

One major point I was making is the decision Carondelet made hastily effected far more than just the 10 or 11 Carondelet players who acted responsibly and should have been allowed to finish the season after working as hard as they did to position themselves for a chance at a state championship. That decision had an impact. I don't think anyone can convince me that it had no effect outside of Carondelet.
I agree completely. Whether it helped or hurt no one knows, but it definitely affected the Open division.

they have outstanding defensive rebounding fundamentals. MM take note.

You forgot to mention how discipline they are. Or to say they have also all bought into the "team" concept. They want to make the extra pass for the best shot rather than just lean too heavily on one person or one offensive approach. They play in all phases of the game and don't just overlook glaring weaknesses even after they have a 30 or 40 point victory. No instead their aim and focus is on what can we do to get even better. While many other teams are too busy getting caught up in the present hype and present success. Pinewood is another top class, top notch program. And they always play a fun brand to watch IMO.

Congratulations to them to this point. Best wishes in the State Championship game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
When you are able to recruit the best kids around you should be at a

high level every year. Show me a coach who takes a bunch of average high school kids from the community and wins, that to me is a great coach. Not to take anything away from the coaches at Mitty, Sacred Heart, Pinewood, or SMS, but let's cut thru the chase, they get the best kids because they recruit. They work hard and do a great job, but let's remember that they have no boundries.

Is it fair to state that Pinewood, sans a 6-footer in the middle and with little quality depth to speak of, gets more out of less than any other elite program in NorCal?

PW has a girl committed to Stanford.
Has another (Astrom) who is a mid major D1 talent. A D2 PG (UCSD). And a couple of frosh that look like they are probably D2 talent. I would say DOC has them EXACTLY where they they should be.

On the other hand....

Perhaps its certain other coaches with RIDICULOUS talent that are underacheiving.

PW has a girl committed to Stanford.
Has another (Astrom) who is a mid major D1 talent. A D2 PG (UCSD). And a couple if frosh that look like they are probably D2 talent. I would say DOC has them EXACTLY where they they should be.

On the other hand....

Perhaps its certain other coaches with RIDICULOUS talent that are underacheiving.

Trust me northbaybbguru,

If I had a few more dollars and could afford to live in or around Los Altos Hills at the time my children were in high school desiring to play basketball I wouldn't hesitate to send my child to play for Sue at Mitty or Doc at Pinewood. And you can bet in either case my daughters would come out far better than they went into the programs. I certainly can't say that for every program. Both programs have a high level of coaching and attract high level players. Support is what it all boils down to. Even the best benefit from the best support. Put a good or great player in a less than ideal coaching program and you can bet that player will not reach their max potential 95% of the time. While some that aren't necessarily that good benefit from the success and support around them playing in programs like the ones Doc and Sue have put together.

In this life those that have an advantage most definitely have the advantage.

Last edited:
and with an SHC reference here, relevant to educators: if you stress learning over test results, your kids can ace the final. although Mitty and Pinewood handle the weekly quizzes pretty well.

When you are able to recruit the best kids around you should be at a

high level every year. Show me a coach who takes a bunch of average high school kids from the community and wins, that to me is a great coach. Not to take anything away from the coaches at Mitty, Sacred Heart, Pinewood, or SMS, but let's cut thru the chase, they get the best kids because they recruit. They work hard and do a great job, but let's remember that they have no boundries.

Some (probably a minority) of the best coaching actually goes on in strictly neighborhood public school programs that don't benefit from extensive AAU club involvement or open enrollment or any other special assistance. But few know about it because the talent is typically less than fabulous. These coaches labor in relative obscurity in the bigger NorCal picture. But they are out there. And good for them. One more thing: With on-campus coaches becoming an endangered species for both boys and girls, finding (and retaining) a solid, professional walk-on mentor is extremely difficult. That goes for boys and girls. Sadly, though, the females often get leftovers and the turnover can be hellacious and detrimental. Private/parochial schools learned that strong girls' athletic programs can benefit enrollment and the bottom line. Public school officials don't worry about enrollment or dollars; those are a given by law. Too often, their athletic programs become an afterthought, a necessary burr under the saddle.

Some of my best years as a head coach, I believe, came with undertalented teams that barely reached .500, or didn't at all. Of course, when I had lots of talent and won lots of games, I was considered much more accomplished.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT